12 clubs?

ago33

I've been tinkering with my setup and have been thinking I don't like a lot of clubs at the top of my bag or at the bottom so I'm thinking

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

Anyone try this? If so, what did you think of it and how did it work

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I play pretty much exact set up (srixon 745 pw instead of separate wedge) seems like less questions on the tee and around the green. Just made more sense to me.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5*
Adams Tight lies 16*
Ping G30 19*
Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS c-taper 120
Mack Daddy3 52S & 58C TT wedge shaft
Seemore Si-4 (34") Superstroke 1.0 Flatso

I've been tinkering with my setup and have been thinking I don't like a lot of clubs at the top of my bag or at the bottom so I'm thinking

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

I think anyone can easily do 12 clubs without having an adverse effect on scoring. I go:

Driver

16.5 fwy

21 hybrid

5 iron (26)- pw (45)

50 and 58 wedges

I'm not missing anything

I easily play 12... sometimes 13... sometimes 14 but that's putting the Ping Chip-O in the bag for fun.

I'm working on Bag B which will be 8 clubs. I've been out a few times with it and hasn't made a lick of difference to my scores.

D, 5w, 4h, 6-SW, LW, P and D, 7w, 5h, 7-9-G, 60.

Driver and 5 wood in Bag A is 45" and 42.5"... Bag B driver is 42 1/4" and 7 wood is 41"... just as an experiment.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Have 13 in the bag right now, but could easily leave the 3w at home and not miss a beat. I only keep the 3w, as a matter of principal...I will master that beast.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

Check out this thread: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1119631-minimalist-thread-bag-set-up-theory/page__st__90__p__14972366__hl__+minimalist#entry14972366

I could easily play with the OP's 12 club setup... I basically do in my backup/walking bag, except Pw/50/54 and a 49* utility wedge (niblick) makes 13. For awhile my walking set was also a short set that was 3w/3h/5i/7i/9i/Sw/Putter and I could the 4h was probably the club I missed most, but mostly because I didn't hit that particular 3h all that well.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

One of my all-time favorite quotes from the great Bobby Jones and please forgive me if this is not exact.

Around 1930 and shortly after Bobby Jones won the Grand Slam using between 14-15 clubs a golf writer asked Jones how he felt about using 14 clubs in his bag when Chick Evans won the 1916 US Open using only 7.

Bob's reply:

"Its better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

Brilliant!

I play with 12 in the bag:

12 degree driver

18 degree 5 wood

23 degree hybrid

27 degree hybrid

7 iron (30.5) all the way to lob wedge.

Putter.

I used to carry a 3 wood but found it would go about the same as the 5 wood. Same with the 20 degree hybrid I carried, it went the same as the 23 hybrid so I dropped the 3 wood and 20 hybrid and went the the shorter shafted club which was the 5 wood and 23 hybrid.

Ping G400 Max 9° Alta CB
Ping G20 5 Wood TFC 169F
Ping G20 23° & 27° TFC 169H
Ping Karsten 7-SW KS401
Ping Tour Gorge 60° TFC 169i
Ping G5i Craz-e C 35 inch

My only issue with these bags is that they seem to be missing the ability to do one thing: hit a bit very low and very hard.

I have a hard time hitting a modern wood and/or a modern hybrid low with significant speed (they are built and designed to launch the ball into the air).

I basically play with 12 clubs (see signature) and it looks a lot like y'alls bag, except I don't like hybrids. However two key exceptions: I use a 17* 3 iron so I can get out of trees a long, long way (210+ ground balls if needed) and I can hti it off the tee but keep it extremely low into a significant wind. I also play both a 55 and a 58 simply because I like a K grind around the green but not on a full swing, but that isn't strictly necessary.

I'm not sure its effective to play your first club capable of hitting a low ball at around 26*. In the wind, especially up north when its cold, that is going to make holes into the wind a way longer and its going to make being in the trees say 180 out a wasted stroke (when sometimes you can punch all the way to the green complex).

Now, if you guys can reliably hit a scorching grounder with a modern hybrid or wood, I see nothing wrong with it. I can't do that. I either have to lay off it or it goes up, so I think that would be a significant gap. I can hood my 3 deep 3 and hit it pretty low but it still gets up there and will get killed into the wind, at least here (that wind comes roaring off the gulf and if you don't have a low bullet shot its hard to play some holes).

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I walked the course yesterday with 10 clubs and scored the best round of the year. It just eliminates (around the greens) some guess work. It simplified my decisions and I was rewarded for it. Now, if I can just get myself to take the same clubs with me next time I play a round in a cart.

Driver: Mizuno ST-X

FW: TaylorMade Sim2 Ti (5 wood)

Hybrid: PXG Proto

Irons: Srixon ZX-5

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 (54* & 58*)

Putter: Cameron Squareback 2

I walked the course yesterday with 10 clubs and scored the best round of the year. It just eliminates (around the greens) some guess work. It simplified my decisions and I was rewarded for it. Now, if I can just get myself to take the same clubs with me next time I play a round in a cart.

Reminds me of when a football team simplifies its playbook due to its QB. The Ravens won a super bowl doing just this exact thing.

I think not carrying clubs is kinda silly - there is no way there is no club in the world that could help you, even if its something silly like a chipper or one of those automatic bunker wedges - but simplifying your choices can be really powerful, although counter-intuitive. For a long time I carried two drivers and no lob wedge. The second driver (an 8*, 46" double-X flex high balance point monster) almost never came out but it did on some absolutely wide open holes. I think there is huge merit to what you are saying in terms of simplification in that part of the bag, but I doubt that 10 clubs is optimal - there is some club somewhere that would help you do something, even if its just one shot (like a PM for deep rough lob shots, for example).

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Reminds me of when a football team simplifies its playbook due to its QB. The Ravens won a super bowl doing just this exact thing.

I think not carrying clubs is kinda silly - there is no way there is no club in the world that could help you, even if its something silly like a chipper or one of those automatic bunker wedges - but simplifying your choices can be really powerful, although counter-intuitive. For a long time I carried two drivers and no lob wedge. The second driver (an 8*, 46" double-X flex high balance point monster) almost never came out but it did on some absolutely wide open holes. I think there is huge merit to what you are saying in terms of simplification in that part of the bag, but I doubt that 10 clubs is optimal - there is some club somewhere that would help you do something, even if its just one shot (like a PM for deep rough lob shots, for example).

Maybe you're right. But, the course I play is pretty much dead FLAT. What not having all the wedges in the world did for me, was instead of getting cute with a soft high pitch, I instead used a lower lofted iron and got the ball running to the hole. Just reinforced (to me) what I should be doing way more often.

I never had more than a seven iron into a par 4 and the par fives, without having a fairway wood in the bag and trying to hit the ball as far as possible...I hit an iron for a specific distance into the green. It made me play "smart" golf.

Oh, and carrying 10 clubs made my back happier at the end of the round.

Driver: Mizuno ST-X

FW: TaylorMade Sim2 Ti (5 wood)

Hybrid: PXG Proto

Irons: Srixon ZX-5

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 (54* & 58*)

Putter: Cameron Squareback 2

Just looking to see if I'm missing something playing 14 clubs, but every club in my bag has a purpose (so no confusion), and even though I dont use every club every round, I hate to have a shot and not have the "right" club (right for me).

Yeah, you're kind of missing something. Every one of the 12 clubs has a purpose as well. For those playing 7 clubs, each of those clubs has a purpose as well. If rules were changed and 18 clubs were allowed, you'd quickly feel like you were missing something with just 14 clubs. If you plan your way around a course, knowing what clubs you've got and what they do, you're not missing anything...other than a sore shoulder:)

Just looking to see if I'm missing something playing 14 clubs, but every club in my bag has a purpose (so no confusion), and even though I dont use every club every round, I hate to have a shot and not have the "right" club (right for me).

Yeah, you're kind of missing something. Every one of the 12 clubs has a purpose as well. For those playing 7 clubs, each of those clubs has a purpose as well. If rules were changed and 18 clubs were allowed, you'd quickly feel like you were missing something with just 14 clubs. If you plan your way around a course, knowing what clubs you've got and what they do, you're not missing anything...other than a sore shoulder:)

Not sure I'm missing anything.... the rules call for 14, I cover certain yardages with certain gaps (where some have said less clubs have simplified their game, and improved their score). Less clubs to me would mean less coverage with stock swings, which is not for me.

As far as being planned, I'd most likely be within the top 10 most planned golfers you ever met, but things don't always go as planned!

Driver

4 wood

21 hybrid

5-9

46-52-58

Putter

How do you hit a low screamer out of the trees?

It seems fine, if the courses you play don't have woods. Otherwise I think that shot is missing.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Maybe you're right. But, the course I play is pretty much dead FLAT. What not having all the wedges in the world did for me, was instead of getting cute with a soft high pitch, I instead used a lower lofted iron and got the ball running to the hole. Just reinforced (to me) what I should be doing way more often.

I never had more than a seven iron into a par 4 and the par fives, without having a fairway wood in the bag and trying to hit the ball as far as possible...I hit an iron for a specific distance into the green. It made me play "smart" golf.

Oh, and carrying 10 clubs made my back happier at the end of the round.

I'll just leave this here. If you think laying up to a specific yardage is "smart golf" you should read this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Every-Shot-Counts-Revolutionary-Performance/dp/1592407501

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I did play with 12 all long the last season.

Driver

2hybrid

4hybrid

5-pw

50-56

Putter

This year im changing my wedge to a 51-57. With different bounces. Know my game better now. But when i dont carry and use mu push cart, i throw my 4 wood in there and my new toy: a 62*

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag