Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review - Continuous On Going Information and Data Updates

Comments

• TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,843 ✭✭
    Peanut191 wrote:

Toll,do you agree with Aaron's assessment that the Orange V3 doesn't "feel" counterbalanced?

I love the balance of the shaft and only added 2 grams to the head with it. I really like the feel and wouldn't say it feels overly counter weighted at all.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77
    Thanks for doing this. I'm pretty sure you've sold me on a PO as soon as I move the PO V2.

Thanks for doing this. I'm pretty sure you've sold me on a PO as soon as I move the PO V2.

PO is basically for the power guy and V2 is better for the smooth guy. You won't have any trouble finding someone who wants your V2, that's for sure.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
    FYI I will also add X-Torsion Copperhead to the test as well. I will have those this week.

• J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,261 ✭✭
    edited May 20, 2017 #36
    Great info as always but why are all your players in a TM M driver and all play a Mitsubishi shaft? I tested almost every driver on trackman outdoors along with a handful of D1 players and half the group got the best numbers from the Epic. Me personally fit into the Epic from last year's M2 and got another 2-3mph ball speed over 2017 M series.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    edited May 20, 2017 #37
    J13 wrote:

Great info as always but why are all your players in a TM M driver and all play a Mitsubishi shaft? I tested almost every driver on trackman outdoors along with a handful of D1 players and half the group got the best numbers from the Epic. Me personally fit into the Epic from last year's M2 and got another 2-3mph ball speed over 2017 M series.

The total group is 45 guys that rotate doing testing and honestly probably 35 of them play M series, and the rest play some sort of Callaway with the exception of 2 who play Cobra. All for no other reason than they are best for each individual player AND, and this is a big factor, that we all play Taylormade Tour issue heads and can choose our specific specs. I think we would see a lot more in Epic series if we could simply choose our specs. Retail variences just don't cut it. Find me a sub zero at 7 degrees of true loft with a red dot sleeve and I may play it.

• JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,381 ✭✭
    Good to see the train back on the tracks.
    F9 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 CBVokey SM6 52, 58Byron Morgan DH89
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,261 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

J13 wrote:

The total group is 45 guys that rotate doing testing and honestly probably 35 of them play M series, and the rest play some sort of Callaway with the exception of 2 who play Cobra. All for no other reason than they are best for each individual player AND, and this is a big factor, that we all play Taylormade Tour issue heads and can choose our specific specs. I think we would see a lot more in Epic series if we could simply choose our specs. Retail variences just don't cut it. Find me a sub zero at 7 degrees of true loft with a red dot sleeve and I may play it.

Callaway Tour stuff is hard to come by and I agree on knowing specs. I'd like to see Callawaay add spec'd out heads to the Cally Customs program. The Red Dot sleeves are nice especially for better players, wish they were easier to get as well.
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    J13 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

J13 wrote:

Callaway Tour stuff is hard to come by and I agree on knowing specs. I'd like to see Callawaay add spec'd out heads to the Cally Customs program. The Red Dot sleeves are nice especially for better players, wish they were easier to get as well.

I really think that's what it comes down to. If we could all choose exact lofts and face angles Callaway would be a more viable option. The ball speeds and technology are there, but I can say for me personally, if I can't get the specs I want, it's not an option. In this day of fitting and dialing in performance​, the fact that this type of option isn't available is ridiculous.

• ruxpin23ruxpin23 Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Really appreciate all the effort tollbros. For guys like me that don't have a nearby fitter that carries all of these, this is a godsend. I'm currently in a t1100 but am not in love with it. I'm looking at tensei white or orange (v3) as my next shaft. Seems like the white is closer to the old ahina profile I like, but the increased ball speeds of the Orange seem to be consistent across a lot of reviews. To top it off, I did feel like the ahina felt slightly tip heavy.

All that said, in terms of feel, could you describe what the main difference between white and v3 are since you've had a lot of experience testing both? Do they feel similar with a slight tweak or do they feel worlds apart?
    VPR Strike Driver, MRC Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    VPR Strike 3 Wood, MRC Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
    2011 VR Pro Combo 3-PW, DG AMT X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 58K 62M
    2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Nike RZN Black
    edited May 21, 2017 #42
    ruxpin23 wrote:

Really appreciate all the effort tollbros. For guys like me that don't have a nearby fitter that carries all of these, this is a godsend. I'm currently in a t1100 but am not in love with it. I'm looking at tensei white or orange (v3) as my next shaft. Seems like the white is closer to the old ahina profile I like, but the increased ball speeds of the Orange seem to be consistent across a lot of reviews. To top it off, I did feel like the ahina felt slightly tip heavy.

All that said, in terms of feel, could you describe what the main difference between white and v3 are since you've had a lot of experience testing both? Do they feel similar with a slight tweak or do they feel worlds apart?

Tense pro white is softer feeling in the handle and is more tip heavy. It also is a bit more harsh feeling in the tip. I think because of the amount of Kevlar and the tungsten resin in the pro orange. The combination absorbs the vibrations through the shaft more fully and makes the pro orange feel smoother.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

• campioncampion 3-jack-king Members Posts: 652
    Tollbros thanks for the info I'm courious what do you do a living? I'm guessing you own a fitting business? Either way always enjoy your posts and the data in them. Is the orange giving everyone more ball speed.. looking at the data that seems to be the one with the highest ball speed
    campion wrote:

Tollbros thanks for the info I'm courious what do you do a living? I'm guessing you own a fitting business? Either way always enjoy your posts and the data in them. Is the orange giving everyone more ball speed.. looking at the data that seems to be the one with the highest ball speed

Without yet being a board sponsor, I don't want to turn this into an advertisement for the company I work for. The short answer is it's a business that evaluates golf equipment through an independent test panel and provides highly detailed data and feedback. These tests are like a cliff notes version.

As for the oranges, it depends on the player, as to what differences they see. Some things are more pronounced at higher speeds and some things translate through the entire group. I will be updating every other day until the whole picture is clear.

• campioncampion 3-jack-king Members Posts: 652
    TollBros wrote:

campion wrote:

Without yet being a board sponsor, I don't want to turn this into an advertisement for the company I work for. The short answer is it's a business that evaluates golf equipment through an independent test panel and provides highly detailed data and feedback. These tests are like a cliff notes version.

As for the oranges, it depends on the player, as to what differences they see. Some things are more pronounced at higher speeds and some things translate through the entire group. I will be updating every other day until the whole picture is clear.

Awesome can't wait to read the details
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,349 ✭✭
    So are the orange versions for instance widely avail or you have to "know" someone to get them? I assume as a tester your are given to you or you use then and then return for data purposes only? thanks

I'm a bit curious about ball variances as well. The ball(s) tested or off the shelf or special versions tour only as well? thanks..again!
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
    moonshine wrote:

So are the orange versions for instance widely avail or you have to "know" someone to get them? I assume as a tester your are given to you or you use then and then return for data purposes only? thanks

I'm a bit curious about ball variances as well. The ball(s) tested or off the shelf or special versions tour only as well? thanks..again!

Some of the products are retail and some are Tour only at the moment. This test is to test the best of the best on tour and in the market and the products generating the most buzz. As for the balls used in testing, we use off the shelf golf balls that you can buy at any store.

Rickey's 112ss data posted.

What do you think causes the Pro White to be among he slowest swing speeds from all 3 players thus far?
    JStang wrote:

What do you think causes the Pro White to be among he slowest swing speeds from all 3 players thus far?

To be honest I hadn't noticed, but you're right so far. I think it's possible, if you see the shaft we first 3 play, they are much more butt stiff shafts so the feel of the white profile isn't exactly what is ideal. Now saying that, the launch and spin are very good with all 3 data blocks. There's nothing wrong with the shaft, just the feel dynamic coming into play I'd say, where maybe you don't quite release it as efficiently. Every player will have a comfort zone with certain profiles or balance points that can yield marginal differences of maybe 1-2 mph either way.

• ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,287 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

campion wrote:

And all this time I thought you were a golf geek that built houses. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • blev2blev2 Blev Posts: 447 ✭✭
    Knew I shoulda bought stock in the pro orange...
    edited May 21, 2017 #53
    Shilgy wrote:

TollBros wrote:

campion wrote:

And all this time I thought you were a golf geek that built houses. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The Tollbros thing is an inside joke among friends. My last name is Toll. Without going into too much detail, my buddies would tell girls I was the heir to the Toll Brothers empire for wow factor, so basically at this point I just roll with it since there is no fighting it. Haha. But no, I wish, but I have no relation to the high end builder.

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

To be honest I hadn't noticed, but you're right so far. I think it's possible, if you see the shaft we first 3 play, they are much more butt stiff shafts so the feel of the white profile isn't exactly what is ideal. Now saying that, the launch and spin are very good with all 3 data blocks. There's nothing wrong with the shaft, just the feel dynamic coming into play I'd say, where maybe you don't quite release it as efficiently. Every player will have a comfort zone with certain profiles or balance points that can yield marginal differences of maybe 1-2 mph either way.

Maybe I'm looking at this chart wrong but in order from most to least butt stiff doesn't it go Pro Blue, Pro White, Pro Orange?

edited May 21, 2017 #55
    JStang wrote:

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

Maybe I'm looking at this chart wrong but in order from most to least butt stiff doesn't it go Pro Blue, Pro White, Pro Orange?

The extreme butt is about the same as white for pro orange but the stiffness is more linear. Also the balance of the shaft being higher gives it the feeling of less handle flex. When you swing both, the pro white feels more flexible in the handle. Sometimes focusing on one point of the graph doesn't tell the whole story. No question Pro Orange FEELS less flexible in the handle. This is also the first Tensei with tungsten resin technology so that may have some affect on the feel as well. I always find the graphs interesting when new tech comes along and changes the player's perception during the swing. Very cool how they can manipulate the feel, balance, and load with different materials.

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

Very cool how they can manipulate the feel, balance, and load with different materials.

And IMHO this is what Mitsubishi does better than any other shaft manufacturing company.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
    noodle3872 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

Very cool how they can manipulate the feel, balance, and load with different materials.

And IMHO this is what Mitsubishi does better than any other shaft manufacturing company.

I agree 100%.

• manima1manima1 Posts: 688 ✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this back JT, excited to see the rest of the data.

The PO looks to be turning in a pretty dominant run here. Only spins a bit more than the KKDC but higher launch angle and ball speeds.

If I wasn't so happy with the KKDC I would be trying to get my hands on one. Will be interesting to see what happens with the lower swing speed players - I will be looking at these (2) shafts closely.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • msands12msands12 ClubWRX Posts: 67 ClubWRX
    Thanks TB for all this work and information. Pretty awesome to provide your time and knowledge to the forum. Got a quick question. I currently play a Rogue 125 70TX in my Epic SZ. What shaft(s) on this list would be something I should look into trying if I got the bug to experiment?
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,178 ✭✭
    Completely awesome stuff. <salute>

Having a stick with the HZRDUS 75, I'm not especially surprised to see the spin numbers being generated. Tossing another shaft in that clubhead gave me a lower trajectory and, based upon on-course results, lower spin.

Look forward to seeing how the entire project shakes out...
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • PompsPomps Members Posts: 839 ✭✭
    msands12 wrote:

Thanks TB for all this work and information. Pretty awesome to provide your time and knowledge to the forum. Got a quick question. I currently play a Rogue 125 70TX in my Epic SZ. What shaft(s) on this list would be something I should look into trying if I got the bug to experiment?

I was typing basically the exact same question but without the epic part.
    Cobra F9 9* adjusted to open* - Testing
    TaylorMade M3 3 wood 15* - Project X Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5 - 42.875" (D6)
    TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
    TaylorMade Gapr Hi 19* - Kuro Kage Silver 90x - 40.75" (D2)
    Mizuno M18 4-7 SC, 8-p MB Nippon Modus 125x 1.5* Flat (D4)
    Vokey SM6 51* (D5; 2.5* flat); Vokey TVD V-Grind 55* (D5; 2.5* flat) & Vokey TVD M-Grind 59* (D5; 2* flat ) - DG Tour Issue s400

Odyssey Jailbird Mini S 33.5"