How are you starting your season?

MtlJeff

I don't think we've done a thread like this....but anyway, simple question: How do you feel about your game going into this season and what are you looking to get out of it? (if you're a west coast guy your season has started and we all hate you----reply anyway)

I probably feel better about this year than any time in the last 5-6 years. I got some distance back due to a workout program, i'm hitting the ball really , really well (it doesn't mean much but my scoring average in virtual golf was around 71). I'm really comfortable with my swing and grip for the first time in a while. And i have a full bag of stuff i was professionally fit for

Me and my wife are both talking about this summer as being our last full-out sports year before "other priorities" get in the way. (she is a competitive horseback rider)....And i feel really good that it could be a good one.

I have my first outdoor round tomorrow. If i'm ever going to win a club championship or something, this might be the year. Had my last indoor range session today and left with dime sized dust marks on my irons and a 283 carry into the LM they have on site with my driver.

It's gonna be a good year!!!!

What are you guys thinking?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I also have my first round tomorrow. Made some significant swing changes through the winter and feel pretty good about it. Also, after getting back into golf 4 years ago, I finally feel I have a much better understanding of the golf swing and more importantly, what it is I do wrong instinctively.

Also picked up a set of MB's but didn't get rid of my G30's. Gonna be interesting playing a set of irons that will be very honest about how I'm hitting it. This summer will be more about really focusing on good swing mechanics vs score. I'm expecting my game to be much improved from tee to green.

I'm also feeling better about my short game and short game tools. I've always had a very good short game, but this year I have a short game philosophy and tools to match that philosophy.

Ultimately hoping to get in about 30 rounds this season. Most of my time is devoted to my son who's a AAA baseball player. Lot's of practices, instruction and games that fills my time. I do manage to get him out on the course about 5 or 6 rounds a year which is always an absolute joy for me.

We'll see how it all goes. Wishing everyone an awesome golf season :-)

I decided to make a major swing change a couple months ago, so my main focus has been trying to get comfortable with it. My contact is not good right but I know it's the right thing to do long term. I've done this before and I was in good shape by June so I'm still feeling confident that it will click here soon.

I will have a late start due to a several week bout of pneumonia. I hit a few balls this past weekend and it was not pretty after almost 5 months of not touching a club. I am optimistic though and after a few practice sessions and a practice round or two I should be back in form (as it is for a 17 HCP) by May.

So far I have moved my clubs from my golf closet at home to the corner of my office behind my desk....because I can now see them - I'm getting mentally prepared. Occasionally I will take a wedge out and work on my grip while talking on the phone.

One week from this Thursday I am venturing out to the course.....This is all after playing 9 holes in 18 months. Been a busy time but 2017 is my little anticipated comeback.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I was fortunate enough to play and practice all winter. I am starting my year with very high expectations... which have been tempered with reality. My goal was to get myself to scratch and I am hoping it comes this year. Started with several rounds in the low-mid 70's but them some rounds near 90 reared their heads. I need to become more consistent with my short game and get my head on right.

Played a few casual rounds (75, 71) on an easy course that 69/122. Have a 2 man event this weekend and first round of a match play event May 7. First stroke play event is later next month too. Hope to fair well in some of these smaller tourneys and continue to build up my game with the ultimate goal of some larger amateur tourneys.

I had my handicap down to the lowest it has been in many years by the end of last season. I was playing some very good golf for me and really enjoying it. I decided to make a pretty big change in my swing that will pay off in the long run. So far this season I have played 3 rounds and 2 of them were some of the highest scores I have had in years. My short game seems to have been the hardest hit by the swing change. I hope to work everything out by the end of this season.

I think you'll have a good year too Jeff, and hopefully the 'other priorities' are at least something that you and your wife will do together.

My league starts tomorrow so I'm excited about that. 51 years of playing now, so instead of looking ahead to the season with statistics/distances/scores etc (not that they don't count) I am looking forward to another season of what finally dawned on me just a few short years ago. And that's looking at the game in a way as to enjoy it more. The outdoors, the people I'm with, the best attitude I can have, good health still. The things maybe I didn't think so much about when I was younger, or if I did, I didn't appreciate them the way I do now. That's how I'm starting my season, and what I'm looking to get out of it is being able to look back on this season like I did at the end of last season, knowing I appreciated every round, enjoyed the courses and fresh air, etc. It's become 'wish I knew then' things, but golf for me now is the game I always wanted it to be but didn't know it. Funny thing is, I still play well and so all of that hopefully will keep me going for a long time still.

BTW, hope you win your club championship!

I live in Ohio but due to the mild winter I have got 10 rounds in so far this year and none were played under 50 degree weather. I am still a beginner as I just picked the game back up after a 12 year layoff from last time I played and even before the layoff could never break 108. I have a new bag of clubs and have been working on fixing what I know is wrong with my swing, I also have 3 lessons to take by July. I have shot between 90-99 six times this year which is a first for me as I had never broke 108 before this year so I am excited !!

One very unusual thing so far this year in Chicago has been the wind. The last two Saturdays have featured constant winds from 25-30MPH. The first par 3 we played was 137 to the stick but straight down wind. The pin was on the front side of a serious slope. Tried to be smart and hit a 56 degree wedge figuring it would be short and to my utter shock, it flew to the back edge. I'm not a GolfWRX big hitter but that was crazy. Also had a driver straight into the wind and hit it pure. It went about 215.

Ended last season still not reaching one goal. Par on either 9 on my course is a 35. I had many 36's on them, but never broke thru. This year the 1st round we were able to get in was late February. March was hit & miss with snow storms. Once in early March I had a 35 on the back...so made that goal early. Then April 1st I did it again on the back nine. Now to show that the world is in harmonic balance, this last Saturday I had a 50 on the front & a 40 on the back. Then went out yesterday to have a 41 on the front & 39 on the back. On call next weekend so will have to wait 2 weeks to see what awaits me on the next round.

This is my second year of really committing to playing golf. Had about a 28 HC all of last year, but overall the game was definitely improving. Stretch goal is to get to an 18.1 HC, definitely looking to drop to low 20's. Already played more sub-100 rounds this year than all of last year and hoping to play more sub 100 rounds than over 100 rounds. Also looking to break 90 this year.

Well, a windy and rainy first round but shot a 76 with one birdie. Very solid.....just gotta switch putters from my Odyssey to my SGC as the lighter weight and insert feel just isn't cutting it outdoors.

I murdered the ball with my Epic today. I'm pretty sure i carried one about 270 into the wind on one hole.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I spent the winter diligently working out and taking the Tathata course. I was in terrific condition, and I started hitting the ball fairly well. Then I attended a week-long golf school in Pinehurst where I expected to get my distances calibrated and shake the rust off my short game. But, the teachers there said my Tathata swing looked like garbage, and they changed it. I've played like crap ever since. I had to completely abandon my tournament schedule, and I'm back grinding on the range. I've never been so confused in my entire golfing life. I'm pretty pissed.

I went into this season feeling very optimistic. I made a significant equipment change. Last year I had modern clubs; all regular flex. This year I have vintage Ping clubs including a set of Ping Zing blonde woods. I have also worked on my setup. My swing motion will always stay the same. But my setup needed some work and consistency. So I built a system for my setup and it seems to work so far. I truly feel that my game is my own now.

Feel great about my game. I'm just over working myself right now with 3 jobs. I'm at a lot of courses but, not playing so I will start working on game in June as thing start to slow a little. I'm not restricted by weather just by work. It does hurt that the weather has been fantastic in NC for the most part with some outstanding days in Jan. and February.

My goal for the season is to finally get my handicap to 0 or better, and am already on the right track with a few low 70s rounds. Just need to keep playing consistently which might be tough with work now, but hoping I can figure something out to play 2-4 rounds a week. Honestly just pleased to be playing again, this winter felt especially long.

Played three 18-hole rounds this past weekend (including Good Friday). Prior to that, I got 15 and 14 practice holes in respectively in the week before. Shot 83, 79, and 84 so not a bad start. I ended last season as a 7.8, the lowest I've ever finished a season. So I'd like to continue to build on that "success".

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Well my Spring cap is as high as its ever been

Played 18 holes in a monsoon on Saturday morning. 2 club wind. It was also about 40* F with the wind chill. Of course Sunday it's warm and sunny

Parred the first 4 holes and the last 8. Shot 81. Won $50. My rain suit was soaked thru and my toque weighed about 3 pounds

Could have been worse - so I got that going for me

I will note that the 71-75's I was shooting in the golf sims all winter (Pebble, Kingsbarns, Kiawah etc) have not exactly carried over

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9