SuperSpeed Golf training system

No worries, that's what the forum is about. But when someone said they did 5 sets I'm thinking there's no way I can do that unless I do a full round of P90x first. The way I was performing sets up to this point, 5 sets would equal 183 swings and that would just be super human.

Anyways thanow again for everyone's help. I'm definitely looking forward to 2/3 fewer swings. Doing the full 111 swings was a chore and I was really starting to question the training.

Tuff too tell too be honest? I have been doing the system 3x a week since mid January. I started out with a 104 ss and now I am at 106. I have been swinging as hard as possible and not sure this is correct? Now I try too swing as fast as possible. I went to Palm Desert last month and was clocked on a simulator at 114 come too find out it was juiced 8mph an hour. I honestly have to say I am discouraged but still sticking with it for the time being.

I'm a little disappointed, too.

I'm three sessions in and I only track the last three swings at the end. I also give one full out rip with a normal gamer driver.

In three sessions, I hit my fastest numbers with the stick in the first session. I've picked up a slight amount with the driver, but nothing earth shattering.

I've gone:

131,127,131 real club 123

120,128,122 real club 124

126,127,128 real club 126

I played Monday and didn't really notice any gains. For reference, with my SSR, I've always been about 110-114 when hitting a ball. On Flightscope, I'm more like 105 with real ball speeds in the 154-156 range. I feel like flightscope tracks ball speeds better than club speeds, so that's what I'm really after. I hope that after 7-8 weeks of this, I'll see ball speeds in the mid 160's, but I'm not optimistic.

OTOH, my lefty swing has gotten much faster.

Anybody have any advice on how to generate more speed?

Tuff too tell too be honest? I have been doing the system 3x a week since mid January. I started out with a 104 ss and now I am at 106. I have been swinging as hard as possible and not sure this is correct? Now I try too swing as fast as possible. I went to Palm Desert last month and was clocked on a simulator at 114 come too find out it was juiced 8mph an hour. I honestly have to say I am discouraged but still sticking with it for the time being.

I'm three sessions in and I only track the last three swings at the end. I also give one full out rip with a normal gamer driver.

In three sessions, I hit my fastest numbers with the stick in the first session. I've picked up a slight amount with the driver, but nothing earth shattering.

I've gone:

I played Monday and didn't really notice any gains. For reference, with my SSR, I've always been about 110-114 when hitting a ball. On Flightscope, I'm more like 105 with real ball speeds in the 154-156 range. I feel like flightscope tracks ball speeds better than club speeds, so that's what I'm really after. I hope that after 7-8 weeks of this, I'll see ball speeds in the mid 160's, but I'm not optimistic.

Are those last swings with the lightest club? If so, that's wild that you swing the driver as fast there as the green club which is 20% lighter.

I wouldn't get discouraged after 3 workouts....

I've picked up a slight amount with the driver, but nothing earth shattering.

I've gone:

I'm confused. By your own account you've gone from "110-114" on the SSR with your real club up to 123, 124 and 126 (increasing each session) and you are disappointed? After only three sessions? I'm not sure what you expected. According to the manufacturers you can expect a 3-8% increase, which you're already seeing. The entire point of the program is to make the immediate fast twitch post session improvements (your jump from 114 to 124) permanent. From their site: "A 3% – 8% increase is common after just the first use. Our studies find that performing 3 workouts per week over a 6-week period will make this increase permanent. Speeds then continue to increase working through progression of the protocol levels."

It takes time to set in. I was wondering if I blew $200 a couple of weeks in too. I made huge jumps in weeks 5-7. Stick with it.

Sorry now I'm confused again.

Option A) 3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant = 1 set.

Option B) (3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant) x 3 = 1 set

It's a big difference in total number of swings and the whole quantification of sets in the video is where my confusion comes from.

Option A = 39 swings in total

Option B = 111 swings in total (number differs from my first post as I couldn't remember if final green was 1 swing or 3).

Thanks again

Sorry. I think that was my fault since I said you were "mostly right." I obviously didn't read it too closely.

It's Option A. 39 swings total. If I had tried Option B, my arms would probably have fallen off. :derisive:

The way I read it, it is only the 39 swings. I had to re-read it a few times just to confirm and even watched and re-watched their youtube video to confirm --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0C...VFY0XeZg-Bx8guq

Sorry now I'm confused again.

Option A) 3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant = 1 set.

Option B) (3 swings red dominant, 3 swings red non-dominant) x 3 = 1 set

It's a big difference in total number of swings and the whole quantification of sets in the video is where my confusion comes from.

Option A = 39 swings in total

Option B = 111 swings in total (number differs from my first post as I couldn't remember if final green was 1 swing or 3).

Thanks again

Sorry. I think that was my fault since I said you were "mostly right." I obviously didn't read it too closely.

It's Option A. 39 swings total. If I had tried Option B, my arms would probably have fallen off. :derisive:

The way I read it, it is only the 39 swings. I had to re-read it a few times just to confirm and even watched and re-watched their youtube video to confirm --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0C...VFY0XeZg-Bx8guq

I'm all set now and agree that 39 is the way to go. I did my routine today and it's so much more manageable than 111 swings. It's the pamphlet you referenced though that threw me for a loop. I interpreted it as 3 sets of 6 swings per color, 54 swings normal stance and 54 more stepping. Which made sense at the time when they show the last step as one set.

I would have preferred they say, "one set Red, one set Blue, etc". Moot point now I suppose but it would have eliminated any confusion for me. I guess I could have also asked you guys before I started but what fun is that?

I've gone:

I'm confused. By your own account you've gone from "110-114" on the SSR with your real club up to 123, 124 and 126 (increasing each session) and you are disappointed? After only three sessions? I'm not sure what you expected. According to the manufacturers you can expect a 3-8% increase, which you're already seeing. The entire point of the program is to make the immediate fast twitch post session improvements (your jump from 114 to 124) permanent. From their site: "A 3% – 8% increase is common after just the first use. Our studies find that performing 3 workouts per week over a 6-week period will make this increase permanent. Speeds then continue to increase working through progression of the protocol levels."

It takes time to set in. I was wondering if I blew $200 a couple of weeks in too. I made huge jumps in weeks 5-7. Stick with it.

Help me please as I started the program on Jan 12th and have done it by the book 3 days a week. I have seen 3% still. Any thoughts or help would be grateful?

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Ward,

Not sure what to tell you. You're a +2.8, so I doubt it's a mechanical issue. I just try to use ground forces and swing the sticks as "fast" as possible, not as hard as possible. Get the club loaded on the backswing and squat and turn as hard and fast as possible in transition. Then the arms and club just sort of whip through.

I think just swinging these every other day has improved my mechanics, since I'm striking the ball better overall. So I'd guess the mechanical improvements are important in feeding my speed increases.

I also do compound lifts three days a week at the gym, but I was doing that for years before starting the speed training. I'm 38, only 5'7", 160 lbs, but I always had decent fast twitch athleticism (played point guard in high school, center field, etc.). I'm sure that plays some part.

The only other thing I mentioned in one of my previous posts was that around 4-5 weeks in I was feeling rundown and took a full six days of rest. Up to that point I had seen some gains, but they were marginal (maybe 5-7 yards of carry). I was losing my enthusiasm for the program by that point. Took those six days away then came back well rested and my speed just took off. Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to step away and give yourself a little extra rest. It helps to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Ward,

Not sure what to tell you. You're a +2.8, so I doubt it's a mechanical issue. I just try to use ground forces and swing the sticks as "fast" as possible, not as hard as possible. Get the club loaded on the backswing and squat and turn as hard and fast as possible in transition. Then the arms and club just sort of whip through.

I think just swinging these every other day has improved my mechanics, since I'm striking the ball better overall. So I'd guess the mechanical improvements are important in feeding my speed increases.

I also do compound lifts three days a week at the gym, but I was doing that for years before starting the speed training. I'm 38, only 5'7", 160 lbs, but I always had decent fast twitch athleticism (played point guard in high school, center field, etc.). I'm sure that plays some part.

The only other thing I mentioned in one of my previous posts was that around 4-5 weeks in I was feeling rundown and took a full six days of rest. Up to that point I had seen some gains, but they were marginal (maybe 5-7 yards of carry). I was losing my enthusiasm for the program by that point. Took those six days away then came back well rested and my speed just took off. Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to step away and give yourself a little extra rest. It helps to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I really appreciate your help. I think I am going to take 1 week off and then get back at it? I have felt a touch burnt out on it for sure. I have noticed 1/2 increase in irons and iron game in general feels great. I find my ND side swings are much more upright than dom side? Strange but true, thank you again. In closing, the weather is finally getting good around how do handle the system when playing? I tried too play after a big workout and ss training in the AM it was a train wreck ( no feel).. Thanks again greatly appreciated..

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Ward,

I would never do a workout (weight or swing speed training) before a round. I save those for later in the day or non-playing days. I'll do the super speed stuff after a round of golf or range session and I try to stagger it with my regular weight training routine. For instance, yesterday I did range work at lunch and then stopped after work to get the super speed training in. Tonight I hit the gym and did squats, incline bench press, dead lifts and some isolated triceps work. Tomorrow I'll do short game and super speed at lunch and cardio in the evening. I listen to my body and when it tells me to slow down, I take a day or two off.

As for the ND swings, I don't worry much about form. I golf right handed, but I was a switch hitter in my hardball days, which means most of my plate appearances were from the left side. So I don't even think about them as golf swings. I just think about trying to hit a knee high fastball over the right center field wall.

I've gone:

The 110-114 was real club with a real ball hitting a real shot last summer.

The 120's are real club, no ball no tee, swinging in the driveway. I'd never swing that reckless on the course and I'm not even sure I'd actually make contact.

It's not an apples to apples.

The slight disappointment doesn't really come from not seeing any gains on the course (it was one round and too early for that), but rather that I hit 131 with the light club in my first session and have gotten slower since then.

I was hoping to hear what your last sentence said: gains sometimes aren't gradual.

I've gone:

Are those last swings with the lightest club? If so, that's wild that you swing the driver as fast there as the green club which is 20% lighter.

I wouldn't get discouraged after 3 workouts....

Pretty much, yep, but I'm not sure I'd be generating that speed when I'm actually trying to hit a ball.

Ok, big updated here.

Had a lesson on the trackman this morning.

Before Driver Speed: 104-106 - ball speed up 160

Now Driver Speed: 108-110 - ball speed up to 165

Takeaways:

SSR: I brought the SSR along - it was always 10 MPH faster than the trackman. So while its faster, its also consistent. Good to know.

Gains: I've gained almost 4%, which is ~4 MPH. That isn't nothing and is in line with what superspeed advertises. Whether its fair or not, I was hoping I'd be in the 115 area as I've gained over 20% on each of the superspeed clubs. So I'm not Rory all of a sudden. However, I think I'll get there - there's some things I'm doing with the driver swing that aren't super efficient.

Thank you all for a very helpful and informative thread. I've decided to give the SS system a go, and have ordered the set (with radar). One question I have though, for those of you with experience: I play jumbo grips (CP2 Pros) on all of my clubs--would you recommend reshafting the SS "clubs" with the same grips, or just using them as is? Thanks, and really looking forward to getting started!

Wow, great gains being made here!! I'm glad everyone is finding that this works. I've never used it, but sounds awesome! May consider making my own set.

I agree that the SSR (I have the Blue one) is not incredibly accurate, but it is pretty consistent. I use it during every range session just to get an idea and am almost ALWAYS faster on the course. I use it sparingly on the course and only with Driver, but I'm always faster on the course.

Onto another topic here, but anyone looking for a little more distance, just widen your stance and tilt your upper body slightly away from the ball. In other words, dip your rear shoulder slightly....it helps increase your AoA.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Wow, great gains being made here!! I'm glad everyone is finding that this works. I've never used it, but sounds awesome! May consider making my own set.

I agree that the SSR (I have the Blue one) is not incredibly accurate, but it is pretty consistent. I use it during every range session just to get an idea and am almost ALWAYS faster on the course. I use it sparingly on the course and only with Driver, but I'm always faster on the course.

Onto another topic here, but anyone looking for a little more distance, just widen your stance and tilt your upper body slightly away from the ball. In other words, dip your rear shoulder slightly....it helps increase your AoA.

^^^This

My AOA was always +1-2 so I never worried about tilt. Found that having a comfortable level of tilt has gotten me up from my plateau recently. I've now gone from 113/110/95 as my peak dominant side when I started to 119/115/110 today (7 weeks later).

While a 5% gain might not seem like much I'm hitting it as long as I have in 15 years and with not much effort. Admittedly I haven't followed the program to the letter, but it's worked for me. Will be starting protocol 2 this weekend finally..trying to break 120mph!

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Tensei 1K Black 75X)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Srixon Z-Star Diamond '23

Wow --- I had previously completed a few random sessions with my superspeed sticks. On Friday, I got started with what I hope begins a 3x a week pattern. I just completed my second session (Sunday) and man do I feel it in the forearms. Anyone else?

Friday wasn't the first time I completed it but it was the first time after a bucket at the range and the evening before a round. Played Sat and didn't get any range time prior to tee'ing off.

Man was my driver/wood/hybrid swing big time off. One good drive on #16. Other than that, top them all will max elevation about 10 ft (or less) off the ground. This also transitioned into my hybrids. Very very bad and frustrating round (96) especially given it was my first time out with the Epic. Man, were my so called buddies giving me the business regarding the driver.

We then decided to play an extra 9. Wow, everything started to come together and I hit some bombs (for me) especially given how bad the first 18 holes were. Honestly, not sure I hit it any farther than I would on a good day but ---- given how poorly I started off, the first time on course with a new driver and it's on,y April. I believe happy days are coming.

One thing I did notice was I gained almost 10 yards with my Cleveland RTX 54* sand wedge. I'm not sure if this will be consistent thru the bag but I know I did hit at least one PW farther than expected.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Wow --- I had previously completed a few random sessions with my superspeed sticks. On Friday, I got started with what I hope begins a 3x a week pattern. I just completed my second session (Sunday) and man do I feel it in the firearms. Anyone else?

Friday wasn't the first time I completed it but it was the first time after a bucket at the range and the evening before a round. Played Sat and didn't get any range time prior to tee'ing off.

Man was my driver/wood/hybrid swing big time off. One good drive on #16. Other than that, top them all will max elevation about 10 ft (or less) off the ground. This also transitioned into my hybrids. Very very bad and frustrating round (96) especially given it was my first time out with the Epic. Man, were my so called buddies giving me the business regarding the driver.

We then decided to play an extra 9. Wow, everything started to come together and I hit some bombs (for me) especially given how bad the first 18 holes were. Honestly, not sure I hit it any farther than I would on a good day but ---- given how poorly I started off, the first time on course with a new driver and it's on,y April. I believe happy days are coming.

One thing I did notice was I gained almost 10 yards with my Cleveland RTX 54* sand wedge. I'm not sure if this will be consistent thru the bag but I know I did hit at least one PW farther than expected.

All my firearms are fine since started superspeed training. I did start out playing like crap the other day and like you I don't have many sessions in. Still, I see the potential for more speed. If it's just sore muscles from working out it will likely go away before too long.

Agreed that the sore forearms (firearms with spell checker on) will go away. They are only sore when doing the drills.

So, what is everyone doing to regain their tempo prior to playing?????

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

So, what is everyone doing to regain their tempo prior to playing?????

I'm really not trying to be "wise" or "smart" here, is losing tempo a real concern or byproduct of SuperSpeed? I'm only two sessions in of the Into protocol, but is swinging faster playing a factor with tempo? I would expect tempo to not change, as pre-shot routine should control tempo, while in-shot swing speed provides distance and (or fights) control.

Please, I expect and willing-filly accept all criticism to this comment.

Thanks and Happy Patriots' Day.

Foe me, I believe so. See post #381 above. Also check out the overspeed thread as the same issue is noted there by another. Doing it Friday and playing with no range time on Sat was a bad combo for me. Playing an extra 9 on Sat finally sorted it out.

I did SS again today and I'm playing again tomorrow so I'm hoping I don't have a repeat of Saturday's round. I should have some range time prior to teeing off so I shall see.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Haven't had a problem with tempo since starting the super speed training. If anything, I think it's slowed my tempo down a touch, as I like to feel a smooth loading of the club before unleashing the speed during training. No issue with the forearms until I added in the kneeling swings. Those really tax your arm and back muscles compared to standing swings. Yowza.

One issue that's creeping up is that I'm starting to hit my irons like crap. I think the speed training may be encouraging me to swing flatter and increasing early extension. I played on Saturday and continued to absolutely slaughter the driver. Big, high, long (290+, long for me anyway) draws that split the fairway hole after hole. But couldn't take advantage at all since I could not find the face with my irons. It was horrible. Got to where I didn't even want to pull them after awhile. Shot 79 and was 6 over on the par 3s...lol. Played a 3 par after my morning round and still couldn't find it. Finally gave up and just took two extra clubs and took easy half swings to try and find the face again. Shot +2 but that's only because I got up and down a ton, chipped one in and drained two 40 footers.

I had been so optimistic about my game with the added distance and now a new problem pops up. Just keep plugging the leaks I guess.

I'm two weeks in and had a bit of a eureka moment yesterday. If you are a caster (like I have been as played for years with bad hips prior to surgery so got into only using upper body strength) then you are likely get to a point that you have tempo issues. What the process does do is encourage you to release the club correctly. If you focus on feeling like you are squatting down to initiate the down-swing and then maintain your spine angle and build wrist hinge, you can hear the club-head speed build whilst maintaining correct tempo and balance.

Maybe it is because the super-speed sticks are perfectly balanced, but I've found it easier to work on sequencing with them than with a driver. I also try to swing about two inches off the ground to emulate using a driver. I'm guessing super-speed suggest swinging a little higher in case you are working on a hard surface but I do the routine on my lawn as again I think swinging flatter will encourage a casting swing and I can easily see how it would lead to topped shots.

I'm not measuring my training sessions as I want to give it a while and then check progress with a driver. I have played a couple of rounds and can tell the process is promising.

I'm not measuring my training sessions as I want to give it a while and then check progress with a driver. I have played a couple of rounds and can tell the process is promising.

Good to hear and keep us updated. I just had my third session / first week today. I am messing max speed with each side (dominant and non-dominant) of each set and plan to bring the SSR to the range, to log driver speed.

Good luck!

It sounds like a bunch of us have had some ball striking issues. My guess is these issues are due to it being early in the season, rather than a byproduct of the speed training (at least for us in the north). It's not unusual for me to have no clue where the golf ball is going my first few times out.

To that end, my swing is now more grooved, and I definitely saw the results of the training on the course this weekend. Played in a Ryder Cup event, and one guy who's a big hitter said out of the blue that I seemed 20 yards longer this year. So that's anecdotal, but great.

It sounds like a bunch of us have had some ball striking issues. My guess is these issues are due to it being early in the season, rather than a byproduct of the speed training (at least for us in the north). It's not unusual for me to have no clue where the golf ball is going my first few times out.

I would say that is probably what the problem is. I play year round where I live, and I am having no trouble with ball striking. In fact, I haven't hit it this good in years -- however I am taking lessons and working on my swing a lot, so it is hard to know what is the cause of the good ball striking.