SuperSpeed Golf training system

Ok. I made it from page 1 through page 5. I'm pretty sure my manager knows that I didnt get any work done this afternoon. I'm going to do a DIY. I have a few questions which werent answered (or i didnt see) in the first 5 pages.

Can I use a Garmin TruSwing to measure swing speed? I know its just a calculation and might not be as accurate as a radar, but its all I have. I'd prefer not to put in another $100 for the radar you guys have.

I'm a slow swinger. I should be significantly faster. I say that because I'm fairly muscular and have decent flexibility. However, my driver SS is a measly 92-95. I know that alot of that has to do with technique. Finally, the question. Will a training regimen like this have higher gains for someone that has a slower initial SS, someone with a higher initial SS, or can both expect to see gains?

Thanks!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Ok. I made it from page 1 through page 5. I'm pretty sure my manager knows that I didnt get any work done this afternoon. I'm going to do a DIY. I have a few questions which werent answered (or i didnt see) in the first 5 pages.

Can I use a Garmin TruSwing to measure swing speed? I know its just a calculation and might not be as accurate as a radar, but its all I have. I'd prefer not to put in another $100 for the radar you guys have.

I'm a slow swinger. I should be significantly faster. I say that because I'm fairly muscular and have decent flexibility. However, my driver SS is a measly 92-95. I know that alot of that has to do with technique. Finally, the question. Will a training regimen like this have higher gains for someone that has a slower initial SS, someone with a higher initial SS, or can both expect to see gains?

Thanks!

Good questions. Interested as well.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Back with an updated progress report. I started the level 1 protocol, adding in the kneeling swing. One thing to note - I was doing 5 reps in the intro protocol versus 3, so that might explain why I got some of those gains early.

• The kneeling swing definitely feels slow to me - I'm curious where other people are with that. What stands out to me (and this might be obvious) is that its so much easier to generate incremental speed when you've got your legs involved. In other words, I just can't feel or find that extra gear when I take my legs out of the equation.
  • I hope I can still go higher, but it feels like I've gotten close to my max the last week, hitting 140 with the green a couple of times, 135 with blue, and 125 with red.
  • For some reason, my lefty swings have felt a bit awkward the last week, and dipped in speed a bit.
  • Between some tough work outs and a lot of speed training, I'm taking 4 days off. I think some rest will be helpful.
  • Swinging the driver after the session (not hitting a ball) I'm around 120. If I'm anywhere near that on the course I'll be thrilled. Finally will get a chance to get out on the course this weekend in Chicago.

@left rough, those are some really interesting numbers. You ever hit lefty in baseball or something?

tripp - actually, while being right handed, I did play baseball through high school (and in softball leagues since) batting left handed. I also separated my left shoulder last fall so perhaps it's just taking some time for me to trust my swing with full extension which may be limiting my gains. But man, I'd love to have your gains, I'm going to keep at it, moving to Protocol 1 starting tomorrow!

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

Back with an updated progress report. I started the level 1 protocol, adding in the kneeling swing. One thing to note - I was doing 5 reps in the intro protocol versus 3, so that might explain why I got some of those gains early.

• The kneeling swing definitely feels slow to me - I'm curious where other people are with that. What stands out to me (and this might be obvious) is that its so much easier to generate incremental speed when you've got your legs involved. In other words, I just can't feel or find that extra gear when I take my legs out of the equation.
  • I hope I can still go higher, but it feels like I've gotten close to my max the last week, hitting 140 with the green a couple of times, 135 with blue, and 125 with red.
  • For some reason, my lefty swings have felt a bit awkward the last week, and dipped in speed a bit.
  • Between some tough work outs and a lot of speed training, I'm taking 4 days off. I think some rest will be helpful.
  • Swinging the driver after the session (not hitting a ball) I'm around 120. If I'm anywhere near that on the course I'll be thrilled. Finally will get a chance to get out on the course this weekend in Chicago.

@left rough, those are some really interesting numbers. You ever hit lefty in baseball or something?

May have been asked before but are you just tracking average of your 3 swings at each config (rh, step rh, lh, step lh, etc)?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks!

Hey Blink,

I think it's fine to use any device you might have to measure your swing speed. Just continue to use the same device so you can monitor your increases. The swing speed radar is just to track your progress and, imo, assuming you have decent mechanics and generally know how to generate speed in the swing, it isn't all that necessary during the training. I probably only pull it out for 1 of every 5 workouts. I can pretty much tell how fast I'm going by the level of my "whoooosh" sound as I swing. I barely use the radar at all and I still managed to gain an easy 10mph since starting in February.

I'd think almost anyone would see gains from this program, provided that they haven't already reached some sort of physical limitation.

I'm taking the fastest, throwing away any outliers. Average would probably be more scientific, but I know that SuperSpeed wants you to go through the activities quickly. Plus, we're going for top speed anyhow.

Blink- I'm no expert, but I wouldn't let perfect get in the way of good enough with the reader. As long as your dispersion in each set is reasonably tight, youll learn what you need in terms of trends. My swings are typically within 10mph of each other each set.

On the gain potential, would have to think that a good athlete swinging slow has a lot of upside. Wouldn't expect there's anything conclusive out there to prove that though.

For you guys who are going through the protocols then taking it to the course. When you do your practice swing make sure you take one relaxed swing then one full rip practice swing. If I swing easy on my practice swing then hit, I see my speeds while hitting the ball around 105-108mph. If I take a full rip right before I hit I see speeds of 113-116mph and a couple random 118's.. Seems you need one good fire of the fast twitch to get them ready to go.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

For you guys who are going through the protocols then taking it to the course. When you do your practice swing make sure you take one relaxed swing then one full rip practice swing. If I swing easy on my practice swing then hit, I see my speeds while hitting the ball around 105-108mph. If I take a full rip right before I hit I see speeds of 113-116mph and a couple random 118's.. Seems you need one good fire of the fast twitch to get them ready to go.

Interesting. I typically don't take any practice swings on full swing shots, just short game stuff. I'll have to give this a try.

Officially started yesterday. Work/life got in the way. Goal is another session tomorrow.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I don't think the forum being quiet means that people aren't using the program anymore - there's only so many updates that are worthy of making to the forum.

I'll be on a trackman on Thursday for the first time since starting the program. Can't wait to see what the numbers say. Took my ssr out with me this past weekend and was 116-122 on it.

2 weeks in now but I'm waiting another few weeks before I start looking at any trends. One thing I've noticed is how my left handed swing is beginning to feel quite a bit more comfortable now. I actually hit 92 mph with the fast end of session swing from that side yesterday. I almost hurt myself the first session trying to swing left-handed at speed!

Hmmm...a lot of people were trying this program, and now this thread has gone strangely quiet. I have switched back to a different program for a couple weeks for a variety of reasons, but am resuming the superspeed program again on Thursday.

Actually, I was just hoping to keep it a secret...lol. I've completed 3 protocol 1 sessions and I am still gaining speed. Averaged 308 off the tee during my most recent round (Sunday). I'm up 30+ yards since February.

2 weeks in now but I'm waiting another few weeks before I start looking at any trends. One thing I've noticed is how my left handed swing is beginning to feel quite a bit more comfortable now. I actually hit 92 mph with the fast end of session swing from that side yesterday. I almost hurt myself the first session trying to swing left-handed at speed!

This virtually mirrors me. I'm not measuring speed with the sticks though as all the matters to me is how the training translates into increased club-head speed.

Left handed swings are definitely getting easier and too early to tell about results with the driver but I will check back in for sure when I am far enough into the program to offer feedback

Can someone please verify my understanding of the initial phase? The way I read the material is as follows (I'm a lefty):

3x swings Green LH, 3x swings Green RH.

Repeat Blue and Red. Do 3 sets.

3x step swings Green Lh. 3x step swings Green RH.

One LH swing with Green (going off memory, could be 3).

Total swings = 109

Can someone please verify my understanding of the initial phase? The way I read the material is as follows (I'm a lefty):

Total swings = 109

That's mostly right. You finish with three dominant side swings with the green club, absolutely as fast as you can swing them.

I followed the intro protocol exactly and didn't bother to use the swing speed radar after the second session. I didn't want to feel good or bad about a workout based on the radar numbers. It was easier for me to stay consistent by just monitoring my real world results on course. I finally did get back on a simulator after 6 weeks which confirmed I'd gained about 12 mph on my max swings.

One other note, I believe Trip did five reps per set during the intro phase and he made incredible gains, so you might consider it if you think your body is up to it.

Tuff too tell too be honest? I have been doing the system 3x a week since mid January. I started out with a 104 ss and now I am at 106. I have been swinging as hard as possible and not sure this is correct? Now I try too swing as fast as possible. I went to Palm Desert last month and was clocked on a simulator at 114 come too find out it was juiced 8mph an hour. I honestly have to say I am discouraged but still sticking with it for the time being.

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Thanks for the confirmation. I've been making every swing as fast as I can possibly make it. Is that correct or should I back off a litttle bit as I go through the G,B,R progression?

Definitely no backing off. Full tilt every swing.

I did step up to 5 reps early on and had great gains. However, I think my advice would be to follow the program. While I'm very happy with my results and will stay with this, it seems I've plateaued. The extra reps might have helped me get results quick, but they would have come either way. Going to 5 is a higher risk of injury. And I'm sure part of this program is muscle confusion- so there prob a benefit in going from 3 to 5

Thanks again. One of the reasons I wanted clarification is the injury risk. that >100 swings at full tilt seemed a bit much but I'm good if that is what the program calls for. I'll just have to make a conscious effort to use the bigger muscles, especially during the latter half of a training session.

I started the program in earnest Monday and did a couple sessions in the previous two weeks just to get a feel for everything. The gains people have been reporting are encouraging so I'm excited to give this a go.

Total swings = 109

So three sets? I thought the intro program was a once through process.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Total swings = 109

So three sets? I thought the intro program was a once through process.

It is. The introductory protocol is 39 swings total.

3 swings on dominant side green / 3 swings on non-dominant side green

3 swings on dominant side blue / 3 swings on non-dominant side blue

3 swings on dominant side red / 3 swings on non-dominant side red

3 step through swings on dominant side green / 3 step through swings on non-dominant side green

3 step through swings on dominant side blue / 3 step through swings on non-dominant side blue

3 step through swings on dominant side red / 3 step through swings on non-dominant side red

3 swings on dominant side green

Sorry now I'm confused again.

Option A) 3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant = 1 set.

Option B) (3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant) x 3 = 1 set

It's a big difference in total number of swings and the whole quantification of sets in the video is where my confusion comes from.

Option A = 39 swings in total

Option B = 111 swings in total (number differs from my first post as I couldn't remember if final green was 1 swing or 3).

Thanks again

Ah ok thanks for clarifying that!

Ive been doing the 111 swing method and I'm dog tired after. Seemed counter intuitive as once you get tired, mechanics break down and usually has an adverse effect (also piggy backs on my comment around injury).

39 makes much more sense. Oh well, does that mean I can skip the next few workouts since I've already done 111 three times over the past two weeks? :)

Sorry now I'm confused again.

Option A) 3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant = 1 set.

Option B) (3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant) x 3 = 1 set

It's a big difference in total number of swings and the whole quantification of sets in the video is where my confusion comes from.

Option A = 39 swings in total

Option B = 111 swings in total (number differs from my first post as I couldn't remember if final green was 1 swing or 3).

Thanks again

Sorry. I think that was my fault since I said you were "mostly right." I obviously didn't read it too closely.

It's Option A. 39 swings total. If I had tried Option B, my arms would probably have fallen off. :derisive:

3 reps X 13 times = 39

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*