Which Rangefinder to buy?

So I am looking to order a rangefinder, but I can't decide which one. There is the Bushnell, Nikon, Leopold and then brands like Precision Pro.

What brand and model do you use and what has been your experience with each. Pro and Cons ... don't hold back.

If I can save some money that would be nice because there is alway something that I "NEED".

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Breaking 80 rangefinder. I got it for about $100 using a promo code off of reddit. I've had it for over a year now and it works beautifully. It's always within a yard of my brother's Bushnell at a fraction of the price. The pros are it's accuracy and ease of use. Cons would be that when you're about 220+ out, it's a little tough to get the pin locked on. For me though that's not a huge issue as it's really not key for me as from that distance, I'm just looking to hit the center of the green. I just need a ballpark figure to go off of and the location of the pin on the green.

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green

Titleist 915H 20° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-PW) - KBS Tour S+
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°/54°/58° - TTDG Spinner Tour
Seemore Nashville mFGP Blade

All depends on your budget. Some pricier models (I have Leopold) are worth it. Last longer, OLED display doesn't strain the eye, well built, not cheap feeling. I play tournaments and a lot of golf, so it was worth it to me. Their customer service is second to none.

But even the most basic ones will measure fairly accurate. Just not sure how long the displays/tech will work or what customer service they have. Good luck!

I'm using a Bushnell Tour X that I bought using a discount coupon. It locks on target quickly. It can be switched between red and black display. I don't really see much use for the red display.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Compare warranties. Rangefinders tend to quit working. Leupold just sent me a replacement for my 5 year old model. Sent me the newest model for free. I tried that with my previous Bushnell, they offered to sell me one at a slight discount. That is why I have a Leupold.

Golf models, I had a 1500 Bushnell w/slope and a GX 4i, now have a GX4i2

I've got a Breaking 80 rangefinder. I got it for about $100 using a promo code off of reddit. I've had it for over a year now and it works beautifully. It's always within a yard of my brother's Bushnell at a fraction of the price. The pros are it's accuracy and ease of use. Cons would be that when you're about 220+ out, it's a little tough to get the pin locked on. For me though that's not a huge issue as it's really not key for me as from that distance, I'm just looking to hit the center of the green. I just need a ballpark figure to go off of and the location of the pin on the green.

I just saw this offered again the other day. And I believe it now has a lifetime warranty. I'd prolly grab one if I didn't already own a rangefinder.

I had serval Bushnell and currently use Z6 original. I tested many along the way and they all work well. It's matter of preference and budget.

I would recommend buying the smallest that fits your hand and don't spend too much. I mainly use my watch for general yardages and hazards. Laser only gets used on several approach shots and par 3's.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Leupold for me. Used a hunting model for years, then bought my oldest daughter her own rangefinder for Christmas 3 years ago (Leupold golf, non-slope model) and liked hers so much got myself one, too! Accurate, reliable, batteries just keep on going.

I had one that quit working after more than two years. I contacted Leupold and they asked me to send it in, which I did. They ended up sending me a brand new unit of the most current model. I was certainly surprised by that as the original was no longer under warranty. I just thought they would fix it and bill me the cost of the repair.

I had a Bushnell Neo X GPS watch that crapped out right after the warranty expired, but I called Bushnell anyway to see what they would do they told me to send it in. They sent back a brand new watch of the updated model the Neo XS at no cost. I know we are talking how about laser range finders and not watches but I wanted to share the customer service I encountered with Bushnell.

I have the Leupold GX-2i2 which I just bought for $169 off eBay. It replaced a Callaway Micro Laser that I got off Amazon for $150, which I returned after a round b/c it was inaccurate, slow, and cheap feeling. Plus I wanted slope. The 2i2 is small and well constructed without being really expensive. The other one I would consider if I wanted to spend more money is the Nikon 80i VR, but that goes for $450. The VR really makes a huge difference. Just try it out at a store.

I had the Leupold GX-4i2 and the 2i2. I bought them due to outstanding reviews of customer service. In the end, though, it took longer to hit a target than my old Bushnell, and while that's not a big deal for some, it was bothersome to me. Went back to Bushnell with the Tour V4 and haven't looked back. If you are OK spending the money, that is a great rangefinder.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for a rangefinder for a good price. I saw the Nikon Coolshot 20 for $160, read a bunch of reviews and ordered one. It doesn't have all the fancy stuff like vibrating when you get a target or even slope (that version is much more expensive), but if you're looking for a no nonsense rangefinder, then I'd recommend the Coolshot 20.

I just got a Bushnell Tour V4 last week. Small enough to keep in pocket while playing and it can easily read flags on par fours out to about 350 yards. Super fast lock-on time for closer yardages. Currently on sale at all Bushnell dealers.

Edit: just saw a review of several rangefinders on My Golf Spy. The Bushnell's did quite well. Oddly no Leupold models were included.

https://www.Not allowed because of spam.com/the-best-laser-rangefinders-in-2017/

I like Leupold. Not only do they make very fine rangefinders, but there customer service is outstanding.

Good to hear, I am sending my GX 3i in, hopefully it gets fixed because I love it. I just bought a GX 2i2 for 150 so I hope it serves as a good backup until I hear back from Leupold.

How did you buy a Leupold GX-2i2 for $150?

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter

I'm going with leupold with this one. My uncle handed down me his Leupold gx-2i, recently I have had a hard time getting yardage on pins. I called customer service up and told them the issue, also mentioning I am not the original owner. They said no problem send it in and we will look at it and fix it with no charge. They have won me over as a customer for life.

I like Leupold. Not only do they make very fine rangefinders, but there customer service is outstanding.

Good to hear, I am sending my GX 3i in, hopefully it gets fixed because I love it. I just bought a GX 2i2 for 150 so I hope it serves as a good backup until I hear back from Leupold.

How did you buy a Leupold GX-2i2 for $150?

Close, $170: https://www.ebay.com/itm/391697024457

So I am looking to order a rangefinder, but I can't decide which one. There is the Bushnell, Nikon, Leopold and then brands like Precision Pro.

What brand and model do you use and what has been your experience with each. Pro and Cons ... don't hold back.

If I can save some money that would be nice because there is alway something that I "NEED".

I went through this same dilemma last season with the whole laser vs watch and slope vs no-slope debate. After lots of research and indecision, my girlfriend surprised me with a tectectec slope laser rangefinder for xmas. After using it for a handful of rounds and plenty of times at the range here are my thoughts...

About me; I'm a high single digit handicapper with a somewhat obsessive compulsive personality (meaning I like precision). I play 2-3 rounds per week and I like to play FAST. If I'm alone I can knock out 18 in under 2.5 hours. I thought I wanted the laser rangefinder.

About my experience using the laser; I don't love it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I dislike it. It slows you down, especially in a larger group when your buddies want you to shoot everything. It takes at least 2 or 3 attempts to confirm that you're shooting the correct target. At times, you may still be hitting something behind the pin (which I have done on more than one occasion and resulted in me air-mailing my approach). On top of that, I'm always worried about damaging it or having it fall out of the cart so it takes even more time to take in and out of the case. The slope function is almost useless because 90% of the time you're target is level. The other times its fairly easy to guesstimate how much to add or subtract based on common sense. I guess it's nice to have at the range but chances are you already know how far you hit your clubs which works just as well as using the laser.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish I had gotten a GPS watch. It just seems faster and easier to use/access. I thought that the precision of laser would suit me better but I was wrong. I can't imagine that brand to brand makes that much of a difference. But at the end of the day I'd recommend getting a watch.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish I had gotten a GPS watch. It just seems faster and easier to use/access. I thought that the precision of laser would suit me better but I was wrong. I can't imagine that brand to brand makes that much of a difference. But at the end of the day I'd recommend getting a watch.

The above quote is very good advice that I agree with. The watch is so easy and very accurate with a bit of common golf sense.