10 Finger Grip

mkotthoff

So lets have everyone describe how you postion your hands with your 10 finger grip.

I'm using the hand and finger position that "Slicefixer" describes in his 'Encyclopedia Texarkana'. The only variation is all fingers are on the grip, with hands "packed" together relatively close so that my hands don't end up being spaced much further apart than they were with an interlock. Lifeline of the right hand is on the top/right hand side of the left thumb.

Tell tale positive sign: hands are much less sore after a range session and the callus(sp?)rub marks that I've always hand with the interlock, are not being rubbed/irritated at all. I'm pretty excited about this grip.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Andyinthewoods' timestamp='1281157137' post='2623903']
Why change what has obviously been working for you?
[/quote]

I'm 15 and I've been playing for about 3 years now. I'm looking to find something that works better (aren't we all). I just don't understand why it's immediately discounted because it's "goofy." I play golf with a 10 finger grip and no glove. Why? I played baseball since I was 3 and it feels natural and I just flat out don't want to buy gloves. But that's apparently "wrong."

I'm not at all against changing (glove or grip) if I'm given a better reason than, "Well there are only a couple of guys on tour who use the 10 finger grip and even fewer who don't use a glove."

It's all very confusing because my mentor's issue with my grip is the fact that my right hand tend to get a bit strong and he thinks that a interlock or overlap would allow me to get a weaker grip (I play Kenny Perry style and he wants me to move to a grip that would allow me to cut the ball easier). Then my instructor feels that for me, a 10 finger grip is the way to go. The difference is my mentor doesn't believe in "eliminating a side" as my instructor does.

Anyway, I apologize for the long rambling post, but WOW I just don't know what to do.

[quote name='Sabaka' timestamp='1280958450' post='2618831']
I use the 10 finger for all clubs except the putter. For putting, I use the interlock. I get some looks from time to time but I have tried other grips and could never make them work.

As the saying goes...."to each their own"!

Play what feels natural and works best for you.
[/quote]

This is exactly how I do things. I'm a 5.1 index and have played with the 10 finger/baseball grip since I started playing. Like many have said already, I took my baseball grip and tweeked it for golf because that's what felt natural. I played baseball for 10 years before I got serious about golf and the 10 finger grip felt natural because of this. However, the 10 finger golf grip is pretty different from a proper baseball grip. I used to putt with a 10 finger grip also, but changed about 5 years ago in an effort to get less right hand action in my putter.

[quote name='mkotthoff' timestamp='1281236473' post='2625367']
[quote name='Andyinthewoods' timestamp='1281157137' post='2623903']
Why change what has obviously been working for you?
[/quote]

I'm 15 and I've been playing for about 3 years now. I'm looking to find something that works better (aren't we all). I just don't understand why it's immediately discounted because it's "goofy." I play golf with a 10 finger grip and no glove. Why? I played baseball since I was 3 and it feels natural and I just flat out don't want to buy gloves. But that's apparently "wrong."

I'm not at all against changing (glove or grip) if I'm given a better reason than, "Well there are only a couple of guys on tour who use the 10 finger grip and even fewer who don't use a glove."

It's all very confusing because my mentor's issue with my grip is the fact that my right hand tend to get a bit strong and he thinks that a interlock or overlap would allow me to get a weaker grip (I play Kenny Perry style and he wants me to move to a grip that would allow me to cut the ball easier). Then my instructor feels that for me, a 10 finger grip is the way to go. The difference is my mentor doesn't believe in "eliminating a side" as my instructor does.

Anyway, I apologize for the long rambling post, but WOW I just don't know what to do.
[/quote]

The only reason you would need a glove is if the grip tends to move in your hands. Most benefit from the extra traction that a glove provides. Fred Couples doesn't use one.

I disagree with your mentor. A 10 finger grip makes it easier to position your bottom hand in a more "neutral" position, because you don't have to worry about the connection of an interlock or overlap. You simply place your bottom hand wherever you want it and it's done. You probably have a "palmsy" right hand grip if you're stuggling with it being too strong. Try getting it more down in the fingers.

BTW, for me, a 10 finger grip is easier to play a cut with. It seems to take out some extra right hand involvement.

i play to a 7 with a 10-fingered grip. i started golfing with an interlock but once i tried the 10-finger everything else felt loose and compromised.

i do think it frees up the right hand to turn over more easily, this can be a good or bad thing depending on your shot pattern.

Until tonight, I have been using a ten-finger grip. Just got back from the driving range where I was trying out a new 2-hybrid club with a stiff-flex shaft. Most of my other clubs are regular flex (including a 3 and 4 hybrid), but I thought I'd try out a stiff-flex and see what happens.

Well, sure enough, my shots were hooking (where I almost always slice) due to the fact that my swing speed was not fast enough. Disappointed and frustrated, but not ready to give up on my beautiful new 2-hybrid, I decided to try an interlock grip.

WHOA.

The interlock grip, in my view, helped me to loosen my grip tremendously. By relaxing the muscles in my wrist/forearms/etc. more than I did with a ten-finger grip, my swing speed increased dramatically. The 2-hybrid was carrying just under 250 yards straight as an arrow multiple times in a row.

When I tried out my other irons, the results were great. While I do (psychologically) feel I have more "control" with a ten-finger grip, I believe most experienced golfers who recommend an interlock will say to "Let go, Luke" and trust that the club: (1) won't go flying out of your hands; (2) will travel faster; and (3) will contact the ball just fine if your swing and body mechanics are good.

I am just starting out in the wonderful (and addictive) world of golf. No flames, please. These are just my observations and experience, which could very well be completely wrong.

• 2 years later...

Just came across this post...

I just switched to a 10 finger grip on my putter and my wedges and any shot I need to "control". I find that I don't have as much club head speed (although I haven't tried to hit a full shot with this grip yet) but what I gained in control and also added spin, due to the fact that I am able to pinch the ball better, is more than enough to justify using my 10 finger. I was having issues hitting the low flight high spin spots with my 60 degree I was leaving the club open through impact due to the hands traveling so fast through impact the clubhead can't catch up. Well I switched to the 10 finger and now I feel like I have all the control of the club face all in the right hand. With my normal Vardon grip I feel a lot of pressure in the inside of my right wrist through impact but with the 10 finger I feel the lag in my fingers... anyways, I gained a lot of control with my wedges switching to the 10 finger.

Good luck.

And to answer your question... I can't figure out why instructors don't like the 10 finger. To many instructors try to put everyone in the same damn box and golf is definitely played outside the box.

[quote name='xmanhockey7' timestamp='1365482593' post='6790837']
I used the 10 finger grip around the green but outside of that I interlock. Been doing it since I started seriously getting into golf when I was about 11. Dad made me grip that way and I've never changed.[/quote]
I'm the same way. 10 finger around the green, only I use the Vardon on full shots.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1281170165' post='2624060']
So lets have everyone describe how you postion your hands with your 10 finger grip.

I'm using the hand and finger position that "Slicefixer" describes in his 'Encyclopedia Texarkana'. The only variation is all fingers are on the grip, with hands "packed" together relatively close so that my hands don't end up being spaced much further apart than they were with an interlock. Lifeline of the right hand is on the top/right hand side of the left thumb.

Tell tale positive sign: hands are much less sore after a range session and the callus(sp?)rub marks that I've always hand with the interlock, are not being rubbed/irritated at all. I'm pretty excited about this grip.
[/quote]

So how do you guys hold your 10 finger grip? Searching the web some have their [color=#282828]left thumb extended down the shaft[/color] in the right hand palm. Others go straight baseball style. Which is correct?

[quote name='Catfan38' timestamp='1424060702' post='10961521']

So how do you guys hold your 10 finger grip? Searching the web some have their [color=#282828]left thumb extended down the shaft[/color] in the right hand palm. Others go straight baseball style. Which is correct?
[/quote]

True "baseball style" is an absolute no go for anyone who is serious about golf. A good 10 finger grip is not a baseball grip by any stretch of the imagination.

I still place the grip in my hands the same way I did, when I started using it...as outlined above

• 1 year later...

I played an interlock grip for a long time and about 2 years ago I switched to a 10 finger grip because I was missing right too much. Changed my game, I am a low single digit handicapper and I am a believer that it will add distance for everyone except very accomplished players. My uncle who has always helped me with my game, and is a golf instructor and carries a 0 HCP into his mid 60s has switched to it and has stated that he would have used it his whole life if he could go back. Feels very sturdy and powerful. You will hit the occasional nasty hook but that nasty hook is packing some serious ball speed so it is actually kind of a satisfying miss.

Dr:  Titleist TSI3 Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 

3W: Taylormade SIM Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

UW: Callaway UW 19 Accra TZ5 100TX
or
New level Utility iron Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 Onyx
Vokey SM8 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold tour issue black onyx x100 (s400 58)
Taylormade Spyder Custom

I switched to 10 finger because interlocking hurts my pinky and index finger that are interlocked. I'm sure it's some swing fault i have but after switching to 10 finger I don't feel like it's any different performance wise.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

• 4 weeks later...

From a physics standpoint , a 10 finger grip is slightly more powerful because your lower hand is closer to the COG of the club and further away from the fulcrum point (bottom side of your upper hand). Therefore its like using a 'set' force further away from the fulcrum point of a lever and creating a larger turning 'Moment' (ie. Turning Moment = Force x distance from fulcrum).

This extra turning moment (Torque) with a 10 finger right hand grip can provide extra help to rotate your left forearm to square the clubface in the late downswing (especially if you haven't got very strong forearms).

From a physics standpoint , a 10 finger grip is slightly more powerful because your lower hand is closer to the COG of the club and further away from the fulcrum point (bottom side of your upper hand). Therefore its like using a 'set' force further away from the fulcrum point of a lever and creating a larger turning 'Moment' (ie. Turning Moment = Force x distance from fulcrum).

This extra turning moment (Torque) with a 10 finger right hand grip can provide extra help to rotate your left forearm to square the clubface in the late downswing (especially if you haven't got very strong forearms).

Reading this while wondering if putting Nutella on a Pop-Tart is a stellar idea.........

Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?

Everyone will probably say, "well no pros have a 10 finger grip, they all interlock or overlap, so if you want to get any better, you have to change."

Well Jonathan Vegas and Scott Piercy, both PGA players, use the 10 finger grip... which means its possible to be world class with your grip. Keep what works. I've even considered going to a 10 finger grip myself :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with this full fingered grip and based on what I've seen on SkyTrak over this winter's swing work, I believe its here to stay. Longer, straighter, more consistent.

I want to call on instructors (Mr. Waldron??)) on here to please provide some guidance/provide checkpoints to ensure those of us using this are doing this correctly. Right now, my two thoughts with this grip are :

1. Long left thumb

2. Pressure Point #3 (knuckle of right index finger pressed firmly into the shaft at 3 O'clock.

I've been experimenting with this full fingered grip and based on what I've seen on SkyTrak over this winter's swing work, I believe its here to stay. Longer, straighter, more consistent.

I want to call on instructors (Mr. Waldron??)) on here to please provide some guidance/provide checkpoints to ensure those of us using this are doing this correctly. Right now, my two thoughts with this grip are :

1. Long left thumb

2. Pressure Point #3 (knuckle of right index finger pressed firmly into the shaft at 3 O'clock.

Ten fingered just one aspect of what I call the Power Grip. Long left thumb is one of the keys for sure. Gripping in lead hand in the fingers and not in the palm is another. So is a 90 degree angle of handle to the palm or a slight diagonal of no more than ten degrees. The "Hook" or "Trigger" configuration of the trail hand index finger with a gap of about 1/4 inch or a bit more is another.

10 fingers on the club means greater traction which also means you can apply less grip pressure when swinging a club a certain speed (than if you had 9 fingers on the grip).

PS.

A TGM proponent has replied back to me saying the below:

In a TGM swinger (which is the swing technique used by the majority of pro golfers), the right hand should only apply push-pressure above the coupling point at PP#1. By adopting a Vardon grip (or interlocking grip) rather than the baseball grip, the right hand can ride higher up the grip so that the base of the right palm can apply maximum pressure against the base of the left thumb at PP#1. If a golfer uses a baseball grip, most of the right hand's push-pressure will be applied below the coupling point, and this will predispose to flipping. I personally think that a baseball grip is only suitable for TGM hitters.

10 fingers on the club means greater traction which also means you can apply less grip pressure when swinging a club a certain speed (than if you had 9 fingers on the grip).

PS.

A TGM proponent has replied back to me saying the below:

In a TGM swinger (which is the swing technique used by the majority of pro golfers), the right hand should only apply push-pressure above the coupling point at PP#1. By adopting a Vardon grip (or interlocking grip) rather than the baseball grip, the right hand can ride higher up the grip so that the base of the right palm can apply maximum pressure against the base of the left thumb at PP#1. If a golfer uses a baseball grip, most of the right hand's push-pressure will be applied below the coupling point, and this will predispose to flipping. I personally think that a baseball grip is only suitable for TGM hitters.

Nothing wrong with a 10 finger grip, I've played pretty decent golf over several years with all 10 fingers on the grip.

It works great for those that create power with their arms, hands, wrists and upper body, provided that you place fingers properly where the hands don't interfere with each other.

Having said that, I now prefer the overlap (Vardon) because it provides a bit more control and power with less effort for my swing.

1. Long left thumb

Ten fingered just one aspect of what I call the Power Grip. Long left thumb is one of the keys for sure. Gripping in lead hand in the fingers and not in the palm is another. So is a 90 degree angle of handle to the palm or a slight diagonal of no more than ten degrees. The "Hook" or "Trigger" configuration of the trail hand index finger with a gap of about 1/4 inch or a bit more is another.

Thank you, Jim!

While I like the enhanced trailing hand (right for me) contact of the interlock, my right pinky would eventually start to scream. Played a few years with the Vardon and had some good rounds, but nothing felt as natural as the 10 finger. Threw in the towel and have been using it the last few seasons and am totally happy with the results. I've found that once I settled on the comfortable 10 finger, I could begin tweaking other areas to achieve desired launch, trajectories, accuracy, whatever.

And while I did fear the snap hook long ago, it hardly ever creeps in now. Keep it simple and enjoy the game is my advice.

Nike driver that looks like a Christmas tree ornament
Wilson ProStaff 3 hybrid stock UST 
Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
Vokey 52 (old)
Acushnet Bullseye putter with Ping grip

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting on the range today and the 10 finger grip seems to give me more stability through impact. If one has small hands/fingers, the Vardon grip just feels wrong. My right pinkie finger is not long enough for the first joint (nearest its knuckle) to curl and clamp around the left forefinger first joint (above its knuckle). And when I try and get that pinkie to wrap around that forefinger properly, the whole right hand has to rotate around a bit. This means that the pad of my right thumb can't cover and press down properly over my left thumb. It makes the whole grip feel insecure with gaps between the club shaft and hands whereas it should feel like plasticine with any air gaps squeezed out. Also , by forcing my right hand to rotate around a bit , I don't get that feeling of the clubface matching the orientation of my right palm through impact.

I've posted this 'you tube' video on another thread but here it is again showing how massive Vardon's hands were, especially his fingers, so it made sense for him to wrap his pinkie finger around his forefinger. But if you have small hands/fingers , it just doesn't seem right from a biomechanical perspective to copy that grip unless you have very thin golf grips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5IcSScvPc

So imho, having a 10 finger grip increase surface area contact between your hands/fingers on the grip, therefore improves traction which means exerting less pressure (which could limit tension in the hands/wrists/forearms).