Mizuno MP-18 SC

jrshelby

Ok, I'm sick of hearin "thank god, no boron," lol

I have not hit my 25's yet so I can't compare them to my 68's and even when I'm able to swing, it's gonna be a hell of a different swing from the last time that I swung a club so I really won't be the yardstick to speak of the differences between the two irons.

Obviously there will be the difference in that the 68 is a blade and the 25 is a MCB, however for those of you that PLAY a Mizzy blade, regardless of the model, what is the difference between your present blade and the boron steel iron, feel wise?

I'm not lookin for a wagon jumper but someone who actually BAGS and PLAYS/PLAYED a Mizzy BLADE-

Also, is there anyone that likes the 25's and why so?

Thanks much?

Have a great day/evening?

RP

Hey Richard! There is no difference. People are crazy. The difference in feel isn't because of the boron, it's because the MP 25s have a hollow head design. The T7 wedges feel amazing and I could not tell you the difference between feel of my 53 and my mp 4 pw.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff on the Usga website

Seems the product is labelled differently for Japan and USA markets , mizuno pro 118 and mizuno mp 18

Also a s118 wedge/ mizuno pro 18 wedge I take it designed to replace the s5

yep I missed this

That is one ugly arse wedge.....

I still don't think that they've introduced a wedge better than the 11, but Madison tells me that I'm in a hazed out time warp so who knows, maybe I'm off

All the Best

RP

I still have a couple set of Mp T10s prob best feeling wedges ive ever played

I have not hit my 25's yet so I can't compare them to my 68's and even when I'm able to swing, it's gonna be a hell of a different swing from the last time that I swung a club so I really won't be the yardstick to speak of the differences between the two irons.

Obviously there will be the difference in that the 68 is a blade and the 25 is a MCB, however for those of you that PLAY a Mizzy blade, regardless of the model, what is the difference between your present blade and the boron steel iron, feel wise?

I'm not lookin for a wagon jumper but someone who actually BAGS and PLAYS/PLAYED a Mizzy BLADE-

Thanks much

Have a great day/evening

RP

Hey Richard! There is no difference. People are crazy. The difference in feel isn't because of the boron, it's because the MP 25s have a hollow head design. The T7 wedges feel amazing and I could not tell you the difference between feel of my 53 and my mp 4 pw.

Ok well go hit the MP 53s or MP 54s and the MP 25s and tell me theres no difference in feel. Seems like a lot of MP 25s on ebay and if the boron and feel wasnt an issue they wouldnt be moving away from it.

Why do people still try keep calling a CB a blade. If it's got a cavity it's not a blade. Blades are solid, no cut out of the back. I'm will to bet SC stands for ......... drum roll please Split Cavity. Now if it has those little slots or cut outs in the muscle or bottom back side its called Pocket cavity i.e.... the MP-52.

PS: before anyone has a fit, I'm just busting some golf balls, please don't get all upset because the typed word may offend you. :stop: :taunt: :swoon:

I'm just trying to clarify that Blades look like this :

By the way the MP-18 SC looks pretty decent from what I can see here.

I know it is splitting hairs, but the MP-4 is more of a muscle back than a blade... The 33 or 37 would be a blade.

:deadhorse:

I couldn't agree more with Phi on this, though Klb does have a valid point lol

Obviously the 68 through MP-5 are more MB than a "true" blade however I attribute this to evolutionary change much like that of the "blade" putter and I do not believe that we will ever see a "true" blade in the design of the 14's or 37's(the 14's true successor) again.

I will never forget the first time that I heard a Player speak of his Anser(a Newport?? Yea, right ;) ) as a "blade."

I LMAO and asked "WTF are you talkin about?? A BLADE?," lol

Then another said it...

And another.....

And my world as I knew it was crashing down around me???

To me, blade putters were the flagsticks pictured below(from my rotation), and actually back in the day, THESE were not even considered "true" blades and were referred to as a "flanged blade" versus a "true" blade, ala Acushnet Bulls Eye, however that bottom putter, the Staff 8843, as one can see by the address pic, is one small arse blade, lol. It's an amazing putter though, and the feel rivals the Cleve BeCu.

I'm by no means OCD(I'm sometimes a dick but OCD has nothing to do with it?) however every single Player that I know refers to all of the MB's as Blades and if we were sitting at a table and you made the comment regarding a MP-68 or MP-4 not being a "blade," well Bro, the only thing that I'll say is that you better have the ability to go lowwwww??

I don't know too many Players, Am or Pro, who split hairs?

Have a great day Gents ?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Mizzy engineer 1: "Hey people seem to like those iblades, lets make something that looks like those"

Mizzy enginer 2: "Yeah, that's cool. I like those"

Mizzy Engineer 1: "Alright then."

FIN!

They do look pretty cool though! I like the smooth simplicity.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Thanks much��

Have a great day/evening��

RP

Ok well go hit the MP 53s or MP 54s and the MP 25s and tell me theres no difference in feel. Seems like a lot of MP 25s on ebay and if the boron and feel wasnt an issue they wouldnt be moving away from it.

I have owned both the MP 54s and the MP 25s. I honestly don't think I could tell a difference between the two in feel. Hit the middle and they both feel great but not MP 4 or MP 69 great.

SC = Split cavity

HD = High Density tungsten

So we thinking the polished part is an external tungsten weight bar forged together? Or the usual tungsten plugs in the toe or sole?

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

There is no doubt the design of the club head impacts sound and feel. By the looks of it, the MP-18 SC is directly derived from its blade counterpart, thus probably falling into the soft feeling category.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr2+ 2W 13° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

BETTINARDI BB1 WIDE

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

As others have said excited by the prospect of a 'proper' combo set (ala Cobra S3 Pro) It's always amazed and disappointed me that Mizuno have never really done this before. Would be nice if they offered a satin or chrome finish as stock or even some very modestly priced Yoro options

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

Interesting stuff on the Usga website

Seems the product is labelled differently for Japan and USA markets , mizuno pro 118 and mizuno mp 18

Also a s118 wedge/ mizuno pro 18 wedge I take it designed to replace the s5

yep I missed this

That is one ugly arse wedge.....

I still don't think that they've introduced a wedge better than the 11, but Madison tells me that I'm in a hazed out time warp so who knows, maybe I'm off?

All the Best?

RP

I still have a couple set of Mp T10s prob best feeling wedges ive ever played

I agree here as I just switched due to the groove ruling regardless of the effective date when the 11's were available.

The 10's were a superb wedge!!

Have a great day my Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks much?

RP

I have owned both the MP 54s and the MP 25s. I honestly don't think I could tell a difference between the two in feel. Hit the middle and they both feel great but not MP 4 or MP 69 great.

Thanks JM, this is what I figured and actually what Madison had said because she just looked at the 25's, 5's and Staff 100's(she went with these) and she herself attributed the difference more to clubhead design than metal.

That's like when Mizzy brought all of their Staffers to the line prior to releasing the JPX irons back in 201, including Lukester and Stacy, and had them hit two identically shaped(specs and appearance, as both looked like the MP-63/64's) blank iron sets, one forged and one cast and NOT A SINGLE FRIGGIN PLAYER, not one, could consistently differentiate the two.

I would never tell an individual what they did or did not feel however if a dozen plus of the finest Players on earth, who hit more balls in a year than the average schmo hits in a decade says they can't tell the difference, well, you guys see where I'm goin with this....?

Thanks again JM?

My Best?

RP

Thanks much?

RP

What are your thoughts, Pros and Cons, on the 25's(or anyone else that has OWNED the 25's)?

Thanks much?

My Best?

Richard

Ive had MP52s in the bag forever. At 50, I'm starting to feel the X100 shafts by the end of the round and have started to consider some new irons but maybe a tad lighter. I have just never found anything that suits my eye like the 52s... until now. I wonder if you can get heads only? My fitter / builder has a control issue. And put me the wish they were chrome box.

Hey Richard, I liked the MP 25s but I had to many digging issues with them and I hit them high. So bending them weak to get more bounce was not a option. I haven't been able to play a Mizuno iron since the MP 69s. Something about the sole grind just works for me. I really hope the MP 18s have a little more bounce than previous sets.

Richard I bought the MP-25s to replace my 825 pros. Seemed like a no-brainer as they are gorgeous looking and came with my fitted shaft of choice as standard (PX 5.5). The problem for me is that for some reason they launched quite a bit higher than my 825 pros and I lost distance and confidence playing in the wind. I've struggled to replace my 825 pros since so I haven't. That said I tried the JPX 900 forged with the Recoil shafts recently and they were awesome. Surprisingly they launched a degree lower than my Pros and increased ball speed by 5mph on the 6 iron. Feel great, look awesome just can't justify the coin at this moment :)

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

Hey Richard, I liked the MP 25s but I had to many digging issues with them and I hit them high. So bending them weak to get more bounce was not a option. I haven't been able to play a Mizuno iron since the MP 69s. Something about the sole grind just works for me. I really hope the MP 18s have a little more bounce than previous sets.

Richard I bought the MP-25s to replace my 825 pros. Seemed like a no-brainer as they are gorgeous looking and came with my fitted shaft of choice as standard (PX 5.5). The problem for me is that for some reason they launched quite a bit higher than my 825 pros and I lost distance and confidence playing in the wind. I've struggled to replace my 825 pros since so I haven't. That said I tried the JPX 900 forged with the Recoil shafts recently and they were awesome. Surprisingly they launched a degree lower than my Pros and increased ball speed by 5mph on the 6 iron. Feel great, look awesome just can't justify the coin at this moment :)

Thanks so much JM & Brit for taking the time to give me your thoughts on the 25's!!

This mirrors Madison's experience and I will say they in my prior life, I hit a high ball to the degree that all of my blades were bent 2* strong and any subsequent bounce alteration was irrelevant so I was good to go with the S400 shafts in em.

That being said, when I am able to swing full go again, I will not only not have the swing that I last had, I will not have the traj(God, I loooove this word? It's my greatest gift from this board?) that I last had and my Therapist, who happens to be a +2.6 outa Oakmont thinks that I will need all of the assistance that an iron can give me so hopefully these 25's fit the bill. They currently have the S300 in em and I'll probably have to go with the R300's but I'll hit them as is first. I'm going to hit my Staff 59's and 100's but Madison and my Therapist think that I'm delusional and I know that they're gonna be too much iron but I've gotta see for myself, lol.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your thoughts!!

Have a great day Gents?

My Best?

Richard

Please please please, don't be all cranked up with too much tungsten. I don't need a set with too much help getting the ball in the air or anything like that (maybe some toe help). Just release an effing purist, or close, club that are available in lefty. My god, I can't handle this!

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.. BRB, sticking my head in the oven.

I hit my 54s way too high and lost distance as well. Windy golf days in the spring and fall were killing me! I switched to the 900 forged with C taper Lite X shafts and love them. I get lower ball flight with tons of distance and forgiveness. Feel off the face is Mizuno soft with a little bit of a spring due to the face being so thin. Awesome feeling in my opinion! For me they are perfect. Last night I hit a 5 iron to pin 215 out and backed it up 5 feet. No way on earth I could have done that with The 54s. The mp 54/mp 25 lineage seems to fit consistent ball strikers with low swing speeds who need to get ball in air but want a players iron look. That's why they make so many models of golf clubs because everyone's swing is different!

According to Chuck Couch, Mizzy's VP of Product Mgt, when Luke hit the Proto 25's, he noticed no difference between the boron mixed irons and the straight stainless irons.

Don't ask me whatTF that has to do with the price of tea in China since he went with the 900 Pros but I'm tryin to make myself feel better, lol. First Madison brings home the Staff Tour Fg F5's, and the fact that Streelman and Paddy Play a F5 3-4i means absolutely friggin squat after HeavyHitter's 11yo son said that the 5's were "too thick" and he went with the V6's.

An 11yo!!!!

Then I find out that the 25's are a make believe MP for guys that can't Play a real MP ;)

I'm depressed-

Gettin old, gettin sick and goin to hell in a friggin hand basket sucks-

I'm gonna beat this cancer, no doubt-

Gettin my ego under check??

Oh Lord, I'm gonna need a lotta help here?

Stay well my Friends?

RP

I hit my 54s way too high and lost distance as well. Windy golf days in the spring and fall were killing me! I switched to the 900 forged with C taper Lite X shafts and love them. I get lower ball flight with tons of distance and forgiveness. Feel off the face is Mizuno soft with a little bit of a spring due to the face being so thin. Awesome feeling in my opinion! For me they are perfect. Last night I hit a 5 iron to pin 215 out and backed it up 5 feet. No way on earth I could have done that with The 54s. The mp 54/mp 25 lineage seems to fit consistent ball strikers with low swing speeds who need to get ball in air but want a players iron look. That's why they make so many models of golf clubs because everyone's swing is different!

I beg to differ. I'm 96 on the Mizuno optimizer and the 54's are one of the best irons I've ever hit, definitely not high and not for slow swingers. I hit them the same height and distance as my MP5's, but the 5's feel a touch better. 900 forged are 3* stronger in 6 iron. Still play 54 in 4 iron and 3 iron (bent to 19*) with my 5's b/c 4 iron is my favorite club in the bag. Amazes me the people who say the 54 irons lack distance. In 6 iron it was equal to the JPX850 forged, even though 850 was stronger lifted. Only 5 yards behind 900 forged which is 3* stronger.

I beg to differ. I'm 96 on the Mizuno optimizer and the 54's are one of the best irons I've ever hit, definitely not high and not for slow swingers. I hit them the same height and distance as my MP5's, but the 5's feel a touch better. 900 forged are 3* stronger in 6 iron. Still play 54 in 4 iron and 3 iron (bent to 19*) with my 5's b/c 4 iron is my favorite club in the bag. Amazes me the people who say the 54 irons lack distance. In 6 iron it was equal to the JPX850 forged, even though 850 was stronger lifted. Only 5 yards behind 900 forged which is 3* stronger.

Why do people want to hit their irons as far as possible. They are meant for precision not bludgeoning like a driver.

The longer your irons go the more distance gaps you have in your wedges. I've got 53's and had them weakened 1 deg and now want to do another 1 deg weak to help with distance gaps between 150-100 yards which is the distance you really want to try and knock it in close and get right.