2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Someone's lyin' about their golf game when they....

Was playing at a course as a single about 10 years ago. The course is rated one of the hardest courses on the west coast. A guy behind me catches up to me and asks to join. I said fine. Long hair and looked like a Kenny G. He told me that he plays on the Nationwide Tour and made a sizable check a few weeks ago and is playing in another Nationwide tournament in a couple weeks. Right after his first shot, I was thinking "no way is this guy a Nationwide Tour" guy. After playing with him for a few holes, he was at best maybe a 12 handicap and that is still stretching it. He was hitting it all over the place and swing looked like a 20 handicapper.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a guy at work that told everyone he was a low 70's shooter. He wouldn't brag about his scores but I would always ask what he shot the last time he played. Oh 72,75,76 etc. The funny thing no one could get him to come out and play with the rest of us. We always thought he didn't want to waste his time with us hacks. Finally someone got him to play with us. He shot a 95 and got pissed off. Shortly after that I went to the course he always played and found out it was a pitch and putt kind of thing. The next day at work when I saw him I told him I shot a 73. He just laughed and said yea right..I said I sure did. I stopped by your home course and played. His face got red as a beet. He never lied but certainly failed to mention the type of course he was playing on.

Me I don't lie either. My neighbor sees me come home from golfing and says how did you do. I'll say no bogeys today and walk on..Under my breath I'm thinking all those doubles really killed me though.

Love this one. Guy makes double and coming off the green he says, I have a buddy that's a scratch player. Like that somehow makes this guy's bad game........better?

I'm a scratch player too...once the mosquitos start coming out.

I just tell people that I suck ahead of time. Set the expectations low so that people will never be disappointed.
Thats what I do too. I usually play with my brother and people always seem to ask about our handicap. I usually tell them my handicap is my swing and that I suck. Or that my handicap is my wife since she won't let me practice as much as I would like. It takes the pressure off me too and I can just relax knowing there aren't much expectations.

My usual line is something along the lines of "most people wouldn't call what I do golfing."

Got this full set of Ping Eye 2 BC's , mint condition, barely used,.. $25.00 Some old lady said she her husband had passed away, and found them in the garage. So she was selling her house and everything in it and moving in with her daughter. She didn't know anything about golf, I about freaked out when I saw them.... I talked her down from $30.00

"I'm working on a swing change"

"Just got these clubs; not used to them yet"

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I think threads like this are hilarious to see what sort of asinine excuses people have come up with for playing badly.

- wind is too strong

- wind isn't strong enough

- these greens are way too slow

- these greens are like putting on concrete that was covered in glass covered in ice!

- something moved in my backswing

- someone talked (5 holes over) in my backswing

- I just had these lofts/lies adjusted. Still trying to get used to them

- these shafts are too whippy

- these shafts are too stout

- trying out this new ball

- trying this new grip

- trying this new swing

- I'm hungover

- I'm not drunk enough. I always play better after a few drinks

- hmmm. I thought the guy said this was Tour issued. Must not be.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Couldn't agree more on a lot of good golfers having a high variance in their scores.

I was labeled a sandbagger when I was playing a tournament in Arizona.

I learned to play while in college in northern California and the course I exclusively played on was lined with trees and has very healthy rough.

I said I was probably a 15 index (never actually kept an index) and I shot 77 at the Arizona course because you could miss onto the other fairway and still have a perfectly clean shot to the green. Not to mention the rough was almost non existent.

Now I'm probably a 3-4 (still don't officially keep an index) but like others I can have a bad day on the tee and throw out a terrible score on any given day -- making me "that guy" who says he can play.

Meet up with a guy in Tampa on hole 5 who claimed he was practicing for US Senior Open this year and that he was 4 under already. He never shut up the rest of the round talking about how he won an european tour event and played the masters once. Guess people don't realize there is a thing called the internet or the fact that I beat him by 3 shots after he took a few mulligans claiming he was "trying" shots he wouldn't normally do in a tournament.

Meet up with a guy in Tampa on hole 5 who claimed he was practicing for US Senior Open this year and that he was 4 under already. He never shut up the rest of the round talking about how he won an european tour event and played the masters once. Guess people don't realize there is a thing called the internet or the fact that I beat him by 3 shots after he took a few mulligans claiming he was "trying" shots he wouldn't normally do in a tournament.

Wow that is just pure delusion!

Guy is off in another planet.

I had a couple guys once from the nicer, more expensive course in town 'slum' it with me at my track when I randomly paired with them. Talking about competing locally in events etc. (They didnt know I was a decent player who actually played in said events and definitely did not see them)

Everything about ::my:: course was terrible. Greens slow, fairways too narrow, wind too strong, blah blah. Finally I said "Good shots work on every course" and they got kinda pissy. I dusted them on my home course and definitely would have dusted them on their home course, which I play once or twice a month.

Excuse after excuse.

You claim to be a single digit handicapper. But, can't seem to stay out of bounds. And you keep teeing from the back tees. Yeah, that happened last month with 2 guys. Round took 6 hours, involved a pissed off group behind us, and both shooting well over 100. It was super awkward and upsetting at the same time. Not even gonna get into there matching golf attire.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this full set of Ping Eye 2 BC's , mint condition, barely used,.. $25.00 Some old lady said she her husband had passed away, and found them in the garage. So she was selling her house and everything in it and moving in with her daughter. She didn't know anything about golf, I about freaked out when I saw them.... I talked her down from $30.00

On a serious note, a buddy of mine did find a random set of old Wilson clubs at a yard sale for $40. Forgot to mention that the set included a Scotty..I still hate him.

I KNOW you felt bad about talking her down on the price !!

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

...of course you know bill, this didn't really happen \\\\\\\\\ although, it would be really hard to pass up wouldn't it? :yes:

...of course you know bill, this didn't really happen \\\\\\\\\ although, it would be really hard to pass up wouldn't it? :yes:

It would be like the Golf Gods had smiled on you ! And then you'd start wondering...'What if this is a test'? :cheesy:

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Guy sounds like a real poser :taunt:

Sorry, no disrespect intended.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

My friend of 25 years often says, and I believe it to be true, "Most people think a person's true personality comes out when they're drunk, I disagree. I believe you see a person's true personality during a round of golf."

I completely agree about alcohol not being the truth serum people think it is. I think it makes people say things they normally wouldn't, but not so much bringing out their true personality.

I like a Drive by Truckers lyric "whiskey doesn't make you do anything, it just let's you". Yes, golf certainly shows a persons characteristics which you might not see off the course.