Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still haven't really seen an answer about the lie angle and whether that's the real culprit for the face sitting open. I saw them both last night and it seems very dependent on hand position, and I'm guessing the massive head exaggerates the look of open face. Has anyone been fit or tried to bend one of these yet? I found I needed my hands in a very upright position (although I'm a bad judge because I've been fit into a 8* flat because I prefer my hands low and close to my body).

Still haven't really seen an answer about the lie angle and whether that's the real culprit for the face sitting open. I saw them both last night and it seems very dependent on hand position, and I'm guessing the massive head exaggerates the look of open face. Has anyone been fit or tried to bend one of these yet? I found I needed my hands in a very upright position (although I'm a bad judge because I've been fit into a 8* flat because I prefer my hands low and close to my body).

Can't say for sure, but I'd bet it's the lie angle that's the problem.

With a blade, you can set a putter down with the toe up and not even notice. The width (front to back) is small enough to where there isn't anything that is going to pull the face in either direction around the pivot point (which would be the part of the sole that's soled on the ground... the heel side, when the toe is up) when the putter isn't soled perfectly. Gravity tries to pull the toe down, but not enough for us to notice, as our hand position easily overrides it.

With this putter, it's much wider... plus there is a lot of weight in the back of the head (unlike an Odyssey #7 type of design). If you sole this putter with the toe up, gravity isn't just trying to pull the toe back down. The weight in the back, on the toe side, will also be in the air and will want to be pulled back down to the ground. This would cause the face to rotate around the pivot point and open.

Toe up with a blade = Gravity pulling the toe down = No real issues other than a poor fit (pretty common, really)

Toe up with a back weighted mallet = Gravity pulling the toe down and back = Face falling open = Same poor fit, same fix, but bigger problem initially.

I've tried some putters that just didn't want to sit square before, but this isn't one of them. I tried 2 blacks and a red, and they all set up fine.

For people who are having a problem with the face falling open; I'd suggest setting up to the putter the way the putter wants to set up, then adjusting your hand position to match, instead of trying to fit the putter to your stroke right away. If this fixes the problem, and it sits square, then that confirms that the lie angle is just wrong for you. From there, it should be a pretty simple lie angle adjustment to have made so the putter will fit your set up position.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's not the lie angle or an illusion, some of these putter sit wide open when soled, absolutely no doubt about it. I went shopping for a putter today and visited three different stores that all had one black and one red in stock. Out of the six putters, one of them sat completely square, all the others sat open to varying degrees. One of them so much that the top corner pretty much pointed to 1:30 on a clock. I've been leaning the shafts up and down, forward and backward and the only way to make the head square at address would be to have your hands waaay behind the ball.

I have a Seemore mfgp2 (round mid mallet) that sits open at address, and I know from experience it opens up a lot more on an indoor putting surface than on actual grass. Still enough to be annoying outdoors though.

One of the Taylormade TP Mullen putters sat open at address too, but not another one I tried.

It's not the lie angle or an illusion, some of these putter sit wide open when soled, absolutely no doubt about it. I went shopping for a putter today and visited three different stores that all had one black and one red in stock. Out of the six putters, one of them sat completely square, all the others sat open to varying degrees. One of them so much that the top corner pretty much pointed to 1:30 on a clock. I've been leaning the shafts up and down, forward and backward and the only way to make the head square at address would be to have your hands waaay behind the ball.

I have a Seemore mfgp2 (round mid mallet) that sits open at address, and I know from experience it opens up a lot more on an indoor putting surface than on actual grass. Still enough to be annoying outdoors though.

One of the Taylormade TP Mullen putters sat open at address too, but not another one I tried.

To close mine I have to have my hands ahead of the club face, feel quite lucky that mine seems to be perfect for me!

To close mine I have to have my hands ahead of the club face, feel quite lucky that mine seems to be perfect for me!

Indeed, I wouldn't mind having to have my hands just slightly in front of the ball either. I would like to have the option to get on SAM and double check the loft at impact with a setup like that though.

At first I thought these putters were not for me (even believe I wrote that on another thread here), but it's difficult to deny how stable they are. I usually don't like big heavy mallets like this, but the stability through the stroke really is quite impressive with these. I talked to a guy in a store and said that I would be interested in a black 35" model, but only if it sat square. He said he was going to order one for me and specifically ask for them to check that it sits square. If it doesn't, I would not have to buy it. Worth a try.

Went to the local Golfsmith (transitioning to a Golf Galaxy) and picked up the Tour Black. Really enjoyed the feel off the putter and the sound. Made quite a few and the distance control seemed very good. Really didn't like the stock grip on it though, but that is easily changed. Felt better than my current putter.

I felt that it did have some "pop", so I'd like to take it on th actual course and see how it does with short putts.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I grabbed this one today. My only comment is that at setup it looks like it has zero loft

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Does anyone know if their is a functional REASON for the new sole plate? I have the DJ limited edition (released in December) with the "old" soleplate which is different than pictured immediately above....I'm assuming it's purely cosmetic, but, anyone know something further?

I have both the limited and tour. Honestly the sole plates make no difference to me. I don't know the specs on the sole plate but I believe it's for cosmetic purposes only.

I think people feel it sits open is due to the 38 deg toe hang and the way the slant neck is welded onto the head.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I grabbed this one today. My only comment is that at setup it looks like it has zero loft

looks closed?

Mine wanted to rest a bit open, not closed at all. The sound and feel were great. A bit louder and more of a click feel for me .

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

looks closed?

Mine wanted to rest a bit open, not closed at all. The sound and feel were great. A bit louder and more of a click feel for me .

First thing I said when checking one out, looks like it has 0* loft. The neck also hides more of the heel of the putter than usual. I'm still planning on taking the black one out for a test drive as soon as my club gets demos in.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Thanks guys. Has anyone tried the itsy limited red with the alignment line (platinum version now) against the red tour and black tour faces to get a comparison.

Limited red is very clicky, feels cheap compared to the other two.

I would agree. The limited definitely has a clickier/firmer feel than both the black and red tour.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Be careful with the removable weights on these. Accidentally sheared off one of the weights and spent about an hour drilling it out.

Taylormade M1 440, Fujikura Atmos TS Black 70 TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade M2 Tour T3 12*, Atmos TS Black 80TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade P7-TW 3-PW, DG TI X100
Vokey SM7 56.14F / 60.12D, DG S400
Byron Morgan 615

Be careful with the removable weights on these. Accidentally sheared off one of the weights and spent about an hour drilling it out.

that sounds like a problem with your weight...

the weights still use a torque wrench, so it'll click when it is the right amount of torque.

this could happen to any screw that goes in putters or drivers.. sounds like bad luck.

i hope u used a torque wrench and not just screwed down super tight!!

Ok thanks guys. I'll go the blck one and we how it goes :)

He was talking about the Red Limited with the double bend shaft, both the new red and black (day and DJ) putters feel great black is much firmer and hotter off the face I had one and just got the Red and it is perfect feel in my opinion.

that sounds like a problem with your weight...

the weights still use a torque wrench, so it'll click when it is the right amount of torque.

this could happen to any screw that goes in putters or drivers.. sounds like bad luck.

i hope u used a torque wrench and not just screwed down super tight!!

They use a 30LB torque wrench instead of the 40LB one that comes with all the M1 and m2 lines thats probably why it busted...

can someone send a link to the heavier weights that will work with the tour black/red? wanna make sure im getting the right thing

TM Qi-10 Core (9) MRC Diamana GT 60X
TM Stealth2 (15) Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
TM Stealth2 3-19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X
TM P790 (4,5) GD Tour AD-DI 95-S

TM P770 (6-9) TT S400(TI)
TM MG3 46.09, TM Hi-Toe 3 (50.09, 54.10, 60.10) TT S400(TI)
TM TP Reserve M27

Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.

Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

hmm.. most on here say that the limited red with the alignment is crappy.. and that the design of that one is nothing like the ones dj or day use.

i just got the dj and it feels awesome,, sits square. i had the limited red one before and got rid of it cuz of the no toe hang, and it sat open

hmm.. most on here say that the limited red with the alignment is crappy.. and that the design of that one is nothing like the ones dj or day use.

i just got the dj and it feels awesome,, sits square. i had the limited red one before and got rid of it cuz of the no toe hang, and it sat open

That's where I'm struggling with the Tour Spider as well. Sits great, feels really good to me, but no alignment line and the price really push me away.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link