#TaylorMadeTuesday at The Kingdom, Feb 26-28, 2017 (pics added pg1,16,19 & 20)

HipCheck

Congrats on the awesome drivers guys! Did we ever get a definitive answer on what the difference was between the Tour Issue heads and retail heads?

No difference, tour heads are just tested and their specs measured. I'm sure there are people who will say that's wrong, probably to keep sale prices up. That is what I was told a couple years ago on the Sldr Trip.

I was one of the SLDR winners a few years ago and I remember that question being asked (were you at the East Bay location?) and we got the exact same answer you give above. It would be cost prohibitive to build with different materials etc

I was at The Kingdom Reynolds Plantation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Kroll is a very good player, and we found out he spent a few years on the Nike Tour (now Web.com) back in the 90’s. It’s apparent, as he’s one of those guys that just controls his ball all the way around the course. Nothing flashy, just a solid player and a good guy!

I played with Tom at Doral. He is a great dude, a really good stick, and has some stories! We got paired together in a best-ball game, and he won me a Ghost putter I still cherish today.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

So, mini heart attack scare (would be my 4th!). I just landed in Virginia after flying all night. I got to baggage claim and realize very quickly that my clubs did not appear to have made the trip home. I went to the claims desk and was in the process of filling out the forms when the service employee said "Here they are."

I turned around to find the baggage handler carrying an empty travel bag in one hand, my shoe bag in the other hand, and my stand bag on his shoulders. All of the zippered pockets on my stand bag were open, including the ball pocket containing nearly 2 dozen TP5 Protos and the head and headcover for my newly fitted M1.

I panicked! I am still not sure that everything made the trip, but it appears to have. Apparently, the zipper on my travel bag pulled apart when the bag was being loaded. The contents must have spilled out because my irons were not in their proper location in the bag dividers. I guess security went through the pockets of my bag looking for hazardous objects or something, because that's the only explanation I can think of for all of the zippers being opened. I'm hoping I dodged a bullet, but won't know for sure until I get home and have a chance to do an inventory.

Happened to me once, TSA pillaged through my bag and just put everything back where ever they wanted. It was weeks before I convinced myself that everything was still in my bag.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Fantastic write ups and comments ...

I'll be particularly interested in the 770 feedback to come as they're available in LH.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

So, mini heart attack scare (would be my 4th!). I just landed in Virginia after flying all night. I got to baggage claim and realize very quickly that my clubs did not appear to have made the trip home. I went to the claims desk and was in the process of filling out the forms when the service employee said "Here they are."

I turned around to find the baggage handler carrying an empty travel bag in one hand, my shoe bag in the other hand, and my stand bag on his shoulders. All of the zippered pockets on my stand bag were open, including the ball pocket containing nearly 2 dozen TP5 Protos and the head and headcover for my newly fitted M1.

I panicked! I am still not sure that everything made the trip, but it appears to have. Apparently, the zipper on my travel bag pulled apart when the bag was being loaded. The contents must have spilled out because my irons were not in their proper location in the bag dividers. I guess security went through the pockets of my bag looking for hazardous objects or something, because that's the only explanation I can think of for all of the zippers being opened. I'm hoping I dodged a bullet, but won't know for sure until I get home and have a chance to do an inventory.

Happened to me once, TSA pillaged through my bag and just put everything back where ever they wanted. It was weeks before I convinced myself that everything was still in my bag.

That's why I keep my rangefinder and anything small/valuable in my carry-on.

Brian, Sorry to hear about the bag situation brother. Maybe we jinxed you by talking about travel bags yesterday. Hope everything is in there.

**Sorry, this might be the longest post in WRX history**

GolfWRX @ The Kingdom – February 26-28, 2017

Blah blah blah

HUGE thanks to both GolfWRX and TaylorMade for inviting me to be a part of this group! It was such a fun few days, and honestly it’s something I wish all of our core group of WRX members could experience. Picking the brains of the guys at the top of the industry and getting a peak behind the curtain is just a really cool deal, and this is something I’ll never forget! Thanks for reading, and if you have questions, please let me know!

:D

Drew, that was one of the best write ups I've seen in a while, thanks for sharing the experience and pictures. I've poked in your swing thread every now and then, do you think the D-Type will be versatile enough (in terms of adjustability) if you make any big swing changes down the road? Or are you done with the major work, and just tweaking? I know the driver is fit to how you're currently swinging, just wondering if you might lose some of that optimization down the road. I certainly hope not, of course. Hope you'll be able to re-dial it back in if necessary.

Thanks, happy to share it all with you guys! Great question here. Honestly I feel like I am at the "just tweaking" stage with my swing. I have some tendencies that I fall back into now and then, but I know what I need to do to get back on track whenever that happens, and I believe the D-Type is definitely a good enough fit for me that I shouldn't need to change much on the club end. My tendency is towards too much of a left path and open face, so in that regard the D-Type should always be helpful. I had the SLDR for ~4 years and it held up through several technique changes beautifully, so I anticipate the same for this head.

One of the really interesting discussions that we got into at The Kingdom was at our lunch break with one of the metalwoods R&D guys, Justin Kleinert, and Duane Anderson. I had asked about whether they saw any differences in ball speed across the face when the sliding weights were in various positions. Back in the SLDR days, there were rumors that having the weight slightly on the fade side resulted in higher ball speeds, and I had always been curious about that. Essentially, the short answer was yes!

They explained this effect together with the left/right tendencies of different heads (SLDR/D-type being a left bias) in a way I hadn't heard before. Essentially, and I'm probably going to butcher this, the perception of COG would change for each player based on certain weight settings, which would then cause a change in ball flight. The SLDR and D-type give the perception of COG and a squarer face earlier coming into impact. Again, I don't fully understand how everything matched up here, but maybe BCULAW can speak more to this, as he was in on this discussion too (some of the other guys were being fit).

So yes, to reiterate, I think I'm going to get the same benefits I was seeing with the SLDR, but with added forgiveness and apparently some additional ball speed!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

This is my nightmare!!

I always check my clubs before I leave the airport just to make sure everything is in one piece. I'm not sure if it matters if you leave, then find an issue, but I figure better safe than sorry. I hope everything made it for you Brian! I'm sure TaylorMade would take care of you regardless, but still, not what you want to see after a redeye, especially!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Can anyone Cliff's Notes these questions for me:

- Anyone compare the new M1/M1 440 to last years M1 460/M2?

- Anyone compare the new M1/M1 440 to the Epic/Epic SZ?

- Summary of the new wedges and grinds? Specifically the 60?

- Any comparisons of the new fairway woods to last years or Epic/Epic SZ?

Thank you!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

So they say the D-type has more offset, and a more upright lie, do you really notice these differences when compared to the other drivers? I loved my Sldr, and when I switched to the M1 there was a big adjustment period, the right Miss came back. I would love an M that was weighted closer to the sldr.

The website says it has offset, but I don't see it....

I think it's probably more of what I described above, the COG is placed in a manner that's going to help the golfer square the face a bit earlier. The spec sheet online looks like the normal M2 is 56-60* lie angle, the D-Type is 57-61*, so yes, a touch more upright as well.

For anyone with a right miss, I'd definitely encourage you to check out the D-Type! I'm certainly a fan

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Thank you!

Sorry I can't! I don't recall seeing anyone bring last years M's down on the trip to test out. Unfortunately do to the weather, I don't think anyone even hit the fairways in the bay at all. The wedges looked and felt great off the mat, but we really don't know how they work in the real world. I think we all used our gamer wedges for the spin test.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That D-Type looks pretty darn good to me, and thanks for answering the question, Drew, hope to see things continue to get better for your game! I'll also tune back in to see what you think of the irons.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Thank you!

You're gonna love this, but.....as far as I know, no one even hit the 440, and no one hit a single FW wood :( . To be clear, this was not what TaylorMade had in mind for us! They had the red carpet completely lined up for us, and it just got drenched! We would have had a lot more chances to hit everything from top to bottom with our own personal fitters, but because of the weather, we had to squeeze everyone into one bay for driver testing and one bay for ball testing, so everything else had to be put off. Time was a factor in the driver fittings, so Jason was just putting us into what fit us best, rather than a demo session of the different heads.

Sadly, we only got to hit the wedges indoors into a net. That said, I've got my eye on one of these:

I believe they have 3 different grind options for wedges, standard, low, and high bounce. I was hoping to explore wedges a bit more around some greens and with pitch shots, etc, but that wasn't possible with the weather.

One difference between the 2016 and 2017 M1 that I can speak to is the design of the crown. The 2016 M1, as you know Tai, had issues with the paint bubbling because of where the seam was (they essentially painted over it). The 2017 shouldn't have any issues with that, as the seam is not painted over, the composite piece just fits nicely into a little cavity around the ring of the crown.

I've hit both the Epic and Epic SZ in a fitting at Cool Clubs. I got better numbers for the 2017 M1 on the same day, and better numbers at The Kingdom with the M2 D-Type. I think the TM options feel better too, but that's subjective. It doesn't seem like a ton of people are getting fit into the SZ, but a lot are having success with the Epic, and it's certainly a good driver, it just wasn't the best for me.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

so, can you guys answer this --

it seems like you guys were all properly fit for:

1) balls

2) putters

3) drivers

...how are they fitting you for irons? wedges? or are they at all -- or are you just ordering the rest upon consultation with TM?

seems like the rain kinda killed this trip. sucks.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Here's a question that I didn't see an answer to so far:

I saw a mix of M1s and M2s. Aside from Drew and why he ended up in the D-type (heretofore known as "The Anomaly") why did they fit you into whichever one they fit you into (if that makes sense)?

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Some miscellaneous pics!

Excited to do more testing with these:

Inside the TP5:

And TP5x:

Berwick mini-mallet. Really liked this putter!

Aviara Scorecard (this is for you RobRey!):

Teeing off on #12.....Looks a little like that one week in April :)

Thanks to TaylorMade for the action shots! They had a photographer out there snagging pics and some of them turned out really nicely! This was the tee shot on #9. 348, downhill, slight dogleg right with no trouble right: swing away! Ended up about 10 yards off the left front edge. Pin was back right over a ridge, so I Tour sauced a fat/muddy wedge to 30 feet and 2 putted for par. Pretty accurate summation of my ballstriking yesterday lol

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Fantastic write up, between #TheWrx and #TaylormadeTuesday i'm being thrown for loops on what clubs to look at this season. Seems like Titleist, etc. are really fading.

Definitely true. Both companies did a great job and certainly piqued my interest on their clubs - and I've been a Mizuno and Titleist guy pretty much my entire life.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I saw a mix of M1s and M2s. Aside from Drew and why he ended up in the D-type (heretofore known as "The Anomaly") why did they fit you into whichever one they fit you into (if that makes sense)?

I was fitted for an M2 back at home a few weeks ago, and an M1 this week at the Kingdom. Jason Werner, my fitter, said that he wanted me in the M1 because he thought I could benefit from the adjustability. We tried the combo I was fit for at home, and it was still good. The M1 combo was just better. Jason didn't want me to be pidgeonholed into no adjustability with the M2.

I'm glad we went that route because I was hitting some hooks on the course yesterday. Slid the weight over 3 or so clicks toward fade and was able to go after it without fear of it going left.

I was fitted for an M2 back at home a few weeks ago, and an M1 this week at the Kingdom. Jason Werner, my fitter, said that he wanted me in the M1 because he thought I could benefit from the adjustability. We tried the combo I was fit for at home, and it was still good. The M1 combo was just better. Jason didn't want me to be pidgeonholed into no adjustability with the M2.

I'm glad we went that route because I was hitting some hooks on the course yesterday. Slid the weight over 3 or so clicks toward fade and was able to go after it without fear of it going left.

Besides the adjustability, what was improved by the M1 over the M2?

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Besides the adjustability, what was improved by the M1 over the M2?

Improved ballspeed on mishits. Carry and spin numbers were better overall.

so, can you guys answer this --

it seems like you guys were all properly fit for:

1) balls

2) putters

3) drivers

...how are they fitting you for irons? wedges? or are they at all -- or are you just ordering the rest upon consultation with TM?

seems like the rain kinda killed this trip. sucks.

I think we were all very pleased with the fitting and results on driver and putter, and everyone wants to do a bit more extensive testing with the TP5 vs TP5x (we all hit a lot of the TP5x, not as much with the TP5). We haven't heard details on the rest of the bag and how that will go down, but they made it clear that they are going to take care of us!

Yes, the weather Monday sucked, and I'm sure everyone involved (TM, us, you guys!) would have liked to see more equipment being hit, but I want to make it clear that this was still an amazing event! I think once the other guys give their recaps it will become more clear that TM has some really cool tech coming out this year and I believe that they'll do very well, especially with the 770 irons and the TP5 golf ball!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Just submitted my trip report on page 1. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Again, this was an amazing trip. I'm sure I'll have plenty more to post once I catch my breath.

Great recap and pictures, thanks. I can't imagine the feeling when get the call, or PM, rather. Well, I can in a smaller way, having gotten clubs to test in the past. Let me know if you're ever interested in playing up in Northern VA.

Pro tip - you can get Oskar Blues Old Chubb in VA too. My local Wegmans stocks them, as do most Total Wines. One of my favorites.

chub.png

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach