The Mid-Am Circuit

Apex93

Playing in the Azalea Invitational next week. Good mix of highly ranked college players and accomplished Mid-Ams from what I understand. A lot of big names on the confirmed list, Nathan Smith, Bill Williamson, Todd White, Carlos Ocampo, Cole Hammer etc. This will be my first time playing it and I kind of backdoored it. Played Erin Hills with a friend last year and shot -2, he mentioned this to a friend on the Azalea tourney committee and the friend of the friend asked for my resume which I sent to him and consequently received and invite. I also have a lot of the credentials previously mentioned, qualifying for USGA events, winning club championships, placing well at Association and State events etc. Nothing particularly remarkable but I guess respectable enough to get me through the door.

I fully plan on getting my butt handed to me on a plate but am really looking forward to it and will update this thread with my experience down there.

Hey man congrats. That is a seriously difficult tourney to get into. Tell Nathan hello and spend as much time around him as possible as he is probably one of the most accomplished amateur golfers EVER. Great great guy as well with the greatest job you could ever dream of ;-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play on the "mid am circuit" and have played in 7 Carlton Woods Invitationals (4th is my highest finish), the International Invitational in Florida, multiple Champions Cups, multiple Peach Invitationals (finished 4th last year) multiple Williams Invitationals, The William Fownes 2 ball, Anderson Cup and won multiple Club Championships at various clubs match and stroke. Basically you have to start by going the USGA route and qualifying to get to the Big tourney or start winning Club Championships in the Championship bracket at a large club. writing a letter to a tournament committee can help but it helps if you know a current player that get's invited. Have THEM vouch for you and talk to the tournament committee about getting in the next year and that usually is the best route. Anyone can get their club pro to write a letter and anyone can write a heart felt letter but having legit players tell a tournament committee "Hey this guy needs to be in this event" is invaluable. Things like the Coleman, Crump Cup...just forget about it. Seriously. If you have to ask how then you won't get in. those two are two of the hardest tournaments to get in ever. One of my closest friends is the 7 time club champ at Oakmont CC (championship division) and more than anyone in the history of the club. The head pro at Oakmont AND Seminole is Bob Ford...He has never been invited to the Coleman and has won multiple large events, qualified for multiple USGA events. He and I have partnered in many events together with modest success and even he has a tough time. I've never even tried. Richard knows who I am talking about.

Super helpful. Thanks for the response, and good luck this season!

From what I've heard about these events, they all seem to be filled with good people - sticks who are competitive, but relaxed and genuinely nice - has that been your experience?

You are spot on. Competitive Mid Ams are wonderful because it's full of guys who have had success at golf, life and business who know they could have given it a run but aren't obsessed with trying to play for a living. There is no BS in these tournaments about anyone thinking they are gonna be pros. We talk about life, kids, cars, movies, hysterical event's we've all witnessed. Especially if you have ever played in a tournament or been paired with Billy Joe Tollivar. Holy crap that guy is a hoot to play with . I also solved his driving problems last year before the second round of the Peach Invitational which brought him and his partner back into contention...a tournament me and my partner were leading hahaha. That is what it's all about though. I was happier to have helped him solve his driving whoas than to have walked off and let him struggle. I gained a friend for life and a wonderful story

I have played in a few Champions Cups, Carlton, and others. Unless you have a stellar resume you need to know people affiliated with the tournament and have a respectable resume. I qualified for the mid-am 5 years ago and got a bunch of invites. Now I have 2 kids and I'm lucky if I get the ball airborne... :)

Playing in the Azalea Invitational next week. Good mix of highly ranked college players and accomplished Mid-Ams from what I understand. A lot of big names on the confirmed list, Nathan Smith, Bill Williamson, Todd White, Carlos Ocampo, Cole Hammer etc. This will be my first time playing it and I kind of backdoored it. Played Erin Hills with a friend last year and shot -2, he mentioned this to a friend on the Azalea tourney committee and the friend of the friend asked for my resume which I sent to him and consequently received and invite. I also have a lot of the credentials previously mentioned, qualifying for USGA events, winning club championships, placing well at Association and State events etc. Nothing particularly remarkable but I guess respectable enough to get me through the door.

I fully plan on getting my butt handed to me on a plate but am really looking forward to it and will update this thread with my experience down there.

That's unreal, play well, one of my buddies played in it 2 years ago I think

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Thanks for all the well wishes. Truth be told I'll be happy to make the Sunday cut to low 60 and ties given the strength of the field. I see that Tony Romo is in the field, I'll try and figure out where he's going to play next year and WRX can break the news.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Thanks for all the well wishes. Truth be told I'll be happy to make the Sunday cut to low 60 and ties given the strength of the field. I see that Tony Romo is in the field, I'll try and figure out where he's going to play next year and WRX can break the news.

Nope. Sorry, dude. I'm moving your goalposts.

Your goal is now not just to make the sunday cut -- you have to beat Romo.

Good luck and play well!

The Very Best to Ya next week!!

Have fun :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

This is a great thread! Hoping Drudersh plays well and am looking forward to the updates.

After 11 years of business and boring life stuff, I got back into golf in May 2014 (I was a high single digit cap in a previous life). The addiction is strong, and now, 3 years later, improving at golf is my main pursuit in life.

My goal is to be able to compete in the big state Amateur events here in Texas, but my performance so far this year suggests my game isn't quite there. However, simply knowing this sort of "competition ladder" exists in the Amateur world certainly provides a guy like me with a lot of motivation to keep improving!

Anyway, inspirational thread here. I could read this stuff all day (well, until it's time to go hit balls).

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Nope. Sorry, dude. I'm moving your goalposts.

Your goal is now not just to make the sunday cut -- you have to beat Romo.

Good luck and play well!

Got paired with Romo in an event in IL years ago. Painful to admit as a die-hard Packers fan, but was a really cool normal guy.

He's a good pair - easy to play well with.