#TaylorMadeTuesday at The Kingdom, Feb 26-28, 2017 (pics added pg1,16,19 & 20)

HipCheck

#TaylorMadeTuesday

I'm going to upload my pictures from my phone then I'll edit this post from my laptop. Bare with me!

More jelly than a jelly sandwich !!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoy these trip writeups. This is about a competitor, but am wondering if anyone at TM commented on Callaway's "jailbreak" technology and whether the titanium rods in the head offer a true advantage in producing ballspeed. I talked to a guy at a local store today (Golfdom) who said the Epic and new M1 are both nice, but said the Epic is a substantially hotter seller for them. Say it is delivering more ballspeed for most players who test it. I plan to hit both. I have not owned a TM driver since the R7, and I did not care for the '16 M1, but I do love the look of it. I find these larger rounded heads a bit hard to aim and I think the black/white crown is a little easier to line up. Also hear the 440 M1 spins as low as the Epic SZ, so am eager to try the 440. But just interested to know what the competition thinks of jailbreak -- a real game changer or no big deal?

All the M drivers spin much less than the SZ, at least or me, about 550 to 600

Was there any talk about how Callaway is pushing the Epic vs the M series? It's feels like retailers are getting incentives to push the epic. It's like the only driver on the market. Nobody is pushing M, I don't know if they don't make as much money, or what. Both companies drivers are just about equal in real play.

Thanks. I agree with you that stores are definitely hyping the Epic. I will give it a try, but I have not loved past experience with the GBB line. I tend to hook them. Don't hate or love the Epic's look. So I have high hopes for the new M1 in either 440 or 460. I could not handle last year's M1 -- the demo at Golfsmith felt heavy and the mishits felt awful. Could have been the shaft, I don't know. But I am one who likes the M1/M2 two-tone because I think it is easier to aim. I like to use the club's lines perpendicular to target line to aim. It is how I like to putt (Edel Rogue head, no alignment aids, only a sight dot). So if this year's M1 has substantially more forgiveness, that is what I am hoping will be a nice fit. I swing 105-107, negative angle of attack (about 1.5 down) that I am constantly trying to correct to cut spin, and I can sometimes get it to 0. I hit a lot of greens in regulation when my drive leaves me a clear shot, but I am prone to get quick, not get my back fully turned to target and pull it with a rushed OTT move. Center contact, hit hard and straight as a rope but too far left. And then I chip out of the Virginia woods. It sucks. Eight handicap even with my subpar driving. If I can find a driver I can get in the fairway consistenly, I can play well. Currently have a '15 Nike Flex that has not been the answer. I am a bit worried about TM quality control with all the weight complaints. I like a driver at D3-D4. If it is D0 or less, I hit it all over the map -- two-way miss. I don't play enough so I need the weight. Any advice on combos that I should consider are welcome. The amount of info on here is amazing and confusing, sort of like my game.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Really enjoy these trip writeups. This is about a competitor, but am wondering if anyone at TM commented on Callaway's "jailbreak" technology and whether the titanium rods in the head offer a true advantage in producing ballspeed. I talked to a guy at a local store today (Golfdom) who said the Epic and new M1 are both nice, but said the Epic is a substantially hotter seller for them. Say it is delivering more ballspeed for most players who test it. I plan to hit both. I have not owned a TM driver since the R7, and I did not care for the '16 M1, but I do love the look of it. I find these larger rounded heads a bit hard to aim and I think the black/white crown is a little easier to line up. Also hear the 440 M1 spins as low as the Epic SZ, so am eager to try the 440. But just interested to know what the competition thinks of jailbreak -- a real game changer or no big deal?

The topic definitely came up, but I'm not sure we are at liberty to answer. I will say a couple of things with respect to the TM/Callaway battle. First, I expected a lot of venom directed at Callaway - a real nasty rivalry. The opposite was true. The guys at TM seemed to have a real respect for their counterparts at Callaway. I am sure that they interact frequently, and there was none of the ill will that I expected. Second, there were several old, obsolete technologies that came up in conversation (I.e., titanium golf ball cores, etc. ). The TM guys said something several times that tended to stick with me: if the technology is viable, it will stick and be copied. Everything that falls by the wayside is ultimately just marketing. We will know soon enough if jailbreak is a legitimate difference maker. If it sticks and gets copied, it's legit.

I am glad someone asked this, and am glad to hear it. There is room for more than one, and they are both pushing the envelope with some amazing stuff the last couple years.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

What did you guys think of the new milled wedges? Something you might game? Also is their a difference between the red and black tour spider other than color?

The red and black tour spiders are identical AFAIK. They both have a slant neck hosel and have some toe hang. The platinum with the red weights and sole has a double bend and is face balanced. It also has a line on the crown whereas the red and black do not.

I was fit into the platinum because of its face balanced properties. I was really hoping for the red or black. Not a huge fan of the platinum with red weights but it's something I could get used to. If they have any of the red limited version that came out earlier I'd go with that.

My understanding is the two models have slightly different faces and feel quite different, should setup and play the exact same besides feel.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Great info guys

Thanks for sharing all your experiences with us.

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Thanks. I agree with you that stores are definitely hyping the Epic. I will give it a try, but I have not loved past experience with the GBB line. I tend to hook them. Don't hate or love the Epic's look. So I have high hopes for the new M1 in either 440 or 460. I could not handle last year's M1 -- the demo at Golfsmith felt heavy and the mishits felt awful. Could have been the shaft, I don't know. But I am one who likes the M1/M2 two-tone because I think it is easier to aim. I like to use the club's lines perpendicular to target line to aim. It is how I like to putt (Edel Rogue head, no alignment aids, only a sight dot). So if this year's M1 has substantially more forgiveness, that is what I am hoping will be a nice fit. I swing 105-107, negative angle of attack (about 1.5 down) that I am constantly trying to correct to cut spin, and I can sometimes get it to 0. I hit a lot of greens in regulation when my drive leaves me a clear shot, but I am prone to get quick, not get my back fully turned to target and pull it with a rushed OTT move. Center contact, hit hard and straight as a rope but too far left. And then I chip out of the Virginia woods. It sucks. Eight handicap even with my subpar driving. If I can find a driver I can get in the fairway consistenly, I can play well. Currently have a '15 Nike Flex that has not been the answer. I am a bit worried about TM quality control with all the weight complaints. I like a driver at D3-D4. If it is D0 or less, I hit it all over the map -- two-way miss. I don't play enough so I need the weight. Any advice on combos that I should consider are welcome. The amount of info on here is amazing and confusing, sort of like my game.

Brother, you are describing my game to a tee! Even the Virginia woods part! I have one round with the M1 so far (hoping to change that this weekend), but I was shocked at a couple of drives I got away with. It is very forgiving for such a low spinning head, and it feels and sounds fantastic.

Most of my recap is up on page 23.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Perusing through the Rory/Callaway thread here (http://www.golfwrx.c...g/page__st__390) and thought of another thing that was mentioned during lunch on Monday. Tom Kroll made a pretty big point to say that Rory has definitely not signed a contract with Callaway. I got the impression they were expecting him to come back to the TM woods....will be interesting to see what ends up happening with ol' Rors!

He mentioned something like 17 out of 19 of the Nike staffers had made some kind of switch to TaylorMade. Take that however you like, but it was surprising to hear how large a number it was!

Taylormade is making a mistake of trying to or even thinking about signing Rory, who knows what they paid for Tiger and if the ROI on these two were so great, then Nike golf should still be in business
Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

What did you guys think of the new milled wedges? Something you might game? Also is their a difference between the red and black tour spider other than color?

The red and black tour spiders are identical AFAIK. They both have a slant neck hosel and have some toe hang. The platinum with the red weights and sole has a double bend and is face balanced. It also has a line on the crown whereas the red and black do not.

I was fit into the platinum because of its face balanced properties. I was really hoping for the red or black. Not a huge fan of the platinum with red weights but it's something I could get used to. If they have any of the red limited version that came out earlier I'd go with that.

Sounds like you need to make a call to Continental Golf and get a paint scheme added. :taunt:

In-N-Out burger is so overrated!

Your face is overrated! Haham jk. I assume you are a Five Guys kind of guy if you're not an In-n-Out guy?! They're both good for different reasons but in my taste buds, In-n-Out takes the cake.

Here's Drew hitting his bunker shot on 18

[media=]

[/media]

Talk about short sided! That's a brutal stance and lie. Great shot! How far from the hole did it end up?

Perusing through the Rory/Callaway thread here (http://www.golfwrx.c...g/page__st__390) and thought of another thing that was mentioned during lunch on Monday. Tom Kroll made a pretty big point to say that Rory has definitely not signed a contract with Callaway. I got the impression they were expecting him to come back to the TM woods....will be interesting to see what ends up happening with ol' Rors!

He mentioned something like 17 out of 19 of the Nike staffers had made some kind of switch to TaylorMade. Take that however you like, but it was surprising to hear how large a number it was!

Taylormade is making a mistake of trying to or even thinking about signing Rory, who knows what they paid for Tiger and if the ROI on these two were so great, then Nike golf should still be in business

He's been on top of the leaderboard with his "Cally" gear the two tourneys he's had them in play. I suspect there is literally no thought of TM in his mental capacity at the moment.

@therealping

I respectfully disagree!

CF64F472-C52B-4E9E-A56C-B0BB8BDC2A2E_1.jpg

I agree with 2ball! I can recall the past two times I've had legit fast food and both were from In-N-out in Vegas. Once in 2013 when I had no idea what animal style was and then again last year when I tried the infamous animal style. The first iteration wasn't too shabby, but the 2016 animal style was a complete deflate. Simply, your typical fast food burger with slop thrown on it.

* I get excited for chicken and broccoli, so I may not be your typical consumer for this respective market.

@therealping

Sounds like you need to make a call to Continental Golf and get a paint scheme added. :taunt:

That was my thought exactly! We shall see!

He's been on top of the leaderboard with his "Cally" gear the two tourneys he's had them in play. I suspect there is literally no thought of TM in his mental capacity at the moment.

I'd add that it didn't sound like they were hoping or planning for a full bag contract with Rory. The focus seemed to be more on metalwoods, or at least that was the direction the conversation was going. Who knows, it seems odd for a player of his stature to play a mixed bag, as I'm sure he'd get a lot more money playing one brand on a 13-club contract....however, with the talk of TM bringing an MB to the table later this year it might be something he's waiting to see before he makes a final decision. Callaway certainly seems to be working just fine at the minute!

As for Tiger, I asked how they felt about signing him given his injuries and obvious lack of play. We didn't get details about what the contract entailed, but the indication was that there were some clauses based on play and results.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Your face is overrated! Haham jk. I assume you are a Five Guys kind of guy if you're not an In-n-Out guy?! They're both good for different reasons but in my taste buds, In-n-Out takes the cake.

Here's Drew hitting his bunker shot on 18

[media=]

[/media]

Talk about short sided! That's a brutal stance and lie. Great shot! How far from the hole did it end up?

Yeah, awful shot to end up there. Chris and Jory were standing off the left of the green by their carts waiting for us and I thought I was going to bean one of them! Just an ugly, stabby pull. One of those shots I just wasn't 100% committed to over the ball. I was very happy with the bunker shot though. It ended up 8-10 feet past the hole. Over-read the par putt. :(

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I'm going to continue testing the TP5 and TP5x, but thought I'd share some quick data with you guys from Flightscope testing yesterday. I hit 10 shots with each ball, from each distance, and removed any obvious mis-hits.

It was interesting to me to see how similarly they performed at both these yardages. I think with full swings we'll start seeing some slight differences between them. I expect the TP5 to spin a little more and not carry quite as far, based on what the guys at TM told us.

The tech behind the different layers is supposed to change at 70mph clubhead speed, so swings over that threshold will scrub off spin, and swings under that threshold will maintain spin due to the cover material(s). My 100-yard swing is right in the 65-70mph range, and spin was excellent in this category - right where I'd want to see it, ~10k. The 50-yard shot was slightly lower on spin than I like to see, as I prefer closer to 8k and can get that with a ProV1x. I definitely need to do some more on-course testing in this regard though to see if there are any practical ramifications with this slight drop in spin rate. The difficulty with a 50-yard shot is that mis-hitting by even a fraction will drop spin by a ton, so I am going to add to my sample size here and see how these numbers hold up. I don't think they'll change much though.

I putted with both balls for quite a while too, and I'd equate the difference in feel between them to be very similar to the difference between ProV1 and ProV1x. I think they both feel very slightly firmer than their respective Titleist counterpart, but it's similar for sure.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I'm going to continue testing the TP5 and TP5x, but thought I'd share some quick data with you guys from Flightscope testing yesterday. I hit 10 shots with each ball, from each distance, and removed any obvious mis-hits.

It was interesting to me to see how similarly they performed at both these yardages. I think with full swings we'll start seeing some slight differences between them. I expect the TP5 to spin a little more and not carry quite as far, based on what the guys at TM told us.

The tech behind the different layers is supposed to change at 70mph clubhead speed, so swings over that threshold will scrub off spin, and swings under that threshold will maintain spin due to the cover material(s). My 100-yard swing is right in the 65-70mph range, and spin was excellent in this category - right where I'd want to see it, ~10k. The 50-yard shot was slightly lower on spin than I like to see, as I prefer closer to 8k and can get that with a ProV1x. I definitely need to do some more on-course testing in this regard though to see if there are any practical ramifications with this slight drop in spin rate. The difficulty with a 50-yard shot is that mis-hitting by even a fraction will drop spin by a ton, so I am going to add to my sample size here and see how these numbers hold up. I don't think they'll change much though.

I putted with both balls for quite a while too, and I'd equate the difference in feel between them to be very similar to the difference between ProV1 and ProV1x. I think they both feel very slightly firmer than their respective Titleist counterpart, but it's similar for sure.

Good info, Andrew! As for feel, the best way I can describe it is that they feel heavier to me. Soft, muted and heavier - almost like hitting on of those magic bouncy balls. Very little click to the sound, but they feel firm and sound rubbery-soft if that makes sense.

Amazing trip guys. Reviews are well done. Thx for all the info and the time put into it.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I'd add that it didn't sound like they were hoping or planning for a full bag contract with Rory. The focus seemed to be more on metalwoods, or at least that was the direction the conversation was going. Who knows, it seems odd for a player of his stature to play a mixed bag, as I'm sure he'd get a lot more money playing one brand on a 13-club contract....however, with the talk of TM bringing an MB to the table later this year it might be something he's waiting to see before he makes a final decision. Callaway certainly seems to be working just fine at the minute!

As for Tiger, I asked how they felt about signing him given his injuries and obvious lack of play. We didn't get details about what the contract entailed, but the indication was that there were some clauses based on play and results.

Yes, tiger has to play so many tournaments to get his pay day. It could actually cost TM nothing.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Be specific with your answer!
same red as redback spider streak on belly back home

Winner, winner White and black "M" hat for you sir!

Please PM me your address and I'll ship it to you as soon as possible.

Cheers!!!

D

I shipped out your hat today. Hope you have it this coming week. Enjoy!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Thanks for the comparison, awesome stuff! Any chance you can do the same for Driver + Fairway Woods?

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Thanks for the comparison, awesome stuff! Any chance you can do the same for Driver + Fairway Woods?

I plan to do some mid-iron testing over the weekend and will test with the driver in the next week or two, yes.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I plan to do some mid-iron testing over the weekend and will test with the driver in the next week or two, yes.

Thanks a lot man, much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for your results.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

The Kingdom (DNice26)

So….wanna go to the kingdom…

Where to begin with this write up. I’m going to start with THANK YOU. I’m unbelievably grateful to the GolfWRX and TaylorMade organizations for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of this experience. It is a journey I will never forget and something I’ll tell my daughter about when she is older and hopefully picks up the game (she is 2 now). On my flight to Denver now, listening to Miles Davis and typing this up. So, so, so grateful…

It started with the message above. I was in bed, literally about to fall asleep and I think to myself “who the #$&? Is messaging me at this time.” Only to be oh so pleasantly surprised to see the words above from HipCheck (Rob). I turned to my wife and just started going “yooooo….yoooooo….I’m going to the Kingdom!!!!” My wife was supportive and basically congratulated me and said to “go to sleep jackass.” Well, sleep was not an option. So many scenarios running through my head from reading about past WRX trips. I slept for one hour that night. #Californiadreamin….or perhaps #Californiainsomnia. Literally exhausted at work that next day and from that point on. Oh the possibilities and excitement. NOTE to Rob: For future consideration – maybe let the chosen ones sleep the night before you tell them about their once in a life time opportunities!!! Lol…..

California Dreamin…

Immediately started debating on what to bring with me to the kingdom and settled on my MP68s, as I’ve got the most history with them. Wedges would be my SM6s, Ping G driver, Ping Redwood and RBZ deep face tour issue 5 wood (17). Then I had to debate over my clothing game…lol. Knowing the high standards set on GolfWRX, I had to make sure I could look the part. Decisions made…and the journey begins. TaylorMade managed the travel arrangements….THANK YOU KIM (although I didn’t meet you)!!!!! Hipcheck added the guys selected to a group chat and we initiated the process of getting to know each other.

Not much sleep was had the night prior to departure, but who could sleep knowing what was coming. It was also my birthday, so I was still a bit in the bag from the celebratory dinner in Manhattan the night before with my wife. One too many fine beverages.

Flights left on time, which was great. Mentally rough not to see my daughter on my birthday, but come on… this is the Kingdom here!!!! ?

I don’t like flying, so it was nice to have little drama in the airport…..but…..The landing in San Diego….. I nearly lost my lunch on the entry into the SD airport. Spirit flight came in for a landing, touched wheels and went straight back up. Never had such an experience and pray I never do again. Freaked me out. ONE WAY TO GET THE ADRENALINE GOING FOR THIS TRIP. Second attempt was not much better, but it stuck. ??

Arrive to the hotel (Aviara)…

Wow, gorgeous hotel. Stunning in all respects. Go to check in and end up speaking to the attendant for about 15 mins….raving about GolfWRX and the trip. Suffice it to say, I think I found a new WRX member. Go up to my room, check in and head down stairs to meet the fine gentlemen on this trip face to face. All great guys with a seriously love of this crazy game. It was fun feeling the freedom to go full tilt golf gear nerd with everyone. Most people look at me c0ck eyed when I start yapping about equipment etc..

We head off to dinner to meet the TM crew. We arrive at Chandler’s for a few beverages and get to know one another better. Had some time to chat with Brian (BCULAW) at the bar. He is a husband and father of two beautiful little girls. Totally genuine guy with a love of the game. Jory Mendes (Global Communications Manager) and Ryan Lauder (Director of Consumer Engagement at TMAG) met us there and we could all tell we were in great hands with such personable, down to earth, honest hosts. Conversation was incredible. Everyone got on great and the smiles were common, free flowing and the vibe was electric. Food was excellent and I agree that the calimari was particularly delectable. We head back to the hotel and crash for the night.

Kingdom Come...

This is the day we were all here for. An opportunity to get a club fitting by the best crew in the business. Yet again, I hardly slept through the night, my excitement palpable. Only problem is…..RAIN! $#%&ing RAIN!!!!! Nooooo!!!! And hard…..monsoon type conditions. No matter, still excited to get going. We all hop in a mini bus and head to TM Headquarters…it’s on! Get to TM and enter the main lobby. Here we are greeted by Chandler Carr (Manager of Product Creation) and Jory. We start our tour. First we head to the Tour club building department and get to see where they build sticks for the Pros (Champions, LPGA, PGA, Web.com etc.). Components galore….just about any TM head, grip, shaft you would want. Really cool to see.

After the Tour department trip, it was time for the journey to the magical Kingdom. Yeaaah buddy! We walk through the rain, with umbrellas in hand to the promised land (hey, that rhymes). The entrance to the Kingdom essentially sets the stage for the wonders inside. The front door is something out of a fairy tale, with large wooden doors and iron accents. We enter and are met by the TM fitting team and Tom Kroll (Director Experiential and Training). We are brought into a room with personalized lockers for our sticks and a wealth of breakfast options, snacks and drinks. They had Icelandic style ice coffee and Kefir soda on a tap. Both were quite good….had to try em.

Tom took us on a quick tour of the facility and during the tour explained a few interesting points. It seems TM has quite the keen interest in Jon Rahm’s future potential. Apparently his biometrics and playing statistics (as investigated and calculated by greater minds) suggest he is on track to be one of the greats and perhaps a world numero uno in the future. We finish up our quick walk through and get set for a presentation.

Michael Fox (Golf ball and accessories Director) gave us a presentation on the new TP5 and TP5X golf ball. Various aspects of the design of the balls were presented and compared to previous TM iterations such as the tour preferred. There is a soft cast urethane cover, which provides soft feel and durability. The idea is to only bring a product to market which presents noticeable improvements to the consumer. Seemingly an obvious concept, but perhaps not in the world of advertising and #alternativefacts we live in today. It was obvious that TM believes they have a winner here and they were willing to go up against any ball we wanted to test against it. I found it quite interesting how various layers of the ball are activated (AND interacting) depending on which club you are using. For example, the driver activates the full golf ball which helps the ball maintain speed and keep spin down. When struck with a wedge, only the more distal layers are activated, supporting spin. There is a hard adjacent dermal layer just under the outer cover which is designed to help pinch the outer cover up against the wedge face. This pinching helps the cover grab the grooves more, thus increasing spin. TM wasn’t overly touting any claims on the driver performance of the balls, but they are quite proud of what it can do for your iron game. The low drag cover construction and dimple design coupled with advancements in the 5 layers help promote higher launch and lower spin conditions. Speaking for myself, after 6 iron testing with the X, this resulted in nearly a 10 yard gain over my B330S ball. Quite “noticeable.” With the driver I was showing fairly modest improvements in the 3-4 yard gain range. In my on course testing, both the TP5 and X showed their grit and I’m thoroughly impressed. The TP5 golf ball might be one of the most exciting products I was able to test while in the kingdom. Anyone reading this owes it to themselves to give a look see at this ball.

Next up was a somewhat unexpected driver fitting. The rain at this point was quite steady and it was evident we were unlikely to touch grass with a golf club on this day. I walked into one of the hitting bays and it was time to warm up as quickly as I could. With only about a half dozen mid iron shots, it was time to hit driver. Wish there was a bit more time to warm up, but I certainly wasn’t one to complain. I grab my Ping G driver and Jason Werner starts checking my numbers. Quite a few ugly ones and a few reasonable with the odd stripe. We then test the M1 and M2 drivers with a few different shafts, only to end up in an M2 10.5 with a PX Yellow shaft. I managed a few good ones in the low 300s which was nice. If I recall correctly they said I picked up about 5 yards or so with the switch. Consistency seemed fairly solid as well. I suppose we will know for sure if/when Zak posts the Trackman data. I figured I would fit into the M2, but I was hopeful the M1 would fit me better, given the added ability to tinker and I liked the feel and shape of the M1 better. I suppose the results were better with the M2 though. It was absolutely pouring towards the end of my driver fitting.

The ball testing….my ball (B330S) against the TP5X. 6 iron, then driver test. I was pretty beat after the drive testing…pounding drivers like a maniac. The testing was with Michael Fox, some on lookers and a camera crew in your face…..no pressure…LOL. 6 iron first and the results were certainly there. Nearly 10 yards improvement over my B330S. They were looking to catch our reactions and I dropped the ball. Michael later recounted that we were expecting me to jump up and down when I saw the data, but I was nervous in front of the camera and didn’t want to come off cheesy or insincere. Guess that perhaps wanted some more enthusiasm but I wasn’t Mr. congeniality. After the fact, I realized that gaining 10 yards is a pretty insane improvement. As for the driver….I was gassed and hit a few good ones with my ball, but shrimped it when they gave me the TP5X ball. I only improved by 4 yards with the TP5X ball on the driver. Fun experience for sure. Who knows, maybe I’ll be a celebrity after they air my commercial….not! lol.

Next up was a putting fitting with Duane Anderson. According to Tom Kroll, Duane is the ultimate putting guru and has been working on a yet to be released book for quite some time. Not sure if the comment was tongue in cheek or serious. Everyone at TaylorMade golf was like that, always joking and welcoming. This is one experience I was looking forward to. I brought my Ping Anser Redwood with me. I actually picked it up at a local Golf Galaxy for $30. I took it out for one round and made a ton of putts. I then put it in play at a local one day amateur event and ended up winning the event in the pouring rain with a 73. Needless to say, the putter works fairly well for me. Duane grabbed my Ping and wrapped it up in various little metal rods in order to map my putter into his fancy “video game,” the MATT system. I then hit a number of putts with my Ping. Some with his camera system which tracked a golf ball covered in a reflective coating and others that were put on video. Basically, it turns out that I was adding loft to my putts and actually launching the ball at about 5 degrees. The ball actually had backspin, 50RPM I believe it was. The ball would then hit and change to forward roll. I also consistently hit my putter a hair off the toe side, which I figured was the case. Duane then handed me the JDay/DJ Spider putter and after one putt, he grabbed it from me. The putter seemed to site very open to me for some reason and so I found myself trying to manipulate the face back to square. Didn’t like it at all. He then handed me the Berwick mallet putter and immediately the balance of it felt very good. I hit a few putts, then Duane bent the putter and I hit a few more. The Berwick felt quite nice actually. All said and done, Duane put me in a Berwick, 2 degrees strong lofted, one degree flat lie, 35” with a SS slim 2.0. Duane actually compared my stroke with the Ping to my stroke with the Berwick and not only was the ball rolling faster, launching lower, but it was also arching less in my back stroke. The Ping was arching inside more on my backswing….which I suppose makes sense, as the Ping has more toe flow. I enjoyed the time with Duane, it was really interesting and eye opening. Hope it pays dividends moving forward.

Before leaving the Kingdom, the other guys had some fun hitting some balls in the closed hitting bay. Comparing ball speeds etc.. My back had enough for the day and my feet were killing me. Not to mention that I knew I had no chance competing in machismo with Zak and Drew. They can out up some serious ball speeds. It was nice to finally sit for a few minutes and take in the Kingdom vibe for a bit.

We then moved on to a very extensive tour of the golf ball R&D department along with some exciting club design & manufacture areas. Eric Loper (Director of Golf Ball Development), navigated us through the R&D experience. We are sworn to secrecy on some things. The R&D golf ball tour was incredible and they welcomed any and all questions. I asked a few odd questions for S&Gs, such as when will golf balls include RFID technology, what was the deal with Wilson’s titanium core balls and when will we see a 10 layer golf ball (some interesting looks on the last one). Of course manufacturability and costs play a role in some of these types of advancements. I enjoyed this tour immensely. At this point my feet were killing me and my back was aching pretty badly.

Off to the tour department to have our drivers built up. Chander Carr helped us all get our builds completed. Such a great guy. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I was lucky to be playing with him the next day. When he got to my build, it turned out that my head needed to have hot melt included in order to get the swing weight up to D2/3. Apparently the PX yellow shaft has some counter balance to it and so additional head weight was in order. I also went with a ribbed 580 GP V cord grip. Once built up, we were given some stock head covers and also some tour issue leather covers (the leather is incredible and soft like cabretta leather). On the way out, we walked by some tour hats that were about to ship out and Chandler broke a bunch of boxes open for us (Justin Rose, Robert Garrigus, Camila Villegas etc.). Very cool. He allowed us to grab anything we wanted. Sadly the JR hats wouldn’t fit me as I have a healthy sized Irish noggin. Ah well. That was basically it for the day and it was time to head back to the hotel for a quick top and tail for drinks and dinner.

Barrel Republic and Campfire

We all jumped in Ubers to reach Barrel Republic, a beer drinkers haven. They had an incredible number of excellent choices. You are given a bracelet at the door and the beer is charged by the ounce, so you have free reign to pick and choose as you like. Jory provided me with a great beer suggestion and we all sat down to have some laughs and recount the day at the Kingdom and TMs facilities. Just all around good times with some ribbing, joking chatting about all things life and golf.

On to Campfire for dinner. Such a great place. If this restaurant was anywhere near my home in the NY area, I would be a regular. The food was absolutely excellent and the vibe was very hipster trendy. I’m certainly not a hipster, but I appreciated the feel of the place and everyone there was incredibly nice. Some meals of choice were the smoked broccoli and the meat pie. The meat pie was liquid hot magma (Dr. Evil voice)! I had to wait like 15mins before I could eat it. Again, great conversations all around and it was great to spend more time with Michael Fox, Jory, Ryan and the WRX crew. Never once did I feel out of place or like some sort of burden to the TM team. They always made us feel welcome and like one of them.

Aviara GC...

Final day. Time to try out the new driver and have some fun on the course. I was in the final group off and paired up with George (GC70), Chandler Carr (TMAG) and Josh Hurst (TMAG). We hit the driver range to warm up. After working my way up through my irons, I took my first swipe with the new driver. Unfortunely, I tweaked my lower back on the swing. I was worried that it wouldn’t sideline me, but luckily the Advil was helping and didn’t stop me from playing. The driver seemed to go right quite a bit on me, so I had to add loft to close up the face a smidge. After a few adjustments, I was happy enough. Off we went. George is a great player and seemed to be playing well. Chandler is also very good golfer and plays a huge sweeping hook that always found its way back to his target. It’s been a while since I’ve played with a guy that managed to control a large draw so well. Josh, unlike the rest of us was on a whole other level when it comes to swing aesthetics. This man can swing the club. Such a pleasure to watch. I snuck a quick slow mo video of his swing that I’ll post here. He wasn’t happy with this one, but the swing is just on point. Josh is apparently the man in black piping balls in a fairly recent TaylorMade commercial. Aviara was a beautiful course and it was an absolute pleasure playing with these guys. Apparently the women’s Kia Classic will be there in the coming weeks, so I can’t wait to re-count my steps.

During the round Chandler was kind enough to let me try his 770s, his raw Milled Grind wedges and his M2 HL 3 wood. I hit quite a few shots with his clubs to see how they perform. As a result, I’m guessing that I was lucky enough to get the most on course experience of anyone with these clubs. Let me simply tell you that the 770s will be in my bag for 2017 no matter what. The MG wedges were also incredible and the M2 HL 3 wood was just silly forgiving and long. TaylorMade has you covered top to bottom this year. The 770s looked incredible at address and felt even better. Minimal offset, with a modest head size. I hit a number of mid iron shots with them and wasn’t disappointed once. I also hit a good few shots and pitches/chips with the wedges and they are also home runs. Feel was sooooo much better than my SM6s. Soft and buttery with excellent spin and control. I was also able to test the TP5 and TP5X balls on course. Both are incredible performers with the non X being a bit softer and nicer around the greens. I ended up with a 77, which I was quite happy with consider I hadn’t played in months and tweaked my back. The M2 performed fairly well for me. More user error with my sore back than anything else. Certainly far from a QMANY even par round at Torrey! Lol. All in all, great time with George, Chandler and Josh. Great company, great weather (finally!), new driver and a great course…..simply doesn’t get any better.

After our round, we briefly met back up with everyone to take a quick photo and said our goodbyes and thank yous. What a journey. We took a van back to the hotel and I met up with Chris and Brian to try out some In-N-Out burger. It was good, but I think 5 guys burgers and fries are better. No bias from an East/West coast perspective. Still hit the spot. Chris hit the road to pick up a rental car to go see his swing coach, while Brian and I hung around a bit while I struggled to figure out how Uber works! Lol…. We ended up heading back to the hotel to get ourselves sorted and relax before the trip home.

I was up early to reach the airport for my flight. My flight from SD to Denver went off without fanfare. Bill Walton was on my flight, which was pretty cool. The man is LARGE. My next flight however was another story. It was delayed due to some storms moving through the east coast. I ended up sitting in the seat next to the emergency door. Half way through the flight, the Captain comes on to inform us that the front landing gear may have an issue, resulting in our flight being re-directed to Newark (was to land in LaGuardia). Additionally, he informed us that fire trucks would be there to welcome us. Good times…..started this trip with some adrenalin….guess it will end the same way. We landed successfully, flanked by a small army of fire trucks. No issues. After the flight, I come to find they organized another flight to LaGuardia. I was NOT getting on another plane. Ended up driving to La Guardia and getting my bags with a bit more drama. Received a complementary mileage credit for all the drama. Ah well…..home sweet home.

WRAP UP…THANK YOU…THANK YOU…

Well, the trip was a 9.9 out of 10 and I can only imagine how insane this trip would have been without the crazy flights and poor Monday weather. Easily had the potential to be off the charts incredible. No matter, I enjoyed every second of the journey and I hope I’ve made some new friends for a lifetime. Like the others have already said, I can’t thank GolfWRX and TaylorMade enough for putting this experience together for us. It truly was a trip of a life time.

Thank you to Rob, Zak and Brian at GolfWRX for allowing me the opportunity to participate in this.

HUGE thank you to all of the amazing TaylorMade employees who worked so hard to make this experience come to fruition: Jory Mendes, Ryan Lauder, Tom Kroll, Josh Hurst, Michael Fox, Chandler Carr, Duane Anderson, Jason Werner, Eric Loper, Perry Dickey, Kurt Donahoo, TJ Balhon, Kim Johnson, Ollie Neglerio….and sooo many others. Thank you!!! Truly, thank you.

Lastly, certainly not least, the four other gents I had the pleasure of sharing this journey with:

Brian (BCULAW): The big fella with the big heart. There is a reason he survived multiple heart attacks. Can’t hold the man down! It was great chatting with him about his family and experiences. Hoping we meet in Myrtle Beach in the not too distant future.

Andrew (Drewtaylor21): I wish I had the opportunity to play with him. Don’t think I’ve ever played with anyone with ball speeds above 170mph. Great swing. Wishing him the very best with his recently expanded family…..nothing more rewarding than being a father. I’m very fortunate myself.

George (GC70): Great guy, had a ton of fun playing golf with him at Aviara. Wishing him all the very best in life and golf! Loved checking out those Nike sticks.

Chris (Schnee): Last but not least, the man, the legend… Chris is a big guy with a bigger personality. We all owe MANY laughs to him (and Brian Knudsen!) He was the personality MVP. Hopefully we will get many rounds in together this summer, as we are close by.

Hope to see or catch up with all of these guys over the coming days, months and years. Should you guys ever need anything, feel free to reach out. Thank you again for everything!

So that’s it for me. SO GRATEFUL Looking forward to the possibility of further club testing. I will certainly share my testing/thoughts with everyone. My early predictions….the TP5/X, 770s and wedges will be game changers for most. Don’t sleep on them. Thank you for reading this!!!!!!!

PS: Having trouble getting my pics to upload, so I'll try and add them in after posting the text.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

041a606713830298c21b63594da13de3.jpg

2c418bda90a3b313ab2ac9ce691a2ae4.jpg

6fa087b215b64069bbacd40b73cd740b.jpg

05bd3c14a380c9234a18f5c0bc4f1e07.jpg

34f1343aa884552b740c8be8750e1a57.jpg

9d33000231ff941949ab8a6c1216a5b3.jpg

ad85791f8bc3428611b06222b11683ab.jpg

fa0654350f55e22d9e845b820d833a4e.jpg

9627a920f26e5a70cc0dda84222d3779.jpg

04dd686c02c7f1f21ce32f4d161453e3.jpg

e432013b298b84791a757d515862b3bd.jpg

9e61270f6b613354a401d4be48c21340.jpg

ca0bcab50588fa47b72eb4c1b0f56c46.jpg

67bd9ca6f53f0702f0e0216a20a3d2ed.jpg

e7052fcff66bc1035b74982cac46c377.jpg

221c462057ab0a6a4e6d57a233e11441.jpg

13774db02dbe8ae78fc460343bfd8720.jpg

76b29f56e6d30dd40cd893806d37749a.jpg

f6018ce0eb5492db1c512283954d79d3.jpg

929fb8dfe24de0d7250574a9bd1c7840.jpg

7fd308e0eca15eacf36716cb736da09a.jpg

0ac57a2e98b6c044c3488c12f412940a.jpg

5d76f7881ebc2c46c136ab5f47cfd31d.jpg

ca76a2c5390f7721a0e87961a35a7f1d.jpg

e57a8f3434090f57535403f5287446c2.jpg

5cd96482906565858f1a43d49e4fd16d.jpg

40d065c85360a1d2d2fc5294d919b72e.jpg

9deabc06f6c68a22f080b9fe4061374c.jpg

e37f6766dd87685aca602dc697befae8.jpg

884dad000019f33ac736e62045744b84.jpg

adc1a64c47276dccaf6c4e940c4a5003.jpg

e7605900aca3d1cbe03a975223d2a326.jpg

b576c617c37424c915bb10450e105961.jpg

2b594778c2fee7559b8f72f78dcb7b00.jpg

73d720ea0168b1c1fc917fb48dcdc53e.jpg

d6be7ee14cc52af9b82caf2f3d36f6d8.jpg

625c762cd452e1f223094809096bf657.jpg

6438d3d6457172c02ba8cee25c60e10e.jpg

c7041b5c0920094fd2163e0f93647f06.jpg