Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

I'm intrigued but the Dustin Johnson/Jason day putters. I'm on TMs website and they have four choices. Spider tour black, spider Tour red, spider limited red, and spider tour platinum.

I'm kind of confused by the descriptions. Other than the sight line and the offset/shaft are they all the same head?

Is the DJ version the more coveted version?

It says Day plays the same version as DJ but it's red....then the limited red which is a completely different putter is inspired by Day?

Can someone clear these up? I think I'm gonna end up searching for the black DJ version

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red and the black have different inserts. The DJ model has the firmer insert, the JD has the softer insert.

The silver one has the double bend shaft

The limited red is the double bend shaft with a sight line

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

The heads are all the same physical size from what I can tell. Weighting and inserts are slightly different along with the shafts, and grips

Tour Black - 355g head with toe hang and firmer insert than red

Tour Red - 355g head with toe hang and softer insert than black

Tour Platinum - 360g head and face balanced with pure roll insert

Tour Limited Red - same as Platinum

Limited 2016 - same as Platinum

I just picked up the Tour Platinum today.It took me while to figure out all the differences and could not make up my mind on what to go with. I really wanted to like the the tour black/red but i did not like aligning with it as it twists and does not stay square when placed next to ball. They all are pretty sweet. The best thing to do is go and try them all out as the subtle differences are quite noticeable.

The heads are all the same physical size from what I can tell. Weighting and inserts are slightly different along with the shafts, and grips

Tour Black - 355g head with toe hang and firmer insert than red

Tour Red - 355g head with toe hang and softer insert than black

Tour Platinum - 360g head and face balanced with pure roll insert

Tour Limited Red - same as Platinum

Limited 2016 - same as Platinum

I just picked up the Tour Platinum today.It took me while to figure out all the differences and could not make up my mind on what to go with. I really wanted to like the the tour black/red but i did not like aligning with it as it twists and does not stay square when placed next to ball. They all are pretty sweet. The best thing to do is go and try them all out as the subtle differences are quite noticeable.

Nice! Thank you. I thought because they were limited the stores wouldn't have one. I don't have a good place to demo putters but I'll go look. I've only used blades so it might be the black/red for me. I was hoping to score a platinum maybe with a military discount but might have to look elsewhere

Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

Isn't it listed on the the TM website under specs? 38 degrees I believe

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I have the OS CB Spider, it was 36" when got and had the counterbalance grip

But I had it cut to 34 and added the SS Flatso 2.0 and it has surprised me how a big space ship

Looking putter can be such a great putter. I recently tried to fall in love with the Ping

Sigma G Tyne even set up sane and I took it back, hard to beat that TM

But I had it cut to 34 and added the SS Flatso 2.0 and it has surprised me how a big space ship

Looking putter can be such a great putter. I recently tried to fall in love with the Ping

I'm in the same boat. I have the tyne and am just too inconsistent with it. Obviously, you like the spider better, but what exactly made the spider a better fit for you? Better feel, setup or roll? I still have 30 days to return the tyne lol

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I would guess that they are 3/4 toe hang

No, it's 38 degrees of toe hang which is in between face balanced and 1/4.

Has anyone tested the red vs. the black? I am looking for answers regarding the feel of the different inserts. I see the red one is more popular on tour. Unfortunately I am not in a position to test either models given my location. All information comparing the two inserts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Has anyone tested the red vs. the black? I am looking for answers regarding the feel of the different inserts. I see the red one is more popular on tour. Unfortunately I am not in a position to test either models given my location. All information comparing the two inserts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The red putter has a black "surlyn" (spelling?) insert, while the black has a silver "80/20" insert.

The black putter definitely has a firmer feel than the red. Those who are chasing the "super soft feel" in a putter will usually like the red version better. Personally, I like putters that have a firm feel with plenty of feedback (big fan of sound slots for that reason). The black version does a much better job of that than most mallets I've tried. The black kind of feels like the metal x milled #7 did... not firm but not soft, but not dead either. All in all, the sound/feel is good... not great... but better than almost any other mallet I've tried. The red feels more like the white hot rx insert... maybe not quite that soft, but pretty close. Nice putter, but farther away from my preferences, so I liked the black one better.

Please keep in mind that feel is completely subjective, so take all of this with a grain of salt. These are the opinions of a person whose gamer for the last year and a half has been a Stainless Steel Byron Morgan DH89, with very fine face milling and a sound slot (basically the opposite of what these putters represent).

I did buy the black, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot for a couple rounds... but I don't know what I'm going to do with a putter that doesn't have a flange that I can scoop up the ball with!

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm in the same boat. I have the tyne and am just too inconsistent with it. Obviously, you like the spider better, but what exactly made the spider a better fit for you? Better feel, setup or roll? I still have 30 days to return the tyne lol

I find that the TM weight keeps head steady more and the dark and red center makes easier to stay inline doesn't seem to waver when taken back where sigma seems to wonder a bit, and the TM is heavier but great for any length putt. Plus the sound, I love that muffled sound I really never liked a tinny sound, the only other two putters I would go with in a pinch would be TM Monte Carlo OS CB or odessy two ball tank

Thanks

The red putter has a black "surlyn" (spelling?) insert, while the black has a silver "80/20" insert.

The black putter definitely has a firmer feel than the red. Those who are chasing the "super soft feel" in a putter will usually like the red version better. Personally, I like putters that have a firm feel with plenty of feedback (big fan of sound slots for that reason). The black version does a much better job of that than most mallets I've tried. The black kind of feels like the metal x milled #7 did... not firm but not soft, but not dead either. All in all, the sound/feel is good... not great... but better than almost any other mallet I've tried. The red feels more like the white hot rx insert... maybe not quite that soft, but pretty close. Nice putter, but farther away from my preferences, so I liked the black one better.

Please keep in mind that feel is completely subjective, so take all of this with a grain of salt. These are the opinions of a person whose gamer for the last year and a half has been a Stainless Steel Byron Morgan DH89, with very fine face milling and a sound slot (basically the opposite of what these putters represent).

I did buy the black, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot for a couple rounds... but I don't know what I'm going to do with a putter that doesn't have a flange that I can scoop up the ball with!

Must be legit in order for you to even consider anything other than BM.

@therealping

I tried 4 models in store. The tour Red and Black and the Red and Black with sight lines. You can feel the firmer face on the tour black for sure but no sight line got into my head and I felt like I was turning the putter through my forward motion even though I wasn't (according to ball movement). I could see myself trying to compensate for the faux face turning if I didn't think about it just being in my head.

The sight line version was much better looking next to the ball in relation to me keeping the face/stroke straight in my head. I went with the red limited, the superstroke is my prefered grip and the darker shaft looks so nice in contrast with the red. Rolling putts around my living room has been fun and I can't wait for warmer weather.

Got a platinum coming in 33" and the SS 1.0, can't wait to give it a shot!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Anyone received there spider tours? Taylormade charged me on Thursday afternoon, but I still have not received a shipping notification. Website said they were supposed to ship on the 3rd and I thought it would have shipped, since they went ahead and charged my card.

TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5*
TaylorMade 2017 M1 15*
TaylorMade M2 Tour 3
TaylorMade PSI Tour 4-PW
TaylorMade EF 54 & 58 ATV
Putter

Here's my feedback from extensive testing...

I putt immeasurably better with the slant neck models (Red & Black) vs the double bend (platinum)

I really thought I would hate the firm insert in the Black Tour, but I ended up loving it

The fact the the head sits slightly open at address when grounded actually ends up being a benefit for me. In order to square the putter face I have to rest it on the toe or slightly hover it and ever since I've done this I've noticed that I roll the ball better. I've since translated this into my driver game and it's worked as well.

For me, the Black is almost automatic inside 10 feet and the only thing that's comparable is the Edel E-1

I really like the feel of the head on the back stroke, even though it's so different from all of the Dale head blades I've used over the years

I'd like to bag a Spider Tour Black going forward and then settle on a "project" Tei3 blade to have as a backup. I've never had a backup putter in my life, but I think it's a good option considering this would be only my second foray into mallet putters (it's been over 10 years since I last used one, but I just don't feel as comfortable over short putts as I used to)

Must be legit in order for you to even consider anything other than BM.

Trust me... The other putters aren't going anywhere!

The last time I "experimented" it was with an MXM Versa #7. Good putter, but just not for me. On course was only so-so, and I had a tendency to pull putts (thinking that was because I had never used a face balanced putter). It lasted a few practice sessions and one round.

I feel like this one has a better chance of sticking. The slant neck will work better with my stroke and the MOI is higher. I have the 8 gram weights in it right now, so the head is at 367 grams (closer to the 360-365 that I usually play). Feel is fine... and for a mallet, that's pretty good. I can live with "fine" in the feel dept. if there are noticeable gains in other aspects (mainly putts inside of 10').

Also ordered 20 gram weights, which would take the head up to 391 grams and (in theory) raise the MOI even more. Have a countercore grip on the way, too (first time trying a super stroke... figured I'd go all the way), so I can play around with different setups.

At the very least, it'll give me something to tinker with late at night while The Big Bang Theory reruns are on...

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I found the Red at DSG this weekend and was surprised at how well it seemed to set up against the ball and the weight was fantastic. I've never ever been able to stroke a TM mallet. I wonder if the slant neck helps that.

Also, for everyone who says this putter doesn't lie square, have you messed with the lie angle? I always struggled with this until I went through a putter fitting and found that once it's bent to the right lie angle, it sits square as can be. I have to imagine this is the case with the Spider, since I could physically see where I needed to hold my hands on the demo club to make it square. A little too high or low and it would start to point cockeyeed for me.

I see different sole plates on the black DJ model. what is the history with these 2 sole plates?

is that the only difference between the 2?

confusing..

There was a limited pre-release of the DJ model in November that had the itsy Bitsy sole plate (looks like the Limited model sole plate minus the word "Limited"). The full retail release that's happening now has the "Tour" sole plate.

Anyone received there spider tours? Taylormade charged me on Thursday afternoon, but I still have not received a shipping notification. Website said they were supposed to ship on the 3rd and I thought it would have shipped, since they went ahead and charged my card.

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Ground shipping from TM is brutally slow.