VOTE: What's the Best Driver of 2017?

Interesting that the Epic Sub Zero currently has more votes than the standard Epic. Way more tour play with the standard and I've heard retail sales are at least 3 to 1. Maybe even higher.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted M1 - the best for me, Epic SZ- the best seemingly for the guys here, and the Ping G - which is likely the best blend for those shopping off the rack.

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed LS 14.5* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

TSR3 21* Kai’li White 90S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck

Wonder how much it will change once the new ping driver comes.

Me too. The G is awesome but I agree with many that it's not the best sounding/feeling. They improve that, along with what other tech is in it, and I'd probably buy it.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Didnt vote for any of them.

Best of this lot are M1 and Cally Epic I suspect, but I have tried both and they cant "hold a candle" to my Cally V series 9.5 with Speeder 565 stiff for a 95 MPH swing speed.

My thoughts on the new tech? If Callaway made a proper titanium crown in the first place, they wouldnt get "Crown distortion" at impact and the jailbreak bars would be redundant. Its a case of; fix a weak crown with an otherwise unnecessary feature which probably creates other imbalances!

Bet you all two bob that this feature will quietly disappear within two club cycles! :derisive:

So I am curious why you say this... clearly you aren't familiar with MOI and Discretionary weighting then... A thicker / heavier crown takes weight away from the balance and perimeter of the club, reducing its MOI and making it less forgiving. This is the reason for the carbon crown anyways... reduce weight drastically over titanium and make the club more forgiving.

The technology won't go away, but I can see it being modified.

Also, The new Jailbreak Technology has proven to increase ball speeds on both robots and HUMANS! So essentially what your saying is no company has ever made a reasonable titanium crown, because no titanium crown driver ever made offers what Jailbreak does.

Me too. The G is awesome but I agree with many that it's not the best sounding/feeling. They improve that, along with what other tech is in it, and I'd probably buy it.

So they should improve the sound, feel and tech? sounds like your saying they just need to start over haha!

I voted Epic SZ, Epic, then M1 460. I also tested the M1 440 and M2. I've owned the LTD Pro and last years M2 was better IMO. I didn't see much difference between last years M2 vs this years.

In the end, it always comes down to what helps me most with my miss. Both Epic's did this best. I had pretty similar results with all of the M's on good for good but off center strikes weren't as friendly with the TM's.

The real battle was between the two Epic's.

This would be a interesting poll 5 months from now.

I voted for the JPX 900 mainly because I'm just really impressed with the design, the stock shaft, and its beautiful. And yeah it goes straight too. I currently game the 16 M2 and won't be changing anytime soon, but of the new drivers the one I'd really like to try is fhe f7. The LTD was awesome but the setup just didn't suit my eye. If the f7 has even the slightest improvement over the LtD than it's a huge winner. I guess I kind of want to hit the Epic too...

And I'm not sure if I was swinging poorly or tired or something when I hit the new M2, but the ball speeds were noticeably lower than what I get with the 16 version. Maybe it was the shaft.

Epic SZ for me. I tested the 2017 M line, GBB Epic and Epic SZ, King Cobra F7+ and the 917 D2. Epic SZ was the one for me hands down.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Always been a Callaway guy. Epic with t1100 75g/6.5 vs 917 stock diamana 70x. I wished all i could, Epic still couldnt catch up. To me Titleist feels better, and has more adjustments. Now just curious how the t1100 will fit with the 917...or if i can get my hands on a dual core xt

Financial Advisor (PM me)

Driver: Epic SZ 9*. Fuji Tour Spec VC 7.2 X + Tensei Orange V2 TX
Fairway Wood: Epic SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Black 6.5 85g (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC 8.2 or Atmos Black 80 TX)
Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC)
Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110
Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

2015 Evo X (Full Bolt Ons)
2017 Jeep Wrangler

• 3 weeks later...

Epic. Upgraded last week from a 910D2 that was super accurate for me. Tested a few 2017 drivers and the Epic won. Hopefully it lasts a while as all these modern composite drivers seem a bit fragile. Similar dispersion with it this week to my 5 iron...!

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

Professional fitting last week for a new Driver and Fairway wood. Fitting process determined shaft specs needed first, so then all heads hit using same specs.

Hit Titleist 917D2, Callaway Epic, Srixon (can't recall model), Mizuno JPX 900, TaylorMade M2 and Cobra King F7.

The F7 was clear winner, daylight second.

Lowest spinning, most accurate and longest Driver from the bunch.

Data measured by Trackman while I hit out onto a range, so actual ball flight could be observed.

I was totally surprised. Never had Cobra equipment. Never really considered it, but, WOW it has a massive stand out for me.

Best of this lot are M1 and Cally Epic I suspect, but I have tried both and they cant "hold a candle" to my Cally V series 9.5 with Speeder 565 stiff for a 95 MPH swing speed.

My thoughts on the new tech? If Callaway made a proper titanium crown in the first place, they wouldnt get "Crown distortion" at impact and the jailbreak bars would be redundant. Its a case of; fix a weak crown with an otherwise unnecessary feature which probably creates other imbalances!

Bet you all two bob that this feature will quietly disappear within two club cycles! :derisive:

So I am curious why you say this... clearly you aren't familiar with MOI and Discretionary weighting then... A thicker / heavier crown takes weight away from the balance and perimeter of the club, reducing its MOI and making it less forgiving. This is the reason for the carbon crown anyways... reduce weight drastically over titanium and make the club more forgiving.

Also, The new Jailbreak Technology has proven to increase ball speeds on both robots and HUMANS! So essentially what your saying is no company has ever made a reasonable titanium crown, because no titanium crown driver ever made offers what Jailbreak does.

Didn't the old Ping ISI have to be grandfathered in after they set COR limits...because the flat crown had no distortion = faster ball speeds. ??

Didn't the old Ping ISI have to be grandfathered in after they set COR limits...because the flat crown had no distortion = faster ball speeds. ??

I borrowed one once in a medal. Hit 14 fairways and shot level par. My short game and putting was poor at the time. I don't recall why I didn't buy one, but without doubt the best titanium driver I've ever used. These days I hit about 5 fairways, often on adjacent holes, with my 915 D3. I used to hit my old steel warbird better than any of the titanium drivers I've used recently. Should probably try a shorter shaft.

So they should improve the sound, feel and tech? sounds like your saying they just need to start over haha!

Improve the sound and feel. "Along with what other tech is in it": meaning: New tech is a given for a new driver.

That better for ya?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Taylormade m1

Epic SZ

Srixon z765 (yes it's that good)

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

Can we amend and the list and add the TM M2 2016 because it's better then all these drivers,,,,, lol

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the Epic Sub Zero currently has more votes than the standard Epic. Way more tour play with the standard and I've heard retail sales are at least 3 to 1. Maybe even higher.

I agree. I think a lot of people on here think they need the SZ and never tested the regular Epic. Standard is superior IMO.

I am not sure about this but I had the Ping TiSI, ugly but I hit it a ton. That and the old Mactec NVG were bombers for me back in the day.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I just recently was given a Titleist 917d3 in a golf tournament as a giveaway.

I am not a huge fan of picking a driver without testing it so I went to my local fitter and told him that I wanted to be fit for a driver.

He used Trackman and my results were as follows:

Titleist 915d3 (current driver)

-> Carry 249 yards, total yards 270

Titleist 917d3

-> Carry 255 yards, total yards 275 yards

Callaway Epic SubZero

-> Carry 266 yards, total yards 289 yards

The Epic SubZero was nearly 20 yards longer than my current driver which matched up to my experience on the golf course hitting a buddies Epic.

I don't remember all of my stats-

launch 13* average

Swing speed varied between 105mph

Angle of attach was 5* up

Neutral path

My biggest issue is low spin. My average poor shot is 1700rpms. My highest spin was 2500rpms. The low spinning shots are basically knuckleballs.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted Titleist D2, Epic Sub Zero and TM M2. I've hit all three plus a few others. Not much difference in overall distance between them and I do like the Titleist the most. Just something about how it feels to me and the flight I get the it. Fitting is key to any driver as I think the shaft has to fit the player more than the head does. I've demo'd the TM M2 twice & really like it too, but I broke the 2nd demo I half way through my round. The seam between the face and the crown cracked after hitting a drive too high on the face.

How did you break it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ping G400

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D