2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Most Economical CR2 Battery Replacement?

I just bought my first laser rangefinder that uses the CR2 battery size. I play golf on average twice a week so I imagine that I'll have to replace the battery regularly. I have some related questions on the most economical battery replacement regimen:

• Rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries? While I would like to minimize any adverse environmental impact, I'm concerned about reliability of rechargeable batteries and chargers.
  • Is there a recommended battery manufacturer?
  • Does it make sense to buy batteries in bulk? A long shelf life might justify it but I'm unsure of the actual long-term life of these batteries.
  • What is the best retailer / seller to purchase batteries? I've read about customers receiving old batteries on Amazon and eBay so I'd probably like to avoid those two sources.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! :good:

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought my first laser rangefinder that uses the CR2 battery size. I play golf on average twice a week so I imagine I'll have to replace the battery regularly. What is the most economical battery replacement regimen? Rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries? While I would like to minimize any adverse environmental impact, I'm concerned about rechargeable reliability. Is there a recommended battery manufacturer? What is the best retailer / seller to purchase batteries? I've read about customers receiving old batteries on Amazon and eBay so I'd probably like to avoid those two sources.

Did you know Precision Pro offers free battery replacement for US ALL customers!!!? :golfer:

Edit: Updated our policy so that all customers -- no matter where you are in the world -- receive free lifetime battery replacement.

I just go on eBay and get a 10 pack or whatever is cheapest and make sure the expiry date is 2024 or something like that. I think it cost me 22 bucks for a decade or more worth of batteries. I play about 140 times a year and use the rangefinder 25+ times a round so a battery generally does not last me a full year.

I order about 20 of these CR2 batteries and split several with my friends. They last quite a while. A buck each.

http://www.batteryju.../w2en-lcr2.html

They do have Duracell CR2 if someone wants a name brand battery.

http://www.batteryju...racell-cr2.html

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I purchased a Golfing Buddies CR2 charger with 2 batteries. I've charged the batteries once since last season so the charger has paid for itself.

$30+ tax to purchase 2 of these batteries where I live.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Golfing Buddies CR2 charger with 2 batteries. I've charged the batteries once since last season so the charger has paid for itself.

Who was your golfing buddy? What is the brand of the one you bought? I bought a 12pack from amazon earlier this year. The first battery lasted forever, afterwards, every battery after that lasted about a round. What a waste.

Anyone know of a better range finder that uses more typical batteries? I am currently using a bushnell tour v3. I'm open to suggestions. May just sell mine to get some money back to buy a better one.

I'm trying to figure out if it's my bushnell tour v3 that's the problem (something causing it to eat through batteries) or if it's the batteries...I was buying some rayovac CR2's and they were lasting a few rounds. These cheap bulk ones I bought off Amazon, enegitech sold by powermall. Supposed to have a 10 year shelf life, but they can't hold a 3v charge long enough to last a round. Check it with the battery tester and it's green, but throw it back in the range finder and it's kaput. gotta find a better battery or a better rangefinder.

Who was your golfing buddy? What is the brand of the one you bought? I bought a 12pack from amazon earlier this year. The first battery lasted forever, afterwards, every battery after that lasted about a round. What a waste.

Anyone know of a better range finder that uses more typical batteries? I am currently using a bushnell tour v3. I'm open to suggestions. May just sell mine to get some money back to buy a better one.

The brand of charger is called "Golfing Buddy" CR2 Charger. Haven't purchased a new set of batteries in 2 years. Has paid for itself this season.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I'm trying to figure out if it's my bushnell tour v3 that's the problem (something causing it to eat through batteries) or if it's the batteries..

Just a thought of a remote possibility, you might want to look at how you store the rangefinder in your bag. It could be in a way where the movement on the bag is triggering the range finder inside the bag when the bag moves around. Particularly (for some of the Bushnell's) the side button if yours has one. That would decrease the battery life.

But, that being said, I'd be more likely to blame the batteries - CR2's aren't the most popular battery and can end up on the shelves longer then most. Check the packaging for a date.

Im in North Central Florida, and I can never find these batteries... its ridiculous...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I'm trying to figure out if it's my bushnell tour v3 that's the problem (something causing it to eat through batteries) or if it's the batteries..

Just a thought of a remote possibility, you might want to look at how you store the rangefinder in your bag. It could be in a way where the movement on the bag is triggering the range finder inside the bag when the bag moves around. Particularly (for some of the Bushnell's) the side button if yours has one. That would decrease the battery life.

But, that being said, I'd be more likely to blame the batteries - CR2's aren't the most popular battery and can end up on the shelves longer then most. Check the packaging for a date.

ire likely

I'd also check that after pressing the "on" button the display goes out in about 10 seconds. If the button is sticking the battery will drain quick. I agree that it's more likely poor batteries (the rf still could be the issue). Take one of the batteries and try to find another rf to swap it with. That will prove the actual battery condition.

Im in North Central Florida, and I can never find these batteries... its ridiculous...

Walmart.com

Bestbuy.com

Amazon.com

etc etc :) :)

you and your common sense are not helping

:P

i meant locally, but I'm pretty sure you knew that...

Red Rover, Red Rover, can smartWord not allowed come over?

Why yes of course!!

:lol:

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I don't have a target... The only place that has them locally is Lowes... which is ridiculous. they are like 10 bux each

WalMart has been out of them overtime i have looked for them

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Availability is going to vary from area to area - if you want to find a local source you're going to have to get out and around. Some of the better places to try (if you haven't already) would be office supply chains or electronic chains (e.g. Best Buy or Staples), camera stores (if any exist any more), even try some of the various drug store chains. Although most don't, we even have one grocery store chain that carries them.

You never know but I doubt you'll find a much better price then what you've found at Lowes (at least to the point that will match the online prices). Personally, at one battery every year or two, I can't say I pay a whole lot of attention to the price.

I go through a battery a month to month and a half. But I live on the course so I use mine a lot.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I bought a sleeve of 10 for $16 on Amazon. Play 4 times a week and the battery has lasted a few months and still going strong.

Geaux Gators-why worry about finding them locally? They are way more expensive in stores. Just get them online was a great suggestion which you poo pooed for some reason.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NEW-Duracell-Ultra-Lithium-CR2-Batteries-3V-DLCR2-CR17355-ELCR2-Exp-2024-/232460678936?hash=item361fbc7718:g:VOUAAOSw8HBZEl4O

Mine have lasted just short of 1 year each. Bought 2 with RF and put 2nd one in last week. Went to local walgreens and they wanted $17 for a 2 pack that had been opened and stapled shut. Went straight to ebay for a 5 for $10.86 free ship. It says Exp 2024 so we'll have to see.

http://www.ebay.com/...OUAAOSw8HBZEl4O

Mine have lasted just short of 1 year each. Bought 2 with RF and put 2nd one in last week. Went to local walgreens and they wanted $17 for a 2 pack that had been opened and stapled shut. Went straight to ebay for a 5 for $10.86 free ship. It says Exp 2024 so we'll have to see.

i just bought some based off your post -- thanks !!!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I just bought my first laser rangefinder that uses the CR2 battery size. I play golf on average twice a week so I imagine I'll have to replace the battery regularly. What is the most economical battery replacement regimen? Rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries? While I would like to minimize any adverse environmental impact, I'm concerned about rechargeable reliability. Is there a recommended battery manufacturer? What is the best retailer / seller to purchase batteries? I've read about customers receiving old batteries on Amazon and eBay so I'd probably like to avoid those two sources.

Did you know Precision Pro offers free battery replacement for US customers!!!? :golfer:

Wow, that's good to know

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

ire likely

I'd also check that after pressing the "on" button the display goes out in about 10 seconds. If the button is sticking the battery will drain quick. I agree that it's more likely poor batteries (the rf still could be the issue). Take one of the batteries and try to find another rf to swap it with. That will prove the actual battery condition.

Good point. I didn't try the batteries in anyone else's range finder. I'll have to give that a go. I am planning on buying that Golfing Buddies rechargeable that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Might give that a shot.

Yeah, I mean that is very likely that the batteries are crap. I mean I bought a bundle for cheap. Enegitech was the brand sold by powermall on amazon. At least the first one worked out well.

So at one point, when the rangefinder was in the case, I could definitely believe that maybe the side netting inside the case, (if you have the red and gray bushnell with the zipper and elastic, when you open it, there is netting on both sides to stop the case from opening all the way.) could be pressing against the button when it's closed. So I store my rangefinder in reverse so the button is lower in the case.

I doubt the button is getting pressed while i'm playing because usually I have it in the basket of my push cart when I walk in the early morning on weekends. I doubt anything is pressing it. I've got 3 balls, the RF with no case, and a water bottle sitting in that basket/net area. When I'm riding, i usually just toss it in the front cubby hole of the cart. So definitely no chance of something holding down the button there.

Thank you all who replied to my posts. It was much appreciated. If all else fails, I might sell my RF on craigslist and then just give the NX7 pro a try.

Only thing that worries me about the NX7 pro is that it's normal operating range is 400 yards, and then it's within 1yd only from 125yds and in. Meaning that a longer iron could roll right off the back of a green if it was off by 5 yds. I don't know though, I've never used one yet. Has anyone else had any good/bad feedback about the NX7 pro?

For example the Bushnell X2 pro operating range is 500+ yds I think, and the accuracy from 125yds and in is within half a yard.

Why couldn't they just make a rangefinder that uses 2 AA batteries setup in series(?) to increase the voltage from 1.5 (per battery) to 3v total. Life would be so much easier...And I could live with rechargeable AA's.

Thank you all who replied to my posts. It was much appreciated. If all else fails, I might sell my RF on craigslist and then just give the NX7 pro a try.

Only thing that worries me about the NX7 pro is that it's normal operating range is 400 yards, and then it's within 1yd only from 125yds and in. Meaning that a longer iron could roll right off the back of a green if it was off by 5 yds. I don't know though, I've never used one yet. Has anyone else had any good/bad feedback about the NX7 pro?

For example the Bushnell X2 pro operating range is 500+ yds I think, and the accuracy from 125yds and in is within half a yard.

Why couldn't they just make a rangefinder that uses 2 AA batteries setup in series(?) to increase the voltage from 1.5 (per battery) to 3v total. Life would be so much easier...And I could live with rechargeable AA's.

Here is comparison info on popular rangefinders. I have the Bushnell V4 which is rated for 1000 yards (!) and 400 yards for flags with 1 yard accuracy. After using mine all year the unit just works with no issues - quick, accurate, and reliable. Still on original battery and I play at least twice a week.

https://lasergolfrangefinder.com/

I bought a sleeve of 10 for $16 on Amazon. Play 4 times a week and the battery has lasted a few months and still going strong.

Geaux Gators-why worry about finding them locally? They are way more expensive in stores. Just get them online was a great suggestion which you poo pooed for some reason.

No, I was kidding about the fact I was complaining about something locally when I could easily get it online.

Thought the lols would have given that away

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

No, I was kidding about the fact I was complaining about something locally when I could easily get it online.

Thought the lols would have given that away

Maybe next time go with LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL and then several !!!!!!'s and a couple emoticons.

Although on a bad day I'm perfectly capable of missing the point even then...

LOL!!!