Someone's lyin' about their golf game when they....

I don't know how to not lie when talking about my scores. I only post tournament rounds on my handicap online and I have scores that range from a +1.2 to a 13. I usually just say I'm inconsistent because I know I can shoot 70 but I know I also can shoot 85 if I play bad.

If I say that I am a 2.1 handicap and then shoot 82, people think I'm lying so usually I go with, "i'm not really sure." lol

The plight of a 12 whose home course is wide open. I'll get paired with guys and if they ask my handicap I'm just like "ehhh all that matters is if my short game is on or not". If I actually give a number they'll either think I'm hustling them if I go out in 34 (actually had that happen but luckily it was only over $5) or think I'm an idiot if I go out in 50. Flip a coin.

If I'm on a different track with trees/OB/hazards then my score will pretty consistently be high 80s. At least that's predictable.

Agree. If I play my college's home course I know I'll never shoot above a 76 even if I play awful just because it's so wide open. But put me on a tight tree lined course where I have to hit the fairway and what I'll shoot is dependent on what my driver does for the most part.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, they're out there, they lie about their game, their shots, their equipment, where they've been, who they've met or played with, or they potentially will make up lies some day, so you know they're coming... what did they or will they lie about when it comes to golf?

I don't know what they get out of it. For one thing, they know it's not true, for another most people simply don't care.

When someone you play with all the time texts you about their low 80's rounds, but whenever you play with them they shoot in the mid 90's (even on easy courses)

Also you have reason to believe that mid 90's score conveniently left out a penalty, or two, or three.

When same dude tells you he drives it 250-260 yet every time you play with him you hit your 3 hybrid further than his driver (and your 3h goes 230-240ish)

Ok, they're out there, they lie about their game, their shots, their equipment, where they've been, who they've met or played with, or they potentially will make up lies some day, so you know they're coming... what did they or will they lie about when it comes to golf?

I don't know what they get out of it. For one thing, they know it's not true, for another most people simply don't care.

I think some people just go through life lying about themselves to others, and golf is just one aspect of it.

The women they hooked up with, what they paid for their car, how they're not financially distressed, their salary, etc.

I think some people just go through life lying about themselves to others, and golf is just one aspect of it.

The women they hooked up with, what they paid for their car, how they're not financially distressed, their salary, etc.

Did you see thrillhouse running around the forums bragging about talking the dealer down to $28,000 for his brand new Honda Odyssey? No, you didn't, he could have, but thrillhouse is too humble.

:happy: I like it, the third person thing. "Jimmy can jump."

Did you see thrillhouse running around the forums bragging about talking the dealer down to $28,000 for his brand new Honda Odyssey? No, you didn't, he could have, but thrillhouse is too humble.

Is that you Jack Pearsall?

Like someone said on here, these are a popular style of thread because people love to hate. A good amateur golfer is aesthically pleasing. They look like they know what the'yre doing but are liable to chip over a green or three put. We all know what that can do to a score over 18 holes. We're all inconsistent and that's the great divider in sports. The pros are consistent but the separation comes from the guys who consistently bag those few extra birdies over a course while getting pars in their sleep on the rest of the holes. None of us are that good but for a few days a year when it all comes together. All said, scoring is important for amateurs in telling how good they are but you can more or less just get a feel by playing with them. Amateurs should go by how many balls they use. If someone shoots a 92 with two balls, I would say they know what they're doing and you can probably trust them if they said they've shot a 71 before.

Thank god I'm not alone.

Usually I reply with "I wont slow you down" if someone new asks my handicap.

I've shot from 65 to 83 in the last year. Depends on the day.

Usually too much talk is a red flag for me. Telling me a few minutes into the day how low they shot last week, or how unusual the first couple drives were etc.

The best golfers I know let the clubs do the talking.

Played with a guy a few weeks ago who "tagged" himself as an "8.............from the tips."

I introduced myself as a "7.8...............from Virginia."

• Blatant ignorance about the HC system = lies.

10-4. Course Handicap

A player's Course Handicap is determined by multiplying a Handicap Index by the Slope Rating of the tees played and then dividing by 113. (See Section 3-3.) The resulting figure is rounded off to the nearest whole number (.5 or more is rounded upward).

So, does that mean you're lying?

I understand course HC well.

Yes, he was lying. Only because he wasn't playing the tips. He was playing one up with me and another guy. He "advertised" his HC on the first tee and then subsequently pulled his first tee ball directly left. And, according to my scorecard that I kept for all three, he shot +18, I shot +6 and my friend shot +11. On 18, when I asked how he finished, he stated he was a little off, "but 79 ain't bad".

6648/133/71.3

par 72

A lair and a DB.

Fair enough, and perhaps he was lying (I am a 9.6 index, and have shot more than my fair share of 90s recently, which included many pulled/pushed/hooked/sliced shots, but never included an "I shot 79" when in fact I didn't). However, I was just pointing out that what he said is not "blatant ignorance of the handicap system", but actually a better understanding than most have if he knew what he was actually talking about.

He had no idea. He embellished about his game and his understanding of the HC system to sound or appear "better" perhaps. I don't know. That's why I called him ignorant. Here is my point. I am confused why people have to embellish their golf game. Why not just shake hands and play for the sport/fun of it?

My friend of 25 years often says, and I believe it to be true, "Most people think a person's true personality comes out when they're drunk, I disagree. I believe you see a person's true personality during a round of golf."

Now bear in mind, I have a picture of this guy, bombed out of his mind wearing a golf visor, a woman's bikini bottom and clogs. Granted, the photo was taken at his home that resides on the 14th hole of a golf course, and we had played earlier that day. He played well, as I recall.

... say things like-

I know that looked like a swing, but it was a practice swing...

I pulled a back muscle moving a couch for my buddy, so my drives probably won't be as long today....

A slice, I never slice, what's up with that?'...

On closest to the pin at our league outing last Thursday night, I won it on #15, I was 3" away, 3"-made $60 !...

I know a guy on the grounds crew here, he can get me on for free, any time, any day, he's off today though...

I got 2 birdies in one hole once on a par 4, hit my drive, duffed the second shot, 3rd shot hit a blackbird on a limb, killed it, bounced off another limb onto the green into the hole,

I kid you not, really, seriously...I was like, are you kidding me, no way?

My GIR last year was like 90% ...

I got some of that deer antler spray, all my drives were over 300, but my wife made me stop usin' it...

My friend of 25 years often says, and I believe it to be true, "Most people think a person's true personality comes out when they're drunk, I disagree. I believe you see a person's true personality during a round of golf."

I completely agree about alcohol not being the truth serum people think it is. I think it makes people say things they normally wouldn't, but not so much bringing out their true personality.

I completely agree about alcohol not being the truth serum people think it is. I think it makes people say things they normally wouldn't, but not so much bringing out their true personality.

Just turns the filter off a little bit?

I don't waste my time thinking about who lies about what or when. Kinda like worrying about sandbaggers. Yep they both exist... I prefer seeing honestly and good in people.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I don't know how to not lie when talking about my scores. I only post tournament rounds on my handicap online and I have scores that range from a +1.2 to a 13. I usually just say I'm inconsistent because I know I can shoot 70 but I know I also can shoot 85 if I play bad.

If I say that I am a 2.1 handicap and then shoot 82, people think I'm lying so usually I go with, "i'm not really sure." lol

Yeah people don't get that a lot of single digits have big scoring ranges because they're erratic. Lots of 80s shooters have really narrow scoring bands because they only hit it about 210 off the tee and it's kind of hard to hit it that far off line at that distance, so they don't lose a lot of balls of tee shots, dribble it around, and shoot 85. But if you just drew a straight line from their miss in the right rough at 210 and extended it out to 280 that tee shot all of a sudden is either in the next fairway or in some guy's pool.

I know lots of guys who have ranges of 70-85 depending on the day. Just yesterday I played with a 7 who is fairly long, was a little nervous, and fired a 98 (54-44). He played his round by the rules, finished it out, and posted a bad number, its fine, it's totally normal. Still though, the guy was very obviously a 7 who was having a rough day.

Generally good players will recognize other good players even on their bad days, but it's true....Some people think that a 1 index can't shoot a 83, so i've often wondered how many times people have thought i was a vanity cap. My last 3 rounds are 83-76-72. Some variation there

We're amateurs at the end of the day, gonna be some ugly stuff out there sometimes

I shot an 82 when we played at Torrey on the trip. I gotta say i was really nervous before that round LOL. I didn't want to be known as a vanity cap on here!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Begining of round:

Other guy: You hit a 3 wood? Why dont you use driver?

Me: I rather be in the fairway closer than in the trees.

Other guy: I want to play in tournaments and take lessons

Me: (thinking to myself) Im in for a long round

Halfway through the round

me: what did you get on that hole? I got a bogey

Other guy: I also got a bogey

Me: You hit 3 drives if you want a bogey thats cool.

Other guy: Yeah those don't count

Me: I guess only the best and longest drive counts

Water hole

Other guy: Did you see that drive? I think I hit it over the water

Me: (Thinking to myself) There is no chance in hell you hit it over the water, wait until we get over there

Other guy: I cant find my ball did you see I am pretty sure it went over the water

Me; Your ball is in the water I doubt you hit it over. The water is about 280 to clear.

Other guy: I cant find it I will just drop for 2 over here

Me; (Thinking to myself) We are about to play a 4.5 hour round on an empty course. FML

A few years ago a stroke play 18 hole corporate tourney.

I was alone so they send me with 3 buddies who were upper single digits. They all looked like tour pros and were burning their cell phones with texting. I smelled vanity on the spot.

The 3 guys played around 15-18 handicap and by the 14th hole the last of them had picked it up for the tournament. And they kept lying to me about lack of practice, haven't played for a while and the rest of the cliches. I was mostly quiet and polite the whole round but deep inside I was laughing at the fake act.