REVIEWS: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Testing. Read what member testers say.

Great read guys! I am just learning about tipping, thinking my stock would benefit, or I would... For those that tipped, do you feel that it was too much for the newer CF design and tech that this shaft has?

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Post #6 updated with a mini driving range review

It was feeling stout? I see you were in an AD TP 6S but went with a 70 gram X in the ATMOS. Was this something Fujikura recommended, or was it just what you requested?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Great read guys! I am just learning about tipping, thinking my stock would benefit, or I would... For those that tipped, do you feel that it was too much for the newer CF design and tech that this shaft has?

I honestly don't know if Fuji tipped mine or not as I didn't request any special tipping. Maybe the Fuji rep can chime in here and shed some light. I know that mine does not feel overly stout. It has a ton more feel than my 757 Evo.

It was feeling stout? I see you were in an AD TP 6S but went with a 70 gram X in the ATMOS. Was this something Fujikura recommended, or was it just what you requested?

My AD TP 6 Stiff is tipped an inch so it feels pretty firm. I intended to install the Atmos straight in but it came to my door installed so I'm unsure on tipping. When I was fit for my AD TP my fitter told me I was right between being Stiff or X and I could play either. During the season I definitely hit it a little harder than what I'm doing now so I wanted to make sure i took that into account when I requested my Atmos. I also wanted the ability to possibly shorten the Atmos to play a shorter driver without making the shaft play too soft after adjusting the head weight to maintain swing weight.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

My AD TP 6 Stiff is tipped an inch so it feels pretty firm. I intended to install the Atmos straight in but it came to my door installed so I'm unsure on tipping. When I was fit for my AD TP my fitter told me I was right between being Stiff or X and I could play either. During the season I definitely hit it a little harder than what I'm doing now so I wanted to make sure i took that into account when I requested my Atmos. I also wanted the ability to possibly shorten the Atmos to play a shorter driver without making the shaft play too soft after adjusting the head weight to maintain swing weight.

Makes sense. That's the hard part for those that have an extended off season. After not making those golf moves for a few months, things slow down and it can take a while to get that speed back. I like to have all my equipment changes done before the season starts so my swing and new equipment are grooving at the same time. But, it takes a little assuming on my end that I will gain that speed back :)

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I honestly don't know if Fuji tipped mine or not as I didn't request any special tipping. Maybe the Fuji rep can chime in here and shed some light. I know that mine does not feel overly stout. It has a ton more feel than my 757 Evo.

Thanks,,, The Speeder felt a little to pool cue like for me.. My friend loves it, but he is much more an aggressive swinger off the tee.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I played my shaft first with no tipping to get the full effect of its feel. By no means was it stout, and there was both a definitive load and kick. I chose to tip because I like to play my shafts around 44.25" and I also prefer a little firmer feel throughout the whole swing.

After tipping 1" it is about as perfect a feeling and playing shaft as I've ever swung, seriously considering putting one in my 3 wood after I see how the other shafts in the series perform. The tipping didn't make the shaft stout or cause a loss of feel. The best way I can describe it is that it mainintaibed the same luxurious feel but just tightened up - Like how you'd adjust a sports cars suspension.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I just sold both of my Tour AD TPs in 6s and 7s. I used both for a few weeks in my Epic head and have a good idea on those as I just shipped them out this past week. The AD DI was always a favorite of mine and I played it for years. The TP is stouter and doesn't have nearly the kick of the AD DI in my hands. The TP feels heavier in the swing. In the equivalent flex, my opinion is the Atmos is a blend of the 2 but better. It has a very nice kick to it and is still super stable. It doesn't feel as heavy throughout the swing as the TP does. I really wanted to love the TP but it just didn't work for me and turned out to be an expensive experiment. I was in Tampa this week and spoke to a very knowledgeable tour rep. I told him about selling mine and he said GD isn't getting much play from that shaft on tour as they had hoped. He said the Atmos is absolutely killing it for the Fujikura guys though.

I hit mine yesterday on the sim and prelminary testing is very good. I realized i'll have to go to the 9.5* head for me to get spin to the appropriate amount for now -- launch is in the perfect window that just rises to apex and goes flat till it runs outta juice before coming to earth.

the kick in the shaft as others have mentioned is very apparent - and i like it. typically i've found with shafts that kick hard the dispersion goes out the window -- not true so far with this one. it's going to be a great shaft for a lot of golfers i think - has the stability to stick with a fast swing/aggressive transition, but feels smooth/soft enough that those with lower swing speeds will get the benefits of the kick.

impressed so far -- and while in the sim i got at least a handful of compliments by the guys; it's a sweet looking shaft (i know i know, been said quite a few times already).

this week we have a blizzard coming so, i'll be looking to get some flightscope info probably tuesday or even wednesday too depending on how much work i'll have to miss. stay tuned!!!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Update #3 03/13/2017

Sunday, was a much better overall day than Saturday. drewtaylor21 and I played Paiute Snow Mountain and it was a tough day. Easily a 15-20 constant "fresh breeze" all day. The one cool thing about it was I got to apply the wind technique Andrew introduced to me awhile back BUT I still scored like butt and that was due to my awful short game (1 of 13 converted) Totally different day off the tee though, I hit 9 of 14 fairways. "ATMOS!!!" Is pretty much what we were saying every FIR, haha. After today, it's become increasingly clear that this shaft can definitely perform a long ball off the tee and as far as playability is concerned, it is a much, much better shaft for me than my current gamer. As I have said a few times prior, it's just so much easier to make a good swing with a shaft that provides you feedback. I hit a few long balls and some, not so long but similar to Saturday, the mishits weren't really that short. Snow mountain is 7100ish yards from the tips and the longest approach I had that wasn't a Par 5 was 225, and that was due to me hitting the big ball before little ball.

I'm gonna give it a few more rounds but I'm about 90% sure that this shaft is going to kick the HZRDUS out of the bag just because of consistency. Even if it turns out I am hitting it shorter, it's worth the extra playable mishits I have been seeing. As the swing improves, so will the mishits and ultimately, it's going to help attain the main goal of lowering that index.

Hey guys quick chime in - only one that was tipped was the 8X for cvhookem as he requested it specifically.

Do you know if anyone requested the Red? After hearing the initial thoughts on the Blue, I'm really curious how the Red plays considering the Blue may be a little lower launching than anticipated. Some of us could use a little more launch and spin :)

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Do you know if anyone requested the Red? After hearing the initial thoughts on the Blue, I'm really curious how the Red plays considering the Blue may be a little lower launching than anticipated. Some of us could use a little more launch and spin :)

No reds were requested unfortunately

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

Hey guys quick chime in - only one that was tipped was the 8X for cvhookem as he requested it specifically.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

For reference, I swing around 105 and touch 110 when it is warm. Probably haven't swung this shaft much harder than 100 in the 30* weather we have been having, and "x" has plenty of feel to it and doesn't feel "boardy" at all.

I don't think the Black launches too low at all, so I think a Blue may surprise you.

Must have been the wrx effect misconstruing their personal perceptions.

@therealping

I asked Chad a fitting question via the Fujikura site. I currently play the Kuro Kage XT 60 stiff in my driver (@ 45.5") and Kuro Kage XM 70 stiff in my 3 wood (@ 43"). I asked which Atmos shafts I should look at based on my current shafts, Chad suggested Atmos Blue 6S for the driver and Atmos Red 7S for my 3 wood. I was not expecting a Blue and Red recommendation. I guess this goes to show how vital fitting is for these shafts.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I'll request a Red right now. :rockon: I'll be happy to make the comparison to my black on the launch monitor and report back on the results.

I'll request a Red right now. :rockon: I'll be happy to make the comparison to my black on the launch monitor and report back on the results.

And I would be happy to provide on course data.

And I would be happy to provide on course data.

Lol, I just want to see it in action in a super low spin head. I worry that too little spin may actually be an issue.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I hit the red and blue the other day in 6x and 7x only difference between the red and blue even between flexes was launch window. I didn't hit the black so I can't comment on that one, but just as they say really the only difference between them is launch window, even between weight, they really felt very similar and I'm pretty sensitive to flex and feel.

Not sure what questions you had specifically but I'll try and answer them.

I hit the red and blue the other day in 6x and 7x only difference between the red and blue even between flexes was launch window. I didn't hit the black so I can't comment on that one, but just as they say really the only difference between them is launch window, even between weight, they really felt very similar and I'm pretty sensitive to flex and feel.

Was it a drastic change in launch? How about spin? Did the blue feel more stable?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I finally had a chance to get a small range session in today. It was a balmy 39 degrees today, so naturally I had to take advantage of the good weather. When it's this cold, I loose some of the feel for the club. I started out hitting balls with my gamer, Fujikura Pro 53k and then switched to the Atmos Tour Spec 6x. The two things that jumped out to me were the ball flight and the different feel of the shafts. The ball flight was a little higher with the Atmos Tour Spec compared to the Pro 53K. I was a little surprised by this, since some have seen a little lower launch. This also could be due to the fact that I was warmed up when I switched the shafts. The Atmos Tour Spec has kick to it, but still plays true to flex. It's stout and lively, something I haven't found in many shafts. I can't wait for some warmer, better weather to do more testing and get it out on the course. Really interested to see if I see the same results as I got today. I should be getting on a Trackman next week, so def will have a better comparison of these two shafts from Fujikura. My final thought, from my brief, cold range session is Fujikura has built a really good shaft.

Was it a drastic change in launch? How about spin? Did the blue feel more stable?

Both shafts felt very similar, if they were the same color or in marked I probably wouldn't have been able to tell, both had a very pronounced kick through the ball but I hit both super straight. The wind was blowing in pretty hard the day I hit them and neither one ballooned into the wind. Blue was a lower peak height for me. Both launched visually about the same blue flattened out where red went slightly higher.

Sorry I don't remember my actual numbers but the red was not what I would consider a high launch shaft but it hit, for me, what I would consider the next launch window higher. Spin was very similar between the two.

I went with the blue 7x in my epic sub zero and I will most likely replace my p95 in my 4wood with a red 8x. The feel of the shaft is what I liked the most, very stable but with a pernounced kick through the ball.

UPDATE 3/13

Finally got a chance to take it out to the range on my lunch break. No stretching no warm up except for a few 8i shots to a 150 pin to "groove" my swing and get a mental picture that I CAN HIT MY TARGET!

I decided to start out with the ATMOS, I figured I can blame bad shots on lack of warm up ?. First swing was a "smooth" baby fade to the right of the 250 marker, landing what appeared to be past the pin. Took a 10 second breather after setting up the next ball. Second swing was straight and headed to the 250 marker, and sure enough it went past the flag landing behind the mound. Third swing I decided to step on it a bit more and it must've been a bit over the top as it faded more than the first. To my delight it still went the distance, still hitting the area of the 250 range. I hit a few more (maybe six) before switching back to the Diamana.

Took a few minutes to rest before hitting the setup that I've been happy with. First shot was a slight fade again that landed in front of the 250 range, I could tell because the ball bounced past the flag. The next 8 shots were s combo of straight and fades with maybe only one I could see flying the 250 mark.

So a brief comparison between the two shafts:

- ATMOS I was getting mid/high trajectory with the Diamana launching higher; higher ones can probably be attributed to my set up position.

- ATMOS was definitely, without a doubt, longer in my non-scientific test, all eye balled!

- ATMOS IS SMOOTH without feeling like you'll lose control if you went after it. With the Diamana I am always scared of hooking if I tried to eke out a few more yards.

Before the shaft was ordered I chatted with Eric Recher who relayed my experience to their fitters who then recommended the Black 6x. However, from the first few posts from the other ATMOS thread everyone was saying it was STOUT! Granted those members were testing 70x or 80x tipped 1", it scared me so I asked Eric to dial it back down to the 6s. I think I could have handled the 6x but I'm very happy with the results.

Real world testing will be on Saturday on a fairly long course. I'm looking forward to it and will report back soon, to be played with the new TP5x that I received from TM and GolfWRX!

If I get a chance to hit some at the PGA Tour Superstore bay, I'll share a pic of the numbers.

Until next update, play well, friends!

Cheers! ?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

Thanks for that feedback, glad to hear you experienced that. It was our goal for sure, similar feel and performance across all 3, but slightly different launch/spin to really help pros dial in their desired flight.

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

Snow in Cincinnati.... Hold on while I check Frontier for last minute plane tickets to Florida. I Need to play some golf.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003