Tiger Woods: "No Timetable for my Return to Golf..."

tigers9iron

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Tiger literally stops swinging golf clubs and solely focuses on rehab, he's probably done doing any type of tournament winning. To truly and fully recover (which may not even be possible at this point) from as much nerve and spine damage as he had, it could require extraordinary effort which may require him to stop doing all the things that caused him injury in the first place.

He's obviously made his return too soon, or at least is playing and practicing too much for what his body can handle still. It could be ego, or it could be he must play or lose out on contractual money, although the dude has so much, I don't know why he's willing to ruin his body and his name for a few million.

Unless Tiger literally stops swinging golf clubs and solely focuses on rehab, he's probably done doing any type of tournament winning. To truly and fully recover (which may not even be possible at this point) from as much nerve and spine damage as he had, it could require extraordinary effort which may require him to stop doing all the things that caused him injury in the first place.

He's obviously made his return too soon, or at least is playing and practicing too much for what his body can handle still. It could be ego, or it could be he must play or lose out on contractual money, although the dude has so much, I don't know why he's willing to ruin his body and his name for a few million.

sorry, but unless you are one of TW's doctors or physio's this is all complete speculation

sorry, but unless you are one of TW's doctors or physio's this is all complete speculation

Yes, but I agree with it.

Hes had several "last chances" but the next would be it, I would think.

Shouldnt go out there unless he feels great.

Oh well if you agree then forgive me, that's all I needed to hear!

He waited 15 months... how much longer did he need to wait to feel 'great'?

Nobody outside of Tiger's inner circle knows a damn thing about the state of his health or game, and they are determined to keep it that way.

pretty much everything here is complete speculation

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Oh well if you agree then forgive me, that's all I needed to hear!

He waited 15 months... how much longer did he need to wait to feel 'great'?

Nobody outside of Tiger's inner circle knows a damn thing about the state of his health or game, and they are determined to keep it that way.

I don't know the details of the state of his health, but I can make some reasonable guesses.

I do know the state of his game. I watched Dubai and I watched the Farmers and the Hero.

I didn't watch him much in 2016.

I watched most of his 2015 season.

I do know the state of his game, and it was poor in 2015, MIA in 2016 and... it hasn't been pretty in 2017.

In terms of another comeback, I just can't see it.

He's getting older, which is never good, and he didn't rush back this time. He can't just take another year or 18 months off and hope to come back better than ever.

Sadly, it may have been the long flights to Dubai and back that did it. That seemed like such a bad idea at the time. If he did it for the $$ he's crazy, he has more than enough to get by. If his new sponsors made him go, then they're nuts. Something to do with geese and golden eggs, IMO.

Everyone kept talking about most birdies in the tournament when his birdie average in 2015 through chipping yips, 80s and everything else was 3.81, which would have been tied 44th on Tour if he qualified to count. In 2007, when he shot a 67 average per round, he was only getting slightly more birdies at 4.03.

So birdies weren't the problem and they're no good if you can't avoid bogeys, Tiger was top of the bogey avoidance stat in 2007, can't find a stat for him in 2015 but when your average score goes up by over four strokes per round, fair to say there are a lot more bogeys on the card.

I pulled his round history from 2014 onwards off the OWGR website earlier on ... not particularly pretty reading unfortunately ... relative to his own superlative standards anyway :)

He's averaged 72.1 from 68 rounds in 23 tournaments in that time period. To extrapolate upwards, this would equate to 17 shots worse (vs his 67.9 average of 2007) at the end of 4 rounds of a tournament.

Almost 50% of his events since 2014 have been a missed cut or withdrawal .... 11 out of 23 ...

Personally I hope he makes it back to being competitive, and if he could win an event at some point then that would be a great story ... good luck Tiger !

His problem is, in this case, is that he was TOO GOOD.

In 2000, he played to a +10 hdcp ALL YEAR. +10!!! maybe once a yr, someone will win an event playing at that high of a level. But he played the entire year at that level.

Look, as some have noticed, personally, I don't like him. But I admire how good he was, and I get what it did for the game, esp for Tour pros. (Although I'm still waiting for my greens fees to go down because Tiger was going to make the game for everyone and that would drive the prices down, but that's another topic.)

pretty much everything here is complete speculation

When it comes to TW, I totally agree

The time table is this. Thursday morning, early April 2036. Just after sunrise. Augusta National Golf Club. "And for the first time as our honorary starters, Phil Mickleson and Tiger Woods!!!

More like 1st tee Augusta 2036 and Tiger is making yet another comeback. His 25th comeback but this time he is feeling good and is finally pain free. Snaps hooks it and triple bogeys the 1st hole and WD's. His glutes didnt fire and he has toe nail spasms. Normally these resolve in 2 mins but he will need the next 5 years off to recover and he hasn't put a timetable on his return but hopes to be back sometime in the after life.

People wonder why I pick on Tiger so much. It's threads like this. Everyone clinging to memories of great golf played... Wait for it....9 years ago.

It's been over for a long time.

People watching Tiger in his prime witnessed the best golf ever played in the history of the game; is it so difficult to understand why people cling on to the hope of seeing it again? Love or hate the guy, it was special to anyone who understands golf.

I get it. But that was such a long time ago. His greatest year was SEVENTEEN years ago. Think about that.

And I've been wondering for a few years now; he came onto the Tour at a really good time to be dominant. Faldo and Norman were getting older, outside of Phil and Els, the game was starving for young super stars. Thr Tour was littered with guys who were solid but not great golfers. The Davis Love's, the Mark O'Omera's and Cory Pavin's. Tiger could have been 75% as good and still dominated those guys.

Leads me to wonder, how dominant would he be if he were coming onto the scene now? There are more great young players now than possibly ever before.

Not saying he wouldn't be as good. But I wonder if he had some young studs to compete with in his hey day, what the records would look like. Sergio was supposed to be that guy, never materialized. Phil was just too erratic to ever really challenge him consistently. Duval was literally a flash in the pan.

Roger Maltbie should be retiring soon. Tiger might be a good replacement.

Tiger wouldnt be able to carry all the equipment around they strap on you. His back would give out day 1.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

People wonder why I pick on Tiger so much. It's threads like this. Everyone clinging to memories of great golf played... Wait for it....9 years ago.

People watching Tiger in his prime witnessed the best golf ever played in the history of the game; is it so difficult to understand why people cling on to the hope of seeing it again? Love or hate the guy, it was special to anyone who understands golf.

I get it. But that was such a long time ago. His greatest year was SEVENTEEN years ago. Think about that.

And I've been wondering for a few years now; he came onto the Tour at a really good time to be dominant. Faldo and Norman were getting older, outside of Phil and Els, the game was starving for young super stars. Thr Tour was littered with guys who were solid but not great golfers. The Davis Love's, the Mark O'Omera's and Cory Pavin's. Tiger could have been 75% as good and still dominated those guys.

Leads me to wonder, how dominant would he be if he were coming onto the scene now? There are more great young players now than possibly ever before.

Not saying he wouldn't be as good. But I wonder if he had some young studs to compete with in his hey day, what the records would look like. Sergio was supposed to be that guy, never materialized. Phil was just too erratic to ever really challenge him consistently. Duval was literally a flash in the pan.

OWGR 2007

Sergio Garcia #11

OWGR 2017

Sergio Garcia #10

Also, he won 5 times in 2013.

So, yeah, if he came out now. He's still beat the crap of everbody. Hed be like DJ or Rory but with Spieths putting and better greenside game than all of them.

OWGR 2007

Sergio Garcia #11

OWGR 2017

Sergio Garcia #10

Never materialized in challenging Tiger is what I meant. Fantastic player however

I love Tiger as a player, but sad when the satirical news of 2014 is basically the real news re: Tiger in 2017. :(

From The Onion in 2014:

LOUISVILLE, KY—Aiming to fine-tune his mechanics after returning from a recent back surgery, golf star Tiger Woods told reporters at the PGA Championship Wednesday that he is currently working on building a new swing that doesn’t send waves of intense pain through every single inch of his body. “I’ve been making some adjustments in my posture and rhythm—a lot of minor things, really—so I can have a consistent drive without feeling excruciating, white-hot pain in my back, arms, legs, and neck,” said Woods, adding that he has been working with coach Sean Foley to develop a follow-through that doesn’t cause his eyes to water from an agonizing throbbing sensation that radiates across his entire body. “Right now, I’m just experimenting with a slightly tweaked motion to see where I can strike a good balance between a powerful stroke and a level of pain I can actually tolerate without blacking out. But it’s a process, so I’ll have to be patient while working out all the kinks.” Woods later confirmed that he is also looking to make a slight adjustment to his grip that will allow him to hold his driver without immediately doubling over and vomiting.

OWGR 2007

Sergio Garcia #11

OWGR 2017

Sergio Garcia #10

Never materialized in challenging Tiger is what I meant. Fantastic player however

Neither did Phil......

Just so you understand, Woods was so good that he made the fields look weak. Tiger made everyone else look bad. That is just the way it was. To most, second place was as good as winning if Woods was in the field. He was that good..

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

TW wore out his body with all those unnecessary workouts. And now he is paying the price and the body is not healing properly. Makes my wonder if the PED use for helping the body heal quicker and faster are finally catching up to him.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

I love Tiger as a player, but sad when the satirical news of 2014 is basically the real news re: Tiger in 2017. :(

From The Onion in 2014:

LOUISVILLE, KY—Aiming to fine-tune his mechanics after returning from a recent back surgery, golf star Tiger Woods told reporters at the PGA Championship Wednesday that he is currently working on building a new swing that doesn’t send waves of intense pain through every single inch of his body. “I’ve been making some adjustments in my posture and rhythm—a lot of minor things, really—so I can have a consistent drive without feeling excruciating, white-hot pain in my back, arms, legs, and neck,” said Woods, adding that he has been working with coach Sean Foley to develop a follow-through that doesn’t cause his eyes to water from an agonizing throbbing sensation that radiates across his entire body. “Right now, I’m just experimenting with a slightly tweaked motion to see where I can strike a good balance between a powerful stroke and a level of pain I can actually tolerate without blacking out. But it’s a process, so I’ll have to be patient while working out all the kinks.” Woods later confirmed that he is also looking to make a slight adjustment to his grip that will allow him to hold his driver without immediately doubling over and vomiting.

This is such an absurdly underrated post.

He should just retire from his job and play golf like the rest of us. It's a win-win.

No $hit.

Enjoy!

Be just like us but he gets to play the Masters whenever he wants ; )

Thats what he should do. Chill, cut some deals in asia, build some stuff, date some broads.

Dont say nothin bout golf.

Then, out of *nowhere* just show up next year at Augusta.

Ratings bonanza.

nbg and bsc posting within the same hour? Which one of you is actually on shift at this time of day and which one of you is putting in a little TW OT?

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

nbg and bsc posting within the same hour? Which one of you is actually on shift at this time of day and which one of you is putting in a little TW OT?

Rofl!

Just doing shots of Robitusin and waiting for the veal cutlets and rabe, yo ; )

cheers!

And i pictured you as a soy cutlet kind of guy

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Getting tiresome. Just show up for things like champions dinners, be asst captain at president and Ryder cups and call that it. If TaylorMade is paying him anything but an appearance and results based salary, they deserve to go out of business. I can imagine after the first appearance using TaylorMade woods that anyone cueing up to buy them probably departed stage left.

At this point Gary Player could probably beat him at the Masters.. (could set it up like Billie Jean v Bobbie Riggs or Mayweather v Conor)

It does appear that golf is starting to wind down just like it did in 1997. But instead of a collection of after Jack, Arnie, mediocre golfers, we now have a very large group of very talented golfers. Unfortunately they are as boring as the 1997 group was. Not coincidentally that was Tigers arrival and this is as Tiger departs.. About the only thing of any slight interest on the Golf Channel is Mr. "I'm so funny, I love myself" Feherty. Maybe he can go back to imbibing as he is funnier then. I love his outfits and personal hygiene look. Sort of like he woke up in a gutter after a weekend bender in Vegas

Rofl!

Just doing shots of Robitusin and waiting for the veal cutlets and rabe, yo ; )

Yeah, me too!

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Getting tiresome. Just show up for things like champions dinners, be asst captain at president and Ryder cups and call that it. If TaylorMade is paying him anything but an appearance and results based salary, they deserve to go out of business. I can imagine after the first appearance using TaylorMade woods that anyone cueing up to buy them probably departed stage left.

At this point Gary Player could probably beat him at the Masters.. (could set it up like Billie Jean v Bobbie Riggs or Mayweather v Conor)

It does appear that golf is starting to wind down just like it did in 1997. But instead of a collection of after Jack, Arnie, mediocre golfers, we now have a very large group of very talented golfers. Unfortunately they are as boring as the 1997 group was. Not coincidentally that was Tigers arrival and this is as Tiger departs.. About the only thing of any slight interest on the Golf Channel is Mr. "I'm so funny, I love myself" Feherty. Maybe he can go back to imbibing as he is funnier then. I love his outfits and personal hygiene look. Sort of like he woke up in a gutter after a weekend bender in Vegas

Jack and Arnie had recently departed in 97? Did we just skip right over Norman Langer and company? When Tiger hit the tour common perception was that no one could dominate. There were too many top players. Woods beat them down and often demoralized them. So now we are back to the same situation with seemingly too many good players for anyone to dominate. Someone, likely not even a teenager yet, will arrive on tour and dominate. Similar to a James or Curry. They are a ton of great basketball players but there are always a couple that are head and shoulders better.

By most accounts Tiger played the best golf ever. Jack has the majors and Tiger has a slew of other records.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

With his last win in 2013 is Tiger in danger of keeping his tour card? If not when would that be an issue (aside from Masters life exemption and sponsors exemptions)?

At 20 wins, a player earns a lifetime exemption.

Yes, invitationals and majors are different but I don't think tiger has to worry about getting into most events.