2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Amateurs with Staff Bags...Yes or No?(merged)

I am a 20 hdcp and just bought the titleist mid staff. Great looking bag. I haven't used it yet but I am sure I will at some point. I was looking for a bag with a 5-6 way top and pockets for riding in a cart. Most of today's cart bags have 14 way tops. And most 6 way stand bags don't have straps that remove... Plus I really liked the looks of it. Seems well made and should last.

^^^ I have the same bag, sittIng in my closet. I quickly went back to my stand bag after lugging it around a time or two. Love the way it looks, which is why I won't sell it, but man it's a PITA. May become an office piece at some point. Certainly didn't need it, (my game reminds me this constantly) but I don't recall the handicap waiver I had to sign prior to purchasing either.

I am a 10 hdcp and a staff bag user and here is why. I walked and carried for many years and prefer playing golf that way.

Once I moved to GA I quickly figured that walking is almost out of the question. The courses I play are too hilly and the tee boxes are blocks away from each other. No, I am not teenager anymore either. Now that I ride I also figured that a stand bag sucks in a cart when the cart paths have so many bumps from the tree roots tearing up the the paths and all the bumping around makes stand bag damn near turn all the way around in the cart. If I pull the strap tighter it makes where it is possible to get the clubs out. For me and where I play, a stand bag is total pain in the cart.

Therefore, I got a great deal on a big bag (aka. Staff bag) and I love this thing in the cart. I don't care what people think, I enjoy my bag and it makes it so much easier to get clubs in and out.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care if you put your clubs in a shopping cart as long as you're respectful, fix your divots, wear a collared shirt, etc.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9°

TaylorMade Stealth 15°

Ping G430 19°, 22°

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Tour Rack 50° (Mid), 54° (Mid), 58° (Low)

Scotty Cameron T10 Select Newport 2

I wish there was more options for stand staff bags. If the grey/green TM one was a smaller stand staff bag, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. No way I'm lugging around a full size staff bag.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

I would not carry a staff bag, too heavy for me. Lots of people think stand bag is just for walkers, actually OUUL stand bag is super sturdy when you place it on a cart too. It doesn't twist around like any other bags I had before. So I got choices to carry or take it on a ride.

Check it out at www.OUULbags.com. We are running the biggest sale this weekend ( everything is 20% off with code GOLFWRX20)

Here is a golfwrx link from 2nd day of PGA show. Easyyy was so impressed after discovered OUUL.

http://www.golfwrx.com/425860/show-stoppers-day-2-from-the-pga-show/

• 4 weeks later...

just don't understand why it's even a discussion point. Maybe the culture in US is different to AUS, but people here wouldn't look twice what bag you game

it's similar topic on wearing white golf pants....there seems to be a thing where a hack or amateurs shouldn't wear white pants to emulate pro's style

weird world we live in

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

I just saw the new Mizuno Staff bag on their Japanese website, this will be my next bag as soon as it will be available in Europe! I don't care what others may think.

Great for you not caring what others say or think----- I say go for it---- All of those Asian bags are colorful--- Be sure to post pics----- I am of the school of not caring about others say or think myself and I do not care what others do either---- I have always marched to the beat of my own drummer

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

2017usopentourbagwhiteredblue1.jpg

Just won one of these on Instagram. Never really considered a staff bag before, but probably going to end up using this as my main bag if it fits my trolley okay. It looks great, looking forward to seeing it in person!

Nice bag I saw them in the US Open. The only drawbacks I see are in my past experiences the white is hard to keep clean and it being as rare and expensive as it is will draw lots of attention.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I am all for staff bags.

Even when I was a kid, it was always the staff bag that I wanted to go with. What I would say is that anyone who has a staff bag and who doesn't use a cart is mad. Seen the odd person do it and it just doesn't make sense.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Staff bags are awesome ! The only thing I would find a little strange is if you have your name on it and you've never broken 80.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMHO golf should be solely for the enjoyment of the person playing it, and if shooting 114 with blades and a staff bag does that for you who is anybody to tell you otherwise.

Philosophy aside, I experimented with a staff bag and just don't find them practical. To me, they work better than stand bags for carting but that's why cart bags exist.

I'll say this, I think if a person played in crappy weather often they would be great. The extra storage would be awesome for extra gear etc., and the bags themselves are just built to withstand more of a beating.

Picked up one of these for $90 from Golfetail a couple of days ago... deal-of-the-day price was $99 and I was able to stack a $10 off code, but then had to add a filler item to get it back up above $99 for free shipping. I doubt it'll ever see the course, but my current backup irons/hybrid/fairway are Adams and my current spare club bag is a Tommy Armour staff bag that got trashed by the dog during a thunderstorm about a decade ago.

adastfbag-blksil10-side-0817__57672.1502082890.jpg?c=2

I end up buying a Staff Bag of some sort about once a year but usually end up selling it on and usually for a profit. Last year is was 2 NOS '11 and '12 Mizuno Staff Bags from a local club pro for $85 each... I'd planned on keeping one and giving one to my brother, but greed set in and I unloaded them for $225 and $250 respectively. I did at least use the profits towards overhauling both his bag and mine. Given the current state of Adams I doubt it would be as easy to flip this one, but don't be surprised if you see it up on Craig's List or Facebook BST for $200 next week or in the spring.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

The 9" Adams Staff bag seems to be a winner... notably heavier than my Ogio Silencer Cart when loaded but didn't feel any heavier once on the push-cart. The 9" size and slightly smaller pocket footprint makes it a lot less bulbous and attention-grabbing than full-size 10" Staff bags I've had in the past that have never made it to the course. On a riding cart, I don't think it would look out of place at all next to a C130 or similar cart bag.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

recently purchased a mid size titleist staff bag to be used on my clicgear push cart and i could not be more happy. I made the switch because we have had the worst summer ever here in central Ontario, and if you are not willing to haul a ton of gear for the weather you cant really play that much in Canada. It is the same size as 80% of cart bags and it sits perfectly but with superior quality and storage. I am now part of the converted. I have had a lot of complements on the bag and it has just proved to me again.... NO ONE CARES WHAT BAG YOU USE!!! play what works for you and your needs, as long as you are getting out there , enjoying the game and playing quick, we will be fast friends

TS3 8.5 - evenflow white 6.5 
915F 15 - Rogue x
Titleist H2 21- tensi pro white 
712U 4i DG tour x100
718 ap2 5-PW DG tour x100
SM7 52F 56S 60M DG tour s400
Scotty Cameron special select 2 - 34 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As an amateur with a staff bag here's my pro's and cons:

Pros:

Holds a lot of stuff, rain gear, food, drinks, sunglasses...whatever you need

Can hold extra clubs without issues (in case you are testing some extras)

Fits well on push cart or cart

long lasting/durable

protects clubs well (including shafts)

stylish (if you're into them)

Rain protection is fantastic

Cons:

Heavy

Not walker friendly if you don't have push cart

Zippers tend to be the first thing that breaks

If you get the full sized staff bag, it's sometimes too fat to fit on cart or push cart very well