Miura CB57 Review

Definitely considering a set of these irons. Can anyone give a long-term review of them?

I've had the lust for CB57's for a long time and finally bought them about a year ago. I wanted ultra feel and buttery soft response. I must say that I was disappointed when I absolutely nutted the ball, it felt more like a muted/ click response. I wanted silk in my hands when I hit it right, and it just didn't work out that way (for me). Turf interaction was pretty good.

I'm currently gaming the Bridgestone J15 MB's. Butter soft, and high launching with my D.G. X100's in them (I have a steep angle of attack).

Yea, “butter” is NOT a Miura feel. Miura is a SOLID, ball compressing, pure feeling ‘click’. I actually feel that I get better feedback from my Miura Small “Baby” Blades than I ever did with a “buttery” feeling iron. I know when and where I miss when I miss.

Have the 4-PW CB-57's and hit them on the range for the first time today. Wonderful clubs, perfect turf interaction . . . shallow half-dollar bill divot. I have the F3 95 Recoil shafts in them.

Now community, please recommend a suitable gap wedge (50, 51 degrees) to go along with that club head style.

Thank you!

With a 47* PW in the CBs you can stick with the "1957" series, and pick up a y-grind 51* or, if you prefer a little less bounce, grab a k-grind 52* and bend stronger.

I actually game a 49* y-grind but tend to use it more when I have my stronger lofted (45* PW) OnOffs in the bag.

That's good advice. I'll look for one of those two.

Meanwhile . . . love the turf interaction!!

Maybe someone else will have some different input than me on them, but I've owned 2 different Miura CB's (LH CB and Miura MG CB) and two sets of MB's (LH Black Blades, and MG MB). All sets were pretty much the same, as I believe all the lefty MB's are essentially TB's with some very moderate changes, if any at all. Currently still own the long irons in the MG CB's, the full set of LH CB's and the LTD Black Blades.

My question for anyone else that has extensively gamed the CB's and the MB's: Did you actually notice much of a difference between them? I ask this because I really don't notice any advantage to playing the CB's. Personally, I've tested the CB's against a few other sets of CB / players irons (2013 x forged, apex pros, and cobra king ltd's. The cobra's were a combo set, so I tested the mb's with my miura mb's and the CB's against my miura cb's), and have found other CB's to hold the advantages of CB's that most would want in terms of forgiveness, larger sole, size, etc, but the Miura's really only seem to launch a touch higher in the comparison of MB/CB.

This question is really sort of limited because of my options as a lefty, so I haven't gotten to try the 501's, PP's, etc.

This isn't a knock on Miura. I'm a true fan boy, but I was just curious if other's have come up with anything similar.

Have the 4-PW CB-57's and hit them on the range for the first time today. Wonderful clubs, perfect turf interaction . . . shallow half-dollar bill divot. I have the F3 95 Recoil shafts in them.

Now community, please recommend a suitable gap wedge (50, 51 degrees) to go along with that club head style.

Thank you!

The first flushed shot, namely the turf interaction and how solid the ball flight is, spells disaster for anyone who has tried Miura's and was even considering using a different club ever again. lol

• 2 months later...

I asked an eBay seller about the Vega VC-01 irons compared to the Miura CB 57's, which I own. Here is my question and his answer:

Are the leading ledge of these irons rather "sharp" or more rounded? I have a set of Miura CB-57's and they are a bit sharp. Looking for advice and experience with these regarding turf interaction. The irons you have for sale look great, and tempting.

Here in Texas we play mostly firm conditions and we need a bit of relief at the leading edge.

Thank you.

His answer:

Keep the 57's, Miura irons are great. You can round the leading edges of the irons by sanding them with something like a 4" wide bench sander. Like those sold at Harbor Freight. Don't worry about the value as someone will always buy them or you can have them refinished by a man in Colorado.

It sounds like you need to flatten your swing. You can do this by standing further away from the ball at address. Also go back low and slow and come through low and slow. Play only half swings with the short irons 7-PW at least for a time. When you make your practice swings before hitting the ball, do so alongside the ball. Make sure that you bottom-out before the ball with the practice swing, between the ball and the target.

I hope this helps. These Vegas are a little difficult to hit and you would not better yourself by buying them.

Comments?

Thank you!

The first flushed shot, namely the turf interaction and how solid the ball flight is, spells disaster for anyone who has tried Miura's and was even considering using a different club ever again. lol

I agree on that first flushed shot. First time I hit Miura's I was only visiting a fitter for what I assumed would be a re-shaft/adjustment of the irons I had at the time. It was the first time I saw the Miura's in real life, so while he was in the back room I grabbed a demo and started hitting it. Ooops. Took the Tuning Fork in my loins thing Tin Cup was talking about to a whole new level.

Unfortunately I sold them a couple years ago, but thinking I'm going to have to go back.

I asked an eBay seller about the Vega VC-01 irons compared to the Miura CB 57's, which I own. Here is my question and his answer:

Are the leading ledge of these irons rather "sharp" or more rounded? I have a set of Miura CB-57's and they are a bit sharp. Looking for advice and experience with these regarding turf interaction. The irons you have for sale look great, and tempting.

Here in Texas we play mostly firm conditions and we need a bit of relief at the leading edge.

Thank you.

His answer:

Keep the 57's, Miura irons are great. You can round the leading edges of the irons by sanding them with something like a 4" wide bench sander. Like those sold at Harbor Freight. Don't worry about the value as someone will always buy them or you can have them refinished by a man in Colorado.

It sounds like you need to flatten your swing. You can do this by standing further away from the ball at address. Also go back low and slow and come through low and slow. Play only half swings with the short irons 7-PW at least for a time. When you make your practice swings before hitting the ball, do so alongside the ball. Make sure that you bottom-out before the ball with the practice swing, between the ball and the target.

I hope this helps. These Vegas are a little difficult to hit and you would not better yourself by buying them.

Comments?

Sounds like a genuine and sincere seller here, but the only advice I'd heed is keeping the Miura. I play in soft conditions and don't notice any issues with the leading edges being sharp on my 57s. In fact I think they're about perfect for nearly any and all playing conditions. I'd think you'd want a sharper leading edge playing in dryer and tighter conditions?!

@therealping

Thank you.

His answer:

Comments?

Sounds like a genuine and sincere seller here, but the only advice I'd heed is keeping the Miura. I play in soft conditions and don't notice any issues with the leading edges being sharp on my 57s. In fact I think they're about perfect for nearly any and all playing conditions. I'd think you'd want a sharper leading edge playing in dryer and tighter conditions?!

Thanks MJ. True about the 57's playability. I have the Vega VC-01 8-iron head that I'll shaft up and see for myself. Now, about standing further away from the ball . . .:)

Thank you.

His answer:

Comments?

Thanks MJ. True about the 57's playability. I have the Vega VC-01 8-iron head that I'll shaft up and see for myself. Now, about standing further away from the ball . . . :)

It's not often you get swing advice from someone trying to sell golf clubs. Probably a nice guy but that gave me a chuckle.

It would have been even better if he advised calling up Bob Rotella and getting some 'Golf Therapy'

Turf interaction hasn't been an issue with my 57s.

PS: I always think people are standing too far away from the ball.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Thank you.

His answer:

Comments?

Thanks MJ. True about the 57's playability. I have the Vega VC-01 8-iron head that I'll shaft up and see for myself. Now, about standing further away from the ball . . . :)

It's not often you get swing advice from someone trying to sell golf clubs. Probably a nice guy but that gave me a chuckle.

It would have been even better if he advised calling up Bob Rotella and getting some 'Golf Therapy'

Turf interaction hasn't been an issue with my 57s.

PS: I always think people are standing too far away from the ball.

grin.

Had I not said just a "thank you" to his answer, I'm sure a Rotella referral would have come in response. Too funny when he did say, essentially, "don't buy these clubs". Agree, we do stand too far away from the ball.

• 9 months later...

Maybe someone else will have some different input than me on them, but I've owned 2 different Miura CB's (LH CB and Miura MG CB) and two sets of MB's (LH Black Blades, and MG MB). All sets were pretty much the same, as I believe all the lefty MB's are essentially TB's with some very moderate changes, if any at all. Currently still own the long irons in the MG CB's, the full set of LH CB's and the LTD Black Blades.

My question for anyone else that has extensively gamed the CB's and the MB's: Did you actually notice much of a difference between them? I ask this because I really don't notice any advantage to playing the CB's. Personally, I've tested the CB's against a few other sets of CB / players irons (2013 x forged, apex pros, and cobra king ltd's. The cobra's were a combo set, so I tested the mb's with my miura mb's and the CB's against my miura cb's), and have found other CB's to hold the advantages of CB's that most would want in terms of forgiveness, larger sole, size, etc, but the Miura's really only seem to launch a touch higher in the comparison of MB/CB.

This question is really sort of limited because of my options as a lefty, so I haven't gotten to try the 501's, PP's, etc.

This isn't a knock on Miura. I'm a true fan boy, but I was just curious if other's have come up with anything similar.

Different experience for me.

Extensively gamed MB001(one season) followed by CB57 (one season) and 4 months of Baby Blades in-between.

CB 57 the most forgiving of the lot, best dispersion on the course and on GC2, hit more greens with it, scores are better. 501's does not play well in my hands at all.

MB001's are also fantastic, but slightly harder to score with. Better workability than the 57's. Really struggle with the 57's to hit the big curves when needed.

Baby blades - the iron equivalent of the SLDR driver. The good shots are the best feeling ever, but the bad ones terrible. Scoring is 3 shots worse a round on average with the BB. I look at them and polish them, but does not play them when serious golf is being played.

Different comparison, but I'll add my thoughts.

Yesterday I played my first round with my new MB-001 irons.

I can't begin to describe how awesome and beautiful these are to play. But, being in this thread I'm sure everyone is aware...

I came from Mizuno MP-64 irons. I was worried about playing a blade, but the MB-001 were virtually no different or more difficult to hit.

If I put a bad swing or strike on it I was penalized, but I expected that even with the mizzys.

Basically the MB-001 aren't going anywhere for along time.

Note: I'm about a 10 handicap

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I had my first real experience with Miura irons yesterday and can’t get them out of my head. I’ve only hit them in the simulator, but the feel was sensational and I was getting what appeared to be a very powerful ball flight from both sets I tried - the CB 57 and CB 1008.

I couldn’t really tell much of a difference between them in terms of performance indoors. What differences would you all expect I would see outdoors on the course? Is one appreciably longer or more forgiving than the other? The 1008s are used and the 57s would be new. Both with Modus 120s. About $150 difference in price (so negligible) with the used 1008s being slightly more expensive.

I’m smitten with the feel. is there a bad choice between the 2 sets.

Personally, I would go with the CB 57s over the 1008s.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Diamana ZF 60S
Titleist TSR2 16.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Titleist  818H1 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-95X

Srixon ZX4/ZX5/ZX7 MKII 4-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Cleveland RTX4 50° (mid), 54° (mid) TI DG S400

Cleveland RTX6 58° (low) TI DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89 34/350

I’ve never even hit the 1008s but I like how they look. My CB57s are one of those classic sets I’ll never part with because they’ll never go out of style. That head also has been discontinued. I actually had a set and sold them (Modus 125 stiff too much for me) and when I heard they had been discontinued I grabbed another set.

I find hitting them to be addictive. The short irons are really a blast. Darts at the hole. One other aspect that surprised me is how well they play out of the rough. I don’t play them full-time because I’m not good enough. But I play them enough. Nine quick holes before it gets dark on a Sunday? I’m taking them out. Have never had a good player hit them and fail to say something about how great they feel. Agree with the poster who said mats don’t do them justice. That perfect sole must be felt on turf.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The Miura CB 57's are so PURE! I just had a set built 4-PW with Nippon Modus 120TX , and they are so good! The turf interaction is the incredible, and like the above poster stated, they are so good from the rough. This set will be in my possession from now on, and I am already contemplating buying another set. They are just that good!

I find the appearance of the CB57's to appear more blade-like looking down at the ball. Feel-wise, they were pretty similar. I think if you choose either one you would be very happy. But if I could only choose one, it would be the CB57s.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Diamana ZF 60S
Titleist TSR2 16.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Titleist  818H1 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-95X

Srixon ZX4/ZX5/ZX7 MKII 4-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Cleveland RTX4 50° (mid), 54° (mid) TI DG S400

Cleveland RTX6 58° (low) TI DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89 34/350