Tp5 from Project (a) ?

Morry

My daiughter has spent e last 2 years playing the Project(a) ball - 70 compression, great spin on wedges, etc

But

Swingspeed has moved from below 80 mph to over it now - approaching 85 on driver this Spring

Looking for views on moving to the TP5 ball (83 compression)

More effectively translate the driver distance, while 'feeling' similar on irons, wedge, putter....

she would like to stick with Taylormade

But I think 2017 proV or Chrome Soft (X) might also fit the bill?

Really looking for some guidance

Particularly with the change to TP5

Much appreciated

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a swing speed in 80's due to shoulder surgeries and picked up a sleeve of tp5 and tp5x and I have found the tpx to be the longest ball I have played, right behind the tp5. Also, let me state that I am not a taylormade fan when it comes to balls and usually play a pro v or even a 2 piece ball due to slow swing speed. I honestly did not want to like the tp5s, but the are SO good

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

Honestly, I don't think it's a big enough change in swing speed to make a significant difference.

Sorry....

She started using the pjt (a) at 65 mph and last year through 75 plus

Now that she is around 85, thinking it is time for a change that will carry here through 90 mph

Looking for some advice

Thank you

I have a swing speed in 80's due to shoulder surgeries and picked up a sleeve of tp5 and tp5x and I have found the tpx to be the longest ball I have played, right behind the tp5. Also, let me state that I am not a taylormade fan when it comes to balls and usually play a pro v or even a 2 piece ball due to slow swing speed. I honestly did not want to like the tp5s, but the are SO good

Great - thank you

Did you find the tp5 softer and more manageable on approach shots / putting though?

Or

Did coming from a pro v or 2 piece make you more comfortable with hardness?

Appreciated

I just don't see her swing speed making much of a difference. But I don't see swing speed making much of a difference for any of us, either. It's not as though a ball will "activate" new performance characteristics when you change from 85mph to 95mph.

If it was my daughter, I would go to Play It Again Sports and buy a dozen mixed brand balls in mint condition. Maybe some ProV, CS, CSx, TPx, TP, ZStar, ZStar XV, Supersoft, Project A, RZN Plat, Q Star, etc. Have her spend some time at the putting green and see which balls she likes the feel of. If she can't tell much of a difference, then maybe it's not worth putting a bunch more time into and just keep her playing the ProjectA.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I play the Project A at 112mph and they work just fine for me.I wouldnt say she is losing anything

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I play the Project A at 112mph and they work just fine for me.I wouldnt say she is losing anything

This. I switch up between srixon xv's, Bridgestone b330-s, and project (a)'s with a swing speed of 105 and have no troubles with any of them. I'm not sure why you would be considering for an "X" version of a ball for a swing speed of 85

I can tell you the experience my wife had with the TP5 - Her SS is right around the 80-85 mark as well.

I've never seen her hit the ball as far as she did off the tee. And I don't mean maybe... It was immediately noticeable. 10-15 yards. She was using Volvik Vivid before.

Good thing I prefer the TP5x because I'm not getting them back lol.

Buy a dozen TP5 to use for yourself and give her a sleeve. She will let you know if she likes them. Although the Project A will more than likely be fine for as long as she plays golf. I would avoid the CS X though, that a lot of people are saying feels too hard.

FWIW, my younger sister plays Varsity golf, she likes the Callaway SR1, so I stocked up for her when RBG had them in the ammo boxes. It helps her to know she has a ton of the same ball that will last her through next season. One less thing to worry about, all she needs to think about is improving her game.

I can tell you the experience my wife had with the TP5 - Her SS is right around the 80-85 mark as well.

I've never seen her hit the ball as far as she did off the tee. And I don't mean maybe... It was immediately noticeable. 10-15 yards. She was using Volvik Vivid before.

Great feedback

Appreciated

I was simply trying to determine if switching from a 70 compression to a 83 (tp5) or 90 ('17proV1) would be a good competitive call for her

Project (a) has been great

Just looking for some advice, experience and that elusive edge we all seek

Thanks

Any other views or observations welcome please

Great feedback

Appreciated

I was simply trying to determine if switching from a 70 compression to a 83 (tp5) or 90 ('17proV1) would be a good competitive call for her

Project (a) has been great

Just looking for some advice, experience and that elusive edge we all seek

Thanks

Any other views or observations welcome please

Lots of data and views out here

Seeking views and takes

Please

Thanks

I have played both Project A and the TP5. These balls are VERY similar in feel. the TP5 might be a touch firmer with less long game spin but more short game spin. I know it's old hat, but get a sleeve of both and have her them and see which she prefers.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I have played both Project A and the TP5. These balls are VERY similar in feel. the TP5 might be a touch firmer with less long game spin but more short game spin. I know it's old hat, but get a sleeve of both and have her them and see which she prefers.

This is exactly what I had hoped to hear

much appreciated

looking for all that plus thinking better wind management with the tp5

Thank You

I agree with buying different balls and let her try them for herself. Of course, for myself, the highest compression I can still compress gives me the most distance if that is her only thoughts. And living in the NC mountains temperature effects that a lot. I would bet she would love the Bridgestone B-330 RX if she tried it. The difference in the Project A and the new tp5 is not very noticeable for me. Project A less spin and a little less distance.

I agree with buying different balls and let her try them for herself. Of course, for myself, the highest compression I can still compress gives me the most distance if that is her only thoughts. And living in the NC mountains temperature effects that a lot. I would bet she would love the Bridgestone B-330 RX if she tried it. The difference in the Project A and the new tp5 is not very noticeable for me. Project A less spin and a little less distance.

excellent feedback and concur. appreciate the rx suggestion - will test as well

cheers

p.s. classic profile pic....

I switched to the Project (a) last year and liked it a lot. I'm an old guy with a 93-95 driver speed. This year, on the advice of my golf instructor, I picked up a box of the tp5s. I live in the Boston area so no outside golf yet here (and it's snowing hard here so we can celebrate April Fool's Day properly). But I did have a trip to Arizona. For me, the tp5s gave me noticeably more length. I didn't notice much difference in the short game, but since I haven't played much, my short game was a mess and it's hard to compare balls. I just found that when I hit the tp5 well, compared to hitting the Project (a) and a couple of other balls I tried, the tp5 just went further, with no difference in dispersion. I'm not sure I'll bother using the tp5 when I'm playing at my local muni 9, but I'll certainly be using if often this summer.

I switched to the Project (a) last year and liked it a lot. I'm an old guy with a 93-95 driver speed. This year, on the advice of my golf instructor, I picked up a box of the tp5s. I live in the Boston area so no outside golf yet here (and it's snowing hard here so we can celebrate April Fool's Day properly). But I did have a trip to Arizona. For me, the tp5s gave me noticeably more length. I didn't notice much difference in the short game, but since I haven't played much, my short game was a mess and it's hard to compare balls. I just found that when I hit the tp5 well, compared to hitting the Project (a) and a couple of other balls I tried, the tp5 just went further, with no difference in dispersion. I'm not sure I'll bother using the tp5 when I'm playing at my local muni 9, but I'll certainly be using if often this summer.

Exactly the feedback i was looking for

much appreciated

let me know how it goes if get out again

thank you

It really sounds like you've predetermined the answer. Everyone who lauds the new ball gets a appreciative response. But the people who say they are playing the ball with speeds in excess of 100 mph are ignored. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but just how it appears to me.

FWIW. I'm in that 105-108 range and love the Project a.

Regardless of all that, best of luck finding the best ball for your daughter, has to be fun to get to be involved with trying to help her game.

Totally appreciate your comments and you are not totally off, but

All i have determined is that i should test the tp5 against the project(a) for the reasons i was hoping - length off driver and irons, better wind management, equivalent (or maybe better) spin off wedges / around green and similar soft feel putting

At her stage of development and competition, 5 or 10 more yards is golden for being able to hit greens and score - you know what i mean

Project (a) is an unreal ball and she loves it so much, all i can maybe sneak in there is another TM ball ...hence the other reason to wonder if the tp5 can help at the margin

thank you

it is a ton of fun

cheers

TP5x launches and flies higher than most premium tour level balls. Higher launch and flight is typically desirable and should add some yards. Might be worth a look as well. My daughter just switched to this from the Srixon Z star SL. Limited testing due to weather, but so far she likes it.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

It really sounds like you've predetermined the answer. Everyone who lauds the new ball gets a appreciative response. But the people who say they are playing the ball with speeds in excess of 100 mph are ignored. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but just how it appears to me.

Regardless of all that, best of luck finding the best ball for your daughter, has to be fun to get to be involved with trying to help her game.

I agree. Apparently OP was just looking for an echo chamber

thanks OP

keep up the value add

thanks OP

keep up the value add

Read my first post, I tried to provide value. You instead decided to only laud anyone who agreed with you. Whatever. Buy your daughter a bunch of tp5x and chrome soft x. I'm sure they will work great with her 85 mph swing speed

thanks OP

keep up the value add

Read my first post, I tried to provide value. You instead decided to only laud anyone who agreed with you. Whatever. Buy your daughter a bunch of tp5x and chrome soft x. I'm sure they will work great with her 85 mph swing speed

apologies!

didn't mean anything at all and appreciate the post

i thought you misunderstood me when i read it by asking why i was considering a "x" version - i never was - was asking if any project (a) users had tried the tp5 (non-x)

i did kinda answer it and a number of other responses (i was travelling for a day or 2 and tried to answer a few at once)

mentioned the 83 compression (tp5) vs 70 (pjt a) and 90 (17 prov) to help clarify what i was looking for

i didn't mean anything untoward or to not acknowledge a disagreement

i know that this is all "6/one half dozen" stuff - just looking for any experiences or views on the 2 balls - i do suspect they are more similar than different

thanks - apologies and appreciated