RDD Q&A on Everything Golf

whr

Robert what do you make of this statement from Tiger?

"Unfortunately, due to ongoing rest and rehabilitation on my back, I won't be able to play in this year's Arnold Palmer Invitational," Woods said. "I'm especially disappointed because I wanted to be at Bay Hill to help honor Arnold. This is one event I didn't want to skip. Arnold has meant so much to me and my family; I thought of him as a close friend, and Sam and Charlie were both born in the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies. He will be greatly missed and can never truly be replaced."

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close friends and family always come first in life.

Why do you think that Justin Thomas, who's going to a wedding of one of his good friends, that was scheduled many months before Arnold Palmer's passing, should shun his friend to participate in the tournament at Bay Hill instead? I'm having a very hard time coming up with logical reasoning for your stance on this.

You're right. Close friends and family are the most important thing in your life next to good health.

That being said, only 10 of 25 players are coming to this year's API. Very few top players went to his funeral. That is awfully disrespectful to his legacy and his family.

I am fine with JT going to the wedding, but hopefully he makes a personal call to Mr Palmer's family to explain.

When I sent the original tweet, I was a sitting at Mr Palmer's old table in the Bay Hill locker room and had a couple beers in me. I wouldn't do it if I had it to do over.

Thoughts on Gary Player not attending Mr. Palmers funeral and paying his final respects to his life long friend? To me that is light years more disrespectful than certain players of today not attending his funeral or playing his event this year.

Word was that Gary Player couldn't get visa in time to get there from South Africa. That's totally understandable.

Gary Player, one of the world's most travelled golfer doesn't have a UD Visa? Hard to imagine. They usually give those out with ten year validity periods and not single entry unless South Africa is on some watchlist.

Blades or cavity backs? Why?

Very little difference. Whatever looks and feels good to you.

Welcome to the board Bro!!

Thanks much for taking the time to respond!

The Very Best to You?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

Thank you

Welcome to the board Bro!!

Thanks much for taking the time to respond!

The Very Best to You?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

Thank you

Did/do you and other pros get tired of fans yelling "Get in the hole" or things of similar nature?

Some do, but I love it. Why would a sporting event tell its fans to shut up???

How often do PGA pros notice the hotties in the gallery?

Almost every time

How often do PGA pros notice the hotties in the gallery?

Almost every time

You mentioned about changing your swing because you hit next to Fred Couples. Can you:

1.Tell us what you tried to do and what were the consequences?

And

2. Who would you say was the best ball striker you've seen play in person. Not just someone who knew how to curve the ball like Pavin, but someone who had great ball control AND struck it really pure with great trajectory and sound.

Thank you RDD!

Why do you think that Justin Thomas, who's going to a wedding of one of his good friends, that was scheduled many months before Arnold Palmer's passing, should shun his friend to participate in the tournament at Bay Hill instead? I'm having a very hard time coming up with logical reasoning for your stance on this.

You're right. Close friends and family are the most important thing in your life next to good health.

That being said, only 10 of 25 players are coming to this year's API. Very few top players went to his funeral. That is awfully disrespectful to his legacy and his family.

I am fine with JT going to the wedding, but hopefully he makes a personal call to Mr Palmer's family to explain.

When I sent the original tweet, I was a sitting at Mr Palmer's old table in the Bay Hill locker room and had a couple beers in me. I wouldn't do it if I had it to do over.

Thoughts on Gary Player not attending Mr. Palmers funeral and paying his final respects to his life long friend? To me that is light years more disrespectful than certain players of today not attending his funeral or playing his event this year.

Word was that Gary Player couldn't get visa in time to get there from South Africa. That's totally understandable.

I'm not buying that explanation. It's highly likely that Players B2 (business) USA visa if for multiple years (can be valid for 10 years) and multiple visits for up to 6 months at a time. Given Players business interests in the USA that could require him to be here at various times I doubt his USA visitors visa has ever expired. That's the last I'll say on it. Thank you for taking the time to answer questions in this thread.

Im not South African ambassador. I'll take him at his word

So here's another on that seems to be popular on this site. Do you think a male 4 handicap can beat a mid level LPGA player?

We all know the answer but it would be great to have a professional opinion!

4 handicap is too high. From the tips a scratch has a great chance

What about from the length LPGA players usually play from? Say 6,500 yards?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'm not buying that explanation. It's highly likely that Players B2 (business) USA visa if for multiple years (can be valid for 10 years) and multiple visits for up to 6 months at a time. Given Players business interests in the USA that could require him to be here at various times I doubt his USA visitors visa has ever expired. That's the last I'll say on it. Thank you for taking the time to answer questions in this thread.

Who the f cares why Gary Player wasn't there and why would you? Silly.

Robert what do you make of this statement from Tiger?

"Unfortunately, due to ongoing rest and rehabilitation on my back, I won't be able to play in this year's Arnold Palmer Invitational," Woods said. "I'm especially disappointed because I wanted to be at Bay Hill to help honor Arnold. This is one event I didn't want to skip. Arnold has meant so much to me and my family; I thought of him as a close friend, and Sam and Charlie were both born in the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies. He will be greatly missed and can never truly be replaced."

Ok, so he can't play. Will he show up to any services or commemorations next week? Why didn't he show up to AP's funeral?

Gary Player, one of the world's most travelled golfer doesn't have a UD Visa? Hard to imagine. They usually give those out with ten year validity periods and not single entry unless South Africa is on some watchlist.

I'm relaying what I heard

So here's another on that seems to be popular on this site. Do you think a male 4 handicap can beat a mid level LPGA player?

We all know the answer but it would be great to have a professional opinion!

4 handicap is too high. From the tips a scratch has a great chance

What about from the length LPGA players usually play from? Say 6,500 yards?

Less than 6500 LPGA would be tough.

What an awesome thing to do for all of the members here. Robert, you are my new favorite golfer!

You and I have something in common then!!

What an awesome thing to do for all of the members here. Robert, you are my new favorite golfer!

You and I have something in common then!!

You mentioned about changing your swing because you hit next to Fred Couples. Can you:

1.Tell us what you tried to do and what were the consequences?

And

2. Who would you say was the best ball striker you've seen play in person. Not just someone who knew how to curve the ball like Pavin, but someone who had great ball control AND struck it really pure with great trajectory and sound.

Thank you RDD!

Price, Watson, Couples were the best.

I didn't change anything specific, just a stupid series of adjustments.

Hey man, what advice would you give to the next generation of aspiring pros? What would be the best path to take to get on tour for the current college kids?

Be willing to do what the other guys aren't. Get up at 5am, work harder, work out harder. If you know you did things others didn't, you'll have a mental edge and sense of deservedness.

Also, play as much as you can.

At the end of the day, it's the Will to Win that separates the best from the rest

Hey man, what advice would you give to the next generation of aspiring pros? What would be the best path to take to get on tour for the current college kids?

Be willing to do what the other guys aren't. Get up at 5am, work harder, work out harder. If you know you did things others didn't, you'll have a mental edge and sense of deservedness.

At the end of the day, it's the Will to Win that separates the best from the rest

Q school? Mini Tours? Monday Quali? What would you recommend?

Not many mondays. Not frequent enough. Mini tours, gambling games. Anything where you keep a score and put some pressure on yourself.

Not many mondays. Not frequent enough. Mini tours, gambling games. Anything where you keep a score and put some pressure on yourself.

Thanks! I think it is somewhat of a mystery as to what the various paths are. In many sports, scholarship athletes enter into some kind of selection process or draft, but golf is very different.

Who the f cares why Gary Player wasn't there and why would you? Silly.

And why would you care that I care? Silly.

I don't - was questioning why some total stranger to Arnold Palmer and Gary Player would sit in judgment/criticize about a personal situation he knows nothing about and is none of his business. Again, happy to hear why you would have any reason to be concerned about Player's personal life and how that relates to Palmer's funeral. You are taking shots at Player - provide the context.

Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Billy Casper - Arnie, Jack, Gary - none of them attended those funerals. Mean anything? Nope. Doesn't matter who you are, where you live, funerals are personal, not necessarily convenient, and you don't judge anyone for not attending. Plenty of ways to honor and respect people while they are alive, and different ways to do it when they are gone.

Robert, over the past decade or so I've become a big Phil Mickelson fan. What's your take on his true personality. The public seems to split into two camps - He's awesome & He's a fraud. Can you give your opinion?

Of course there's a bit of a public persona, he is after all a huge brand, but overall he's an awesome guy. You're right for being a fan

Robert, over the past decade or so I've become a big Phil Mickelson fan. What's your take on his true personality. The public seems to split into two camps - He's awesome & He's a fraud. Can you give your opinion?

Really?

Yeah. I'm genuinely curious, and judging by this thread and the one on JT I thought Robert would give an honest answer.