Portland area course conditions

mallrat

Played Langdon in a steady drizzle yesterday. Still plenty of run in the fairways and the greens are just superb (and fast!) right now.

Yeah, I played sunday (mothers day, so no one out) in the sun and was really impressed with how the greens were rolling (hit quite a few putts 5-10 feet past :black eye: ). Course was in fantastic shape, almost summer form, but the rough was still a little wet though none of my shots plugged, just had mud on them. Found a bunch of Pro-V's in the trees right of #16 including a new V and X so I can finally see which one is best for me haha. I never have to buy Pro-V's because I find so many in the "slice zones" on that course :derisive:

• 2 weeks later...

Played at Langdon this morning. The course is in fantastic shape. Greens were rolled yesterday and are almost up to mid-summer speed (read: fast!). They seem to be letting a lot of the taller grasses go nuts this year... stay on the fairway!

There were a lot of back pins today - more than I've seen for a while.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

9:39. Finished up at 2:15. It was a slow day.

I think your Super must have had a lousy Friday night... there were quite a few really mean-a** pin placements. Spots I don't see often used. Never seen the pin so far back on 3.

Playing again on Monday at 9:06 (I do love three-day weekends!)

There is a distinct possibility that he had a long Friday night and slept in the office.

Weird story, so I've been there a month and the next shortest tenured crew member has been there 8 years with the longest being 21 (he was in the crew that built the property, he's the normal Saturday pin cutter). Not 1 of them has ever been hit by a ball. In my 1 1/2 months I have almost been hit twice. Once on number 3 about 2 weeks ago, I was in the flower bed furthest left from the green, what 30 yards from the green, knelt behind the cart and it landed in the back. Then Thursday we were in the pond on 18 clearing reeds. Both times no yelling fore, no nothing.

Played Quail Valley today. The course has dried out nicely from the winter rains and is in very good condition. Greens are rolling smooth and reasonably quick. Like Langdon, they seem to letting the tall fescue get real tall...

Bunkers were in very good condition, looks like a lot of new sand may have been brought in.

Always liked the design of this course.

Played Quail Valley today. The course has dried out nicely from the winter rains and is in very good condition. Greens are rolling smooth and reasonably quick. Like Langdon, they seem to letting the tall fescue get real tall...

Bunkers were in very good condition, looks like a lot of new sand may have been brought in.

Always liked the design of this course.

What a difference a week makes. Almost all the long grass is gone at Langdon now. Tourney season has begun.

Played Reserve North on Weds. course is in decent shape but the winter was brutal on that course. Greens still had marks from aerification. We used to be members there but over time I like the course less and less. Not sure why. They added a drain/ riverbed running across the 12th fairway and 7 just short of the green that I hate. So now on 12 you have a blind layup with nothing telling you where the Creek is and you can't see it at all. Makes no sense, I get it for drainage but don't like it. They need to do a better job of blowing off their grass clippings as well, it is EVERYWHERE.

For all the brouhaha that the Reserve gets, I have never gotten along with the North Course. Just doesn't do anything for me, design-wise. I like the South Course, but both suffer from drainage issues. I don't even think about playing there until mid-summer.

Same goes for Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost). The design is... mmm... okay, but when balls plug in the fairway well into June, I'm not going to drive all the way out there and spend that kind of $$$. I had a Ghost Card for a couple years, but stopped going out when I found myself losing balls that landed in the middle of the fairway and routinely played (several) alternate greens in July. Did no one think about the fact that these courses were built in the PNW? Drainage is not an option...

\rant

Played RedTail yesterday, and looks like its good to go all around. Greens were slow like usual but rolled well, and fairways were running nicely. You guys think all the other courses in Portland will be good to go now? I can't wait to get out to Heron Lakes, but really want to see it in prime condition the first time.

Played Heron 2 weeks ago and it was fine. IMO, it's never really in prime condition, they just don't put enough money into the conditions. It was completely fine and better shape than Reserve.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Pumpkin still had some soggy spots and uncontrolled rough. The rest should be ok.

I've been playing Red Tail weekly and got out to the Reserve on Saturday, south course. South played very nice with no issues on the course. Play was a little slow as I played as a single behind a twosome with a twosome behind me. Nobody was seeming to mind as it was such a beautiful day and we were keeping about a 4:30 pace. Ranger came to me on 15 and said he was getting complaints from a 4some that play was too slow and if I would mind joining either the group in front or in back of me. I said I didn't care but that it was already hole 15 and didn't think it would make a difference by joining. I did anyway and felt the intrusion was unnecessary and threw my nice round into a bit of a funk. Overall though it was nice to be out there.

Played Langdon this morning. As said before the course is in outstanding shape. Something that surprised my was the greens being somewhat soft but playing firm and fast. Anything on the back 1/3rd would generally roll off but front to middle held well but they were rolling as good as anything I've seen in PDX for awhile.

Played Langdon this morning. As said before the course is in outstanding shape. Something that surprised my was the greens being somewhat soft but playing firm and fast. Anything on the back 1/3rd would generally roll off but front to middle held well but they were rolling as good as anything I've seen in PDX for awhile.

There's a reason I make the drive from SE PDX down to Langdon every weekend....

Tell me if you notice what's different this weekend.

anyone play at camas meadows recently?

I haven't but I generally view it as a late drying course

okay. I may be playing there sunday. I generally view it as a late drying course as well. I've played it 2 or 3 times. it has never been on the top of my list but my buddy lives by it and has never played there and we may give it a go. i'll report back. I wonder if the rain this week will affect it much...

okay. I may be playing there sunday. I generally view it as a late drying course as well. I've played it 2 or 3 times. it has never been on the top of my list but my buddy lives by it and has never played there and we may give it a go. i'll report back. I wonder if the rain this week will affect it much...

My two biggest issues with the course are how close some of the houses are, and the distance between some holes makes it virtually un-walkable.

My two biggest issues with the course are how close some of the houses are, and the distance between some holes makes it virtually un-walkable.

oh, I 100% agree. it's not on my personal list of places to go. I typically go when I've got coupons from the golf show and only have to pay for the cart.

Ok, my curiosity has been officially piqued... I'm off at 9:21 tomorrow with my half set and H2No bag.

Ok, my curiosity has been officially piqued... I'm off at 9:21 tomorrow with my half set and H2No bag.

Played Langdon this morning in off/on showers, some fairly heavy, but the course absorbed it very well. Fairways were still running great and the greens were a tad slower, but holding shots nicely. Glad to see almost all the long grass has been cut, though with lots of 'tufts' left to bedevil stray tee shots. Looks like the second cut of rough was much shorter than usual.

Quaill Valley dried out nicely and is in great shape.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Getting into a groove/rut with my current course rotation. Down to Red Tail, Langdon, Rose City and rarely Heron Lakes (I've played Eastmoreland, Reserve and Forest Hills but wouldn't add them to a regular rotation). Would like to play Stone Creek more but it is 45 minutes away. Any thoughts on a course that I need to play more often?