2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

Hi.

First off, thanks to all of you sharing your experiences with this training system, and also for all the DIY ideas.

I have decided to make this golf season the year of the driver. It has always been one of the worst part of my golf and now it is time to change that.

I have owned a blue SSR for a couple of years now, and have mainly used it during practice for regular status checks.

My usual SSR speed with the driver when hitting balls is 103 mph. When the driver swing is good, then I'm swinging at 107-110 mph. I can get to 115 when I really go after it, but very rarely try that when playing.

My goal is to get the normal, controlled, driver speed to 110 mph during this summer.

My hope is that more distance will lead to more birdie chances which will lead to lower scores, if I can keep my bogey rate the same.

My main concern is that I will lose some control/tempo in my irons, so I will pay close attention to during this experiment.

I did my first intro level session yesterday (using 5 swings) and it was pretty good.

One thing that really surprised me was that my lefty swings where significantly faster than my righty swings (3-7 mph)!! :)

Has anyone had the same experience?

Max numbers:

Right: 112/100/77

Left: 115/105/90

Right step-in: 119/106/96

Left step-in: 131/110/99

Right: 121 (with light club)

(Currently using my driver, a gripped shaft with taped bolts and my 3 iron as the heavy club.)

I'm about a month in and it doesn't look like I'm picking up much speed on the radar swinging right handed (I play right-handed)). My left handed swing is seeing some nice gains though! :) On the course it's really hard to say if this is translating on course to more distances or not.... I am hitting the ball further, but it may be in part due to the weather as the courses in Northern Cali are just now drying out.

I'll be moving on to Protocol 1 so hopefully will see more on the course.

Update on my progress.... I changed my graphs from Average to Max since I'm not confident the SwingSpeed Radar picks up every swing accurately. I figure this will reflect my peak potential more accurately.

I've also spaced out my training sessions from every 2 days to every 3 days and upped my swings per session from 3 per side to 5 per side (e.g. 5 RH-Light, 5 LH-Light, etc....) since I'm mixing in other workouts and don't want to be tired going into a session. I also haven't gone from the Intro Protocol to Protocol 1 since I don't have enough room outside and not enough room inside to do the kneeling swings.

That all said, it looks like I'm picking up some speed, albeit in a slower and choppier manner than others. But for instance the Heavy Standing Right is up from earlier days of 107-109 to 111-113... I'll take it! Again it's hard to say if this is translating to course driver distances given inconsistent conditions to make an apples-to-apples comparison, but I 'feel' faster and short irons I feel I've picked up around 5 yards. Still keeping after it! Progress is the positive reinforcement I need to continue!

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

Left Rough, Good to see you're making progress. I think it's just one of those things that you just have to put in the time, be patient, and wait for it to pay off in the long run. Also, we are human beings and our performance will vary day-to-day based on our amount of rest, energy level, what we eat, etc.. I've had days since starting the program where I seem to have taken a step back and I'm hitting the ball a tad shorter, but on the whole, I seem to be making great progress.

Played on Sunday and hit a 331 yard drive on a shortish par 5 (fairways were hard). Guy I was paired with said he'd played the course for 20 years and had only seen one other person hit it to that spot. Hit the green with a nice smooth 7 iron and converted a routine 2 putt birdie. Told the group of strangers I was paired with about the Super Speed sticks and they all wanted to buy them off me...lol.

I am back to 2x a week after taking 1.5 weeks off. Speed has never been better but my iron game is as pure as it has ever been. I started in January and went from 103 to 108 so I will take it and it seems permanant...

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I've been keeping up on my SuperSpeed training. 3 times a week with 1-3 days in between training. I seem to have regressed a hair. Ball speeds have gone down a bit despite hitting some solid shots. I ended up busting out my tour tempo app and that seemed to help a bit. I think I was a bit out of sequence. No topped shots though which is really good. I'll keep doing it though. I think overall, especially in the long run, my ceiling speed will keep rising. Will keep posting updates here. I do need to invest in a radar just for using the SuperSpeed sticks.

I've been keeping up on my SuperSpeed training. 3 times a week with 1-3 days in between training. I seem to have regressed a hair. Ball speeds have gone down a bit despite hitting some solid shots. I ended up busting out my tour tempo app and that seemed to help a bit. I think I was a bit out of sequence. No topped shots though which is really good. I'll keep doing it though. I think overall, especially in the long run, my ceiling speed will keep rising. Will keep posting updates here. I do need to invest in a radar just for using the SuperSpeed sticks.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I feel like 3x/week of protocol 1 without a longer break in there is too much for me. I feel like I get progressively slower with each session if I don't take the occasional 4 day break. I think 3x one week and 2x the next works better for me.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I feel like 3x/week of protocol 1 without a longer break in there is too much for me. I feel like I get progressively slower with each session if I don't take the occasional 4 day break. I think 3x one week and 2x the next works better for me.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm now 11 sessions into the introductory protocol.

I've been tracking the progress of my sessions by recording the max speed on each exercise from each side with each club. For the introductory protocol, that's 13 data points for each session.

Likely due to a number of factors (what time of day I went through the protocol, whether I had already worked out, if I had a few drinks the night before, possibly the accuracy of the SSR, etc) that my max readings on different clubs / exercises jumped around a little, which I don't think was necessarily indicative of my progress. While a statistician would likely poke all sorts of holes in how I'm monitoring my progress, I decided to take an average of my max swing speeds from all of the exercises, and then take a three session rolling average of those average speeds. I feel as though this takes enough of the session to session variability and potential radar errors out to give a good indication of overall progress, as well as validating that I'm improving overall rather than just, for example, on my dominant side, or just with the light club, etc.

The three session averages have so far played out as follows (using just single and two session numbers for the first two sessions)

1 - 108.1 mph

2 - 108.0

3 - 108.7

4 - 108.9

5 - 111.7

6 - 111.9

7 - 113.8

8 - 112.9

9 - 114.2

10 - 113.9

11 - 114.4

A few interesting (to me) things to note.

1. I've followed the program to the letter, doing 3 sessions per week. Usually Mon / Wed / Fri each week. I went on a ski trip over Easter and skipped 3 full days, and did my session when I got home. My average speed in that session (session 5) was 6mph faster than any of my previous sessions.

2. My fastest swing with the lightest club (I bought mine from Superspeed) hasn't really changed much from the first session. My fists session had my fastest swing speed with that club at 127mph, and I've settled in between 128mph and 130mph for most sessions (although I did have one swing at 135mph during session 7).

3. My most dramatic improvements have been with the heavy club, and with all clubs from the non-dominant side (heavy club is up around 7mph on average from my early sessions, non-dominant side swings are up around 13mph on average since my first session).

4. I'm seeing a little change so far on the course / range, but nothing dramatic at this stage. My driver ball speed is usually in the 143mph to 150mph range depending on the swing. I had a fitting on Saturday, and although I saw a couple of miles an hour increase at the top end, what was more noticeable was that I had fewer swings at the bottom end of that range. I worked to make some changes to my swing over the winter and early spring, and that is likely playing a part also, but my ball striking (both with driver and irons) has been very good during the early part of this season. I think at least some of the credit for how well I'm hitting the ball goes to the Superspeed training.

TL, DR - I haven't seen any significant increase in on course swing and ball speeds at this point, but I'm making fewer poor swings with the resultant lower ball speeds. I'm hopeful that as I progress through the protocols, I'll start to see some improvements to my swing speed on good swings and start to see some improved distance.

I have been seeing some encouraging things on the golf course. Even though I have been doing only sporadic speed workouts over the past two weeks, I continue to see my distances build on the course.

I definitely think that doing these workouts too often hurts your progress. I was doing them every other day for a while, and getting limited benefit. Now my goal is twice a week (or less) and the results are much better.

I have been seeing some encouraging things on the golf course. Even though I have been doing only sporadic speed workouts over the past two weeks, I continue to see my distances build on the course.

I definitely think that doing these workouts too often hurts your progress. I was doing them every other day for a while, and getting limited benefit. Now my goal is twice a week (or less) and the results are much better.

That makes sense. The super swing is essentially a high intensity plyometric workout. Your cns probably needs more time to recuperate.

Yep. I had a big speed increase after taking a break for a few days. I feel like you need to be properly primed and rested heading into these workouts or they just add to the cumulative CNS fatigue. 2x/week is really all I can handle on top of my normal weightlifting routine. Also not sure how much benefit I'm seeing from the kneeling swings. I really hate them and I'm almost completely spent by the time I get to the standing swings. My speed increases have leveled off since adding them into the workout a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully, just a temporary plateau as my body adapts.

I'm now 11 sessions into the introductory protocol.

I've been tracking the progress of my sessions by recording the max speed on each exercise from each side with each club. For the introductory protocol, that's 13 data points for each session.

Likely due to a number of factors (what time of day I went through the protocol, whether I had already worked out, if I had a few drinks the night before, possibly the accuracy of the SSR, etc) that my max readings on different clubs / exercises jumped around a little, which I don't think was necessarily indicative of my progress. While a statistician would likely poke all sorts of holes in how I'm monitoring my progress, I decided to take an average of my max swing speeds from all of the exercises, and then take a three session rolling average of those average speeds. I feel as though this takes enough of the session to session variability and potential radar errors out to give a good indication of overall progress, as well as validating that I'm improving overall rather than just, for example, on my dominant side, or just with the light club, etc.

The three session averages have so far played out as follows (using just single and two session numbers for the first two sessions)

1 - 108.1 mph

2 - 108.0

3 - 108.7

4 - 108.9

5 - 111.7

6 - 111.9

7 - 113.8

8 - 112.9

9 - 114.2

10 - 113.9

11 - 114.4

A few interesting (to me) things to note.

1. I've followed the program to the letter, doing 3 sessions per week. Usually Mon / Wed / Fri each week. I went on a ski trip over Easter and skipped 3 full days, and did my session when I got home. My average speed in that session (session 5) was 6mph faster than any of my previous sessions.

2. My fastest swing with the lightest club (I bought mine from Superspeed) hasn't really changed much from the first session. My fists session had my fastest swing speed with that club at 127mph, and I've settled in between 128mph and 130mph for most sessions (although I did have one swing at 135mph during session 7).

3. My most dramatic improvements have been with the heavy club, and with all clubs from the non-dominant side (heavy club is up around 7mph on average from my early sessions, non-dominant side swings are up around 13mph on average since my first session).

4. I'm seeing a little change so far on the course / range, but nothing dramatic at this stage. My driver ball speed is usually in the 143mph to 150mph range depending on the swing. I had a fitting on Saturday, and although I saw a couple of miles an hour increase at the top end, what was more noticeable was that I had fewer swings at the bottom end of that range. I worked to make some changes to my swing over the winter and early spring, and that is likely playing a part also, but my ball striking (both with driver and irons) has been very good during the early part of this season. I think at least some of the credit for how well I'm hitting the ball goes to the Superspeed training.

TL, DR - I haven't seen any significant increase in on course swing and ball speeds at this point, but I'm making fewer poor swings with the resultant lower ball speeds. I'm hopeful that as I progress through the protocols, I'll start to see some improvements to my swing speed on good swings and start to see some improved distance.

A few more sessions since these. Rolling 3 session average for all swings on the introductory program were:

12 - 114.4

13 - 115.2

14 - 116.0

Session 14 (this morning) was interesting. I usually take 1 or 2 days rest between sessions, but I wanted to see if my big spike on 4 days rest earlier in the program was just an aberration. I took 3 days rest, and my session was early this morning, so likely slightly lower speeds than when I'm naturally looser later in the day. My average swing speed for the standalone session was 117.6mph. Setting aside the session I had on 4 days rest, that's 2mph more than my average for any other session. I set my highest ever speeds in 8 of 13 categories.

So it seems pretty clear that extra rest delivers faster swings within the workout. I have know idea whether that translates to the course though. i.e. do higher swing speeds in training sessions translate to higher speeds on course? Or are course swing speeds more driven by just consistently working through the program, regardless of whether training session swing speeds are increasing? Anyone have any thoughts?

A few more sessions since these. Rolling 3 session average for all swings on the introductory program were:

12 - 114.4

13 - 115.2

14 - 116.0

Session 14 (this morning) was interesting. I usually take 1 or 2 days rest between sessions, but I wanted to see if my big spike on 4 days rest earlier in the program was just an aberration. I took 3 days rest, and my session was early this morning, so likely slightly lower speeds than when I'm naturally looser later in the day. My average swing speed for the standalone session was 117.6mph. Setting aside the session I had on 4 days rest, that's 2mph more than my average for any other session. I set my highest ever speeds in 8 of 13 categories.

So it seems pretty clear that extra rest delivers faster swings within the workout. I have know idea whether that translates to the course though. i.e. do higher swing speeds in training sessions translate to higher speeds on course? Or are course swing speeds more driven by just consistently working through the program, regardless of whether training session swing speeds are increasing? Anyone have any thoughts?

Session 15 this morning. 3 session average increased from 116.0mph through session 14 to 117.6mph through session 15.

Session 15 as a standalone session had my highest average speed of any session by 1.6mph at 119.3mph. I set new highest speeds on 6 of the 13 exercises, including a 136mph swing with the green club on the dominant side step change exercise.

I think that wraps up the introductory phase for me. My next session will be protocol 1. I'm still not seeing a huge change in driver swing speed on the course, but continue to see the speed of my slower swings improve (i.e ball speeds at the higher end remain around 150mph, but I'm seeing fewer swings producing less than 144mph). I'm hopeful that I'll start seeing ball speeds on my better swings start to jump as I move through protocol 1.

So today I was swinging a shaft with no head on it as part of trying to heighten my CHS, and I noticed that my swing was considerably faster (a lot) when I swung left arm only (I'm right handed) as opposed to holding the club with both hands. Seems like my right hand is really slowing down my swing speed... anyone have any drills they do to try to take the right hand out of the equation? Thanks.

PING i25 9.5
TMAG Burner 15
Mizuno MP H4 2i
PING i20 3-P
Vokey 52, 58

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update now that we're full on into golf season.

There's no question I'm longer this year, both off the tee and with irons. Before doing this I was probably in the 105 range, +/- 5 MPH. Now I'm in the 110 range +/- 5. I'm not Rory all of a sudden, but I got my 5% or so increase in speed. I've also had a guy I've played with for years comment that I seem to be 20 yards longer this year.

In terms of the program, I'm going at it about once a week for maintenance. That seems to work just find. I peaked about a month in and have been in the same ballpark since.

The 4th hole on my course is uphill the whole way. If you a big hitter, anywhere up near the cart path is an excellent drive which leaves you a small wedge in. Four times playing this hole this year I have flown the cart path every time. I have even one hopped it into the 2nd green side bunker 2 rounds ago.

golf.jpg

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The 4th hole on my course is uphill the whole way. If you a big hitter, anywhere up near the cart path is an excellent drive which leaves you a small wedge in. Four times playing this hole this year I have flown the cart path every time. I have even one hopped it into the 2nd green side bunker 2 rounds ago.

golf.jpg

Lemieux would be proud

Thought I'd give an update now that we're full on into golf season.

There's no question I'm longer this year, both off the tee and with irons. Before doing this I was probably in the 105 range, +/- 5 MPH. Now I'm in the 110 range +/- 5. I'm not Rory all of a sudden, but I got my 5% or so increase in speed. I've also had a guy I've played with for years comment that I seem to be 20 yards longer this year.

In terms of the program, I'm going at it about once a week for maintenance. That seems to work just find. I peaked about a month in and have been in the same ballpark since.

Nice gains there Tripp. I'm almost in the exact same boat. Started out at 105 and I seem to be leveling off at a little over 110 at this point. I had a 2-3 week period where my speed really jumped way up where I was hitting 115-119 which was translating on course as well. Was carrying it 280+ during this period and had a couple of rounds where I averaged north of 300 yards. Not sure what that was about or where that speed went, but the dropoff coincided with moving into protocol 1. I'm about ready to progress to protocol 2, but I'm not sure if I should back off or what. Seems to be an inexact science.

I will say that the added distance is making a big difference in my scoring. I used to average around 2 birdies per 18 holes, but that number is on the rise. Once the speed gains kicked in, my average birdie numbers climbed over 3. And I've made 9 birdies over my last 27 holes alone.

I've been looking into this for a while, but this thread made me pull the trigger. Just got my Superspeed set and radar today. Started off at 109 mph for driver w/ ball, 112 after doing the intro protocol the first time, but went with 5 reps instead of 3 like someone in the thread did. I usually got my max in the first 3 though for each set, but hoping to accelerate the process. I'll be keeping track of max/set, but no point reporting any of that at this point. I'll post some numbers once im a few weeks. Thanks for the inspiration!

I think I need to get back to this. All of my added gains are gone. I couldn't believe my eyes when I tested speed last night and was back in the 103-105 range. When I was doing this religiously I was up in 113-115 range for a hard but smooth swing and topped out at 119. Where the heck has my speed gone???

I have noticed if you get away from the program that the large muscles start to take over again. Grab a shaft with no weight on it and by the end of the session your speed will come right back and you will feel more balanced. I noticed with my swing when I start to sway a bit I loose my club head speed. Difference is close to 12mph for me. I have been having the best drives of my life and the only swing thoughts are "Club face straight back until the weight shifts and load all my weight on the inside of my back foot" from there I can just rip at the ball. I know I have my sequencing down when I can feel the load of the club shaft at the top of my swing on my left thumb and the pressure stays there until my hands are down by my waist. SSR reads around 112-114 while the Mevo reads 104-107mph

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I think I need to get back to this. All of my added gains are gone. I couldn't believe my eyes when I tested speed last night and was back in the 103-105 range. When I was doing this religiously I was up in 113-115 range for a hard but smooth swing and topped out at 119. Where the heck has my speed gone???

I have noticed if you get away from the program that the large muscles start to take over again. Grab a shaft with no weight on it and by the end of the session your speed will come right back and you will feel more balanced. I noticed with my swing when I start to sway a bit I loose my club head speed. Difference is close to 12mph for me. I have been having the best drives of my life and the only swing thoughts are "Club face straight back until the weight shifts and load all my weight on the inside of my back foot" from there I can just rip at the ball. I know I have my sequencing down when I can feel the load of the club shaft at the top of my swing on my left thumb and the pressure stays there until my hands are down by my waist. SSR reads around 112-114 while the Mevo reads 104-107mph

My mevo reads consistently faster than my SSR. The exact opposite of what some/most are reporting in the mevo thread.

My mevo reads consistently faster than my SSR. The exact opposite of what some/most are reporting in the mevo thread.

Do you have the SRR in the golf setting? Comparing my SSR speed to a fairly recent lesson with trackman, swinging my driver with ball, the baseball setting on the SSR seem to match trackman numbers much closer than the SSR golf setting numbers. Anyone else tried or noticed this?

Do you have the SRR in the golf setting? Comparing my SSR speed to a fairly recent lesson with trackman, swinging my driver with ball, the baseball setting on the SSR seem to match trackman numbers much closer than the SSR golf setting numbers. Anyone else tried or noticed this?

How do you change SSR to baseball or golf mode?