2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

RDD Q&A on Everything Golf

whr

Thanks for the taking the time to answer all of the questions

1) how much of the distances we see tour pros hit their irons is a result of their lofts being adjusted for "optimal spin rate" ie bent strong to reduce spin if it is "high" for that particular club

2) would the tour installing standard loft requirements for each iron change how the pros play and strategize?

1) Very, very little.

2) Not at all. Doesn't matter what the number on the club says. Those guys know how far each club will go

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Robert...what were the "female groupies" like on tour? Obviously you're a man of great integrity but you've probably heard stories...

Of course I know nothing of these things, but I've been told that if someone is at a golf tournament in high heels they're there to do things other than watch golf.

Have you ever had cocktails with Jerry Foltz? Just seems like a good guy...

Yes and yes

So Robert...what were the "female groupies" like on tour? Obviously you're a man of great integrity but you've probably heard stories...

Of course I know nothing of these things, but I've been told that if someone is at a golf tournament in high heels they're there to do things other than watch golf.

Yes and yes

You are awesome RD. Thanks.

So they're having a Golf Channel golf outing. You're playing from 6,500 yards. What does Gary Williams shoot? Hack? DiMarco? Rymer? Kelly T.? Brandel?

Who would you have the most fun with in a 2 person best ball?

Yes and yes

You are awesome RD. Thanks.

So they're having a Golf Channel golf outing. You're playing from 6,500 yards. What does Gary Williams shoot? Hack? DiMarco? Rymer? Kelly T.? Brandel?

Who would you have the most fun with in a 2 person best ball?

Thanks.

No idea but Dimarco obviously the best.

Prob Kelly and Hack

• 2 weeks later...

RD, tell the brain dead production people at the Drive, Chip and Putt (if it's GC directing this broadcast) we would like to see shots, shots and more shots!

Very few golf shots and way too much chatter, interviews with Bubba, etc, Personal stories are okay, but when coming up with all these bios becomes the show they are not growing the game. Friends, family not there, kids watching, family there but taping, me (!) want to see the kids hitting shots and the actual competition.

Every year it gets less about the shots. Now lots of kids aren't being shown. Need a balance, but it's way off this year.

I'm MAD!

• 1 year later...

Watching Morning Drive (well, I'm at the table on my laptop and the pup was watching as usual until I made him stand up, lol) and mention was made of the upcoming changes.

(Picture quality sucks but not opening up the blinds and having the neighbors tracking our every move early in the morning)!

RDD - not trying to open up any big argument about the PGA Championship being moved (especially since I'm not a fan of that), but wondering if there is any "buzz" among the players at this point given The Players will be moving and the PGA as well? Thought maybe this event this year would have folks thinking about that a little bit, but maybe it's still a little early?

Watching Morning Drive (well, I'm at the table on my laptop and the pup was watching as usual until I made him stand up, lol) and mention was made of the upcoming changes.

(Picture quality sucks but not opening up the blinds and having the neighbors tracking our every move early in the morning)!

RDD - not trying to open up any big argument about the PGA Championship being moved (especially since I'm not a fan of that), but wondering if there is any "buzz" among the players at this point given The Players will be moving and the PGA as well? Thought maybe this event this year would have folks thinking about that a little bit, but maybe it's still a little early?

i think everyone is fine with the moves. Actually good to reestablish the Florida swing.

BTW, you have a very smart dog

i think everyone is fine with the moves. Actually good to reestablish the Florida swing.

BTW, you have a very smart dog

LOL, ever since the Hallmark Christmas movie rerun season was over after the holidays, he's a Morning Drive puppy - loves his RDD!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Linus said to get his greeting in this thread as well. Obviously, it's still the season for his Hallmark movies, but he's anxious for MD to return in a couple weeks!

RDD, not trying to get any "inside stuff", but if there is anything in general GC will allow to be revealed about what's upcoming would love to hear about it. If top secret, we'll understand.

And don't pay attention to that other thread, keep wearing the Bay Hill!

Thanks for your time Robert.

I get so irked if a Pro shoots 72-73 the last round and someone says they choked. I mean, if a player shoots 73-69-68-65 he “came on strong”. If he shoots 65-68-69-73 and loses by one “he choked”. I tell my friends that just golf! Did the other guy “choke” in the first round with zero pressure on him lol. What are your feelings?

PS Not a Van De Velde finish obviously ?

Thanks for your time Robert.

I get so irked if a Pro shoots 72-73 the last round and someone says they choked. I mean, if a player shoots 73-69-68-65 he “came on strong”. If he shoots 65-68-69-73 and loses by one “he choked”. I tell my friends that just golf! Did the other guy “choke” in the first round with zero pressure on him lol. What are your feelings?

PS Not a Van De Velde finish obviously ?

Lots of variables, but if your last round is your highest (after a solid first 54), it’s kinda a choke. Not always of course, but Sunday is the day that pays the bills.

Do you have any ideas on speeding up play? Do you think it starts with the tour?

probably starts on tour. Penalties on tour (which won't happen. Last one in early 90s). Let faster groups through at home. Doesn't matter what time you're playing in.

I'm aware of courses in the UK/Europe basically removing all "rough" and no four balls allowed. Good ideas for recreational golf or over the top?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

- Some of the best golfers in recent times were extremely good amateurs and played several pro events (PGA Tour, ET etc.) but didn't really even contend near the top of the leaderboard yet a few weeks after turning pro they win? Is there a common factor and can this be explained.

- Do you recall playing a regional qualifier for The Open (mid 90s possibly for 95 @ St Andrews) at a Glenbervie GC in Scotland? I'm certain you made it thru to the final qualifying.

- Was Tim Rosaforte OK with a fellow MD crew member dressing up as him on Halloween?

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Do you have any ideas on speeding up play? Do you think it starts with the tour?

probably starts on tour. Penalties on tour (which won't happen. Last one in early 90s). Let faster groups through at home. Doesn't matter what time you're playing in.

I'm aware of courses in the UK/Europe basically removing all "rough" and no four balls allowed. Good ideas for recreational golf or over the top?

Over the top. Just let faster groups through

- Some of the best golfers in recent times were extremely good amateurs and played several pro events (PGA Tour, ET etc.) but didn't really even contend near the top of the leaderboard yet a few weeks after turning pro they win? Is there a common factor and can this be explained.

- Do you recall playing a regional qualifier for The Open (mid 90s possibly for 95 @ St Andrews) at a Glenbervie GC in Scotland? I'm certain you made it thru to the final qualifying.

- Was Tim Rosaforte OK with a fellow MD crew member dressing up as him on Halloween?

-There is a confidence boost when you turn pro, but mostly just natural process

-98 I tried to qualify (unsuccessfully). Maybe at the course you mentioned

-I think he was ok with it. Who could be upset with Lauren?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone on this forum who could have a kind word with the Christmas break intern who decided that when someone has a birdie putt that occasionally an annoying and somewhat imposing white graphic, which then gets even more annoying and a little animated be displayed that says, "for birdie"?

LOL, the announcers just said it, the regular little player score box graphic shows par/his strokes - it is really dumb and I can only assume when the producers saw it they realized they had been pranked by some unpaid broadcasting major now that you can't change keys on typewriters when you leave the office. It's kind of like someone first discovered TV graphics only yesterday, but of course forgot the golf audience watching on TV, especially on GC, isn't stupid and knows a little about golf and has an attention span greater than a caffeinated rabbit.

No time to go into how I really feel, haha, but if only there was someone on this forum who knew someone who knew someone . . . .

-There is a confidence boost when you turn pro, but mostly just natural process

-98 I tried to qualify (unsuccessfully). Maybe at the course you mentioned

-I think he was ok with it. *****Who could be upset with Lauren********?

Ain’t that the truth.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

RDD with a nice, practical on the range demo this morning.

I vote for more of these!

And really liked the outdoors actually on the range aspect of it vs. the in studio putting green or simulator. So much that could be done with something outside away from the studio every once in awhile - I think it would resonate. Now if you are putting outside and the "For Birdie" graphic comes up, well I just don't know, lol. Enough Monday morning TV producer on this Wednesday.

I know you said you need a new bag - was that your 7 iron? I'm not a club junkie to the point where I can recognize anything but looked Wilson-ish (even if it wasn't) although the camera didn't really zoom in.

RDD going through that process would make for something a lot of us relate to and would also enjoy.

RDD with a nice, practical on the range demo this morning.

I vote for more of these!

And really liked the outdoors actually on the range aspect of it vs. the in studio putting green or simulator. So much that could be done with something outside away from the studio every once in awhile - I think it would resonate. Now if you are putting outside and the "For Birdie" graphic comes up, well I just don't know, lol. Enough Monday morning TV producer on this Wednesday.

I know you said you need a new bag - was that your 7 iron? I'm not a club junkie to the point where I can recognize anything but looked Wilson-ish (even if it wasn't) although the camera didn't really zoom in.

RDD going through that process would make for something a lot of us relate to and would also enjoy.

I think 7 iron, but we filmed it 3 weeks ago. Also they’re Taylor Made MC irons. Exact ones I used 5 years ago. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I was wondering when RDD would reappear on PGA Tour Live, enjoy your insight and analysis.

Do you know what events you are doing this season?

I don't expect names but any current players less than hospitable to the on-course guys? I guess with the players that are in featured groups its unlikely as they are guys that are used to the spotlight and they know you are there to do both them & the TV viewers a service.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Mike Davis threw out the idea of a Tour golf ball that's 80% as long as the current ball. Do you think that would be a good idea for the Tour?

Would not be bad. Anything to make 6800 yard courses relevant and close the gap between long and short hitters

I am now a big fan of Robert Damron!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse