Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

I see different sole plates on the black DJ model. what is the history with these 2 sole plates?

is that the only difference between the 2?

confusing..

There was a limited pre-release of the DJ model in November that had the itsy Bitsy sole plate (looks like the Limited model sole plate minus the word "Limited"). The full retail release that's happening now has the "Tour" sole plate.

does the new or old sole plate make any difference in the putter setting up neutral vs open like most of these spider putters tend to do??

I see the new plate has a couple of "vents' where the "itsy" doesn't..

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see different sole plates on the black DJ model. what is the history with these 2 sole plates?

confusing..

There was a limited pre-release of the DJ model in November that had the itsy Bitsy sole plate (looks like the Limited model sole plate minus the word "Limited"). The full retail release that's happening now has the "Tour" sole plate.

does the new or old sole plate make any difference in the putter setting up neutral vs open like most of these spider putters tend to do??

I haven't actually held one of the new Spider's with the vents in the plate but apparently it sits "more square" than the Itsy Bitsy plate, but I would say that's probably subjective and has a lot to do with the alignment of the grip. My Itsy Bitsy plate sits square for me.

I guess I never really understood the complaint of it sitting open because as soon as you hold the putter in both hands, wouldn't you square it to the target you're aiming at anyway?

confusing..

I haven't actually held one of the new Spider's with the vents in the plate but apparently it sits "more square" than the Itsy Bitsy plate, but I would say that's probably subjective and has a lot to do with the alignment of the grip. My Itsy Bitsy plate sits square for me.

I guess I never really understood the complaint of it sitting open because as soon as you hold the putter in both hands, wouldn't you square it to the target you're aiming at anyway?

I agree with what you are saying,, BUT.... I feel like when a putter sits open,,i feel like it wants to open so I have to force it with more pressure to sit square. I don't like feeling like that..

I'm lefty so haven't had the opportunity to roll a Spider Tour but why the heck would TM make a putter sit open? I'm confused. Also i could be wrong but the guys on tour aren't having trouble squaring up the putter that's for sure. I'm interested to see for myself in a month or so when lefties become available how open this putter supposedly sits.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Must be legit in order for you to even consider anything other than BM.

Trust me... The other putters aren't going anywhere!

The last time I "experimented" it was with an MXM Versa #7. Good putter, but just not for me. On course was only so-so, and I had a tendency to pull putts (thinking that was because I had never used a face balanced putter). It lasted a few practice sessions and one round.

I feel like this one has a better chance of sticking. The slant neck will work better with my stroke and the MOI is higher. I have the 8 gram weights in it right now, so the head is at 367 grams (closer to the 360-365 that I usually play). Feel is fine... and for a mallet, that's pretty good. I can live with "fine" in the feel dept. if there are noticeable gains in other aspects (mainly putts inside of 10').

Also ordered 20 gram weights, which would take the head up to 391 grams and (in theory) raise the MOI even more. Have a countercore grip on the way, too (first time trying a super stroke... figured I'd go all the way), so I can play around with different setups.

At the very least, it'll give me something to tinker with late at night while The Big Bang Theory reruns are on...

Where did you order the extra weights? I'm looking for 8 and 10g set for my spider tour.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Where did you order the extra weights? I'm looking for 8 and 10g set for my spider tour.

I ordered the 20 gram weights on eBay. They are "fake" and coming from overseas, but I'm not too concerned... if they don't thread right, I'm out $20, but if they do, it's not like I'm swinging the putter at high speed, so they should be just fine. You can find OEM ones on the bay, though. They shouldn't be too costly.

I got the 8 gram weights from my local Roger Dunn. They were actually really cool and swapped out the 2 gram weights with the 8s at time of purchase and didn't charge me for them. I didn't get to keep the 2s... but didn't really want them, either.

I'm really surprised to see so many people saying that this head sits open. Mine sits square pretty easily and I see no tendencies to fall open.

Wonder if it's more of an issue with the sole plate, manufacturing tolerances or people not being fit into the correct lie angle...

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I ordered the 20 gram weights on eBay. They are "fake" and coming from overseas, but I'm not too concerned... if they don't thread right, I'm out $20, but if they do, it's not like I'm swinging the putter at high speed, so they should be just fine. You can find OEM ones on the bay, though. They shouldn't be too costly.

I got the 8 gram weights from my local Roger Dunn. They were actually really cool and swapped out the 2 gram weights with the 8s at time of purchase and didn't charge me for them. I didn't get to keep the 2s... but didn't really want them, either.

I'm really surprised to see so many people saying that this head sits open. Mine sits square pretty easily and I see no tendencies to fall open.

Wonder if it's more of an issue with the sole plate, manufacturing tolerances or people not being fit into the correct lie angle...

Ok cool. That is where I was looking to on eBay and the single weights were coming from China. I called around and a shop near meand they have a set of 8g weights so I will pick those up and give those a try. I just got my Putter today and it's awesome! It Does not sit open to my eyes at all it looks square. Just got to get used to the little extra roll I get with the new insert!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

This putter sounds like crap. Wanted to like it, but no thanks. Not a $400 CDN putter by any means. The TP putters on the other hand, feel and sound great.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

is there any more "value" or rarity that makes the original tour black spider with the "itsy" sole more desireable than the new plate?

I wonder why they put vents in the new plate?

seems as though people say both models sit open...ughhhhh

There are most likely less Itsy plates made than the Tour but I would imagine they did that for cost (since there is less detail on the Tour plates) and to update the look a bit. But I personally like the spider web on the Itsy plate and that is says Itsy Bitsy but that's just me.

Would you guys compare the limited insert to that of the tour black? I know the insert on the tour is a bit firmer than the red.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Would you guys compare the limited insert to that of the tour black? I know the insert on the tour is a bit firmer than the red.

No - the limited insert sounds like a cheap click, the black is firm but has a much nicer sound and feel.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i'm on the fence because its always tough to spend $300+ let alone on golf clubs. But if this putter is legit like many on here claim, i may be grabbing one soon.

No - the limited insert sounds like a cheap click, the black is firm but has a much nicer sound and feel.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i'm on the fence because its always tough to spend $300+ let alone on golf clubs. But if this putter is legit like many on here claim, i may be grabbing one soon.

If it's not obvious from all of my posts in the Spider threads, I think it's 100% worth it and don't think you will be disappointed. It might not be for everyone but it is certainly for me and I am coming from using double bend face-balanced putters almost exclusively for the past couple of years. It just sets up well for my eye, I don't really worry about much and just point and shoot. I think it's really helped me with 7-12 footers more so than any other distance range.

It is obviously apples and oranges in terms of putters, necks, etc., but when I played the TM Ghost Spider Si putter for a bit, that definitely sat open as well. I always felt I was fighting that and could not get comfortable. Full disclosure, I have not seen or rolled the new TM Tour putters, but I can vouch that this tendency in certain putters can be annoying. I'll definitely give these putters a look though.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

If it's not obvious from all of my posts in the Spider threads, I think it's 100% worth it and don't think you will be disappointed. It might not be for everyone but it is certainly for me and I am coming from using double bend face-balanced putters almost exclusively for the past couple of years. It just sets up well for my eye, I don't really worry about much and just point and shoot. I think it's really helped me with 7-12 footers more so than any other distance range.

Oh believe me, the spider threads are the reason i may be dumping my trusty seemore lol I recently bought the Ping Tyne and as much as I want to love it, it's not clicking with me. I've spent some time at GG over the weekend and I can confidently say the tour is one of the better feeling putters out there. I usually need sight lines on my putter but to my surprise, I was putting fairly well with both the red and black. I also love that on the takeway, it's very smooth and stable and gives me confidence to make a good stroke.

So what's the deal with this putter sitting open for so many? Is it lie angle, is it a product of the design or is it being blown out of proportion? I want to order one but hearing people say you need to go through a process setting up to the ball to square it properly vs. naturally is not for me

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

20gr weights?? the stock weights that come are 4's.. so you are actually going to add 32grs to your putter??

making this a 387 gr head?? WOW!!! that seems really strange

20gr weights?? the stock weights that come are 4's.. so you are actually going to add 32grs to your putter??

making this a 387 gr head?? WOW!!! that seems really strange

The stock weights are actually 2s (that's what came in mine, anyway), so the total add will be 36 grams, making the head 391.

I currently have the 8 gram weights, which nets out at a 367 gram head weight. Also have a SS countercore grip on the way, so a few different things to play around with. That's the beauty of adjustable weights... if you don't like it... just change them back.

Depending on how the grip changes the feel (with and without the 50 gram weight installed), I might grab a couple more weight sets to try out.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

So what's the deal with this putter sitting open for so many? Is it lie angle, is it a product of the design or is it being blown out of proportion? I want to order one but hearing people say you need to go through a process setting up to the ball to square it properly vs. naturally is not for me

What people are saying is accurate. You need to make sure you square the putter up at address or you will miss puts to the right. I stopped using the putter for that reason, it is an excellent putter though. I also prefer the 80/20 insert over the pure roll insert so that was another reason to switch.

What people are saying is accurate. You need to make sure you square the putter up at address or you will miss puts to the right. I stopped using the putter for that reason, it is an excellent putter though. I also prefer the 80/20 insert over the pure roll insert so that was another reason to switch.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the hosel is almost crooked against the opening line... that might be the biggest factor in the putter sitting open. I can take a picture when I get home... I've seen a few of these and they are all the same so there must be a rhyme or reason. Although, if you look at JD or DJ's actual putter from WITB, their hosel is in a different place and more straight against the opening line. Their hosel is also very slightly moved towards the center of the face.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the hosel is almost crooked against the opening line... that might be the biggest factor in the putter sitting open. I can take a picture when I get home... I've seen a few of these and they are all the same so there must be a rhyme or reason. Although, if you look at JD or DJ's actual putter from WITB, their hosel is in a different place and more straight against the opening line. Their hosel is also very slightly moved towards the center of the face.

Yeah it just naturally sits open, but I forward press as a trigger movement so it's perfect for me as it stops me from pulling putts left.

Well, that didn't take long. I pulled the trigger and just got home with the tour red. I preferred the softer feel of the surlyn insert. I see how everyone says it sits open but make sure your grip alignment is correct, otherwise it'll sit open. I noticed distance control on this is amazing. Can't wait to put some rounds on this as I can see why there is so much hype. Also the putter cover is sweet, the red with the kangaroo is a nice touch.