2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Apple Watch for Golf

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Grint uses the GPS on the AW2 or off the phone?

It will use it off the watch as long as your phone's Bluetooth is turned off!

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I've been using SwingxSwing (free version) on my Apple Watch. I can't believe you can't scroll to the next hole by swiping the watch's screen. After each hole, it usually progresses to the next hole (after asking to input your score). But if you forget to input your score and now you're two holes ahead, you can't just swipe until you're on the next hole. You have to wait until the app thinks you've progressed. So I'm constantly having to wait until the app thinks I'm ready to input my score. If you're two holes ahead, heaven forbid you're screwed. It is so bizarre. The one thing you can do is swipe right and you can get to a screen that toggles between gross score or net score, but that doesn't allow you to input your score - it's just a setting which is completely useless. How do the developers not allow you to swipe to the correct hole? This is the free version - maybe there's a paid version that does that, but I'm not about to pay for any version when the free version is so bad. Love it when it works, but that's usually for just part of the round. IMHO

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a lot of people like both Hole 19 and The Grint. Has anyone used both that could comment on the differences? I have been using GolfLogix but wanting to make a switch and plan on using the new app with an AW.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

It looks like a lot of people like both Hole 19 and The Grint. Has anyone used both that could comment on the differences? I have been using GolfLogix but wanting to make a switch and plan on using the new app with an AW.

I have used both and like each for different reasons. My personal opinion is the Grint has a better user experience on the AW Than h19. It's not bad on H19 just not as easy and intuitive as the Grint. That said the Grint is a battery hog. I'm on the original Apple Watch and a full round leaves with hardly anything left in the battery. I also don't really care for the Grints app. I find H19 app way better and easier to use. It's watch interface has gotten better with updates. It's. Battery usage is WAY better. I still have 40% left when done with 18 holes with H19.

I continue to use H19.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I too have been using Trackmygolf for almost a year. Simple, effective, and quickly updates yardages. You can use it to track your round as it recognizes when you swing. You're able to edit the swing with club info or leave it blank. Either way the swing location is stored immediately and thus you can edit later without wasting time trying to mark a location. Wish it had hazard info. Emailed support and they said it won't be available for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Hole 19 with the AW and it works great imo. I have been turning off Bluetooth on the phone, so that I do have to worry about having my phone by my ball when I need a distance. The score keeping is very easy to use.

I may have to look in to track my golf. I assume it is similar except it also includes club tracking?

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I have been using Hole 19 with the AW and it works great imo. I have been turning off Bluetooth on the phone, so that I do have to worry about having my phone by my ball when I need a distance. The score keeping is very easy to use.

I may have to look in to track my golf. I assume it is similar except it also includes club tracking?

I've never used my aw with h19 and not connected to bt. does it transfer scores/stats easy when reconnected to bt?

I've never used my aw with h19 and not connected to bt. does it transfer scores/stats easy when reconnected to bt?

yes.

Hole 19 is the best by far for me. As far as the app on the iPhone, the watch and battery life it doesn't use.

Just need the HC and it would be perfect

still use Golfshot GPS on my iPhone and when i wear my AW - there too. love it.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I use the AW with Hole 19. After I start the app on the iPhone for the course and start the app on the AW, I turn off the the BT on iPhone and use the AW for score and yardage. After the rounds I turn the BT back on the iPhone and everything syncs up. There are times that when on the AW only, the yardage takes a while to settle down on a yardage as it jumps back and forth a little bit

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I use the AW with Hole 19. After I start the app on the iPhone for the course and start the app on the AW, I turn off the the BT on iPhone and use the AW for score and yardage. After the rounds I turn the BT back on the iPhone and everything syncs up. There are times that when on the AW only, the yardage takes a while to settle down on a yardage as it jumps back and forth a little bit

I'll have to try it. I forgot to try last week. Thanks for the reply.

yeah just saw Golfshot announced it now works with the GPS inside the watch rather than having the phone. good for AW2 users.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

You have to make sure to turn off BT on your phone or Golfshot on your AW will pull the GPS data from there.

SO if your have BT off on your phone I take it you wont have any link between the watch and your phone for text and emails and calls? Or you still will if you keep wifi on?

I use game golf seems like it drains my watch badly Im wondering if its the bluetooth connection thats killing it. Plus when Im not in range it screws up the data link

You have to make sure to turn off BT on your phone or Golfshot on your AW will pull the GPS data from there.

SO if your have BT off on your phone I take it you wont have any link between the watch and your phone for text and emails and calls? Or you still will if you keep wifi on?

I use game golf seems like it drains my watch badly Im wondering if its the bluetooth connection thats killing it. Plus when Im not in range it screws up the data link

That is correct. So no BT link between the phone and watch.

When I first tried Golfshot in my AW2 I could not get it to use the AW's GPS. Apparently its fixed now but you do have to kill the BT.

Pretty disappointed with the Grint so far. Compared to the garmin S20 there is no comparison--- my AW2 is terribly slow to catch up on some holes and acceptable on others. There distances are fairly consistent but some holes I am still getting the distance from the tee when I am on the green.

I have gone back to the S20 I just pin it to my shorts and wear the apple watch on my wrist.

Wish garmin would come out with an APP that works as well as the S20 with the same functionality.

Don't know if it is getting confused with the blue tooth on -- the phone is in the cart and the watch is on my wrist. but if I turn BT off then I lose the functionality of the watch/phone connection.

I have been using Golf Pad GPS after using Golflogix for years, but found it laggy and buggy on the watch. Golf Pad GPS works almost perfectly and keep track of almost everything right from the watch. It does require the premium membership but it's pretty cheap and lasts a year. I have also ordered the link system from them (still waiting for it) but looking forward to it. Used to have Arcos as well and I theory seemed like the best choice but it would randomly stop tracking things, so instead of just playing I was spending more time checking to see if shots were tracked etc.

I have the apple watch series 2 now as well so battery and speed are really nice.

Just thowing a few more options out there...

Cheers

TJ

i have the original AW and love it for golf. i wanted an all inclusive device and not switch for daily use, activity and then for golf. i was using a garmin S1 before. i downloaded the Hole 19 app and have been very happy with it. the AW was kinda slow before they updated earlier this year, but now its snappy. im sure AW2 is even better. the H19 app keep handicap, all my rounds, scorecard, and distance to the hole.

Is Hole 19 a free App?

i have the original AW and love it for golf. i wanted an all inclusive device and not switch for daily use, activity and then for golf. i was using a garmin S1 before. i downloaded the Hole 19 app and have been very happy with it. the AW was kinda slow before they updated earlier this year, but now its snappy. im sure AW2 is even better. the H19 app keep handicap, all my rounds, scorecard, and distance to the hole.

Is Hole 19 a free App?

Yes. With an upgrade to premium service with more in depth stats. I do not use that

That is correct. So no BT link between the phone and watch.

When I first tried Golfshot in my AW2 I could not get it to use the AW's GPS. Apparently its fixed now but you do have to kill the BT.

For me no link back to the iPhone is a good thing. I hate getting notifications when I am golfing. Way too disruptive