2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MACHINE Putters 1st Release (v1.0) by Dogleg Right

DB MACHINE

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

Happy Memorial Day, especially those who have family or loved ones in the service, now or in the past.

I made the "Bronze Star" putter in the attached photo in honor of my grandfather, Lt. Col. Asa W.K. Billings, Jr. who served during WWII. Chris Hoeppner helped me decipher some of the medals that I wasn't sure of. My granddad and my father have been gone for many years now, and I wanted to honor their histories and memories for my kids, their cousins and our future generations. My grandfather graduated from Harvard and M.I.T. (as his father had) and was a very talented architect and artist, but dropped all of that to fight in the second world war. He landed on Normandy, and fought in many famous battles and liberated many as they marched east all the way to Germany and Belgium...(you can't believe the scrapbook he made with his own photographs...).

With Chris' help, I discovered that my grandfather was not only awarded the bronze star three times (signified by the two oak leaf clusters) but also the Legion of Merit, and the equivalent awards from France and also Russia, among other medals and honors. His Legion of Merit ribbon has two silver stars on it, and we are still trying to figure out what that means.... Thanks to the internet, I do know that there were only six Legion of Merits awarded in his 9th Infantry Division, also known as "Hitler's Nemesis" in WWII and "Old Reliable." An interesting sidebar: the fictional character Forest Gump was a member of the 9th Infantry Division in Viet Nam, where he became a hero in the movie.

Anyway, I thought some of you might appreciate the work, as well as the history of this bronze putter, especially on this day that we honor our fallen heros. I put as much love and respect as I could into this putter.

Sincerely,

-Dave

PS: I have received a couple of emails from Chris, and he is in Baghdad and doing OK, and still Laughing Out Loud!!! (LOL!) He is in our thoughts and prayers (and care packages are on the way!).

Dave - Thanks for a great story. My father, passed away last August, at 99. He was a flying tiger. He had tried to enlist in the Navy on 8 dec 1941, but thankfully they turned him down. Later, drafted, he became a flying tiger. He had a heck of a lot of story to tell as well.

I have always been proud of Dad, but, after he passed, I (regretfully) finally read a book on the expoits of the flying tigers.

Long story, even longer, here is a direct quote from Gen Claire Chenault, about my father's 308th Bomb Group:

"They took the heaviest combat losses of any Group in China - When the Army Air Force Headquarters in Washington tallied the bombing accuracy of every bomb group in combat, I was astonished to find that the 308th led them all."

I wish, and always will, that I had learned more sooner, I can only imagine what Dad might have been able to add.

Your new creation is a fitting remembrance, something with a story to tell each time you pick it up - whether that story is said out loud or just recalled in our collective heads.

A fitting tribute, Dave. You could stamp the Rear bumpers "OLD" "RELIABLE"

My grandfathers also served in WWII. My Mom's dad served in the Army Air Corps from February, 1943-October, 1945. He flew 50 missions as a B-24 navigator in the 10th Air Force, 7th Bomb Group, China-Burma-India, and was awarded numerous military honors including the Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Air Medal with Three Oak Leaf Clusters, and a Presidential Unit Citation. His still with us today, just recently hung up his spikes from playing golf. His stories of valor are amazing and inspiring.

Thank you to all who serve, and may God bless the families of the fallen heros who gave their lives for the freedoms we enjoy.

I wish, and always will, that I had learned more sooner, I can only imagine what Dad might have been able to add.

Your new creation is a fitting remembrance, something with a story to tell each time you pick it up - whether that story is said out loud or just recalled in our collective heads.

Jaw2000,

I think there is a lesson to be learned by alot of us in those short lines. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend time with my dad, as a youngster and listen to his stories of the Korean War. We used to gather around the table in the camper as Dad did everything he could to take myself, my older brother and a couple of our friends to as many junior tournaments as he could, through the summer months. My parents were divorced and it was only in the summer that we spent time with our dad.

I cherish those times and watch in bewilderment as some of my associates dread spending time with their fathers and listening to their old stories.

One day, we won't have that opportunity.

Thanks for reminding me of the blessings that I have been given in a father who cared and shared.

LaMont in AZ

Dave,

Your tribute is also something we can learn by. I just put a set of wedges on their way to Ari, of Scratch Golf. My dad has been swinging the same set, or a variation thereof, for the past 15 years. The new trio will be there to surprise him at our weekend together in Pocatello, Idaho, just before the 4th of July. It is the one tournament I can always count on playing, each year. We have played it for the past, well, this will be year number 25. It seems like yesterday.

Thanks for making me think of my dad, when I am letting little things distract me, over and over.

Health and Success,

LaMont in AZ

Lamont, thanks. Dad and I did as much together as we could, over my lifetime. I have some guilt that Dad spent a lot more time with me than my siblings - but that was my doing, not his. I wanted to do stuff with him, they did not. I can say that Dad and were a lot closer than many parents are with their kids. I have no regrets, and Dad shared as much as we all probed of him. But I learned so much in the books I have read since, that I know Dad could have added a lot more to the stories. One thing I can say, Dad never ever made a big deal of any of his stories - he thought everything was a part of life no matter how big a deal it may have been (to us anyway).

He sparred with Jack Demsey, got beat up by 'professional wrestlers', tagged General Chennault out (in the face, at second base), his plane, the 'Battlin b****' crashed with no survivors shortly Dad was sent home, he sold shoes to many of the famous - Harmon Killebrew among them, but Dad never shared a story unless you asked - and I know I asked a lot.

Anyway - I agree, there is a moral there - and it's up to each of us to understand how it best suits each individual.

• 3 months later...

BUMP!

Hi everyone! Most of you probably thought I fell off the planet. NOT! :)

I'm very happy and proud to make several announcements:

First, we have signed our agreements and can now officially announce the opening of the new MACHINE Putting Studio at the Hank Haney Golf Ranch at Vista Ridge. We are completing two adjoining rooms for the ultimate state-of-the-art Putting Studios with R&D, testing, player analysis and fitting and design studio in one room, and with custom production and showroom in the adjoining room, which also leads to the newly expanded outdoor putting green. Many more details and announcements to follow here on Golfwrx and on Puttertalk.com, including opening dates and special events for readers of both forums.

Secondly, I am very excited to announce the first big victory for the MACHINE Putter! A prototype putter was used by one of the amateurs on the USA Walker Cup team, including team points for the USA win to keep the Cup! This was a brand new prototype that required getting USGA and R&A approval in very short order, and it was very nicer to come out on the right side of this one! We fit the player and built his putter with the pros at our new facilities, so it is a great start to this exciting new venture.

I will be taking new family photos of the remaining 1st Release putters at the new facility, as well as posting photos of new heads, new hosels, new finishes, new technologies, new shafts, new grips and new headcovers, just to name a few of the things we've been working on. I'm sorry I've been so silent for so long, but I really couldn't do anything to spoil the surprise or risk possibly jinxing the deal before it was inked. Oh, yeah, we will also have a whole new Microsite website featuring all our new products and services too, as well as some great content and partners that I think you will all enjoy.

So, thanks for all your patience, especially those who still have orders in process. I have been working on them throughout, and eager to complete them, take the historic new family photos at the new facility and get them to their new owners. For anyone who has been considering one of our putters, please just wait a little longer until the 1st Release orders are all completed, and then we will show off the 2nd Release. We will be shipping everything from our new Putting Studio, and have new dedicated and professional staff to help with any questions, fitting, customer service, sales and support. Of course we can also refer you to the best teaching professionals in the business at Hank Haney Golf, and their newly expanded state-of-the-art facilities. We will be up and running with everything within a few more weeks.

In the mean time, attached is a photo of a version of the prototype "Arc-Balanced" MACHINE Putter used in the Walker Cup this weekend. That putter was Aluminum Bronze, with aggressive VMG face mill, antique finish, stamped and pre-worn, hand melted, flamed hand bent hosel, and custom heel weight, and also was fitted with the 2nd generation Reverse Arch grip.

This 303 stainless head is shown in progress, before the finish and stamps and before the "dew" mist was applied. Note the new hand-bent hosel (half a shaft offset in this set up) and tungsten heel weight. We face balance the putter without the heel weight, and then fit the heel weight to the player's stroke, to provide a natural closing of the face along the player's optimum putting arc.

Lots more in the coming days and weeks, I promise.

Best,

-Dave

Program won't let me post, for some reason. I will keep trying, or maybe one of the moderators can PM me if you can see what the issue is. The file disappears after I upload it....

Sorry for the suspense...

-DB

Sizing, file size issues resolved. Thanks everyone. (this place, and you guys are THE BEST!).

-DB

Thanks Z-Man!

More evidence of how truly great the golf industry is: Just like the game of golf, we putter "freaks" are so lucky to have respect and well wishes, even from our competitors.

And just like this afternoon, watching the players in the Walker Cup high fiving after crazy up-and-downs, and hugging after emotional wins, its really clear. It all just re-affirms what a special sport we all love, and are blessed to be involved in.

And BTW, just how beautiful is Royal County Down?! Man, I could play that course forever!

Since I had a few PM's from Lefties and those wanting different hand-bent hosel set-ups, here's another sneak peak for the loyal and patient...

Peace. Love.

-Dave

BEST

PICTURE

YET!!!!! :shout:

Great pics Dave, thanks for throwing them up. Between seeing the lefties there, or the shaft-over hosel, I don't know which to look at. Stainless too. Really some amazing work and it's great to see that your skills haven't diminished since you've started posting less. :friends:

(on the other hand, my handicap is inversely proportional to the number of posts I make between rounds--like most members here. :beruo:)

:hi:

BEST

PICTURE

YET!!!!! :russian_roulette:

Great pics Dave, thanks for throwing them up. Between seeing the lefties there, or the shaft-over hosel, I don't know which to look at. Stainless too. Really some amazing work and it's great to see that your skills haven't diminished since you've started posting less. :lol:

(on the other hand, my handicap is inversely proportional to the number of posts I make between rounds--like most members here. :cheesy:)

Geo, you definitely NEED to check one of these out!

dibs on a lefty :p

they look great. beruo can't be gluttonous and have them all :p

Good call Sak. This is the one putter that I've been really curious about for a while. Today's looking to be the first of many, many rounds with my new Anser 4, but I make no bones about wanting to test my best against what's out there. :russian_roulette:

J0n, technically, I signed up long ago to be a round two tester (though, I think Mr. Billings has moved LONG past the need of having to have his products tested by even the most long-winded, thoroughest, and brown-nosiest of amateurs :cheesy:), so we'll see if that plays out. As for gluttony, I think it was either Heffner or Ghandi who said that you can never have enough of something or another...though I don't know if they were talking putters. :lol:

:hi:

Thanks everyone. You are way too kind. I'm very flattered to get such nice comments, again from other designer and makers too. Thanks George. And everyone, please call me Dave. We're all friends here on WRX. :)

Geo. (Bero), the 2nd round tester offer still stands. I plan to use testers for every new model we come out with, as long as you guys are interested. The numbers are limited and 2nd round testers already selected, but PM me when we sneak peek the 3rd Release, if anyone can wait that long. :)

The two putters pictured are in fact LH #1 and LH #2 MACHINE Putters, both spoken for some time ago. However, I managed to mill a few other LH heads! LH #3 on up are available. We also have beautiful Aluminum Bronze, soft carbon steel and extra yummy billet copper... the hand bent hosels go great with these too. You can select lie, toe hang (or heel weighted, Arc-Balanced), offset and material, etc. A hand welded center-shafted also coming too (oops almost let that cat out of the bag! - my bad. :)

Pricing on the new stuff, and new order forms all in the works, so hang in there with me a few more days. More this week for sure though.

Thanks again,

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Dave:

Can you give us more info (an perhaps pics) on the prototype putter Trip Kuehne has been using?

Thanks!

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

• 1 year later...

I was at the Dallas Golf Expo yesterday, and met Dave personally. I'd have to say - I was STUNNED :man_in_love: at the beauty, feel, and performance of these putters.

I've been a steadfast "Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2" user since 2002, but this is probably the first putter I've tried that could convince me to leave the Cameron nest. I was spending a lot of time with a 34"/303 Stainless model, and it felt superb, warm, controllable, and very forgiving. Setup looked great of course, and the multitudes of options are tremendous.

Granted, my comments are based on an artificial putting green - but I demo so much equipment, and I attend every demo day, trade show, PGA Merchandising show, I possibly can, that I feel I can tell the differences and performance (for me). I need to try one on a real green, and compare the differences in feel & performance to make a better judgement.

Thanks again Dave, for the great conversation, and I look forward to seeing you soon. If I wasn't unemployed right now..........this could easily be my next putter.