Mizuno MP-18 SC

jrshelby

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me likey!!!! Combo set would be awesome. I wonder if one would be able to get them through YORO craft. Giving my wife ideas as to which YORO crafted Mizunos I want for my retirement gift.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Why would anyone want to hit their irons farther? Well at 150 out If rather hit an 8 iron with my CF16s rather than a easy 6 with a set of MP 53s Mizunos are buttery soft but very short distance wise.

Scott

Are they actually "very short" distance-wise? I mean, considering like for like lofts? I haven't really seen any of that but then again I've been playing Mizzy for years. I'm not challenging you. I'm genuinely curious. I'm currently playing MP59s.

GF is probably grain flow and HD I would think is High Density

I know the GF forged part but it has me guessing the maybe the shinny stripe on both 18's are maybe a co forged metal like the 58, 59 and 15's. I'm sure its not but strange not to keep it simple if not something new. Please don't be a boron anything though. Please.

It could very well be some sort of tungsten on the sole. I think everyone has made the boron thing out to be more than it actually is

I don't know. I'm on my 3rd set of MP-25's all with different shafts just to be sure. The 25's are some of the nicest and more compact Mizuno irons for Lefties ever made. The softest, IMHO, they are not. Still very good irons, but not MP 68 soft.

You ever play the mp-19's? I played them back in the day and they were pretty sweet. Not the best sole for my swing, but just remember a good strike feeling awesome. I play the 25's now, but am coming from some game improvement irons, these are great. I'd agree that they aren't as soft as my older Mizzy's, but that might just be my poor memory.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

Me likey!!!! Combo set would be awesome. I wonder if one would be able to get them through YORO craft. Giving my wife ideas as to which YORO crafted Mizunos I want for my retirement gift.

From some of the rumors going around, they may only be available through Yoro.

What? I really hope that's not the case.

Yeah finally get rid of that harsh feeling GF Boron so the SC has GF Forged HD yet the S18 is GF Forged Boron?

It has more to do with the head design than the boron....

Aside from Mizzy's cast/forged "test" with their Staffers back in 2011, and granted I've only spoken to two design engineers(one from Mizzy, one from Staff) so it's not like I've talked to a significant number, though the Mizzy guy was the #2 guy on the 87's and lead designer on the 37's, and both said that head design was more critical to the "feel" of a club than material with the advent and evolution of today's machining processes. Also, the few Plus Ams/Pros that I've spoken to that have hit the 25's, to a man(well, and one woman, lol), said the 25's were nice irons, though two of the five mentioned "flyers," which I haven't heard since the 58/59/15's and they all mentioned the head design regarding the feel.

Madison, who ended up going with the Staff 100 Tours, thought that the feel/sound of the 25's was similar to the Staff Fg Tour V6's, Staff's Player's MCB, a "crisper(firmer)" feel/sound, which she doesn't have feelings about one way or the other cuz she thought that the 100's felt "crisper" than the 5's.

Anyhoo, my point is that while someone may not like the 25's, think they're trash, yada yada yada, I just chuckle cuz nowhere else do we here these kind of comments regarding the material, i.e., boron. Not in the press, not from the Tour Boys and Girls that hit em and commented, not from any Players locally that any of us may have spoken to and not from Mizzy, which is not known for flippantly and frivolously changing and/or introducing something new into their line-up. I don't recall hearing these kind of comments about the 58/59's, and I thought those irons just plain friggin sucked(They set a whole new bar for me ragrding the definition of a "flyer," lol)

Nada...

Nil..

Nothing...

Oh well, thank the good Lord that Mizzy has a plethora of irons for the guys to belt around and hopefully everyone finds one to their liking :)

Just my .03 of course☺️

Stay well my Friends?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Ok, I'm sick of hearin "thank god, no boron," lol

I have not hit my 25's yet so I can't compare them to my 68's and even when I'm able to swing, it's gonna be a hell of a different swing from the last time that I swung a club so I really won't be the yardstick to speak of the differences between the two irons.

Obviously there will be the difference in that the 68 is a blade and the 25 is a MCB, however for those of you that PLAY a Mizzy blade, regardless of the model, what is the difference between your present blade and the boron steel iron, feel wise?

I'm not lookin for a wagon jumper but someone who actually BAGS and PLAYS/PLAYED a Mizzy BLADE-

Also, is there anyone that likes the 25's and why so?

Thanks much?

Have a great day/evening?

RP

Owned and played MP4, MP15, MP53 (my gamers), and MP H4's. Hit the MP25's at demo day last year and honestly didn't understand all the criticism. I was absolutely hitting it in the screws that day, and from center face they felt just as good as all the others in my opinion. Can't comment on off center hits, that might give a different and untoward feeling that is off-putting. I wasn't in the market to buy, but if I had been I would NOT have hesitated to purchase due to the feel of the clubs that I hit.

-Doc Todd

Wishon 919 9* Kuro Kage 70gm stiff
R11 15.5 3w stock stiff
R11 19 3h stock stiff
Mizuno MP 53 4-P S300
Scor 50/54/58
Old school Ping Anser with loads of lead tape

Ok, I'm sick of hearin "thank god, no boron," lol

I have not hit my 25's yet so I can't compare them to my 68's and even when I'm able to swing, it's gonna be a hell of a different swing from the last time that I swung a club so I really won't be the yardstick to speak of the differences between the two irons.

Obviously there will be the difference in that the 68 is a blade and the 25 is a MCB, however for those of you that PLAY a Mizzy blade, regardless of the model, what is the difference between your present blade and the boron steel iron, feel wise?

I'm not lookin for a wagon jumper but someone who actually BAGS and PLAYS/PLAYED a Mizzy BLADE-

Also, is there anyone that likes the 25's and why so?

Thanks much

Have a great day/evening

RP

I swapped out my MP-4s for the 25s, Feel is different for sure. but that's just it, different, not better or worse imo. I do find the 25's to be doing exactly what i was/am looking for, which is a bit higher ball flight and more forgiveness

- plus i feel like I can go after the ball with a smother tempo. turf interaction is great on the 25s

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

Richard I bought the MP-25s to replace my 825 pros. Seemed like a no-brainer as they are gorgeous looking and came with my fitted shaft of choice as standard (PX 5.5). The problem for me is that for some reason they launched quite a bit higher than my 825 pros and I lost distance and confidence playing in the wind. I've struggled to replace my 825 pros since so I haven't. That said I tried the JPX 900 forged with the Recoil shafts recently and they were awesome. Surprisingly they launched a degree lower than my Pros and increased ball speed by 5mph on the 6 iron. Feel great, look awesome just can't justify the coin at this moment :)

I hit my 54s way too high and lost distance as well. Windy golf days in the spring and fall were killing me! I switched to the 900 forged with C taper Lite X shafts and love them. I get lower ball flight with tons of distance and forgiveness. Feel off the face is Mizuno soft with a little bit of a spring due to the face being so thin. Awesome feeling in my opinion! For me they are perfect. Last night I hit a 5 iron to pin 215 out and backed it up 5 feet. No way on earth I could have done that with The 54s. The mp 54/mp 25 lineage seems to fit consistent ball strikers with low swing speeds who need to get ball in air but want a players iron look. That's why they make so many models of golf clubs because everyone's swing is different!

I beg to differ. I'm 96 on the Mizuno optimizer and the 54's are one of the best irons I've ever hit, definitely not high and not for slow swingers. I hit them the same height and distance as my MP5's, but the 5's feel a touch better. 900 forged are 3* stronger in 6 iron. Still play 54 in 4 iron and 3 iron (bent to 19*) with my 5's b/c 4 iron is my favorite club in the bag. Amazes me the people who say the 54 irons lack distance. In 6 iron it was equal to the JPX850 forged, even though 850 was stronger lifted. Only 5 yards behind 900 forged which is 3* stronger.

i had no distance issues with mp54....had 3 sets and if anything picked up few yds...and am slower smooth swinger who hits ball fairly low...

Why would anyone want to hit their irons farther? Well at 150 out If rather hit an 8 iron with my CF16s rather than a easy 6 with a set of MP 53s Mizunos are buttery soft but very short distance wise.

Scott

Are they actually "very short" distance-wise? I mean, considering like for like lofts? I haven't really seen any of that but then again I've been playing Mizzy for years. I'm not challenging you. I'm genuinely curious. I'm currently playing MP59s.

I had several sets of MP 54s and know buddies who gamed them as well theyre short but no shorter than say a MP 53. I think 59s may have been longer due to mass behind sweetspot. I know when I first got 54s I had a set of MP 68 blades and I hit those farther with same shaft.

Frankly I hope Mizuno (are you listening Chris Voshall) brings the MP 55 to the US. MP feel and theyre stronger lofted and will kick the CF16s out of many players bags.

The 900F fits that spot very well and feels wonderful, regardless of what anyone wants to say about the Boron.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I know it's hard to keep innovating with so many Iron makers but these look very close to the MP-18 SC .

Maruman%20Conductor%20Pro%20Cavity_zpsnnox0xei.jpg

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Man do those look a lot like bridgestones

everything looks like everything anymore.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

It's a Mizzy MCB for chrissakes, not a TBaG neon iron�� Not everyone slaps badges and writing all over the faceback-

custom_MZN_CS_14000108_100_1_en.jpg

:)

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. that is the best slam ever.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah finally get rid of that harsh feeling GF Boron so the SC has GF Forged HD yet the S18 is GF Forged Boron?

It has more to do with the head design than the boron....

Aside from Mizzy's cast/forged "test" with their Staffers back in 2011, and granted I've only spoken to two design engineers(one from Mizzy, one from Staff) so it's not like I've talked to a significant number, though the Mizzy guy was the #2 guy on the 87's and lead designer on the 37's, and both said that head design was more critical to the "feel" of a club than material with the advent and evolution of today's machining processes. Also, the few Plus Ams/Pros that I've spoken to that have hit the 25's, to a man(well, and one woman, lol), said the 25's were nice irons, though two of the five mentioned "flyers," which I haven't heard since the 58/59/15's and they all mentioned the head design regarding the feel.

Madison, who ended up going with the Staff 100 Tours, thought that the feel/sound of the 25's was similar to the Staff Fg Tour V6's, Staff's Player's MCB, a "crisper(firmer)" feel/sound, which she doesn't have feelings about one way or the other cuz she thought that the 100's felt "crisper" than the 5's.

Anyhoo, my point is that while someone may not like the 25's, think they're trash, yada yada yada, I just chuckle cuz nowhere else do we here these kind of comments regarding the material, i.e., boron. Not in the press, not from the Tour Boys and Girls that hit em and commented, not from any Players locally that any of us may have spoken to and not from Mizzy, which is not known for flippantly and frivolously changing and/or introducing something new into their line-up. I don't recall hearing these kind of comments about the 58/59's, and I thought those irons just plain friggin sucked(They set a whole new bar for me ragrding the definition of a "flyer," lol)

Nada...

Nil..

Nothing...

Oh well, thank the good Lord that Mizzy has a plethora of irons for the guys to belt around and hopefully everyone finds one to their liking :)

Just my .03 of course☺️

Stay well my Friends

RP

Hey RP, I've had the 25's in the bag for over a year now and 100+ rounds. After 10 years of playing 2-3 times per year, I got back into golf like an addict...and the MP-25 was the perfect fit to replace my circa 1999 Titleist DCI 990's. Yeah, 1999!. After putting them through the paces I can confirm the things I loved about them from the start hold true today - forgiveness, workability, forgiving turf interaction from the slightly-thicker-than-a-true-blade sole.

Now that I'm striking them in the middle of the face for the most part, I can start nitpicking right? I'd like to see a slightly lighter head weight and a slimmer topline. A slightly lower traj. I imagine those changes would also reduce the forgiveness on those mediocre strikes, but we're all looking for that perfect iron that does it all. The MP-18SC looks really nice to me so I'll probably give them a try in the Fall. I can tell you I won't be trading in my 25's though, because they are just a crazy good iron. It sounds like the safest possible iron choice for you, as it was for me when I decided to get back into it.

Hope that helps, and wish you the best of luck. Cheers!

Josh