Rory McIlroy Ball Change Soon?

GolfGrouch

I'm truly impressed that amateurs can tell a major difference between one ball and another when hit into the wind. Not just a difference but a major difference. Especially considering that an exact swing can't be duplicated and the conditions are constantly changing. Just amazing.

The only reason Rory is making a big deal out of it is because he didn't win. Why he thinks he needs a scapegoat is rather disparaging.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think a low single or plus handicap amateur can't replicate his swing you are dead wrong . Don't mean to be harsh. But amateur is a very broad brush. And at one end are guys who can flat play.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm truly impressed that amateurs can tell a major difference between one ball and another when hit into the wind. Not just a difference but a major difference. Especially considering that an exact swing can't be duplicated and the conditions are constantly changing. Just amazing.

The only reason Rory is making a big deal out of it is because he didn't win. Why he thinks he needs a scapegoat is rather disparaging.

Uh, I'm nothing special and I could easily tell the difference between the new ProV1 and the X, and what the wind was doing to them,that I was testing head-to-head this past weekend before placing my loyalty order. I remember those stories about Tiger being able to tell the minute (~2 grams) difference in driver heads that were supposed to be identical. These guys really are that good.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

If you think a low single or plus handicap amateur can't replicate his swing you are dead wrong . Don't mean to be harsh. But amateur is a very broad brush. And at one end are guys who can flat play.

I'm sorry but it's a fact. Nobody can duplicate the exact same swing. That includes Tiger and Jack. Has nothing to do whether anyone can flat out play or not. Nobody.

I'm sorry but it's a fact. Nobody can duplicate the exact same swing. That includes Tiger and Jack. Has nothing to do whether anyone can flat out play or not. Nobody.

Lol. Well ok. I don't disagree. But to your point doesnt that mean that nobody can tell a difference from ball to ball ? Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

One of the oldest sayings in golf is that the wind does not touch a well struck shot. There are certainly some balls that perform better than others in wind for amateurs who don't strike it purely every time, but the pros hit it so good they can cut through the wind with any ball. I am of the school of thought that Rorys wind problems were more indian than arrow.

ProV1 sucks so bad it's BY FAR the #1 ball on tour. It's not even close.

Rory has turned into a whiney baby blaming every one and every thing for his poor play rather than realize you can't win without putting

in the effort and hard work.

Have another cup of kool aid and a lie down.

What kool aid am I drinking? The FACT the ProV is the #1 ball played on the PGA Tour? BY FAR?

I don't drink kool aid, but thanks for permission.

Rory has turned into a whiney baby blaming every one and every thing for his poor play rather than realize you can't win without putting

What kool aid am I drinking? The FACT the ProV is the #1 ball played on the PGA Tour? BY FAR?

No doubt the Pro V is an excellent ball. It would be foolish to argue otherwise. However the reason it's the No. 1 ball on tour BY FAR is because Titleist pay more than anyone else BY FAR for it to be so.

So how many dollars do Titleist, Taylormade, Bridgestone, Callaway and Srixon pay a PGA Tour player to use their brand of ball?

Let's say you are the 90th ranked player on Tour and want to get paid to use whatever ball someone will pay you the most to use. Are we talking a hundred bucks a week? A thousand? And how much more does one brand pay than another?

One of the oldest sayings in golf is that the wind does not touch a well struck shot. There are certainly some balls that perform better than others in wind for amateurs who don't strike it purely every time, but the pros hit it so good they can cut through the wind with any ball. I am of the school of thought that Rorys wind problems were more indian than arrow.

Ha, I can't get on with this. I hear what you are saying, but I think we can all agree that Rory strikes it pretty well....

It clearly indicates prior to The Masters that Rory was concerned with spin. He explained this reasoning when changing to the 2017 M2 Tour f/woods prior to the tournament. The conditions clearly made things difficult for Rory and others to control the ball in changing wind gusts during the event. For someone who hits the ball so good, and could hit through the wind with any ball, then the indian has a reason to question his arrow?

Yea and people thought the earth was flat too.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

No doubt the Pro V is an excellent ball. It would be foolish to argue otherwise. However the reason it's the No. 1 ball on tour BY FAR is because Titleist pay more than anyone else BY FAR for it to be so.

PGA Tour professionals CARE LESS about how much money they are paid by a ball manufacturer... It is not worth the sacrifice to play a ball that is not optimal for their own game as it is the difference between a missed cut and keeping their card from year to year. THIS IS FACT!!!

I would have thought that Rory would have noticed issues with his golf ball in the wind WELL BEFORE Augusta... He has no club or ball contract in order to play the best equipment for his game. He has been playing the ProV1X almost since Nike went "86" and now he complains about the flight? Com'on man!!! #scapegoat

I switched from the ProV1X (played since its inception) to the new 2017 Pro V1 because, 1. Driver length is just as long as the X, 2. Softer feel all around, 3. Less spin and better flighted trajectory on irons and wedges, 4. Consistent short game control on every shot.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

PGA Tour professionals CARE LESS about how much money they are paid by a ball manufacturer... It is not worth the sacrifice to play a ball that is not optimal for their own game as it is the difference between a missed cut and keeping their card from year to year. THIS IS FACT!!!

I would have thought that Rory would have noticed issues with his golf ball in the wind WELL BEFORE Augusta... He has no club or ball contract in order to play the best equipment for his game. He has been playing the ProV1X almost since Nike went "86" and now he complains about the flight? Com'on man!!! #scapegoat

I switched from the ProV1X (played since its inception) to the new 2017 Pro V1 because, 1. Driver length is just as long as the X, 2. Softer feel all around, 3. Less spin and better flighted trajectory on irons and wedges, 4. Consistent short game control on every shot.

Did you try out other companies' balls? Or did you just stick to Titleist? I see you're a PGA pro, and you might have a teaching professionals deal with Titleist...but there are much better balls out there than Titleist nowadays. That may not have been the case 10 years ago. I think if you removed the ball contract from the tour, Titleist would no longer be the most commonly used ball.

There are a lot great golf balls on the market and everyone will find or believe one is better than the other for their own particular game. Amateurs will choose a ball based a number of different parameters, i.e. Greens side performance, distance, wind performance, etc. but I'd guarantee that the majority of golfers , but not all, will choose the ball that is best for their game AND has the lowest price. Obviously Titleist is the most expensive.

I do get my equipment for no charge but to test other manufacturers. If I'm going to sell something I need to know how to compare product in real life testing. Every golf ball has its pluses and minuses that match up best with each individual.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

I love this plug. I'll admit it, if I was a Titleist staffer, I would be doing the same thing. Keep it up brother!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Rory is now using the TM TP5x...

C_ZLkHWXoAEUbwj.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Guys don't worry he'll probably be at PXG in 3 or so years!

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1