2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Huge dislike for my Edel E2

Alex1975

I've heard similar stories from a few people. The Edel fitting is great for aim however it does not take into account your stroke and how the putter reacts during the stroke. Therefor sometimes you get a putter that you can aim well but cannot get the ball into the hole with.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too bad you hate the putter after going through a fitting and spending a bunch of $$$. But I think if a putter doesn't have your confidence, it's time to move on.

I got fitted for an Edel and have had a great experience. It's been in my bag for two years now. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't.

A couple points of clarification about the fitting process. Someone said you get a putter that is the fitter's idea of what's good for you. Well the fitter (at least the one I had) was constantly asking for my feedback as we rolled putt after putt after putt. I felt it was a really good process. It was truly a dynamic fitting process that took into account aim, fit, feel, distance control, stroke dynamics and aesthetics.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is very easy to change one's putting setup and stroke--much more so that the full swing IMO. Once you do that, one's custom fit putter may not fit so well any more.

So it's the putter that's "awful on stock putts"?

Short on post count? I know my limitations.... I am in the putter section talking about my putter....

lol fair enough man. It just seems you have stuck with it for a year while hating it, are convinced it's the problem, and are still wanting opinions on what to do.

looking forward to your "My driver it just terrible at hitting the ball straight" thread

Ahh it is a post count thing, you have nothing to offer and a small manhood.... its all good bro.

Ah, you're creepy and a s****y putter?

I'll try taking your original complaint seriously for a second. In all honesty i say give it another year minimum. Maybe "it" will get better at those stock putts "it's" awful at now. Hopefully "it" won't get worse at those tricky putts "it" currently excels at. And, with any luck, "it" will be able to reimburse you for the money "it" owes you. Bro

This has to be one of the funniest post I have read in awhile including your previous post referencing " my driver is just terrible at hitting the ball straight". Good stuff

I went through the Edel fitting and the putter has delivered for me. Putts are on line and distance control is very good. I am a much improved putter since putting the E-2 in my bag. Mine is not counter balanced. The fitter took a lot of time after the aim part of the fitting looking at my stroke to determine whether or not counter balancing was necessary and it was not in my case. Did the fitter actually fit you for counterbalance or did you happen to ask about it and you tried it and liked it but in actuality were never fit for that part of the putter???

• 1 month later...

Funny I just wrote about my experience with my Edel E1 in another thread... it did certainly take a little time to trust the aim, and allow my brain and stroke to stop compensating for years of aiming outside right of the hole with other putters... I would give it a good couple weeks and see how it goes...

I have had an Edel E1 Torque going on the 2nd season now.. never putted better with any other putter.. most consistent I've ever been for the longest period of time.. sure I still have off days, but usually those are days i'm misreading everything or not sticking to my routine. I think much of that is attributed to the full Edel certified fitting.

Interesting reading all the comments on deteriorating putting game, or poor distance control. My experience is just so different... distance control for me is what improved the most... we worked on distance control for quite a bit during my fitting... tried with and without counterbalancing and both heavier and lighter weights to dial in my distance control before ordering... I learned that I did NOT get along at all with counterweights in the middle of the shaft...

I would say work with a good certified Edel fitter and do the fitting to take full advantage... they fit to your aim... we tried various combinations of head shapes, shaft bends and sight lines for almost an hour until we found what I aim consistently the best.... 2 lines on the back of the putter, mid mallet shape, and oddly a shaft with an "onset" bend so the head actually is slightly ahead of the shaft at setup. From about 8 feet away, I consistently aimed my old scotty easily 3 inches outside the hole on the right.. my brain would compensate and my stroke would adjust to hit it straight. With the Edel fitting, I was aiming the Edel center of the hole consistently when lining up.

I must admit, it took me a few weeks to get used to the look of it after I got it... especially the onset shaft. I really had to trust the aim since my brain "feels" like its gonna go left on me even though my lines are aimed at my target. I spent the first 2 weeks on the putting green, just aiming the lines to the target, making putts, and trusting it even if it "felt" a little off... and when I trusted the aim, I started making putts... once I was making putts, I just kept making 5-6 footers for a while until I had the confidence in it... once I gained the trust, since then.. the thing has been money... the fitter advised me it would take a little time for my brain to adjust to being able to the aim without making its normal compensations to my stroke that it used to. He was completely accurate.

My strokes gained have improved considerably to where my strokes gained putting is -0.4 vs scratch.. and average 1.7 putts per hole according to my GameGolf stats..

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I went through the Edel fitting and the putter has delivered for me. Putts are on line and distance control is very good. I am a much improved putter since putting the E-2 in my bag. Mine is not counter balanced. The fitter took a lot of time after the aim part of the fitting looking at my stroke to determine whether or not counter balancing was necessary and it was not in my case. Did the fitter actually fit you for counterbalance or did you happen to ask about it and you tried it and liked it but in actuality were never fit for that part of the putter???

Agreed.. same experience here. I had a VERY thorough fitting of about an hour and 45 min.. spent probably 15 min on distance control alone, and even got a little time on the SAM putt lab.. I also did NOT get along with the counterbalancing, but they put the counterweights in the middle of the shaft when I did my fitting a couple years back.. since then I needed a new grip, and tried out the SuperStoke slim/tour pistol grip with the counterbalance, and found that I do kind of like the feel of the counterbalance high in the grip.. so I started to use that... but it's more of a preference in feel than anything. Was making putts with the Edel before and after that grip.. love it.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I've considered going through a fitting. I'm actually going for their single length irons.

The problem or issue I see is the definition of "aim.

Personally, I define "aim" as the end result. If you measure "aim" with the lines on your putter that is a totally different thing.

For me, If your putter is "aimed" 3 inches right of target at address but you made the putt, then guess what... you had perfect "aim"

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

Hi all,

I have an Edel E2 custom putter, its a beautiful thing. The fitting was really good and I was very excited to receive the putter from the US. The putter I was fitted for it very counter balanced and when fitted the thing just seemed to auto release. Since I received it I just hate it. I think it is the golf club I have hated most in my life. I have never owned a golf club that made you focus so much on contact that its to the detriment for everything else. The thing is SO sensitive. On really tricky putts its very good but on any stock putt its just awful.

Truth be told it owes me a lot of money and for that reason its stayed in my bag for about a year but with how I feel about it I really have to get rid of it don't I? I mean, its unlikely now that I will some how fall in love now?!

Anyone else had this with Edel putters?

Advice please?

I like mine and I have to give a shout out to Edel. I thought my fitter might have missed something so I sent it back to Edel and asked them to make some changes. I expected them to charge me for it and they did not. They did the work and sent it back to me no charge.

Granted, I paid $800 and change for my putter but Edel didn't owe me anything.

Needless to say I think their customer service is top notch. May want to give them a call.

My two cents.

I've considered going through a fitting. I'm actually going for their single length irons.

Personally, I define "aim" as the end result. If you measure "aim" with the lines on your putter that is a totally different thing.

For me, If your putter is "aimed" 3 inches right of target at address but you made the putt, then guess what... you had perfect "aim"

Agree.. making putts is what counts regardless how you think about it... I'm all for whatever works for each individual. I do happen to think about aim a little differently... here's how I think about aim..

If I'm "aimed" 3 inches right of the target, I'm not aimed at my target, and I either need to use compensations in my swing or stroke to get the ball rolling on and toward the target (assuming a straight back/straight through swing for simplicity of illustration). So if I make the putt when I was aimed 3 inches right.. I don't feel like I had perfect aim... I would say I either had perfect compensations for my aim, or I am aiming away from my target to compensate for a stroke that doesn't start the ball toward my target.

My belief is that fewer conscious or unconscious compensations will increase in consistency.. at least for me. I like to eliminate the variables where I can so the fit to aim philosophy of Edel resonates really well with me and my golf philosophies... others may be happy to compensate as long as the end result is good... :yes:

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

Agree.. making putts is what counts regardless how you think about it... I'm all for whatever works for each individual. I do happen to think about aim a little differently... here's how I think about aim..

If I'm "aimed" 3 inches right of the target, I'm not aimed at my target, and I either need to use compensations in my swing or stroke to get the ball rolling on and toward the target (assuming a straight back/straight through swing for simplicity of illustration). So if I make the putt when I was aimed 3 inches right.. I don't feel like I had perfect aim... I would say I either had perfect compensations for my aim, or I am aiming away from my target to compensate for a stroke that doesn't start the ball toward my target.

My belief is that fewer conscious or unconscious compensations will increase in consistency.. at least for me. I like to eliminate the variables where I can so the fit to aim philosophy of Edel resonates really well with me and my golf philosophies... others may be happy to compensate as long as the end result is good... :yes:

While making the putt is absolutely the end result we want, I'd argue that when I'm lining up the put and accounting for 3" of break, what I'm actually aiming at then is the target line of the break. If the putt goes in, then I had perfect aim on the target line and excellent distance control.

What Edel spent a lot of time working on when it comes to their putters is how you perceive the face at address. It's a combination of factors including what eye dominance you have as well as alignment aids on the top of the putter or a lack thereof and how that makes you want to stroke the putter to put the ball on target. For example, mallet shaped putters make me open the putterface and crank hosels make me close the putterface - I perceive that the face is straight with either, but the laser test they do during fittings shows I'm off. For me, their E-3 "blade" model with no offset and 3* of loft was the best fit and I don't have to worry (read "think") about stroke path in relation to face orientation when aiming a putt on my target line.

Short on post count?

12,209 posts??

In answer to your question, No, he is not

Regarding the putter, get rid of it, like immediately

Don't put it in the closet, don't stick it in the basement...

Sell it, give it away, hell, throw it away if ya must, but get rid of it-

It's shot

The Best to Ya?

Have a nice weekend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Short on post count? I know my limitations.... I am in the putter section talking about my putter....

lol fair enough man. It just seems you have stuck with it for a year while hating it, are convinced it's the problem, and are still wanting opinions on what to do.

looking forward to your "My driver it just terrible at hitting the ball straight" thread

Ahh it is a post count thing, you have nothing to offer and a small manhood.... its all good bro.

Why do some guys always gotta go at that manhood thingy??????

I couldn't get it up with a crane right now so a "small manhood" would be a step in the right direction, lmao, so fire away Bro?

I do wish ya well with you your putting!!

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Agreed. End result is the main thing. I putt with a Miura KM 350 that I had Tom Slighter mill with a smooth face to 0* loft with a 1/2 shaft offset about 5* flat (not that it would matter much because the loft is 0*). For me, this is a zero'd out putter. If I went through a fitting I'm sure it would look like I'm aimed a couple inches right, ball off the toe with an OTT look.

The dimple you need to hit to make the putt doesn't change. Use whatever you need to hit it.

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

Short on post count?

12,209 posts??

In answer to your question, No, he is not

Regarding the putter, get rid of it, like immediately

Don't put it in the closet, don't stick it in the basement...

Sell it, give it away, hell, throw it away if ya must, but get rid of it-

It's shot

The Best to Ya

Have a nice weekend

RP

This is pretty much exactly what went down... its out, gone, never to be seen again. As soon as I got it out and got another Ping Ketsch all felt right with the world.

Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Edel E2 Custom - 35"

I've had my Edel Torque Balanced E-3 for almost two years and haven't taken it out of the bag until now. I've stuck with it longer than most putters, but there is just something about the feel/look that throws me off at times.I have shot some of my personal best rounds with it, but there's just something about it.

Not sure if I would have liked the mallet version better, but I'm going to try something different and see if I come back to it. Definitely know how you feel though OP - somewhat glad to see others are having similar thoughts as me on their Edel.