If you have hit a hole in one - what was the shot like

Bbo569

8-iron, slightly pulled left but solid strike. Took a slope , turned right, and tracked the hole . Pretty much died at the cup. Saw it the whole way!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was giving a co worker his first 9 hole playing lesson after spending hours at the range with him over a few months time.

It was the second hole at Wildhorse Golf Club in Vegas (east side). This was before they changed the layout of the course, so late 1990's.

On the second tee box I tossed a ball on the ground to show my student that it was not

mandatory to use a tee on short Par 3's.

It was a 125 yard hole slightly uphill with some deep bunkers around much of the green.

Found a choice patch of turf and took a swing with my 9 iron (Daiwa G3 Compo's Carbon composite faces,remember them?). It sailed towards the stick, went on the green, and into the hole it went. My co worker Jason

shouted " you went in the hole man." Yes it did.

So I aced a hole yes, but it wasn't during a competitive round, and dang why didn't it happen during

my regular weekly game. lol

I had been playing golf for 20 years at the time. It was fun yes, but kind of uneventful as all the mid irons to 5 wood Par 3 shots that

came pretty close on Par 3's of 170-205 yards over the years, would have made an even sweeter ace for sure.

But heck, I'm in the club.

g3lo313.jpg

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

Mine was so long ago I barely remember it, but my wife had one yesterday, her first.

133 yard 7 iron. Pin was back left, and green was fairly firm. The ball landed front edge took two hops and rolled out about 30 feet, breaking at least 12 feet right in the process. It had eyes the whole way, and we had a good few seconds to watch it unfold. I was very happy for her, and she's still on cloud nine today. Course was fairly empty, so no other witnesses.

I made four on the hole, since I totally lost focus... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

2004, misawa Japan. Great spot to spend 6 months working night shift in the navy as an e3 (golf cost me something like $30/mth for all I could play).

My buddy and I have a little match going for a case of beer. We get to 18 with me 1 up. 18's a 210 yd par 3 that plays a bit downhill.

My buddy has the honors, and hits one in to 15-20 feet. Heckuva shot and put some pressure on me.

I hit a 4 iron that was just one of those shots. Tight draw going right at the stick. We could see it hit just short of the pin and then release. He thought it was long, and I couldn't make myself believe it was in. We get up and check the hole, and next thing I know I'm buying beers in the clubhouse when I thought I had won a case.

It's weird, because I remember the swing itself. I remember what I was thinking as I was swinging. It was 2004. Downhill par-3, playing 145 or so, back left pin, firm green. I hit a Mizuno Mp-14 PW. I remember sort of trying to channel Fred Couples- the flowing takeaway, slight pause at the top, smooth through the ball. It sailed through the air, landed maybe 7 or 8 feet short-right of the hole, spun a little to the left, and rolled like a putt, dead center.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Remember mine like it was yesterday, but it was actually 32 years ago. I was 14 years old, 160 yard par 3, but the tees were moved up to about 140. I was with 3 friends and there was a group of old guys on the same tee waiting for us. One friend tried to get a wager going right before I hit, but I declined. Hit a very nice 6 iron to the left side of the green, started rolling towards the middle of the green. Halfway towards the hole my friends started joking that it was going to go in, another few feet and they weren't joking anymore as the ball got to the pin and then just disappeared.

Best part about it? The orange top-flite X-out ball looks pretty awesome in a trophy case. You probably see a lot of Pro-V1s and the like in trophy case, but when was the last time you saw an orange factory reject ball being honored?

Worst part? I haven't come close since.

Like an idiot I teed off with the ball on the very next hole, with water on the right. Kept it in play and then picked it up and put it in my pocket. Couldn't concentrate the last 2 holes so just knocked the ball along the ground with one hand on my club like a polo player just so I could finish and make it official.

Still haven't gotten my first. I've had a couple of real close calls that have missed going in by inches.

I holed out a double-eagle once from 196 with a 5i. When my foursome finally got to the green and the ball wasn't on, I figured it went off the back. We searched and searched until someone looked in the cup. Totally anti-climatic.

2013. Playing my local course with 3 friends on Friday in July. Iowa heat and it had been dry for awhile. 343 par 4 with a rise in the fairway that ran to down to the green with a pond on the left. I was playing well so I didn't want to mess with the pond. I had also just gotten a new Rocketballz 14.5 tour 3 wood and hadn't hit it yet. I roped one down the right with a little draw. Came over the hill expecting to be around 50 yards out (usually hit is 275, but with the heat and dry ground figured I would be a little farther). We looked and looked, I figured it must have taken a bad bounce and went in the pond, the only thing I didn't want to happen. My buddy walks up to the hole just to check and the ball is sitting in the bottom of the cup. Luckiest shot I have ever hit and I didn't even get to see it.

2015 Playing Saddleback in Solon, downhill par three on the back. Playing with my dad and great uncle. Wind right behind us. Hit just in front of the pin one hop and then a little spin back into the front hole location. Got to see that one.

Love the stories!

My normal 4-some was playing at a course we like to go to when we are tired of our home course. We actually were talking about it earlier in the week that as much golf as we play (20-30 rounds a year together) that its time for a hole in one. We walk up to the Par 3 13th, and it's playing super short (front part of the tee box and pin at the front). We all drive up and I said "Boys, its time for a hole in one". I hit my 50* from 126 out and I play it left to right to adjust for the wind, and it was tracking the same line I had envisioned, takes one hop right in front of the pin and disappears . At first we thought it might be behind the pin and we couldn't see it, but someone was sure it went in. So I yelled "Finally" and a bunch of high fives later, I got my first ace.

I've been lucky to have had many but my favorite was the 18th hole at Pasatiempo. I had played the hole a month before and hit a shot directly at the flag and it just DISAPPEARED. I got all excited and said, "did it go in!?". No, idiot, it's plugged in the back bunker....ugh. So, a month later, about 20 minutes after a major earthquake that hit while we were on the back nine, I hit the same club from the back tee. Same thing....ball disappears and this time I think, "sh#t!, not that back bunker again!" But at that moment, a crowd around the clubhouse and those just vacating the green all jump up and start celebrating. It's pretty hard to slink out of an expensive round of drinks when it happens on the last hole which is adjacent to the clubhouse. Pretty much everyone seemed to be watching from the clubhouse that afternoon. It was totally worth it.

Love this topic, remember it like it was yesterday!

Was playing in a freshman 9 hole golf match with a teammate and two other HS competitors. Was 168 yards out, hit a 6 iron. Could only see about half of the pin on the front right of the green.

Best part was we were all playing so terribly that I half-jokingly said "one of us should just get a hole in one here" or something to that effect. We all hit our tee shots well, but couldn't see how they ended up or who was where. As we approached the green, 3 balls were within 10 feet or so and mine at the bottom of the cup :taunt: . Proceeded to do a "snow angel" on the green and rattle off a 46 for my worst 9 hole score of the year! Classic.

Was 20 years ago...wow that's a scary thought... 15th hole at Pasatiempo, pin front-middle hit a 8 iron that one hopped and straight in the hole. I was 15 and there was some drama if members could still get there free beer from a minor but I scored like $250 from hole in one insurance.

TSR3 10.0 D1 HZRDUS Black 60 
TSR2 16.5 HZRDUS Black 70
TSR2 21 Hybrid HZRDUS Black 90
T200 4 iron bent weak PX LZ
T100 5-9 PX LZ
SM9 46, 50, 56, 60 PX LZ
Scotty NP2

Thirty years ago I was playing solo on my course, which was 9 holes back then. Hit an 8-iron on the third hole, the ball landed just short and rolled over the edge of the cup, stopping a foot away. I said out loud "It would be just my luck to get a hole in one with no witnesses". Second time around, same hole, back nine tee is 10 yards closer, hit a 9-iron, same line, same landing area, in the hole.

I know many people would not consider it a legitimate hole in one, but I know what I did and I count it. I've been lucky enough to have seven holes in one. The others have all been witnessed, with two coming in tournaments.

Hole measured 165 yards to front pin, into a 10-11 o'clock breeze. Odd shaped, undulated, fast green. Couldn't be short of the pin otherwise ball would spin back into a front bunker. I chose 6 iron and couldn't have hit it any better. Ball landed a foot behind the cup and spun back into the cup. Was given a really nice plaque by my iron mfg.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My only one was on the 71st hole of the Len Ross Fresno City Junior Amateur Championship, 1998 I think. I played pretty well going into that day to make the cut for the final round at Copper River County Club but that day I really struggled and couldn't seem to find the center of the clubface. We get to the 17th hole and I just pure a 9 iron from about 140 right at the pin, I remember saying to myself "finally I hit one solid" just after making contact. I didn't see the ball drop as the pin was behind a little ridge, my dad was following the group and saw it go in. I received a plaque from the tournament and I still have the ball.

100 yard hole at a local public course. Hit a sand wedge thin, took one hop and in the cup. Kicker was this happened the first time my boss and I played together

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

My normal 4-some was playing at a course we like to go to when we are tired of our home course. We actually were talking about it earlier in the week that as much golf as we play (20-30 rounds a year together) that its time for a hole in one. We walk up to the Par 3 13th, and it's playing super short (front part of the tee box and pin at the front). We all drive up and I said "Boys, its time for a hole in one". I hit my 50* from 126 out and I play it left to right to adjust for the wind, and it was tracking the same line I had envisioned, takes one hop right in front of the pin and disappears . At first we thought it might be behind the pin and we couldn't see it, but someone was sure it went in. So I yelled "Finally" and a bunch of high fives later, I got my first ace.

I wish I'd gotten a picture like that. I was so shocked I didn't think about it, though.

^^

I had honors on the tee box, so had I not had to sit there and wait for the other 3 guys to tee off, I may of forgot, but I grabbed my phone to text my wife and she said take some pics! So I might not of had it not been for her. I am glad I did because now I have two different framed pictures on either side of my hole in one plaque. Cheesy, but hey, it's my mancave! :)

1st hole in one last summer. 125 yards, gap wedge to a tiny green playing over water. Hit a foot behind the hole, one hop and sucked back into the cup. Just like you always picture one in your mind.

Playing with my golf buddies and I said "Be a 1" when the ball was about halfway to the hole and still in the air. When the ball disappeared, I was speechless till my buddy said, "Holy S**t, it did go in".

Nirvana!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

My first hole in one was when I was about fourteen on a 120 yard hole. I completely thinned the shot and it bounced and bounded up into the hole. The funny part was that the ball (Spalding Dot balata) had a big 3/4" flap hanging off of it. I had that ball for years afterward but don't know what happened to it. That was just the only kind of balls I played unless I found something better but I usually saved the good ones for tournaments and matches. Pretty sad.