Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

I posted similar in another thread yesterday. I like the black one a lot, but I need a single alignment line. Felt fine to me, even with crappy balls, and I liked the weight and feel of it. But there's something about the head shape that makes me want to align it the right, so I'd need one with a line on it.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105SĀ 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know exactly what grip Jason Day uses on his putter? While the design on the Tour Red is similar to his, after looking at pictures, his grip is a bit different.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PXĀ  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I posted similar in another thread yesterday. I like the black one a lot, but I need a single alignment line. Felt fine to me, even with crappy balls, and I liked the weight and feel of it. But there's something about the head shape that makes me want to align it the right, so I'd need one with a line on it.

isnt there some kind of pin stripe sticker you could apply for a site line?

Does anyone know exactly what grip Jason Day uses on his putter? While the design on the Tour Red is similar to his, after looking at pictures, his grip is a bit different.

Ā 

Pretty sure it's a Winn Ghost Pistol with a red/black color scheme... and a spider on it.

Ā 

isnt there some kind of pin stripe sticker you could apply for a site line?

Ā 

Sure there is... but I don't blame someone for not wanting to put a sticker on top of their brand new $300 putter.

Ā 

It's probably cheaper than having a double-bend model, with a sight line, converted to a slant neck, though.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Ā 

His also looks more like a midsize vs. what is on the red Spider Tours. I'm sure his a custom. Aren't the retail grips the same model that came on the original Ghost Spider? If I could get that grip in a midsize, I think it would be perfect, it does have a nice shape.

So what's the deal with this putter sitting open for so many? Is it lie angle, is it a product of the design or is it being blown out of proportion? I want to order one but hearing people say you need to go through a process setting up to the ball to square it properly vs. naturally is not for me

Ā 

What people are saying is accurate. You need to make sure you square the putter up at address or you will miss puts to the right. I stopped using the putter for that reason, it is an excellent putter though. I also prefer the 80/20 insert over the pure roll insert so that was another reason to switch.

Ā 

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the hosel is almost crooked against the opening line... that might be the biggest factor in the putter sitting open. I can take a picture when I get home... I've seen a few of these and they are all the same so there must be a rhyme or reason. Although, if you look at JD or DJ's actual putter from WITB, their hosel is in a different place and more straight against the opening line. Their hosel is also very slightly moved towards the center of the face.

Ā 

Completely correct. The hosel is not in exactly the same postition as the actual tour putters. The original tour putters were "made" from Spider limiteds. They cut off the stalk that the double bend shaft connected to and welded on a new one. A bit further from the heel and a bit more square than the new ones. The commercial ones are cast and the hosel isnt in the same place.

Ā 

That is only part of the story for them sitting open at address however. The other, more important factor is that the rear of the club, where the weight ports are, is ELEVATED in relation to the bottom of the face, when the club is held at address with the shaft dead vertical to the ground.

Ā 

On a hard surface, rest the bottom of the face flat on the ground with the shaft perpendicular (straight up and down), and the face perpendicular to your target line while holding it lightly in your hands. You should notice that the rear of the club where the weights are, is NOT touching the ground. They are ever so slightly elevated. If you now open your fingers and release your grip pressure the club will rotate open because the rear weight closest to you wants to sit on the ground.

Ā 

I put a small 1/8 thick rubber shim on mine with double sided tape and covered it with a piece of lead tape. Now, when I release it at address, the putter sits on that shim and stays dead square to the target line. In the second picture the shaft is dead vertical.

Ā 

Look at how much lower the rear of the putter is than the bottom of the face. You can just make out my shim in the picture that effectively lowers that area so that it hits first as the putter wants to rotate.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Wouldn't you still want such a large head to be radiused sloping down from the face to the back, so you don't catch the shim on the putting surface? Even though the weight may be too little to actually make the weighting feel nonuniform, it would drive me crazy thinking about it.

Ā 

Again, there are some out there that do sit straight, so it just comes down to sloppy tolerance with these. Odyssey and other brands have had similar issues with a few of their lines/models, but for the price that they are asking for these, it kinda bothers me. I do still think this design is very effective, so hopefully that can get this figured out soon.

lol,, that's a lot of work and kinda funny for a $300 putter... I ead what you guys are saying about hosel placement, etc, but mine sits pretty damn square!!! I've seen ones that sit open. to me it's nothing to do with hosel placement. this is due to tm quality control in production.. if some sit square and some don't how can it be due to hosel placement of weight ports elevated? just return it and find one that sits square... they are out there

Ā 

His also looks more like a midsize vs. what is on the red Spider Tours. I'm sure his a custom. Aren't the retail grips the same model that came on the original Ghost Spider? If I could get that grip in a midsize, I think it would be perfect, it does have a nice shape.

Ā 

Agreed, it feels fantastic in the hands but it's a bit small to my preference. A midsized version would be amazing.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PXĀ  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Wouldn't you still want such a large head to be radiused sloping down from the face to the back, so you don't catch the shim on the putting surface? Even though the weight may be too little to actually make the weighting feel nonuniform, it would drive me crazy thinking about it.

Ā 

Again, there are some out there that do sit straight, so it just comes down to sloppy tolerance with these. Odyssey and other brands have had similar issues with a few of their lines/models, but for the price that they are asking for these, it kinda bothers me. I do still think this design is very effective, so hopefully that can get this figured out soon.

Ā 

Two points. Absolutely ALL of them sit like this unless they have been bent, or they are coming from the factory with an abnormal amount of loft. If you bend the hosel and effectively lower the rear end of the putter, it will sit flat, however, you will add at least two degrees of loft to the putter which is far too much. Believe me....I tried that already. Ball jumped off the face. Couldn't get a clean role.

Ā 

Second. They were designed this way ON PURPOSE , as you mention, so the rear of the club doesn't scrape the ground through impact.

Ā 

The club is MEANT to be addressed with the rear of the putter elevated. The problem is, I like to let mine sit dead flat on the ground just barely cradled in my hands as I align it. This can't be done without significant bending or shims.

Ā 

Anyone who uses a double bend putter shaft probably wouldn't even notice because almost all of them have reverse shaft lean and require your hands to be behind the head at address to square the face. I would guess that anyone saying this putter doesn't roll open has been playing double bend shafts with reverse shaft lean and simply is used to it.

lol,, that's a lot of work and kinda funny for a $300 putter... I ead what you guys are saying about hosel placement, etc, but mine sits pretty damn square!!! I've seen ones that sit open. to me it's nothing to do with hosel placement. this is due to tm quality control in production.. if some sit square and some don't how can it be due to hosel placement of weight ports elevated? just return it and find one that sits square... they are out there

Ā 

Then they have a boat load of loft and aren't to specs. It's the only way for that putter to sit square with the shaft held vertically.

Ā 

I did it to mine. I bent it and it sat dead flat....but it had 6 degrees of loft. Unusable without a forward press. Bent it back. Shimmed and all, I really like it.

Ā 

Ā 

Edit.... and this actually IS my second one. My first one I got in December had a small paint blemish and they sent me a new one. I just got the new one this week.

Ā 

It sits identical to the old one. I preferred the old sole plate as well. I liked the spider graphic. Too bad.

Ā 

Ā 

Agreed, it feels fantastic in the hands but it's a bit small to my preference. A midsized version would be amazing.

Ā 

Easy. Pull it and reinstall with 6 or 7 wraps of tape.

Ā 

Ā 

Two points. Absolutely ALL of them sit like this unless they have been bent, or they are coming from the factory with an abnormal amount of loft. If you bend the hosel and effectively lower the rear end of the putter, it will sit flat, however, you will add at least two degrees of loft to the putter which is far too much. Believe me....I tried that already. Ball jumped off the face. Couldn't get a clean role.

Ā 

Second. They were designed this way ON PURPOSE , as you mention, so the rear of the club doesn't scrape the ground through impact.

Ā 

The club is meant to be addressed with the heel elevated. The problem is, I like to let mine sit dead flat on the ground just barely cradled in my hands as I align it. This can't be done without significant bending or shims.

Ā 

Anyone who uses a double bend putter shaft probably wouldn't even notice because almost all of them have reverse shaft lean and require your hands to be behind the head at address to square the face. I would guess that anyone saying this putter doesn't roll open has been playing double bend shafts with reverse shaft lean and simply is used to it.

I understand they are designed with a radiused bottom, that's why I'm questioning if you wouldn't scrape it with your shim? And also, they do not all come from the factory the same way. As I mentioned earlier, the other day I inspected six of these, all brand new, and they all sat differently. One of them sat square, the rest open to varying degrees. If it's as simple as shaft not being put in correct that it messes up the lie and loft so some of them are square, then it's almost even worse in my opinion, that they all get put out with such poor control of the standard specs on top of them being design to sit open.

Ā 

Also I just want to clarify that I'm not arguing with you here, I'm just sad that that Tailormade are putting these out there like this as I'm interested in this putter for myself.

Ā 

Then they have a boat load of loft and aren't to specs. It's the only way for that putter to sit square with the shaft held vertically.

Ā 

I did it to mine. I bent it and it sat dead flat....but it had 6 degrees of loft. Unusable without a forward press. Bent it back. Shimmed and all, I really like it.

Ā 

Ā 

Edit.... and this actually IS my second one. My first one I got in December had a small paint blemish and they sent me a new one. I just got the new one this week.

Ā 

It sits identical to the old one. I preferred the old sole plate as well. I liked the spider graphic. Too bad.

well I tend to disagree.. I had the limited with the shaft bend, and it sat open!! and because it was face balanced it was not good for me as I have a slight arc.

the dj putter I got this week, sits much more square, I don't have to force the face to sit square against the ball.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The club is meant to be addressed with the heel elevated. The problem is, I like to let mine sit dead flat on the ground just barely cradled in my hands as I align it. This can't be done without significant bending or shims.

Ā 

I understand they are designed with a radiused bottom, that's why I'm questioning if you wouldn't scrape it with your shim? And also, they do not all come from the factory the same way. As I mentioned earlier, the other day I inspected six of these, all brand new, and they all sat differently. One of them sat square, the rest open to varying degrees. If it's as simple as shaft not being put in correct that it messes up the lie and loft so some of them are square, then it's almost even worse in my opinion, that they all get put out with such poor control of the standard specs on top of them being design to sit open.

Ā 

Also I just want to clarify that I'm not arguing with you here, I'm just sad that that Tailormade are putting these out there like this as I'm interested in this putter for myself.

Ā 

I think maybe we aren't on the same page here. I'm not suggesting they are "defective". The putter is simply not designed to sit flat on the ground at address.

Ā 

This putter needs to be set up to the target and aimed with the rear end slightly elevated. And yes, This elevated rear end certainly makes it less likely to scrape the ground on the through stroke.

Ā 

I understand why they did it, and yes, my putter shims do occasionally scrape if I'm a bit too Close to the ground on my stroke, but you adjust and get used to it, and the ball is long gone before it happens anyway. It Doesn't effect the putt.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

well I tend to disagree.. I had the limited with the shaft bend, and it sat open!! and because it was face balanced it was not good for me as I have a slight arc.

the dj putter I got this week, sits much more square, I don't have to force the face to sit square against the ball.

Ā 

Indeed. Most double bend putters do have reverse shaft lean and force you to address the ball with your hands behind it, or use a forward press. If not, the putter will sit open. Totally agree. I've always hated them.

I think maybe we aren't on the same page here. I'm not suggesting they are "defective". The putter is simply not designed to sit flat on the ground at address.

Ā 

This putter needs to be set up to the target and aimed with the rear end slightly elevated. And yes, This elevated rear end certainly makes it less likely to scrape the ground on the through stroke.

Oh ok, that is not at all my experience. I (and a guy that worked in the shop) spent a lot of time time trying to square them up. The only way to get the those particular putters to square up was the opposite from yours, you had to have your hands way behind the ball adding tons of loft. Another member here mentioned he got one like yours, were he needed to forward press to get it to sit square.

Ā 

Would be interesting if someone who has one that sets up square could double check the loft and see if it's at 3.5 or not?

Ā 

Oh ok, that is not at all my experience. I (and a guy that worked in the shop) spent a lot of time time trying to square them up. The only way to get the those particular putters to square up was the opposite from yours, you had to have your hands way behind the ball adding tons of loft. Another member here mentioned he got one like yours, were he needed to forward press to get it to sit square.

Ā 

Would be interesting if someone who has one that sets up square could double check the loft and see if it's at 3.5 or not?

Ā 

The loft on mine is exactly 3.5 and sits just a tiny bit open.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Oh brother. We are just not on the same page but we are actually saying the same thing.

Ā 

If you want the putter to sit dead flat on the ground and be square to the target, you must have your hands way behind the ball at address. Yes. True.

Ā 

What I'm saying is that to get the club square to the target line AND NOT have your hands behind the ball, you must square it up with the rear end elevated......you're description is to call the action needed a forward press. We are saying the same thing.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The club is MEANT to be addressed with the rear of the putter elevated. The problem is, I like to let mine sit dead flat on the ground just barely cradled in my hands as I align it. This can't be done without significant bending or shims.

Ā 

my son just received his tour red, sits dead square!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

my son just received his tour red, sits dead square!

Ā 

Ok. Good. It's not physically possible, but if you think it does that's great. They use the same casts,. They just paint them different colors.

Ā 

I will say it one last time and then give up. They all are made the same way and unless they are seriously out of spec OR you normally address the ball with your hands behind the head with reverse shaft lean,...they will all naturally sit open when the club is dead flat on a hard surface.

Ā 

We've had this same discussion since they came out in December and I threw in the towel for a while and I will again. Just not that important. I can't explain it any other way than I have.

Ā 

Peace out..

Lol, thanks for the drawings though. I understand what you are saying. I have a Seemore putter that I have to address the same way. I've gotten into a Stricker like bounce before I pull the takeaway which is fine, but still annoying to not be able to rest it flat while aiming.

Ā 

Nonetheless, I have a hard time believing they are made like this on purpose. Since I have personally held six of them that were all different, that tells me they are not looking over these particularly well before shipping them out, so it's not too far fetched to believe they simply didn't spend enough time looking over the soles or the neck positions or whatever on these before releasing them.

Ā 

I'm still hoping to find a good one that sets up square with correct shaft lean and loft. I know you think it's not physically possible, but I'm still pshycoligically optimistic.

To add to the discussion here.

Ā 

Background: I've had an original "old" plate DJ spider and now have held at least 8 different spider tours.

Ā 

The majority of them, when the face is square and left to sit on the ground naturally, points the shaft away from the ball significantly.

Ā 

When the shaft is moved to be even with the face, the sole tends to fan the club open. (both old and "new" plate models looked this way)

Ā 

I agree with those who say that it is by design so it does not catch.

Ā 

However, I grabbed a red spider. and when left alone, it sat almost perfectly square with the handle relatively vertical. (the back is much closer to the ground but still not totally resting on the back)

Ā 

Now I'm not saying all reds sit square and the blacks don't, but what I can say is that there are some out there that not only rest naturally relatively square, but also have the handle vertical when doing so. I noticed that the necks on some of the black ones are angled slightly off, hard to describe, but if you look at the line where it meets the head, it looks like it is pointing off to the right instead of down the line.

Ā 

My club maker and I spent some time examining the various putters and trying to understand the difference. The biggest weird thing we saw was the angles of the neck itself. For the most part, the necks on the black ones were flatter than the red. Now is that the culprit? I don't know, but I do know the majority do sit way open, and there are some that do not. (For reference, most of the platinum ones sat pretty square naturally).

Ā 

Red is my least favorite color, but the Day spider we had in hand setup so perfectly I had no choice.

Ā 

Here is a pic of it sitting without manipulation, pretty close to square and getting comfortably square once I grip it without the need to manipulate it, I didn't take pics of the black ones I had in a similar setup, but it definitely sat way more open.

Ā 

For those looking, I would also pay attention to lie angle, a slant neck plus 70 degree lie angle makes it look very flat at address, but if you look at the camber and the face, you will see it likes to sit even flatter than the eye thinks is normal.

Ā 

I was one of the guys who had multiple spider tours all sit uncomfortably open, but finally found one that looks perfect to my eye. The red is much darker once the clear wrap is removed, and I'm starting to be able to live with the color, but this one sets up so well, I can easily overlook those things.

Ā 

(Anyone with a black spider cover looking to trade for a red one, let me know.)

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

To add to the discussion here.

Ā 

Background: I've had an original "old" plate DJ spider and now have held at least 8 different spider tours.

Ā 

The majority of them, when the face is square and left to sit on the ground naturally, points the shaft away from the ball significantly.

Ā 

When the shaft is moved to be even with the face, the sole tends to fan the club open. (both old and "new" plate models looked this way)

Ā 

I agree with those who say that it is by design so it does not catch.

Ā 

However, I grabbed a red spider. and when left alone, it sat almost perfectly square with the handle relatively vertical. (the back is much closer to the ground but still not totally resting on the back)

Ā 

Now I'm not saying all reds sit square and the blacks don't, but what I can say is that there are some out there that not only rest naturally relatively square, but also have the handle vertical when doing so. I noticed that the necks on some of the black ones are angled slightly off, hard to describe, but if you look at the line where it meets the head, it looks like it is pointing off to the right instead of down the line.

Ā 

My club maker and I spent some time examining the various putters and trying to understand the difference. The biggest weird thing we saw was the angles of the neck itself. For the most part, the necks on the black ones were flatter than the red. Now is that the culprit? I don't know, but I do know the majority do sit way open, and there are some that do not. (For reference, most of the platinum ones sat pretty square naturally).

Ā 

Red is my least favorite color, but the Day spider we had in hand setup so perfectly I had no choice.

Ā 

Here is a pic of it sitting without manipulation, pretty close to square and getting comfortably square once I grip it without the need to manipulate it, I didn't take pics of the black ones I had in a similar setup, but it definitely sat way more open.

Ā 

For those looking, I would also pay attention to lie angle, a slant neck plus 70 degree lie angle makes it look very flat at address, but if you look at the camber and the face, you will see it likes to sit even flatter than the eye thinks is normal.

Ā 

I was one of the guys who had multiple spider tours all sit uncomfortably open, but finally found one that looks perfect to my eye. The red is much darker once the clear wrap is removed, and I'm starting to be able to live with the color, but this one sets up so well, I can easily overlook those things.

Ā 

(Anyone with a black spider cover looking to trade for a red one, let me know.)

Don't know if your intent was to show it being square but the way the putter is sitting looks slightly open to me.

I have one on order, but I am used to putters sitting a tad open as I use a center shafted spider now and it definitely sits a bit open. At this point I don't even notice but if you set the putter down and take your hands off it, it immediately slides open. I still putt better with this putter than any others and I've tried more than a few different types.

Don't know if your intent was to show it being square but the way the putter is sitting looks slightly open to me.

Ā 

Yeah I mentioned that it sits almost square, which when compared to the others that sat way open, is just a touch open but once gripped and addressed comfortably close.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

Not to break up the open square debate but is everyone sticking to the original grips or mixing it up. If you changed the grip what grip/s did you go with?

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7Ā 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69*Ā 

to add again to the debate..

my club just got 2 of these in stock,, with the new sole plates. one red, one black.

the red sits square, and the black sits open!!! so what does this tell you.. nothing to do with the hosel or weights being elevated,, just luck of the draw due to TM qc crap!!

as i said my dj i just got sits pretty square.