Inside and outside the ropes

Aimnhit

Great post BGH!! Love it.

Thanks for some great insight into what is making you better.. I do recall using the pelz gadget that you are referring and often see a few guys still using with great success obviously..

Love you're work and keep it up!

Hope you get back into the big tier amateur events and kick a**!

AH

One guy who is using it is Hideki and look at the year he is having...just saying :)

Thank you! You know I think its funny when I make an assesment of guys out on tour. The guys who get there are obviously the best of the best no questions asked, but they fall into the "trap" of nit-picking their game to death and not focusing on what got them there in the first place. Now, this is a MASS generalization, but guys like Luke Donald who focused on changing his swing to gain more yards but he got to world number one based on his iron play and short game. At the top level, I believe its taking your skills that you are great at (aka spieth's great putting) and maintaining and improving on that, while trying to limit your weaknesses. Like I said its my humble opinion and its much easier to say this over a keyboard than do it, but I would focus on what got you on tour in the first place and make sure that's where you excel. Be the greatest chipper, pitcher, etc. and try to continually improve your game. After that, I am a big believer in visualization and seeing yourself winning the big tournaments, hitting the great shots down the stretch, and closing the deal. My 2 cents.

Please keep posting! I cant get enough and would love any mental exercises you might suggest.

BHG

WITB:

Who knows?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "recent" changes

The M2 Driver. it was 50:50 the AD DI shaft. I've tried a hundred shafts, this one wants to go straight for me. Toe misses are minor hooks not quackers

Last week in Florida, soggy bermuda. My kryptonite. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. From 30 yards in I was picking everything clean and using the bounce like a pro ... the discovery, simply "keep the club head outside the hands and cut across the ball". I was an inside trapped flipper ! It was refreshing not chunking the crap out of everything

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My "recent" changes

The M2 Driver. it was 50:50 the AD DI shaft. I've tried a hundred shafts, this one wants to go straight for me. Toe misses are minor hooks not quackers

Last week in Florida, soggy bermuda. My kryptonite. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. From 30 yards in I was picking everything clean and using the bounce like a pro ... the discovery, simply "keep the club head outside the hands and cut across the ball". I was an inside trapped flipper ! It was refreshing not chunking the crap out of everything

Did you get a chance to hit/Play the M1?

If so, what were the main differences and why'd ya go with the M2?

Thanks Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Oh and thanks for this thread AH, appreciate it. Love reading about the trials and tribulations of tour players.

EvnRoll ER9

My "recent" changes

Did you get a chance to hit/Play the M1?

If so, what were the main differences and why'd ya go with the M2?

Thanks Bro

RP

I didn't find the m1 to be as forgiving for me, and it had a much tinnier feel to it. My preferred driver shape is a high rolling draw, m2 made for this (just needed the right amount of lead tape on the toe)

EvnRoll ER9

Not sure if laziness was the reason, but over the last few years .... my grip was becoming too strong. I was hitting all my shots low and to the left. Big ugly hooks. Read some stuff on here and decided I needed weaken my left grip. Oh my God. What a difference. No more manipulating the clubface to stay open. No more hanging back. No more flipping. The light bulb finally went on. I'm on my way to getting to a high single cap. Thank goodness for all the good information on this site.

I

Let's talk shop for a while..

I'm guessing that most people love all the gear and gadgets that are readily available to everyone these days..

I would love to hear some feel good story's that have legitimately changed your game or made you better, whether it's from new equipment, practice tools, even books.. anything really..

Hoping I can maybe learn something from someone or gets some new fresh ideas..

Ready set go!

AH

AH, this part is not going to help you, but perhaps my putting tip below might. The biggest improvement for me was seeing myself on camera. I purchased a 10 lesson set at GolfTec and along with the lessons came unlimited practice in the bays with cameras. For those who've never seen themselves on camera, you are not doing what you think you are doing. It was really eye opening to me. Seeing my swing through my instructor's eyes was priceless. I knew the end result he was looking for, but the way he was trying to get me there, well, my body just didn't move that way. So while on my practice time, I worked on my own moves, referring to the video after each swing while keeping his intent in mind. By no means do I have a text book swing today, but my ball striking has never been better, and it's MY swing. I was always hovering between a 5 - 9 hdcp, but after GolfTec and video I was able to get it down to a 1.5, which doesn't sound like much, but that last bit toward scratch is tough.

I have always been a pretty good putter, but sometimes I fall into a funk, mostly due to hitting the ball on a slight upstroke or just a tad of a push/pull. What really helps me get back in draino mode is to watch an imaginery blade of grass under my ball. What I mean by that is when I'm at my final address position I look right through my ball and picture a blade of grass sitting under my ball and stay focused on that spot, and it only becomes visible after my putter moves the ball out of the way. After the strike, I'm actually looking at a real blade of grass. This has really helped me with making solid contact, especially speed control, while keeping "swing thoughts" out of my head.

I'm guessing that most people love all the gear and gadgets that are readily available to everyone these days..

I would love to hear some feel good story's that have legitimately changed your game or made you better, whether it's from new equipment, practice tools, even books.. anything really..

Ready set go!

AH

Great to have you back. A couple of things that have helped me. I started using the Pelz putting tudor (with the marbles on the end) and force myself to make 20 in a row once a day until I can stop. Its great for me bc I do it indoors so I have no focus on the ball going in the hole, but more just focusing on getting it started on line. This led me to realization that all I can control is my start line, sometimes the putts fall and other days they don't. However, I know that if I am starting online all it takes is for one or two putts to fall and then its the floodgates.

As for full swing, I simplified everything so I just rely on feel. I video'd my swing for the first time in awhile the other day to prove to myself to trust my instincts and what my eyes were telling me. I was right, my takeway was too inside causing me to have some trouble hitting cuts and making my ballflight much higher than I wanted. Once I started feeling my takeway more straight back/a touch outside, I started compressing the ball so much better, ball flight lowered, and easier to hit cuts. When I do hit balls, I focus on patterns I was seeing from the golf course. This usually ends with me hitting exagerrated cuts for 30 mins to an hour, and I get back to hitting my shots online.

I have completely changed how I practice. I do 85% short game, with that split into pitching/chipping etc. and putting. When I do pitching/chipping/etc. I always try to learn a new shot (recently it was the hybrid bump and run). I also work hard for half the time on my technique ( i tend to get handsy with pitches so I really focusing on no wrist c0ck) and then put myself in pressure situations in order simulate something I would see on the course. Bad/tight/dirt lies, soggy lies, sidehill/downhill, you get the gist. It has made playing much better and my short game has been getting better. With putting, I play 18 holes and set a par for each hole, then try to shoot even par or lower. I also use my Pelz tool.

Finally, I have spent the majority of down time after work focusing on my mental preparation, visualization, and routine. I played golf a couple of weekends ago and noticed how rusty I was when it came to course management, strategy, and shot analyzation. The first two or obvious, but what I meant with shot analyzation is assessing my lie, the wind, picking my landing spot, picking a narrow target, going through my routine, and committing to the shot. It was only a casual round, but my executions of all of these were very sloppy.

FWIW, I was a wash-up former college golfer with tournament experience etc etc, and it was amazing how a lot of this stuff came naturally to me. Now that I have focused on routine, short game, visualizing shots, making the right judgement of lies, and committing to each shot, its funny how much better of a golfer I am. I have been shooting decent scores, with one not so decent (I blame Anaheuser-Busch those B*****ds) but I know that once I can get into a rhythm and start playing more, I know I will start cleaning up on the amateur circuit.

Sorry for the long winded post but just thought i'd share some things with you.

BHG

EDIT: I forgot the most important part, this is GolfWRX btw, the gear. I started tinkering with my gear to have a fade bias so it is easier for me to hit cuts (aka lead tape on everything). I also started using a putter(s) with no alignment aid and its amazing how much that has freed up my stroke. This has also held me accountable for actually lining up my golf ball where I want to start it and not faking it as I used to be extremely lazy in doing this.

Not gear but playing with much better players has helped me more than any equipment or lessons. Watching how they manage their game and what they practice has been a blessing.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

Ready set go!

AH

Not equipment but playing with much better players and seeing how they manage their games has been awesome for me. Much more so than equipment and tips, etc.

AH,

My apologies if this has been asked but is good still fun for you or a job? Or maybe a combination of both?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

I keep going back to the mental game. We all can practice until we're striking the ball well, but what helps transition that to the golf course?

Many experts believe that we need to achieve the "flow" state of mindful competence. Allowing our more active brain to quiet and trust our deeper consciousness to execute. Recently a trusted instructor recommended the Muse head band to me. Specifically Opti-International's program. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth a look!

Ready set go!

AH

AH

6 Miller Lite's before I peg it up.

Ready set go!

AH

I switched to an older Rife Aruba putter and put a Garsen Edge Pro grip on it built up slightly. The grip has made more of a difference than I thought would be possible. It's thin enough and soft enough that the feel from contact is transmitted effectively, but the angles put my arms and hands in a comfortable functional place alleviating the need for a fatter, feel killing grip like the superstroke I was using.

The other thing I did which I am starting to see good results with is an indoor net. I picked up a net return and a cc elite mat and put it in my garage. Hitting indoors into a net has really allowed me to focus on the new things I'm working on and what they feel like. All I worry about is my positions and impact quality.. No other distractions, no thinking about the ball flight.

I'll then play a few holes imagining the shot shapes I need and grading myself based on how it felt coming off the face and how well I executed the swing. It's amazing how many distractions there are hitting balls outdoors, even if you're the only one on the range... Hitting into the indoor net has accelerated my progress for sure.

I take several vitamin and mineral supplements but I recently started taking ZMA before I go to sleep and it's been great, better sleep, better recovery, its Zinc, Magnesium, and B6 so there's nothing on the banned list there that would flag.

Lastly I put Kiyoshi Purples in my Hybrid and 3 wood. The Hybrid is perfect, I'm still working on the weight/balance in the 3 wood. Medium flight, low spin, very tight dispersion, very very consistent and predictable. My go-to equipment guy (an aussie who spent years working a pga tour van) turned me on to oban, it's not something I would have tried on my own, but I'm happy I did. I will be experimenting with some oban's in a new driver head soon, should be able to tighten it up a bit.

On a side note, I just listened to a Joe Rogan Podcast with Dominick Cruz. He's an MMA fighter who, after a solid win streak and much success had several debilitating injuries back to back and was forced to spend years in surgery and rehabbing his body, with the real prospect of him being finished as an athlete/fighter. The takeaway for me wasn't the physical recovery, but how he dealt with potentially losing his identity, his purpose, his self worth and value after he couldn't do the thing that made him who he was. I plan on listening to it again but it was a very candid back and forth and I got a lot out of it. I am guilty of tying my happiness and feelings of self worth to performance and achievement, something I would guess many struggle with, especially pro athletes, and this was pretty much the focus of the podcast. There are actually quite a few phenomenal Rogan podcasts, especially some really candid and unguarded ones, this was just the most recent one that impressed me...

-J

Afternoon AH/Aimnhit

After 17 pages, over an hour spent reading through all posts, your responses and willingness to provide so much feedback I can only say thank you.

Although I have not asked a direct question the words/advice you have given can help a golfer at any level.

I understand and admire your choice to stay anonymous. I personally know a few PGA/European Tour players and they would openly admit that dealing with the demands off the course are sometimes harder than the demands to play well/earn money/points etc. on the course.

Anonymity is sometimes lost on us mere mortals who watch and admire from our chairs.

I wish you a fantastic season and future.

If you ever venture to Ireland/N Ireland I would happily host yourself (you can even wear a mask, protect that identity)

Best wishes,

Ger

AH

Quick question. I am trying to get a practice plan together for when I am at home/the course (when I get some time). Any suggestions on how to practice with a purpose. I am mostly concerned with short game, but would love to know some long game stuff as well. I used to be a huge range rat but honestly I would rather play than hit balls if I have the time. If I have 2 hours to practice though, I would rather spend it chipping/putting as the long game always comes back quicker than the short game. I believe I am doing some of this, but would love to hear your take on it and your suggestions on how to continually improve.

BHG

WITB:

Who knows?

Our practice area is really quite good there's a number of different greens, bunkers and lies to play from.

I practice flops over the bunkers to tight pins, 8 or 9 iron bump and runs to pins 50 feet away, trying to play the same shot with different clubs.

The long game practice is more difficult, I find going out at anti social hours and playing 3 or 4 balls by myself has helped me improve.

From 200 yards out my stock 3 wood to the green, a 3 and 4 iron to 180/170 to see how strike is, what a 3rd shot will be like and a 7 iron.

As a higher handicapper strike is the most important thing for me long game wise and for course management to give me an idea of what I'll need to do next.

Hitting to a flag at the range doesn't tell me much to be honest as I'm nowhere near good enough to practice "repeatable."

Course management in the short term is helping me.

• 3 weeks later...