2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

KBS S-Taper shafts

ddetts

Does anybody have any experience or information on these? There's seems to have been little information or fanfare surrounding them. They're currently shown on The Golf Works under KBS shafts but I don't see any information for them on KBS's website.

https://www.golfworks.com/kbs-s-taper-chrome-355-iron-shafts/p/FS0050/

They're not cheap at $55 a shaft

From The Golf Works site:

KBS S-Taper Chrome .355" Iron Shafts

Features:

• Engineered to provide superior feel while maintaining shot workability for players seeking a mid-launch and low to mid spin shaft.
  • Shares the same bend profile as the KBS Tour shafts only with elongated step patterns to control spin, generating stable performance throughout the swing.
  • Chrome finish featuring a 360 degree cured decal for lasting durability.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's new for 2017 and also the most expensive KBS steel shaft. Haven't seen any reviews, but In terms of launch height and spin rate, the new S-Taper falls right in-between the Tour V and Kim Braly's signature KBS Tour shaft. The weight is the same as the Tour, (120 grams in Stiff Flex).

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Sounds like a lower spinning version of KBS Tour to me, but I thought they already had the Tour V for that.

The Tour V was also to promote higher ball flight as well. So I'm assuming that this is just a lower spinning version of the KBS Tour shaft.

According to the KBS fitting chart shown in Golfworks latest 2017 catalog, (page 114), the Tour V launches lower and spins less than the KBS Tour. The new S-Taper falls right in-between those two. The original C-Taper is still the lowest launching and lowest spinning KBS shaft by a good margin.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Sounds like a lower spinning version of KBS Tour to me, but I thought they already had the Tour V for that.

The Tour V was also to promote higher ball flight as well. So I'm assuming that this is just a lower spinning version of the KBS Tour shaft.

According to the KBS fitting chart shown in Golfworks latest Clubmaker's catalog, the Tour V launches lower and spins less than the KBS Tour. The new S-Taper falls right in-between those two. The original C-Taper is still the lowest launching and lowest spinning KBS shaft by a good margin.

Yes sir you are correct, wrong info from a club builder! Thanks for the catch.

From an email I received on Monday:

Make your game feel "$Money$" immediately. The KBS Tour $ - Taper has finally arrived will officially available online and in finer golf retailers worldwide on Monday March 6th. This will be the newest steel shaft in the KBS Golf Shafts line after continually delivering the best steel shafts on the market for ten years. Head of research and development and the brain behind the best steel shafts in golf, longtime KBS designer Kim Braly wanted the KBS Tour $ - Taper to provide superior feel while maintaining shot work-ability for players seeking a mid-launch and low spin shaft. The KBS Tour $ - Taper shares the same bend profile as the KBS TOUR with elongated step patterns for spin, generating a stable performance throughout the swing. KBS is proud to offer the KBS Tour $ - Taper in 2 finishes: Black PVD and Classic KBS Chrome, KBS Tour $-Taper will come in the following Flex and Weights, R 110g, R+ 115g, S 120g, S+ 125g and X 130g. And Innovated for the KBS Tour $-Taper is our first ever 360° cured decal for a one of a kind look on your equipment. This shaft has already been adopted on Tour by some of the games biggest names and will continue to grow as the performance and word spreads throughout Golf. Finally you have,

Tour Feel and Money Performance. | Player Driven. Tour Proven. |

Kim Braly - "The KBS Tour changed the performance and feel of steel golf shafts on Tour when it was unveiled almost ten years ago, The KBS Tour $ - Taper will do the same for a new generation of golfers looking for the best golf shafts on the market. The KBS Tour $ - Taper is for the player looking for a straighter and stronger ball flight, with lower spin resulting in a Tour caliber performance and feel."

According to the KBS fitting chart shown in Golfworks latest Clubmaker's catalog, the Tour V launches lower and spins less than the KBS Tour. The new S-Taper falls right in-between those two. The original C-Taper is still the lowest launching and lowest spinning KBS shaft by a good margin.

I was trying to find an image of that chart to upload, but was unsuccessful.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hmm....

Wonder what the comparison would be between the S-Taper vs C-Taper and Tour models?

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

I still find it interesting that there's no evidence of the shaft on KBS's website yet. Perhaps they're too overwhelmingly busy to update the website?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

From an email I received on Monday:

Make your game feel "$Money$" immediately. The KBS Tour $ - Taper has finally arrived and will be officially available online and in finer golf retailers worldwide on Monday March 6th. This will be the newest steel shaft in the KBS Golf Shafts line after continually delivering the best steel shafts on the market for ten years. Head of research and development and the brain behind the best steel shafts in golf, longtime KBS designer Kim Braly wanted the KBS Tour $ - Taper to provide superior feel while maintaining shot work-ability for players seeking a mid-launch and low spin shaft. The KBS Tour $ - Taper shares the same bend profile as the KBS TOUR with elongated step patterns for spin, generating a stable performance throughout the swing. KBS is proud to offer the KBS Tour $ - Taper in 2 finishes: Black PVD and Classic KBS Chrome, KBS Tour $-Taper will come in the following Flex and Weights, R 110g, R+ 115g, S 120g, S+ 125g and X 130g. And Innovated for the KBS Tour $-Taper is our first ever 360° cured decal for a one of a kind look on your equipment. This shaft has already been adopted on Tour by some of the games biggest names and will continue to grow as the performance and word spreads throughout Golf. Finally you have,

Tour Feel and Money Performance. | Player Driven. Tour Proven. |

Kim Braly - "The KBS Tour changed the performance and feel of steel golf shafts on Tour when it was unveiled almost ten years ago, The KBS Tour $ - Taper will do the same for a new generation of golfers looking for the best golf shafts on the market. The KBS Tour $ - Taper is for the player looking for a straighter and stronger ball flight, with lower spin resulting in a Tour caliber performance and feel."

If this is a direct copy/paste from an email KBS put out, they should spend some "$" on a proofreader before investing any more "$" in developing new shafts that are in between the Tour V and C-Taper.

I'm not one to be the "grammar police", but there haven't been any posts lately mentioning anuses, or people being wronged by buying something they didn't expect/offered a full refund/refusing said refund in the DOND section so I'm bored!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Supposedly 3/6/17 Monday these are available. ....so more stable, heavier tour V I'm guessing

Better be game-changing for $55/per. I'm talking Rocketballzier better than Tour Vs for that price. Of course a lot of guys from GRX will by them, because it's the latest/greatest thing since sliced bread, but will the average Joe be able to tell the difference?

I'm not a hater. Have Tour V(X) ss x 1 in my irons currently, and have Tour S in my backup set, and have C-Taper S in my backups to my backups (this is GRX isn't it?) These would just have to be phenomenal at this price for me to even consider switching.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Same weights as KBS Tour, C-Taper, FLT. Similar feeling to KBS Tour. But lower spinning. Maintains a similar launch to tour. but spin rates lower than Tour V. Tour V in my opinion felt firm. Not as firm as C-Taper. This maintains the feel of Tour just with better spin rates. I have had a set for testing for awhile. Heard rumblings Pat Perez dropped 1,000 Rpm's when he switched to them. Apparently he is a hi spin player.......price seems hi...but if it works....

Same weights as KBS Tour, C-Taper, FLT. Similar feeling to KBS Tour. But lower spinning. Maintains a similar launch to tour. but spin rates lower than Tour V. Tour V in my opinion felt firm. Not as firm as C-Taper. This maintains the feel of Tour just with better spin rates. I have had a set for testing for awhile. Heard rumblings Pat Perez dropped 1,000 Rpm's when he switched to them. Apparently he is a hi spin player.......price seems hi...but if it works....

So are they game changers for you? Will you keep them in play? How do they compare to PX, PX LZ, and Modus?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 month later...

I thought the gap between the standard KBS Tour and the Tour V was pretty 'tight' as it was, so surprised that it appears they're trying to fit a shaft in between to be honest.

it seems the tour vs play softer. example my profile on the fit system i fit to stiff in c taper and tour but it says x in the tour v. so my guess i s when you compare s tour to stiff v you are actually playing like a soft stepped v.....its silly but maybe they have figured that out and are accounting for it in the fitting.

• 1 month later...

Anyone gaming these? Im gonna throw them in my 545/745 next week

I've been playing them for a few weeks. To me it's like they took a kbs tour shaft and changed up the step pattern, almost looks step-less. The feel of them is one of the best feeling shafts I've played, ballflight is similar to kbs tour but more flat. They get up there and stay up there. I think he made it in response to project x Lz. However I think the s taper is better, lz played too soft and spiny for me. Only thing I'm getting use to is the 360 shaft label, don't like seeing it during the swing and can't remove it but it does kinda look cool

Anyone gaming these? Im gonna throw them in my 545/745 next week

I think they'd suit me great but at $55 a shaft I think they're nuts. $55 for steel??

I like the flight and spin of the tour V 120x I'm playing but the feel isn't so hot and the tips bend every 6-7 months.

Sure, they send me new ones when they bend, but they SHOULDNT BEND IN THE FIRST PLACE. They admit it's a problem yet they never have reinforced the tips. Makes me wonder if they finally addressed the issue with these.

Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.

I'm a huge fan or them to say the least

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W