2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Well, I can hit it crooked going through a swing change - I've done the impossible.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Well, I can hit it crooked going through a swing change - I've done the impossible.

How far do you hit it when you do hit it straight ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Has anyone hit this with a Tour Green shaft? I currently have an X2Hot Pro with the Aldila Tour Green and would consider just getting the head to try out. I'm looking for a little lower spin than my X2 and little more draw biased.

Callaway X2Hot Pro 9.5 Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Callaway XHot 16 4w RIP Phenom Stiff
Cobra F8 3 Hybrid One Length
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Cobra King Black 56
Callaway 2M O-Works
Callaway ChromeSoft Yellow Truvis

Does anyone know the weight of the head on its own ?

I weighed mine on a kitchen weight measuring device at 191 grams, it was 1 gram heavier than the head of my XR16. No idea how accurate the device is but that's all I've got!

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

I've hit it with an atx tour blue tx flex and it was ok, but prefer it with my current set up

Playing it at 44.5" with the di7x, -1 loft

Have compared it to

Epic wth bb6x

Xr16 pro with atx blue and di7x

2017 m1 with tp7x

917 d3 with d+ltd 70x

It's been the most consistent driver, best for finding fairways and has hit my longest drives

A country mile

I weighed mine on a kitchen weight measuring device at 191 grams, it was 1 gram heavier than the head of my XR16. No idea how accurate the device is but that's all I've got!

Thanks SM, not too light then, I have a XR16 - Pro head that weighs the same & I've tweaked that to 194g & loving it.

Can't wait for CPO to have some sort of driver sale or warehouse sale!

I used it over my Epic in my last round. 45.5" HZRDUS yellow 75 stiff....thing is a beast. And covered my mistakes very well. Splitting fairways made super easy with this combo.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Thanks SM, not too light then, I have a XR16 - Pro head that weighs the same & I've tweaked that to 194g & loving it.

Can't wait for CPO to have some sort of driver sale or warehouse sale!

The Fusion is a lovely driver, the head shape might not suit everyone but when the ball goes sailing down the fairway you can learn to love it. Agree with those on here who said it flew under the radar - a most under rated club.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

I've hit it with an atx tour blue tx flex and it was ok, but prefer it with my current set up

Have compared it to

Epic wth bb6x

2017 m1 with tp7x

917 d3 with d+ltd 70x

It's been the most consistent driver, best for finding fairways and has hit my longest drives

A country mile

The blue will launch a little higher than the green. What was your biggest issue with the blue? I also may have a PX driver shaft that I could try in it, if I can get the head. This could be an interesting combo as well.

Callaway X2Hot Pro 9.5 Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Callaway XHot 16 4w RIP Phenom Stiff
Cobra F8 3 Hybrid One Length
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Cobra King Black 56
Callaway 2M O-Works
Callaway ChromeSoft Yellow Truvis

Ordered a BBF from Callaway pre-owned (ordered a left handed 10.5 degree 44.5 stiff shaft Recoil) and received a 10.5 with the 5 gram weight and right handed recoil (still 44.5). Argh. Wrong weight and right handed shaft. Was dying to hit it. Called pre-owned and they're going to send me another driver but this one is 9 degree. Say that I can simply grab the shaft and weight from the new one when it arrives and send the other combo back. How's that for customer service!

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I really like this driver but the recoil r flex that it came with was a little to soft and would slice it I went after it, I changed to a Rogue silver stiff, better dispersion was better but found the launch was too low. I didn't want to give up on this head so I decided to go with an inexpensive high launch shaft a chance before moving on . So I bought a Pro Launch blue supercharged 55 S shaft and Bingo

High launch bombs... added 20 yards of carry , dispersion is just fine . Loving this baby now.

gb

I really like this driver but the recoil r flex that it came with was a little to soft and would slice it I went after it, I changed to a Rogue silver stiff, better dispersion was better but found the launch was too low. I didn't want to give up on this head so I decided to go with an inexpensive high launch shaft a chance before moving on . So I bought a Pro Launch blue supercharged 55 S shaft and Bingo

High launch bombs... added 20 yards of carry , dispersion is just fine . Loving this baby now.

gb

The Callaway Mitsubishi Red works well in this driver and not that expensive.

Have compared it to

Epic wth bb6x

2017 m1 with tp7x

917 d3 with d+ltd 70x

A country mile

The blue will launch a little higher than the green. What was your biggest issue with the blue? I also may have a PX driver shaft that I could try in it, if I can get the head. This could be an interesting combo as well.

Just went too high and seemed to spin a bit. Didn't go as far as the combo with the di7x

Anyone playing the fairway wood? Very mixed reviews online.

I have the 3 wood (and a 5 wood that I only bag on links style courses). Easiest to hit FW I have ever tried. Can't imagine it getting mixed reviews.

Still have my eye on an epic 3W because of all the good reviews, but trying to hold off.

[size=3]PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60S
Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES F4
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300
PING Glide 2.0 54° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
Toulon Garage Columbus
TaylorMade 2017 TP5[/size]

gb

I think this is a head where one might need to play the shaft lottery. I know it is technically a "forgiving" head, but it is still a rather low spin head from what I have found. I thought the Fusion would be great, what with the stock 44.5" length, weighted appropriately. But I struck out with a Blueboard, Kuro Kage Black, and stock Recoil 450. I ended up going back to the old reliable 910D2, and likely not putting much more effort or expense into the Fusion. Definitely one to try though.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

gb

Just to be clear, you're referring to Callaway's stock shaft, the (Made by Mitsubishi) Diamana Red, yes ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

gb

Just to be clear, you're referring to Callaway's stock shaft, the (Made by Mitsubishi) Diamana Red, yes ?

Yes

I hit the 10,5 last week Thursday with a Fujikura Pro 63ts X, I had just had one of my best driving days of the year & saw this in the pro shop after my game.

Asked if I could hit it at the range for a couple minutes, so coming from smashing my XR16-Pro / Oban Gold 75x, I thought this would be a good combo to try.

Let me start by saying that the feel of the two shafts could not be more different & it took a few swings to come to grips with it.

Once I did adjust, this setup was booging man, mid/high flight that hit the ground running.

With no monitor to do a proper back to back & only my eyes & feel to go by, the Fusion / pro ts was crazy long and not as hard to load as I expected, the ball went super straight with the odd fade from time to time.

If I wasn't hitting my current setup so well, I'd come home with it. I have been offered a good deal on it ???, thinking about it though, if it is still there next week when I play, then it is coming home with me!!

Hit the Fusion today for the first time (with a HZRDUS T800 6.0, which is too soft for me), and the verdict is...

It's pretty damn awesome.

I was shocked. Out of the Epic, Epic SZ, Fusion, TM AeroBurner TP, and 2017 M2, I got the best average ball speeds with the Fusion, but that's not what impressed me. I loved the launch and, more particularly, the way the club head mass feels during the backswing and in transition. The ball wants to go where you point the club, and it produced (for me, at least) a mid-high, penetrating flight with a tendency for "stable" draw spin (as opposed to tumbling draw spin).

One of the problems I've had with modern era "frying pan" drivers is that I tend to leave the club face wide open on otherwise-good swings, resulting in some serious bombs about 40 yards right of my target. The head shape of the Fusion really resists this type of motion, and I think for some guys, this club will nearly eliminate both the push-block-bomb miss and the wipey flare.

I will almost certainly pick one of these up when the price point gets around ~$200 on the BST. The only bummer is there's no stock x-flex setup, and that will limit aftermarket options for guys like me.

I like your analysis. Never had heard that buf I can feel it. Leaving the face open on 460cc drivers is exactly what I do. Not really a slice. It starts high and right and really carries, but in the wrong direction. I always feel like I am having to put the ball too far off my front foot to get the club square at impact. And then I feel like I'm trying to hard to square it with my hands instead of releasing it.

When I avoid this I hit the ball long and down the middle, but I am in the right rough about half the time. I did it three holes in a row today and finally just pulled my 14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep and hit a nice 260 yard penetrating draw. Man, drivers can be frustrating. The one I played today is 45.75 inches long. The 3 Deep is 43 inches and I am substantially better with it in dispersion. The shorter Fusion is the one I find intriguing. I have played previous drivers at 44.75 and liked them. Over 45 seems to be where I start hitting it poorly.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Ordered a BBF from Callaway pre-owned (ordered a left handed 10.5 degree 44.5 stiff shaft Recoil) and received a 10.5 with the 5 gram weight and right handed recoil (still 44.5). Argh. Wrong weight and right handed shaft. Was dying to hit it. Called pre-owned and they're going to send me another driver but this one is 9 degree. Say that I can simply grab the shaft and weight from the new one when it arrives and send the other combo back. How's that for customer service!

They will also send you a 12g weight if you request it.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

The swing change is beginning to take hold, beginning to ... I will know more within a month. But ...

I don't want to say much as to SS because my hips and lower body are just beginning to liven up.

I enjoy the BB Fusion - like the sound, the 44.5, the high MOI, have a 12g weight to screw in, and would pull the plug on a 3 wd but I love the sound and performance of the XR16 fairways - so I ordered a lighter, high launching shaft for the 3 wd head.

I hit an Epic fairway - not enough sound/feedback - love the zing of the XR16 and don't see a difference other than easier to launch an Epic 3 wood. An issue that can be resolved with a reshaft.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Love my fusion. Very easy driver to hit and I did hit the Epic driver and both were within a couple of feet from each other (the fusion was just slightly longer for me) but did like the softer feel of the Epic (not worth the cost to upgrade though).

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2