2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

VOTE: What's the Best Driver of 2017?

Member’s Choice: Golf’s Best Drivers of 2017

Attention GolfWRX Forum Members! We need you, the experts of golf equipment, to help us by answering this question, “What is the best driver of 2017?” Please vote based on your experience testing this year’s new drivers.

In the poll below, please select the three drivers you believe are the best-performing models of 2017.

Once you’ve voted in the poll, please let us know why you chose the drivers you did in the thread below. Things to consider include distance, forgiveness, looks and feel. We want to hear about launch angle, spin rate, stability of off-center hits, sound, face angle, adjustability… everything. And don’t forget to tell us about the differences you saw in your fitting between your old gamer and your new gamer.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping G, F7+, M2. I've tested nearly all the drivers on this list and I can confidently say that there's really not much of any difference in distance between them. Ping G is the most forgiving so it wins. F7+ and M2 feel/sound the best and are forgiving so I voted for them too. Not a big fan of the Epics.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Whoever voted for vertical groove needs to get properly fitted

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

is this not a bit daft? Unless you have tested all of the above drivers how can you make an informed choice?

Surely this should be a poll of the most popular driver rather than the best. WRX will be giving out gold, silver and bronze medals next.

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

I voted Epic Sub Zero, Epic, TM M1 460

I tested the Epic Sub Zero and Epic against my 2016 TM M1 and the ball speed was 5 mph higher on avg, which gave me about 10 yards carry which was great but the part that sold me was the forgiveness. I love my epic sub zero. I feel like its easier to turn over and can work it both ways.

2017 TM M1 is a great driver but I tend to miss TM wide right and struggled to turn it over.

I voted

Epic SZ

Epic

917D2

SZ was hands down the best, including my gaming M1 (yeah not even top 3...) due to the combination of lower spin, good forgiveness and feel and looks. Epic was just higher spinning for me, although I may go back and open the face up/lower loft and see what that does for me. 917 was a close 3rd on everything, although I feel like it wasn't as forgiving as Epic, the sound and feel were close to Epic IMO.

However, I am fine tuning my M1 and it is coming along. It came to me with a head weight that was way to low, so I've now added 9g of lead tape and moved the weight around some. At 44.5'' though, I may need to add another 3g or so. It's approaching the distances of SZ when it is struck well, but I seem to have trouble striking it well, as often as I could with SZ. Most likely shaft related though.

is this not a bit daft? Unless you have tested all of the above drivers how can you make an informed choice?

Surely this should be a poll of the most popular driver rather than the best. WRX will be giving out gold, silver and bronze medals next.

Yep. Fun little poll but really doesn't mean anything. Better off doing what Wrx has done in the past and giving this poll to professional club fitters.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I had a 16 M2 and went with epic sub zero. The look at address suited my eye and the feel off the face was better for me. And the club went straight My M2 seemed larger at address and felt less but with upgrade shaft vs stock callaway shaft M2 was 3 yards longer but kept the shaft and put a callaway adaptor on it and I couldn't really tell if it made up the 3yards. But confidence is a major thing off the box So1st epic sub zero 2 M2 and 3 regular epic (spun to much for me)

I voted M1 460, M1 440 and G LS Tec

Had a fitting yesterday and hit all the heads that I could take and I'm happy to stick with my 2015 M1 460

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
Titleist T150 4 Iron Fujikura Axiom 105

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

I Voted Callaway Epic SBZ, Taylormade M1 460, Ping G LS Tec

I have hit the majority of the drivers on the list and when it came down to it these three gave me pretty much the same results. Currently gaming the Ping G LS Tec, but am thinking of switching to the Callaway Epic SBZ cause i like the sound and the top look better then the Ping.

EPIC is EPIC

:nyam: ....the driver that changed the driver.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Member’s Choice: Golf’s Best Drivers of 2017

Attention GolfWRX Forum Members! We need you, the experts of golf equipment, to help us by answering this question, “What is the best driver of 2017?” Please vote based on your experience testing this year’s new drivers.

In the poll below, please select the three drivers you believe are the best-performing models of 2017. Note: If you select less than 3 options, your selections will not count.

Once you’ve voted in the poll, please let us know why you chose the drivers you did the thread below. Things to consider include distance, forgiveness, looks and feel. We want to hear about launch angle, spin rate, stability of off-center hits, sound, face angle, adjustability… everything. And don’t forget to tell us about the differences you saw in your fitting between your old gamer and your new gamer.

My vote: #1 Cobra King F7...#2 Callaway Big Bertha Fusion...#3 Callaway GBB Epic

I work for a major golf retailer, 65, hdcp 12, swing speed 87. Currently have a 44.5" Fusion w/UST Recoil F3 in the bag. Comparing drivers with the launch monitor, I am getting 12 yards more total distance with the Cobra King F7 over the Fusion & Epic. Dispersion between F7 and Fusion very close, but spin slightly lower with F7. Ball feel at launch with F7 very soft and smooth, using Fujikura Pro 60 R-flex shaft. Both Fusion & Epic hit with 44.5" UST Recoil F3, and results very close. From customer testing it appears the Epic is longer for those with higher (95+) speeds. I have also seen that 44.25"-44.5" lengths promote tighter dispersion with customers, no loss of distance, and better over-all drives.

Ping G425MAX 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus Red TR

Ping G425MAX 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 5-AW w/Ping Alta CB

Ping Glide 4.0 56°-58° w/Recoil ES SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58 Midsize

All Swing Grips: Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Midsize

I voted Titleist D2, Epic Sub Zero and TM M2. I've hit all three plus a few others. Not much difference in overall distance between them and I do like the Titleist the most. Just something about how it feels to me and the flight I get the it. Fitting is key to any driver as I think the shaft has to fit the player more than the head does. I've demo'd the TM M2 twice & really like it too, but I broke the 2nd demo I half way through my round. The seam between the face and the crown cracked after hitting a drive too high on the face.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Current Bag:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist TS3 9.5 (Project X, EvenFlow White, 65 - S)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist TS3 15 deg. (Project X, EvenFlow White, 75 - S)[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Mizuno MP18 MB 7i, 8i, 9i & PW (KBS C-TAPER-S)[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno MP18- SC 4i,5i & 6i [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2](KBS C-TAPER-S)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno MP18-Fli Hi 3i [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2](KBS C-TAPER-S)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno S5 52 (Dynamic Gold Wedge)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno T7 56 & 60 (Dynamic Gold Wedge)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback[/size][/font][/color]

wait i still like my flex 440... #ripnikegolf

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

I had a fitting earlier this week on Trackman and tried a bunch of drivers including the Callaway GBB Epic, M1, M2, Cobra LTD, Ping G LS tec and PXG. It came down to the Epic, Ping G and PXG. PXG gave me the best numbers especially distance and consistency. Looking forward to getting it next week and seeing how it performs versus my current Cobra F6+.

[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: PXG 0811 10.5*, HZRDUS red 65 5.5[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fairway wood: PXG 0341 15*, [/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HZRDUS red 65 5.5[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: PXG 0317 19*, KBS Tour Hybrid 85g R+[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: Titleist 716-AP2, Project X LZ 5.5[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]Wedges: Titleist SM6 Jet Black 52* / 58*, [/color][/font][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Project X LZ 5[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO 5r[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Vice Pro Neon[/font][/color][/size]

I voted for 917 D2. recently upgraded from my old 915 D2 Titleist and it is night and day better. Better sound/feel, less spin and am getting more yardage.

I also want to say my upgraded 917F2 3wood is the star of my bag. it is hands down the best 3 wood I have owned in a long time. Solid, accurate and great distance.

Titleist really improved with these clubs !!!!

I voted for 917 D2. recently upgraded from my old 915 D2 Titleist and it is night and day better. Better sound/feel, less spin and am getting more yardage.

I also want to say my upgraded 917F2 3wood is the star of my bag. it is hands down the best 3 wood I have owned in a long time. Solid, accurate and great distance.

Titleist really improved with these clubs !!!!

[size=1][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist [/b] - 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 917d - Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 915h 2 hybrid - Diamana Blue
[b]Titleist[/b] - TM UDI 4 iron with GD S flex (black) [/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - [/color][/font][/b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]714 AP2 5-9 KBS 110 tour V[/color][/font]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - SM5/SM6 [/color][/font][/b][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] 46/52/56 KBS 110 tour[/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] - PM Mack Daddy 60 KBS
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] - Platinum[/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - Pro V1 or Kirkland Baby[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Foot Joy/Nike [/b] DNA or Lunar 3 [/font][/color][/size]
[size=2]Nike or FJ Apparel
Patrick Gibbons Belts[/size]

Let alone 2017 golf hasn't started for a majority of golfers -- and "tested" means...you gave it a whack in the shop? Spent an hour getting fitted? Watched a lot of YouTube? I have an based on this: Epic SZ is best.... and what does "best" mean? At least we know that it is an "opinion" poll.

I voted for the Epic SZ, King F7+, and the TM M2 (but I'm thinking the 2016 M2...it's still hard to beat).

The SZ has my favorite shape. Just about perfect.

I play the 2016 M2.

The F7+ performs as good as anything I've hit.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]