Labrum surgery. Anyone had it?

onlyomaronlyomar Members Posts: 467 ✭✭
Go under the scope next Tuesday for a torn labrum in my left shoulder. Anyone have the same? How was rehab? How long before you could play?

Comments

• Arizonalefty59Arizonalefty59 Members Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, been there done that. Only thing I had on my side was my age, I had it done in 2012 when I was 18 so I recovered a little faster.

Rehab sucked and it was 8 months before I could start swinging again. I think the worst part was trying to sleep with that sling on. The good news is that my shoulder has never felt better in my life. I lift and workout everyday so it's been awesome.

Best of luck!
    Titleist 915 D2 w/ Tour GP-6x
    Callaway Big Bertha V-Series w/ Attas 4U-7X
    Titleist 915H 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 85X
    Titleist 712 AP2's w/ X100's
    Titleist Vokey SM4's 52/56/60
    Odyssey Pro Type PT-82
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1112997/az-lefty-titleist-and-cameron-junkie-pic-heavy-11-05-update#latest
  • Rob G 89Rob G 89 Members Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 30, 2017 #3
    tore it in 99 in high school played 5 years of college football then, after working for awhile the pain was unbearable and I built up enough time to get 100% disability pay. Had the surgery in 08, the extreme pain is gone however it just doesn't feel the same. I think you can get back golfing within 6 months or so. I wasn't golfing back then but I started weightlifting relatively fast.

I went to rehab 1 time, it was ridiculous it was a 30 co pay per visit. I told the guy he goes here your athletic just do these exercises at home.
  • PapaJohickPapaJohick ShortKnocker Bombs Charleston, SCMembers Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    its a process back to golf. Initially pain will suck and you'll feel like it's. It getting any better for about 4-6 weeks (not always as some people feel great within 6 weeks and they can start doing more intense rehab). Just be patient and trust the doc and physical therapist.
    Forever Changing at this point.......

TG2 Podcast Guest: 
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Had my right shoulder done in 2012 or 2013. As with any surgery of this type, healing time and rehab is key. With that being said, I was hitting golf balls within 6 months. The golf swing honestly wasn't that impacted pre-surgery, it was throwing and shooting hoops. Post-surgery throwing is still an issue, but I can play basketball freely and golf swing is still fine. Find a good doctor who's well-versed in the shoulder and has a history of labrum surgery.
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - TBD
    TBD
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • ShooterMcGavin311ShooterMcGavin311 Members Posts: 224
    edited Apr 1, 2017 #6
    I tore my labrum and separated my shoulder two years ago. (I am 23) The first doctor suggested surgery while the second suggested rehab due to the long recovery process. I did 12 weeks of rehab after 1 month of rest and my shoulder feels great even though the labrum is still torn. If anything, my game improved because it is harder to become "disconnected" throughout the swing. I hope everything goes well for you
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Callaway XR Pro 9* Diamana White 82 x
    Callaway XR Pro 14* Tour Ad-BB 7x
    Callaway Apex UT 18* KBS C-Taper x
    Callaway Apex Forged (3-6) KBS C-Taper x
    Callaway Apex MB (7-PW) KBS C-Taper x
    Callaway Mackdaddy 2 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60*
    Seemore FGP Milled
  • Ayoung19Ayoung19 Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm nearly 23, have had a torn labrum in my right shoulder at least since I was 16 from pitching. My orthopedic surgeon actually recommended not having surgery, and I haven't. It doesn't bother me doing anything really besides high velocity throwing and some stuff in the gym. Having heard some of the horror stories about rehab and how its not even 100% sure to improve things I think I will keep holding off until something changes, and just keep the supporting muscles strong. I sit behind a desk now and play a lot of golf, so I'm not worried about it getting any worse.

Best of luck with your operation OP, make sure to listen to your PT and get a good one (I did not - was told for a couple years I had "loose joints" which come to find out is a side effect of a torn labrum, who would've thought! Was real pissed when I found out).
    TM M1 460 Fujikura Pro 73X
    TM M2 3 wood Fujikura Pro 73X
    TM UDI 2 iron UST TSPX 85X
    Adams A12 Pro Hybrid Matrix Ozik 100X
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged 5-9 Nippon Modus 105S
    Titleist SM6 46F 52F 56M 60M
    TM Tour Spider Red
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    t4t3r wrote:

Had my right shoulder done in 2012 or 2013. As with any surgery of this type, healing time and rehab is key. With that being said, I was hitting golf balls within 6 months. The golf swing honestly wasn't that impacted pre-surgery, it was throwing and shooting hoops. Post-surgery throwing is still an issue, but I can play basketball freely and golf swing is still fine. Find a good doctor who's well-versed in the shoulder and has a history of labrum surgery.

How torn was yours? I have a tear where I function mostly normally (sore during athletic activities), but it is too large for PT alone. My doctor told be 3 months to normal physical activity.
  • onlyomaronlyomar Members Posts: 467 ✭✭
    OK, so I had my surgery this past Tuesday. I've been on Percocet since then so the pain has been very minimal up to this point. Although I have barely any strength in my shoulder as I can barely lift my arm. I am doing some very minor physical therapy movements but nothing that involves lifting my arm. I go back in a week for my second follow-up with the surgeon. We will probably start PT then.

Apparently the tear was moderate. He described it as a slap tear with a significant issue being frozen shoulder. He thinks the frozen shoulder might've been causing much of my pain rather than The labral tear.
  • JayLeftyJayLefty St. Louis, MOLefty Boomers Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Please take care of yourself. I have had three labrum surgeries on my right shoulder -- 03, 04 and 09.

Rehab is crucial. Be careful. It can retear and you may need another operation.
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5* w/ UST Elements Chrome 95FT
    Srixon Z U85 18* w/ X100
    Srixon Z U65 20* w/ x100
    Callaway X Forged '18 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 3 120X
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 54* and 58* w/ x100
    PXG Mustang
  • onlyomaronlyomar Members Posts: 467 ✭✭
    edited Apr 15, 2017 #11
    Almost two weeks out and still having quite a bit of pain. Feel pretty crappy tbh. PT (Pain and Torture) starts Thursday.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,061 ClubWRX
    I have a really bad tear. Shoulder dislocates very easily. Dumb me put off surgery when I was young. Now i have 3 kids so it may never happen. My shoulder isnt in pain but im slmost handicapped given my limited range of motion.

Gl in your rehab
  • Kuhndogg8Kuhndogg8 AZMembers Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Just starting to come back from a SLAP Lesion repair. Qualifier, this is my 2nd surgery on this shoulder (rotator cuff impingement before) and had an extraordinary recovery the first time. I had a SLAP Lesion tear from twelve to two and had surgery on October 5th (6 weeks ago). Got clearance from the Doctor yesterday to start swinging again. My shoulder is an anomaly in that 2 weeks after surgery I was already at 100% range of motion, actually better than my non-operated shoulder. Felt like I could probably go out and play then but wouldn't dare risk it without Doctor clearance. Hit the range for the first time today. Bit of a slow warm-up, but finally found confidence and was able to make 100% swings with a distance difference of probably 1 club. As I finish up PT over the next 6-8 weeks, I suspect the strength will come back and everything will be normal.

Again - I qualify, this is not normal. After my rotator cuff impingement, I was playing tennis after 17 days. I definitely feel too young to have these issues (33), but am so grateful I bounce back immediately.

Titleist 718 AP1 Nippon Modus Tour
    Ping G30 Aldila NV
    TM Stage 2 RBZ 3w/5w/Rescue Aldila NV
    TM Tour Preferred 56 & 50
    Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file