Going Pro: The A, B, and C game test.

chrismikayla

Last year I shot 69 and 86 in tournaments and I turn 50 in December.

I'm going for the senior tour next season. Langer and Couples and Stricker look out !!!!!!! An erratic 3 cap is coming to tour school !!!!

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going for the senior tour next season. Langer and Couples and Stricker look out !!!!!!! An erratic 3 cap is coming to tour school !!!!

Yeah at age 42 I had 116 swing speed and never missed a fairway and played weekly to about a 10 cap. Now I am 51, 110SS, semi-retired, pound balls like Vijay and play to a 6 WTF happened to my dream? I would take a tournament 69 and run away never to be seen again.

I'll see your 69/86 and raise to a low of 70 and a high of 94. I've had to turn down dozens of sponsor offers.

If you shot even par in every round, here is what you would have done on the PGA tour this year.

Safeway cut

Sanderson cut

Shriners cut

Mayakoba cut

RSM cut

Sony cut

Careerbuilders cut

farmers $15,008

Waste Man. cut

Pebble $14,184

Riveria $15,610

Honda $21,120

Valspar $21,451

Bay Hill $43,002

Puerto Rico cut

grand total $130,375

15 events 9 cuts, 6 made cuts

G430 LST 9°  Autoflex505x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
Mizuno 245 Modus120x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

I made one birdie today on a course I've belonged to for 40 years..........and lost $4 in our money game. We play a different level of golf.... :)

.........but our game would have made an entertaining R rated video.

Playing topless again, eh?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Good read! I think the most difficult part in putting yourself on the ABC scale is an accurate assessment of where your game was that day independent from score. It would be easy to say I shot 71 so that was B game. In order to make this chart for yourself and see how often you bring A or C game to the table you have to know what those ranges are based on the quality of the strokes that day.

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

If you shot even par in every round, here is what you would have done on the PGA tour this year.

Safeway cut

Sanderson cut

Shriners cut

Mayakoba cut

RSM cut

Sony cut

Careerbuilders cut

farmers $15,008

Waste Man. cut

Pebble $14,184

Riveria $15,610

Honda $21,120

Valspar $21,451

Bay Hill $43,002

Puerto Rico cut

grand total $130,375

Interesting, but now lets compare that to costs to play in those........Travel, food/lodging, entry fees and miscellaneous extras. Most likely it would cut that figure almost in half, but i would take it and smile all day. Make 70K for 15 weeks at something i love, count me in...........I really didn't think that par shooting would generate that much. Thanks for the info..........

Safeway cut

Sanderson cut

Shriners cut

Mayakoba cut

RSM cut

Sony cut

Careerbuilders cut

farmers $15,008

Waste Man. cut

Pebble $14,184

Riveria $15,610

Honda $21,120

Valspar $21,451

Bay Hill $43,002

Puerto Rico cut

grand total $130,375

The trouble is that shooting even par doesn't get you on the PGA tour.

I did a similar thing a few years ago. Shooting 2 under the course rating every day would make you $0 for the season. The reason shooting "Par" can make a player money is that in tournament like the US Open, he can realistically have a chance of winning. The trouble is you'll never qualify for the US Open shooting par. And "par" for the US Open is closer to 80 then 70.

If you averaged 5 under the course rating for the entire season in 2013, you would have not made enough money to retain your card.

It took 64 to make the Monday qualifier this week at Shell Houston Open and there was 6 players tied playing off for one spot. There was a 62 and 2 63's. Good luck trying to make the tour.

Greg

Can you imagine going off and shooting 65 in a qaulifier and having the 10th best score?....dam. 65 usually does it

Very interesting article. Then you factor in the course difficulty these guys face every week (the Shell measures like 7,500 yds and greens rolling 13 or so), that's a tall task. The cut last year was Even.

Just took a look and Adam Scott has the longest active streak at 25 cuts made. Really says something about what Tiger did with 142 in a row.

Obviously, those two are world class golfers and the article is a guideline, but hot dog, it's tough to eat out there even bringing the B game.

Very interesting article. Then you factor in the course difficulty these guys face every week (the Shell measures like 7,500 yds and greens rolling 13 or so), that's a tall task. The cut last year was Even.

Just took a look and Adam Scott has the longest active streak at 25 cuts made. Really says something about what Tiger did with 142 in a row.

Obviously, those two are world class golfers and the article is a guideline, but hot dog, it's tough to eat out there even bringing the B game.

I think that's exactly the point sir! EVERY golfer is going to bring an A, B and C game a certain amount of times in a year. In 25 events (100 rds) if AS brought his A game 20 times, B 60 and C 20 all that means is his B and possibly even C game makes the cut most weeks. And if he brings his C on Thursday, as the article suggests, he has the mental fortitude and physical ability to shoot A golf on Friday when it matters.. at least 25 times in a row now! Crazy

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

I'm 30 and broke 80 twice last year.....so I'll be Pro by.....2060....after I discover the Fountain of Youth?

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

There are 125 players on the PGA Tour. There are approximately 26 million golfers in the US. The percentage of golfers on Tour (just using the US number of total golfers), is: 0.00000481.

You don't have to be merely good to play on the PGA Tour, you have to be outf***ingstanding.

This is a really good point, but there aren't 26 million adult male golfers who play in tournaments and and are viable players on the PGA tour for x or y reason. There are 26 million people (including women and children I'd assume) who play golf at least x times a year. I would compare it more to 125/ total number of competitive male professionals and amateurs 18-49 etc.

Taylormade M1 440, Fujikura Atmos TS Black 70 TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade M2 Tour T3 12*, Atmos TS Black 80TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade P7-TW 3-PW, DG TI X100
Vokey SM7 56.14F / 60.12D, DG S400
Byron Morgan 615

There are 125 players on the PGA Tour. There are approximately 26 million golfers in the US. The percentage of golfers on Tour (just using the US number of total golfers), is: 0.00000481.

You don't have to be merely good to play on the PGA Tour, you have to be outf***ingstanding.

This is a really good point, but there aren't 26 million adult male golfers who play in tournaments and and are viable players on the PGA tour for x or y reason. There are 26 million people (including women and children I'd assume) who play golf at least x times a year. I would compare it more to 125/ total number of competitive male professionals and amateurs 18-49 etc.

One year we figured it out pretty thoroughly and we came up with approximately 4500 golfers around the world with a +4 handicap or lowerthat are chasing competitive golf. Basically there are 15 to 18 new spots per year on the PGA Tour. So really once your reach at least that level, It's more like you have 4500÷17=264.

So if you're a tournament handicap only +4 or lower you have a 1 in 264 chance of qualifying for the tour. And of those approximately 18 guys to qualify for the tour each year, only five of them keep their cards for the following year .

So you're saying there's a chance !!

It took 64 to make the Monday qualifier this week at Shell Houston Open and there was 6 players tied playing off for one spot. There was a 62 and 2 63's. Good luck trying to make the tour.

Greg

No problem, all I've got to do is shoot a couple under my age, and I'm there.

Actually guys I believe the correct wrx answer is "sure I could do it too on the courses they play. Runway fairways that give you 40+yards of roll and greens that are so smooth you cannot miss." :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Greg

No problem, all I've got to do is shoot a couple under my age, and I'm there.

Actually guys I believe the correct wrx answer is "sure I could do it too on the courses they play. Runway fairways that give you 40+yards of roll and greens that are so smooth you cannot miss." :)

Don't forget you'll never spray since the gallery, tents, stands..etc will catch your ball and keep it in play. And last, what about the trampled down rough from the gallery. Too easy.

My apologies to Adam Scott, went from 1st to last on the active cut streak in Houston. The "random guy on a golf forum" curse, happens every time.

My apologies to Adam Scott, went from 1st to last on the active cut streak in Houston. The "random guy on a golf forum" curse, happens every time.

Do you also pick the Sports Illustrated covers? :swoon:

Honestly, most can't even make the test to become a teaching pro, much less a touring one. I'll just be happy I have a job that pays me a good salary and I still get to play the game I love.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Do you also pick the Sports Illustrated covers? :swoon:

I juggle between SI and Madden covers. They won't give me the Wheaties gig though...

Greg

That's the thing - a lot of people asking the same 'ole question about their chances rarely even play in local tournaments. If they did they would understand the level of talent just to win a city tournament is likely higher than what they are currently bringing to the table, and yet they ponder about their chance to get into top tier professional tournaments - I have a better chance of learning how to create portals to an alternative dimension ... people are strange

Excellent points By Benny and Greg and this is the best thing that someone could do if they had any hopes dreams or desire to Play for Pay is to just enter some of the local Open Tourneys and see how they stack up.

As Greg mentioned, the medalist in the Houston Open Q had a TEN UNDER 62. Jason Gore led 6 guys into sudden death for the last spot, having been two off of the pace at 64.

This is JUST to earn the right to tee it up on Thursday for the OPPORTUNITY to earn a dime!! It is a mental and psychological roller coast that very very very very few are equipped to deal with.

Most get a bonified woody with three consecutive birdies or a red front nine ;)

If you came to town, teed it up on Monday and blew it out with a 65, SEVEN UNDER PAR??

Sorry, try again next week ;)

Soooooo, before even thinking about this kind of stuff, and I'm by no means being negative however take Benny's advice and enter, compete and dominate local Open and District events and THEN turn your sight on the Tour!!

I mean, come on, what are the odds of some guy making an NBA roster??

Banging heads on Sunday with the Big Boys??

Lacing up the skates in the NHL??

Serving it up with Roger or Rafael??

There is a guy on here that had a 61 from on a Championship track at 7100yds+ a few months ago and if 98% of ya did this, that's TEN UNDER PAR, you'd be chirpin squakin and askin when where and how do you tee it up with the Big Dogs, lol

Ya know what he did????

Showed up the next day for his day job ;)

That's because he's "been there done that" regarding making the Tour and what he did THAT round, THAT day Tour Boys are a threat to do EVERY time that they plant the tee.

Greg is very kind in wishing you luck in trying to make the PGA Tour

I'll just wish ya the very best in your Local Events :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

Great post as always​ Richard. The discussion is always interesting because the scratch/plus HCPs i play with struggle with one or two bad shots and what people forget is they focus on their best round and use that as the benchmark. Unfortunately when the worst round happens it all goes awry and to get anywhere near the Tour mentally it can't be allowed to happen.

Safeway cut

Sanderson cut

Shriners cut

Mayakoba cut

RSM cut

Sony cut

Careerbuilders cut

farmers $15,008

Waste Man. cut

Pebble $14,184

Riveria $15,610

Honda $21,120

Valspar $21,451

Bay Hill $43,002

Puerto Rico cut

grand total $130,375

The problem for Jim Par, who shoots par in every round as well is that most of the events where Even gets you decent money are invitationals, majors, WGCs etc that he might not get into. He'll get a start in an event like the Career Builders and the winner will be -25 and cut -4 probably. Same with the Challenge Tour, just a birdie race, rarely set up for grinding.