If you have hit a hole in one - what was the shot like

Bbo569

It was late March in Minnesota, one of my first rounds of the year. A storm was coming in, was playing with my high school teammate, wind was around 25 mph dead into it. Hole was 172. My teammate who hit it very long hit 5 iron and was short of the green. I went with 4 iron and hit a hard punch shot, the dirt flew straight into my eyes I had to look away, my teammate says, "OMG I think that might've gone in" And sure enough... there it was. We had to rush the final two holes before the storm. Amazing that my first and only hole in one came on such a difficult shot!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was playing in a Labor Day Invitational at the local club with my good friends father. There were seven flights, so 112 players 8 am shotgun start. Our first hole was eighteen which we lose to a birdie. Lose 1, 2 and 3. Four down in a nine hole match. The fourth hole is at the confluence of three holes with two greens and two tees all right there. The hole is 115 yard downhiller surrounded by pines that borders the edge of the course with a Cumberland Farm and McDonalds across a bridge and within a quarter mile. So, it's 9:30 and there is a HUUUGE back up, as we wait for two groups to play the fourth. Guys are drinking from a keg, running across the road getting Mickey Ds, drinking Busch 30 packs. There are probably 40 guys around the green. All three guys in my group hit the green with varying success (all within 20 feet). Any time someone in the group hits a shot that backs up the "gallery" cheers and if you happen to miss the green you get booed! It's quite a scene. My little sand wedge takes one hop, sucks back into the hole. The place goes nuts!! Cups, pinecones, Egg McMuffins, empty Keystone cans are flying all over. I look at my partner and I will never forget... he says "Great, now we are only 3 down."

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

#1, a 225 yd. 2-iron, straight and ran about 15 feet. Tommy Armour forged iron, Maxfli HT balata ball. 1986.

#2, a 161 yd. 6-iron, straight and ran about 10 feet, 1996 Callaway Big Bertha cast iron, Titleist NXT tour ball. 2007

#3, a 120 yd 9-iron, straight, rolled about three feet, Mizuno JPX-800 Tour, Srixon ZStar ball, 2012

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Driver on 372 dogleg left par-4. Cut the corner, hit about 15 feet short of pin, never saw it go in, just thought it was close to green. After a couple of minutes of me and my playing partners searching, I had a 'well I might as well look in the hole' moment. Looked in, there was my Taylormade that I found on #2 that day.

165 yards, into the wind, water to the right of the green, pin tucked right... hit an 8 iron that one hop slam dunked

It was surreal. It was much more jarring than any of the hole outs I've made from the fairway because that was my first slam dunk. The only other similar situation is when I hit about a 20 yard bunker shot that landed just past the flag and spun so hard that it hit the flagstick with a loud thud and dropped in. All of the other ones that roll in are nice surprises, but the forceful ones are the most exciting

2 stories.

Hole in one-local par 3 course. Second hole is a 110yarder. Hit a gap wedge. The green is sloped away from you enough that you can't see the bottom of the pin. The ball landed on the front and took a hop toward the hole. The guy I'm playing with said "I think that went in". I did not believe him until a guy who was on the 1st tee (near the 2nd green) started jumping up and down and ran over. My dad actually went to a local trophy shop and got me a hole in one trophy....sadly 2 months later he died from colon cancer. That trophy is the last thing he ever gave me.

Double eagle-sorry to include this in here as a little brag. Downhill par 5. The green sits out into a lake and has water on 2 sides (right and back). I had 219yds for my 2nd shot and was hitting into the setting sun. I hit a 2 hybrid (17*) and when I looked up, I was temporarily blinded by the sun. I was playing by myself, so I put my bag on my shoulder and started walking toward the green, I knew I hit it well. As I approached the green, I didn't see a ball on the green or anywhere surrounding the green. So I walked to the back of the green to see if it went in the water over....no ball that I could see. So I start across the green to see if it caught the right hand water and as I walk past the hole, I look in. There it is. Double Eagle. I called my buddy who was working in the proshop and told him. By the time I finished, he had an announcement posted on the front counter and a sign on my windshield of my car.

Mine happened September of 2016, 146 Yard par 3, Sixth hole. Had just doubled the last hole so was in a great mood, stepped up with a PW, hit it well saw the ball land it was right on line but didn't see it roll out as there was a mound in front of the green. I didn't see the ball go in, but heard yelling from the group on the tee box, walked up and sure enough it was in the bottom of the cup.

September 2, 2010. 168 yard par 3. I was paired up with two brothers about 15 years older than I (I was 28 at the time)... Had all intentions of playing alone that day (thank god I did not and had witnesses). Like the above post, I just double bogeyed the previous hole. All I wanted to do was put a nice swing on the ball.. hit a baby fade (never do that) and it lands on the green, but the green sloped down and away from my view. One of the guys said "that ball disappeared". Laughing back to the cart I was just happy to be around the green... We pull up and my ball is nowhere to be found. They ran out and looked in the cup... Lo and behold, hole in one.

The ONLY thing that sucks about it is that I was robbed of the pure joy of watching the ball go in the cup.

PING G25

PING G25 4W

TaylorMade Burner 3H

PING i200 4 - U

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54°, 58°

Mizuno MCraft II

One and only. Around 1997. Legacy Golf Course in Las Vegas, number 15, 147 yrd 7 iron. There's a rise before the green so you cant see the cup when its up front, but you could see the flag. Shot looked great in the air. Normally we would see the ball after it released but it never came into view.

Kinda knew it was in when we drove up, but it was exciting to find it in the cup.

What's your name? Did they create one of those little placards for you? I'll have to check next time I play Legacy.

One and only. Around 1997. Legacy Golf Course in Las Vegas, number 15, 147 yrd 7 iron. There's a rise before the green so you cant see the cup when its up front, but you could see the flag. Shot looked great in the air. Normally we would see the ball after it released but it never came into view.

Kinda knew it was in when we drove up, but it was exciting to find it in the cup.

What's your name? Did they create one of those little placards for you? I'll have to check next time I play Legacy.

At the time I didn't even think about asking. Of course later I figured I would just ask after the next one, been waiting twenty years ,,,,,,

Sounds like you know the course. I came close at Angel Park. Forget which course, but it was like a 130 yrd par 3. One inch away.

Edit...I do have the card and the ball though...

First one was at ahwatukee cc, hole #4. 185 yard par 3 over water, a little downwind, front pin. I flushed an 8 iron, looked good taking off, heard it hit the stick and no one saw it, just assumed it hit theaticmand shot out into the lake. Nope, dunked it in the fly. Cool thing was that the course had a promotion from gentleman jack, and for my prize I got a bottle(full) that had the date, yardage, hole, and club used. Pretty awesome prize.

2nd one was up in show low at silver creek, hit my 52, spun off the slope and rolled in. We played 36 that day and I damn near aced it again the 2nd go round.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

At the time I didn't even think about asking. Of course later I figured I would just ask after the next one, been waiting twenty years ,,,,,,

Sounds like you know the course. I came close at Angel Park. Forget which course, but it was like a 130 yrd par 3. One inch away.

Edit...I do have the card and the ball though...

Haha, damn! It might have been Mountain hole # 4 I think. Kind of down hill next to the freeway with a huge ridge in the middle of the green?

1. 165 yards into a gail (sp) force wind. I was fairly intoxicated. Hit a 6 iron which I normally hit 185. Hit a punch draw, landed two feet long and right of the hole, spun back and in. One of those few shots you hit exactly how you want. On top of that it was at a bachelor party - and the rest is history.

2. 100 yard par 3 in really wet conditions. Hit a wedge 20 feet long and spun all the way back and in. The guy on the next tee box saw it all happen as I was by myself. He was more excited than I was.

3. 280 yard par 4. High straight driver landed 10 feet in front of the hole and doink.

All three of mine were exactly how I wanted to hit them, but I would have absolutely no objection to skanking a 5 or 6 iron out there and getting lucky.

First one was about 30 years ago. It was a 155 yard hole. I hit 7 iron, thinned it a little bit, but it was a laser at the pin. It rolled over a ridge in the green and the guy in my group started jumping up and down saying it was a hole it one. I didn't believe it until I picked it out of the hole. I thought it had just rolled over the ridge and was somewhere near the hole.

Second one was just last January. Had an unusually warm day so I decided to go play 9 holes. On a 120 yard par 3 on the back, I pulled a PW and hit a knock-down shot that landed about an inch left of the hole, skipped forward and then spun back into the cup.

At least I got to see the second one go in!

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade Gloire HY U4 JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Sonartec  T46b12 JDM LW 60* - TT S200
Royal Collection  East Coast - Miami JDM 

Jones  Rover R Utility

Harrisburg CC two years ago. There was a ton of rain days before. In a scramble tournament. Got to hole #16. Par 3 158ish. Hit one off the stick stopped a foot from the hole.

Get this...

The very next hole, typically a par 5. Fairway was drenched so they made it another par 3. 160yds, up hill, left to right breeze...Told my team before I hit, I'm canning this thing. Sure enough, hit a beauty towards the left side, breeze pushed it right. Hit the green, rolled about 8' and in!

I went through 3 decades hitting sticks and even rimmed a few out and never had one til this..Or since.

Never forget that day.

I love all these high soft draw stories!

Mine? November 2006. 5 iron, 185 with my buddy. Bladed it, didn't get more than 15 feet off the ground. Hit probably 20 yards in front of the green, and just kept rolling. Green is very undulated, so when it disappeared, we looked at each other .. did that go in? Hell yes.

I've hit thousands of better shots, which just goes to show how much luck there is.

EDIT, it was 2006, not 2016.

And to add, a season or two before this, I flew a ball into the cup, hit the liner, and bounced out 30 feet from the hole, only then to 3 jack.

I love all these high soft draw stories!

Mine? November 2016. 5 iron, 185 with my buddy. Bladed it, didn't get more than 15 feet off the ground. Hit probably 20 yards in front of the green, and just kept rolling. Green is very undulated, so when it disappeared, we looked at each other .. did that go in? Hell yes.

I've hit thousands of better shots, which just goes to show how much luck there is.

I love this. Playing with a group of assistant pros one day one of them stripes it in the same manner. Ball disappeared and he's on the phone immediately, by the time we got to the green the golf shop, the clubhouse and all 5 groups in the game were aware he had made a 1. Only the ball had caught a slope and disappeared from sight not because it went in, but it ran back down out of sight. He 3 putted. It was joyous.

I've been lucky enough to have 2 holes in one. The first was on a 98 yd par 3 over water, beautiful day, no wind. I hit a normal SW right at the hole, 1 hop and in. Pretty cool memory. My 2nd one came almost 10 years later. 220 yd par 3, windy cold day, wind blowing hard from my right downwind. I hit a nice high 5 wood , it curved a bit right to left and hit on the front of the green. We lost site of it and never saw it go in. Once we got to the green, my playing partner walked up and grabbed it out of the hole, awesome day.

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

First one was my 3rd year playing.

2i 205 yards skulled about a foot above the ground for 100 yds and then rolled on a baked fairway, up on the green and nailed the stick dead on - dropped. YAHOO!

Second one was much more refined at about year 10, a 91 to an elevated 132 yd green. Hit hole high about a foot to the right of the hole and hopped left straight in.

Third one was at a 165 yd downhill elevated tee about 80 feet. 8i hit on the right side hill fringe and took off across the green to the hole on the back left and smacked the stick so hard I looked up from picking up my tee.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Mine was in a match at my home course. Knew it was good from the second it left the face.

16th hole 145 yards, soft 9 iron one hop and drop.

It was hilarious when my opponent walked over to shake hands as I had closed him out with an ace, LOL.

On the flip side of all of these beautiful golfwrx ACES, My good buddy who is a beginner got an ace on a local course with me at our mens night. It didnt get 6 feet off the ground the entire 157 yards, hahaha. Rolled up made a clank and dropped it. Bugger won 800 bucks for that 'beauty' of a shot haha.

I felt bad the next week though as another guy got an ace, but the hole in one pot had been cleared out. 800 dollar win one week, 45 dollar win the next...

I've had 4 and none were slam dunks or damaged the hole. Just landed short of the pin and rolled in.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Congrats... Mine first was the same. Cool story for me anyway. 2010 first time out and played a weekend tourney with a buddy. First day struggles with no birdies and played like it was first round of year. Luck to shoot that. Second day was the same with two bogeys a double and no birdies. Not doing well as his A player... 8th hole our 17th 165 downhill no wind hit perfect 7 iron right at it. Tossed club mid air and looked at guys and said "still haven't made a birdie this year". Joking of course and ball flew in the hole!

Was a member guest though so had one more to go. Next hole was a long par 5. Couldn't reach in two so just said to myself make 5 and go to the bar. Had bout 80 yards left for 3rd shot to an elevated green hit another perfect shot and joked I think that went in too! It did... Finished eagle eagle and it was an expensive night! Stupid game haha

The first one was at Kingstree CC when I was six. Ladies tees, hit Northwestern Jr. driver that rolled most of the 110 yards. The second was at Marion Lake Club 18 years later on No.8 145 yards. it flew it in the cup.Had my third on the following Wednesday on the 4th hole at MLC that was also a slam dunk. I also had 3 on No.7 at Catawba and 1 on #13. These were all normal type shots.