The IN's and OUT's of COLLEGE GOLF

My daughter is a HS sophomore and junior golfer. We proactively began the recruiting process at the end of her freshman year by doing some campus tours and unofficial visits with golf coaches. Recently, she completed a resume that we sent out to about 50 college coaches.

Girl's college golf is certainly less competitive than boys in terms of getting recruited, but not necessarily so at the big D1 schools with top ranked programs. They are very competitive and it's like an arms race to secure the best players. Most of the top 2016 graduates have already committed, and even some of the top 2017s.

There are plenty of great colleges and universities with less (relative) competitive golf programs that will provide opportunities for players that are not necessarily the top level junior players for their graduating class.

It will be interesting to see where my daughter ends up. Her resume is decent, with good grades and having made it to last year's USGA Girl's Junior plus several IJGT victories and a couple AJGA top 5s. I think a lot will depend on how well she does in her 2015 season. The NCAA rules IMHO make the entire process pretty cryptic and confusing, and somehow the top programs figure out a way "around end" to get the top players verbally committed earlier than you would imagine given the rules.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link to the Junior Golf Scoreboard's list of college signings for 2015. It can give you an idea of the number of foreign players, and the rankings of junior players signing at various schools.

http://www.juniorgolfscoreboard.com/early_signees.asp?sort=school

My daughter signed to play in the Missouri Valley Conference. She's not a top level junior, but had her share of decent finishes at junior events. And she's long. Hits her irons especially long. We started sending out resumes in the Summer before her junior year in high school. Just kept sending updates to coaches whether they responded or not. After she started very well this last Spring coaches came to watch her play. That's where her length and maturity on the course worked to her advantage. She had five offers, all at programs similar to what you find in the Missouri Valley Conference. No top level programs because she's not that good. But she had options, and was offered very nice scholarships. I'm guessing monetarily better than a lot of better players get at top ranked programs. And she's going to get a great education. The education was the deciding factor in her decision, as she was torn between three different programs. And when we started this whole thing six years ago the education was the pot of gold. Hell, we spent all her college money on junior golf. lol.

There are lots of opportunities out there for girls. You can't be shy about pursuing them, and you have to be realistic about where your junior golfer fits in the overall picture.

• 1 month later...

"The misconception commonly had by many juniors is that a Division 1 team is always better then Division 3 teams, on average yes, but there are PLENTY of schools in lower divisions that would and could compete with the top level division 1 teams"

This is a great point I played for one of the best D3 programs in the country and had a blast. It was Better 2 be a Big fish in a small pond than riding the pine at a top D1 program or playing for a lower end D1 program and constantly getting our a** kicked just to say I wAs playing D1

I can't lie and say we could xompete with the top D1 programs but we definitely couple play with a lot of them . I played every tournament we went to for the whole 4 years and has a blast. Those r my best golf memories

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1417839643' post='10551213']
Here's a link to the Junior Golf Scoreboard's list of college signings for 2015. It can give you an idea of the number of foreign players, and the rankings of junior players signing at various schools.

My daughter signed to play in the Missouri Valley Conference. She's not a top level junior, but had her share of decent finishes at junior events. And she's long. Hits her irons especially long. We started sending out resumes in the Summer before her junior year in high school. Just kept sending updates to coaches whether they responded or not. After she started very well this last Spring coaches came to watch her play. That's where her length and maturity on the course worked to her advantage. She had five offers, all at programs similar to what you find in the Missouri Valley Conference. No top level programs because she's not that good. But she had options, and was offered very nice scholarships. I'm guessing monetarily better than a lot of better players get at top ranked programs. And she's going to get a great education. The education was the deciding factor in her decision, as she was torn between three different programs. And when we started this whole thing six years ago the education was the pot of gold. Hell, we spent all her college money on junior golf. lol.

There are lots of opportunities out there for girls. You can't be shy about pursuing them, and you have to be realistic about where your junior golfer fits in the overall picture.
[/quote]

Thanks for this post. I too have a daughter who is a good junior player. She's in 10th grade, so from what I've gathered, this upcoming season will be critical in determining the types of opportunities she'll have for college golf.

She had a decent season last year, highlights included: 2nd place in an AJGA JAS, top 5 at the IJGT Tournament of Champions, shot 73 in qualifying to make it to the USGA Girl's Championships in AZ, shot 77-73 to win an IJGT event. Unfortunately, her clubs were lost/stolen by one of the airlines toward the end of the season. They were never recovered, and between the equipment change and some swing issues she lost her confidence and did not perform her best toward the end of the 2014 season, shooting a handful of sub-stellar high 70s/low 80s scores.

Anyway, we've heard that some of the top players in her graduation year (2017) have already verbally committed. She put together a nice resume' and sent it to quite a few coaches. Several have called her swing coach to express interest, but no offers yet. It's all a bit confusing because technically coaches can't contact kids until September of their junior year in HS, yet we repeatedly hear about these early verbal commitments.

In any event, it's a perplexing process. In many ways it seems to me that NCAA rules just complicate things unnecessarily, and coaches and top players figure out a way "around end" anyway. These very early verbal commitments seem risky to me for both the kids, and the schools making them offers.

I feel pretty well informed to help my daughter through this process, but any suggestions or advice here would be much appreciated.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1422197293' post='10814379']
[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1417839643' post='10551213']

[/quote]

Thanks for this post. I too have a daughter who is a good junior player. She's in 10th grade, so from what I've gathered, this upcoming season will be critical in determining the types of opportunities she'll have for college golf.

She had a decent season last year, highlights included: 2nd place in an AJGA JAS, top 5 at the IJGT Tournament of Champions, shot 73 in qualifying to make it to the USGA Girl's Championships in AZ, shot 77-73 to win an IJGT event. Unfortunately, her clubs were lost/stolen by one of the airlines toward the end of the season. They were never recovered, and between the equipment change and some swing issues she lost her confidence and did not perform her best toward the end of the 2014 season, shooting a handful of sub-stellar high 70s/low 80s scores.

Anyway, we've heard that some of the top players in her graduation year (2017) have already verbally committed. She put together a nice resume' and sent it to quite a few coaches. Several have called her swing coach to express interest, but no offers yet. It's all a bit confusing because technically coaches can't contact kids until September of their junior year in HS, yet we repeatedly hear about these early verbal commitments.

In any event, it's a perplexing process. In many ways it seems to me that NCAA rules just complicate things unnecessarily, and coaches and top players figure out a way "around end" anyway. These very early verbal commitments seem risky to me for both the kids, and the schools making them offers.

I feel pretty well informed to help my daughter through this process, but any suggestions or advice here would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

The early commitments seem to be becoming the norm as some rules have loosened, and girls are playing better younger.

Stay in contact with schools you might be interested in. She's more accomplished than my daughter was at that age, and maybe even now. I suspect she'll have a lot of options. After a good Spring in 10th grade mine struggled mightily in the Summer. Had a confidence problem to go with a swing issue. She had some scores in the 80s and even the 90s at an AJGA and the Women's Western Match Play. Your daughter sounds well ahead of that. Boy mine would lose her mind if her clubs disappeared.

It was our experience that if you're realistic in your expectations, those coaches pay attention and overlook some bad scores. They appreciate tenacity. Upper level programs don't have to. One thing we learned quickly when the phone started ringing on 7/1 of the pre-senior summer, is programs in "realistic" conferences were willing to offer a lot more. It was surprising the difference. And for a girl, if she has power, they'll get past some short game deficiencies. They love the hitters. Every single coach that had interest emphasized my daughter's length. That once she got into their training programs, they would make her longer and stronger.

It's a fun but stressful process. My daughter had friends that she played with in state events for years, and they were pretty devastated when they didn't reach the level they hoped. We knew if my daughter was going to play in The Big 10 or similar, it would be as a hanger on or hopeful. We didn't want that for her. And she didn't either. As it stands she's so excited to be headed where she is, and know she's going where the coach looks on her as an important addition. And she's going to get a fantastic education, which was at the heart of the plan when she started playing seriously six years ago.

Anyway, I don't know if that helps, or just sounds like me boasting. I hope it gives some insight into how we approached the process.

You post isn't boastful at all. You SHOULD be proud of your kid's accomplishments and successes. It's one of the great joys of life IMO.

I suppose this year is a very important one for my kid. I think the greatest challenge is going to be keeping it FUN, and avoiding the inevitable sense of pressure as the clock ticks.

We've been around junior golf long enough now to witness some real nightmares. Kids who seemed exceptionally promising at 12 years old not living up to their parent's and their own expectations. Others trying to play "catch-up," running to every tournament possible in hopes of scoring and placing well, and getting noticed. I've even seen a few parents enroll their girls into full time golf academies in their junior or senior years of HS,in hopes of big-time improvement, but so far I've not seen the ROI on that.

At this point my kid has a good foundation. I will support her ambitions as much as possible, but ultimately it's going to be up to her. The sacrifices, commitment, time, effort, etc., are on her. I'll support and encourage but try not to push. The right opportunity will ultimately present itself.

In terms of college, she knows enough to look at it comprehensively. Academics, golf program, coach and coaching pholosophy, teammates, culture, geographic location, etc. All things to consider. I figure the better she plays this season, the more opportunities she'll have, and better the likelihood of finding the right fit.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

You know what you're doing. She's going to do great. We avoided my daughter feeling like every swing counted last Spring and early Summer, but boy, I can tell you I sweated every shot. I managed to not pass my stress to her. I've seen a lot pf parents, I know you have too, that really ramp up the crazy. We traveled a little, she played locally too, and we had a good time. Greatest Summer of my life. My wife had taken a new job so she couldn't accompany us like she had previously, so we missed her.

Does your daughter send tournament updates to the coaches who have expressed interest? Mine did that religiously, even to some that did not appear to have much interest, but did respond a little. Good or bad, she sent them with a little recap. No excuses for poor rounds, just "I missed too many putts. I need to hit it straighter. I'll get them next time." When she did get her offers she got positive feedback about doing that. When she put together some good scores/tournaments at a couple tough venues, interest really increased from a couple coaches, and solidified it for others. Encouraged a couple to come watch her play, and then they saw her hit it. You're in a good spot because your daughter has played well earlier than mine did.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1422205557' post='10815009']
You know what you're doing. She's going to do great. We avoided my daughter feeling like every swing counted last Spring and early Summer, but boy, I can tell you I sweated every shot. I managed to not pass my stress to her. I've seen a lot pf parents, I know you have too, that really ramp up the crazy. We traveled a little, she played locally too, and we had a good time. Greatest Summer of my life. My wife had taken a new job so she couldn't accompany us like she had previously, so we missed her.

Does your daughter send tournament updates to the coaches who have expressed interest? Mine did that religiously, even to some that did not appear to have much interest, but did respond a little. Good or bad, she sent them with a little recap. No excuses for poor rounds, just "I missed too many putts. I need to hit it straighter. I'll get them next time." When she did get her offers she got positive feedback about doing that. When she put together some good scores/tournaments at a couple tough venues, interest really increased from a couple coaches, and solidified it for others. Encouraged a couple to come watch her play, and then they saw her hit it. You're in a good spot because your daughter has played well earlier than mine did.
[/quote]

Great advice about sending out updates. She has not played in any tournaments since sending out the resume', and we're in the Northeast, so she probably won't play in anything until Spring. We were hoping she'd get an invitation to the Kathy Whitworth, which is in Ft. Worth in March, but they just posted the field and she didn't make it. She's still holding out hope that she could make it as an alternate, but they haven't posted that list yet so we don't know where she stands.

I will encourage her to keep the email updates going once her season begins. Thanks, and best of luck to you and your daughter!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1422208674' post='10815251']
[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1422205557' post='10815009']

[/quote]

Great advice about sending out updates. She has not played in any tournaments since sending out the resume', and we're in the Northeast, so she probably won't play in anything until Spring. We were hoping she'd get an invitation to the Kathy Whitworth, which is in Ft. Worth in March, but they just posted the field and she didn't make it. She's still holding out hope that she could make it as an alternate, but they haven't posted that list yet so we don't know where she stands.

I will encourage her to keep the email updates going once her season begins. Thanks, and best of luck to you and your daughter!
[/quote]

Same to you, my friend. I think you're in a great position. Stronger than we were. PM me any time if you have a more specific question. Does she play any Peggy Kirk Bell events? They have some strong fields, and we had a coach out east we dealt with that really likes that tour.

She has not done any PKB events, but I'll take a look at their schedule. We do mostly IJGT because they have a lot of events within reasonable driving distance, and at nice venues. They are a little expensive as far tournaments go, but nothing compared to air travel, hotels, car rentals, meals on the road, etc.

My folk's live in FL so we'll do a couple events there, probably an AJGA Open, and the IJGT TOC again. Choosing events near them in FL saves us on car rental fees and meals/lodging if close enough to their place.

Hopefully she'll get back to the USGA Girl's Junior again, and maybe the Big I, so I'll be saving for those events. This year I might also have her try to qualify for the USGA Women's Open and Am, depending on the dates.

There's a lot to this stuff. A kid with parents unwilling to support and essentially partner with them in their pursuits stands little chance...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1422215565' post='10815879']
She has not done any PKB events, but I'll take a look at their schedule. We do mostly IJGT because they have a lot of events within reasonable driving distance, and at nice venues. They are a little expensive as far tournaments go, but nothing compared to air travel, hotels, car rentals, meals on the road, etc.

My folk's live in FL so we'll do a couple events there, probably an AJGA Open, and the IJGT TOC again. Choosing events near them in FL saves us on car rental fees and meals/lodging if close enough to their place.

Hopefully she'll get back to the USGA Girl's Junior again, and maybe the Big I, so I'll be saving for those events. This year I might also have her try to qualify for the USGA Women's Open and Am, depending on the dates.

There's a lot to this stuff. A kid with parents unwilling to support and essentially partner with them in their pursuits stands little chance...
[/quote]

We always tried to keep it as affordable as we could. My daughter only played four AGJA events over her career, and all were fairly local. We've flown to a total of one event. She's played Plantations Tour, MAJGT, one Hurricane Tour event, and events put on by our State PGA. One Junior Girls qualifier (did not make it), and one U.S. AM. If you're daughter hasn't played the Women's Western Match Play, I can't recommend it enough. It's a week long event, but so much fun. 96 entries of various skill levels. Two days of stroke play, then they flight the girls for match play. Top 32 in the championship flight. The older ladies that run it are a hoot, and they make sure the course is tough. It's in Durham, NC this coming year. The last two were in the Midwest.

• 3 months later...

Great topic!! This would have been helpful reading right when I got out of high school!

I just finished my senior year of college golf. I started my freshman year playing at an NAIA school and transferred to a JuCo AGAIN transferred to a DII school. I can say that there were kids at each level that could have competed at the highest DI levels. My biggest advice for someone who is looking at playing college golf would be to make sure the school is a good fit for them. That was my biggest mistake my freshman year. People get too tied up in playing at the DI level that they forget that some schools at the NAIA level and DII level are just as good. I believe that another thing kids make the mistake of is waiting for college coaches to contact them. EMAIL COACHES!!! They hardly have any time to look for kids unless they're the kids winning AJGA events like the first thread states. Let the coaches know you're interested!

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. I tell all my friends that have daughters to get them into golf if you want help paying for college. I got paired with some girls in a practice round for a pretty big amateur tourney here in AZ. Think you had to under 20 to play so there were several college girls playing. One of the girls was very pleasant and answered all my questions. She played at UNLV. She was small and didn't have much distance but scrambled pretty well and hit it straight. I would say she shot in the high 70's and was a starter with a full ride. Said there were plenty of schools with girls that couldn't break 80. The most interesting thing she told me was that they were a Nike school so all of her gear had her name on them and she got everything she needed as far as balls, shoes, etc.... They had a laundry service in the dorm that delivered and could play any course except one, Shadow Creek. She then told me not only do the men's team get to play Shadow but it's there home course. And sometimes Steve Wynn flys them to their matches on his jet.

So keep those young ladies out there practicing. There is a spot for them somewhere. I can actually remember my college days and a girl I had known for a few years told me she is on the golf team with a full ride. I was shocked. Had no idea she played. Asked her what she shot and she says 115 on average. Then it hit me. Title IX

[quote name='AZGolfer1969' timestamp='1432073083' post='11588980']
Great thread. I tell all my friends that have daughters to get them into golf if you want help paying for college. I got paired with some girls in a practice round for a pretty big amateur tourney here in AZ. Think you had to under 20 to play so there were several college girls playing. One of the girls was very pleasant and answered all my questions. She played at UNLV. She was small and didn't have much distance but scrambled pretty well and hit it straight. I would say she shot in the high 70's and was a starter with a full ride. Said there were plenty of schools with girls that couldn't break 80. The most interesting thing she told me was that they were a Nike school so all of her gear had her name on them and she got everything she needed as far as balls, shoes, etc.... They had a laundry service in the dorm that delivered and could play any course except one, Shadow Creek. She then told me not only do the men's team get to play Shadow but it's there home course. And sometimes Steve Wynn flys them to their matches on his jet.

So keep those young ladies out there practicing. There is a spot for them somewhere. I can actually remember my college days and a girl I had known for a few years told me she is on the golf team with a full ride. I was shocked. Had no idea she played. Asked her what she shot and she says 115 on average. Then it hit me. Title IX
[/quote]

Of course just checked out golfstat.com and the UNLV girl that I said didn't hit it very far and shot high 70's is know one of the top players in the country. Very impressive scores.

• 8 months later...

I also played D1 golf without any AJGA events and only 1 IJGT event. I finished respectably in a number of more local tournaments but my big seller was academic record showing I did a lot more than just golf and school.

Every little thing you can put on a resume helps!

n addition, there are several solid programs in all the divisions that will accept a number of freshman into their tryouts and have some flexible roster space for any standouts.

Lastly, try and focus on local schools because it is so much easier to maximize face time with the coaches. A big part of the coach's decision is finding athletes he feels he can trust to be an influence and add value to the team's atmosphere everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. We went to the local fabric store and got a piece of smooth felt. As a single layer, it stimps at around 12. If we want it slower, we double layer it. Cost: $20.

My son is now almost 14. No AJGA events yet. He's a bit late to the puberty party, so patience is required.

What I don't get is that, if you want to be a pro, you're most likely going to Web.com q school after college. How, exactly, does a D1 school help you there? They don't give you special points just because you have an "Alabama" or "Oklahoma State" emblem on your shirt.

• 1 year later...

Awesome post. Appears you definitely need to come from some money to play college golf as well. I can only imagine how much it can cost to get to all those larger junior tournaments that appear to be a necessity to get noticed.

LOL... A must is a Line of Credit. It isn't the cost of the tournaments, it is the cost of travel that kills you.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Awesome post. Appears you definitely need to come from some money to play college golf as well. I can only imagine how much it can cost to get to all those larger junior tournaments that appear to be a necessity to get noticed.

LOL... A must is a Line of Credit. It isn't the cost of the tournaments, it is the cost of travel that kills you.

Yup, that's what I meant. Travel and Room. I better apply for that HELOC now. LOL

• 5 months later...

I played for a small school in Michigan. We competed in the USCAA and than right as I was graduating they were making the move to the NAIA. It was always competitive, alot of kids shot in the low 70s. I wasn't the best golfer in high school but this was an up incoming golf program that saw potential in me. I didn't play alot until my senior year but it the experience made me really love golf and want to keep getting better as I get older. If you're a good golfer but do not think you can play at a DI - DIII right away I would suggest playing for a small school or a school with a new program so you can play alot and hopefully shoot low enough scores so you can transfer to a better program.

the reality of it is, if you don't absolute dominate everyone in your events as a junior, don't consider playing D1 golf. guys on my team, myself included, had great junior careers. at the college level, we fight to just finish respectably. if you're not showing up to tournaments as a favorite to win, don't even bother.

• 1 month later...

I agree with 99% of all people in this topic but I also would like to say in my opinion, go into every single day with no expectations, I feel that many people expect so much out of life and seem to look into the future so much, like in my opinion I don't think there is a reason to look 6 years into the future. I believe that if you go into every scenario in life with no expectations then anyone can be successful. PLUS, if you guys really think about it golf is a sport in college where your not on a time constraint aka you don't need to go to college to be drafted ie NBA, NFL, etc. You can really fail in college and after 4 years you can still find a way to make it on the tour. Idk these are just my thoughts and opinions, please don't try to burn me to much lmao hahahaha

I agree with 99% of all people in this topic but I also would like to say in my opinion, go into every single day with no expectations, I feel that many people expect so much out of life and seem to look into the future so much, like in my opinion I don't think there is a reason to look 6 years into the future. I believe that if you go into every scenario in life with no expectations then anyone can be successful. PLUS, if you guys really think about it golf is a sport in college where your not on a time constraint aka you don't need to go to college to be drafted ie NBA, NFL, etc. You can really fail in college and after 4 years you can still find a way to make it on the tour. Idk these are just my thoughts and opinions, please don't try to burn me to much lmao hahahaha

A lot of truth to this.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

the reality of it is, if you don't absolute dominate everyone in your events as a junior, don't consider playing D1 golf. guys on my team, myself included, had great junior careers. at the college level, we fight to just finish respectably. if you're not showing up to tournaments as a favorite to win, don't even bother.

I guess dominate is a relative term but I put a link below to something that the Golf Association of Philadelphia does each Fall and Spring to update how players from association clubs are doing in college. I counted quickly and there were 41 boys on that list (and I know a few others that are not included) playing D1 golf and they did not all dominate as juniors, at least by how I would define dominate. Obviously you cannot be a scrub and play D1 but I think some overstate the level that you need to play at as a junior.

http://www.gapgolf.org/detail.asp?id=129&pid=3

• 1 month later...

My son went to the Barracuda. Was there for three days. Talked to several players and caddies. Most of these guys did not grow up with much money. Typical profile is from a small town in the south. Played high school golf. No fancy country club. These guys are scrappers. Been at it for a long time.

Generally speaking, not the longest hitters, either.

My son also witnessed a couple of instances of cheating.

• 3 months later...