The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

I have the 3 wood and it's great just ordered the 5 wood to mess with my 3 hybrid

Same as me , Just pick up the 3 wood and love it. The 5 wood is on my list .

Stock Recoil shaft or what?

No graphic design tour adi 7s

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

Stopped in a store to check out the Fusion today and I actually like the triangular head. Seems easier to aim and that is big for me. I seem to have target alignment issues with drivers that I don't have with irons.

For those who have adjusted their Fusion, if I got a 45.5 inch model and cut a 1/2 inch off the butt to get it to 45, is it easy with the weights to get the swingweight I want? The setup I like is either the Diamana S+ (Blueboard) 70 or D+ (Whiteboard) 70 in stiff. Want to play it at 45 inches and D3.

I play an 80g Whiteboard in my X2 Hot 3Deep and love how it performs. Have always fit these shafts well so am sticking with them, but I know I will hit the Diamana Red stock shaft too high.

Would go with the whiteboard in driver but with this head am worried it will launch too low and possibly spin too low as well. So Blueboard is probably more likely as I also like that the S+ is counterbalanced. I read that the Whiteboard is "not as counterbalanced," though not sure what that means.

If someone can recommend a Rogue that is similar to the Diamanas would consider that too. Had a Rogue Silver and found it too harsh. I usually like a little torque for feel, in the 3.0-3.4 range. I just don't know the different Rogues all that well, buf I did like the Aldila Tour Green and Blue shafts.This is a great thread, interesting observations. Thanks

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Stopped in a store to check out the Fusion today and I actually like the triangular head. Seems easier to aim and that is big for me. I seem to have target alignment issues with drivers that I don't have with irons.

For those who have adjusted their Fusion, if I got a 45.5 inch model and cut a 1/2 inch off the butt to get it to 45, is it easy with the weights to get the swingweight I want? The setup I like is either the Diamana S+ (Blueboard) 70 or D+ (Whiteboard) 70 in stiff. Want to play it at 45 inches and D3.

I play an 80g Whiteboard in my X2 Hot 3Deep and love how it performs. Have always fit these shafts well so am sticking with them, but I know I will hit the Diamana Red stock shaft too high.

Would go with the whiteboard in driver but with this head am worried it will launch too low and possibly spin too low as well. So Blueboard is probably more likely as I also like that the S+ is counterbalanced. I read that the Whiteboard is "not as counterbalanced," though not sure what that means.

If someone can recommend a Rogue that is similar to the Diamanas would consider that too. Had a Rogue Silver and found it too harsh. I usually like a little torque for feel, in the 3.0-3.4 range. I just don't know the different Rogues all that well, buf I did like the Aldila Tour Green and Blue shafts.This is a great thread, interesting observations. Thanks

Rogue Black a little higher spin 3.6-3.8 I think little higher launch perhaps.

Rogue Black seems to be the shaft for those who do nof take to the Silver. A few others have said I shoiuld try that one. Maybe just grab a Fusion head and then go get a shaft. I don't know if Callaway offers the Black/Fusion combo from the factory. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can adjust the swingweight by changing the weight. There is a 12g weight for the 44.5 length and a lighter one (5g?) for the longer length. You can probably get other weights tha fit from somewhere like Billybob Golf.

For me, the stndard Fusion is a little light. I had the heavy weight with a regular length but slightly heavier Hzrdus shaft and that felt right to me.

I've tried the Rogue Silver and Black but not in a Fusion. Neither are what I would call low spin, with the Black being slightly higher launch and spin than the Silver

If you like the Whiteboard, I'd try that. I had my best results with the Hzrdus Black and Yellow. Both are low launch and spin, but I have a strong positive AOA, and the Fusion is quite high launching, so I got near ideal numbers.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Callaway will just send you the weight(s) without issue if you call them. I picked up a Fusion with the 12g weight, but wanted to try the 5g weight as well. I called Callaway, and they sent me the 5g weight no questions asked.

In the end, the Fusion did not really work for me, at least in the 10.5*. Light or heavy swing weight, short or standard shaft length. I tried multiple shafts. Again though, kudos to Callaway for offering up this easy way to try shorter length drivers (without the usual corresponding low swing weight). If I can someday pick up the 13.5* head cheap at some point, and dial that loft down, it might work better for me. I need to loft up on drivers.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

You can adjust the swingweight by changing the weight. There is a 12g weight for the 44.5 length and a lighter one (5g?) for the longer length. You can probably get other weights tha fit from somewhere like Billybob Golf.

For me, the stndard Fusion is a little light. I had the heavy weight with a regular length but slightly heavier Hzrdus shaft and that felt right to me.

I've tried the Rogue Silver and Black but not in a Fusion. Neither are what I would call low spin, with the Black being slightly higher launch and spin than the Silver

If you like the Whiteboard, I'd try that. I had my best results with the Hzrdus Black and Yellow. Both are low launch and spin, but I have a strong positive AOA, and the Fusion is quite high launching, so I got near ideal numbers.

Thanks for this. With Fusion being such a high launcher, a whiteboard may bring that down a bit. (I have no problems with elevation, so want more penetrating flight.)

I can say that Diamana D+ 80 I have in my Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep is a winning combo. Ball just gets out there and fast. It never balloons. Many holes, I can just tee off with that. It is 43 inches and I hit it in the fairway far more than my 45.75 inch driver.

Might set up a Fusion at 44.5 to 45 and see how it goes! If I can get more consistency off the tee, I can really improve. I hit a lot of greens in regulation, but the majority of those have not been approach shots hit from the fairway.

I own a 9* Fusion w/diamana and a 10.5* Epic Rogue Max 65. Both are stiff. I played the fusion last winter and jumped on the epic bandwagon this spring. As a result, I've not yet played the fusion during good weather. This is in part due to the epic loft (10.5) being more suited to me. The fusion was good but cold weather isn't a fair comparison. The Epic is the longest driver I've played and pretty forgiving.

Fast forwarded to today. I go to a demo to try an Epic in a different shaft and to compare Epic to m1. I ask my buddy (rep) if the Fusions are selling and he said nearly everyone he has gotten to try it, likes it better than Epic.

He put me in Fusion 10.5* with Recoil 450/F4 at 44.5" and 12g weight. Wow!!! Best hits are nearly as long as Epic and misses are longer than Epic and wow, Fusion was way way way straighter for me than Epic.

I'll be putting the Fusion in the bag for my next round to see if the 9* fusion at 45/46" can compare to the 44.5" w/recoil. I hope it works. If not, I'll be looking for the 44.5" Fusion in 10.5*.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I own a 9* Fusion w/diamana and a 10.5* Epic Rogue Max 65. Both are stiff. I played the fusion last winter and jumped on the epic bandwagon this spring. As a result, I've not yet played the fusion during good weather. This is in part due to the epic loft (10.5) being more suited to me. The fusion was good but cold weather isn't a fair comparison. The Epic is the longest driver I've played and pretty forgiving.

Fast forwarded to today. I go to a demo to try an Epic in a different shaft and to compare Epic to m1. I ask my buddy (rep) if the are Fusions are selling and he said nearby everyone he has gotten to try it, likes it better than Epic.

He put me in Fusion 10.5* with Recoil 450/F4 at 44.5" and 12g weight. Wow!!! Best hits are near,y as long as Epic and misses are longer than Epic and wow, Fusion was way way way straighter for me than Epic.

I'll be putting the Fusion in the bag for my next round to see if the 9* fusion at 45/46" can compare to the 44.5" w/recoil. I hope it works. If not, I'll be looking for the 44.5" Fusion in 10.5*.

Yeah, was wondering about 9 vs 10.5 but I was thinking 10.5 with a whiteboard. Glad to hear you liked that Recoil driver shaft. Don't hear much about it. Most of them come with that. I'm just waiting for them to drop one more rung in price on the used market.

Here is hoping what I've already got will do the job. That stated, if I move the epic and current fusion that should provide the funds needed to acquire a fusion with the correct specs.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I put the Fusion 10.5 with the 44.5 recoil in play for four rounds so far and it just wants to go straight. Very consistent driver. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I'm a little surprised the Fusion hasn't gotten at least a bit more love as well.

I'll 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or,,,, :rolleyes: ) how straight this driver is. Hard to turn it either way.

I've been out of the country since December and am DYING to try the Epic, launched just after I left :ninja: . But before I left I was having LOTS of driving problems "chasing" a positive AoA.

I treated myself to a birthday present of a very slightly used 9* Fusion driver with the Diamana Red shaft. Now, I've never even tried the Red because a high(er) launch is something I don't need but that was the stock shaft. I have used the Whiteboard and the Blueboard over the last 10 or so years and I do like Diamana shafts.

Got some pretty decent numbers on the LM including a surprisingly low spin rate for such a (presumably) high handicapper's driver, so I bought a recently traded back Fusion for a slight discount ($350).

Anyway, I didn't use it right away. Just used my Cobra Bio Cell+. I HAVE been using it for about 4 months now and I don't find any noticeable improvement (or loss) in length but it is definitely "point and shoot". Hard to curve in either direction, even if you try.

And the Diamana Red ? Well, having stopped chasing the upward AoA and swinging mostly level again I find that if I tee it high it flies high. If I tee it down I hit low bullets. D'Ohhhhhhhh.

An added plus - I can tee it low and hit a "punch drive", sawing off the follow through, giving up about 20 yards but hitting it dead straight - and into the wind this shot works verrrrrry well.

Net-net I get back to the states in 3 weeks and can't wait to try the Epic. I also expect I'll try to pick up a few different shafts to try with the Fusion (a bonus that they'd fit the Epic as well if I get one of those). I'm thinking the Tour AD line. I actually hit a Titleist D3 and an XR14 Pro a few times here on the course, both with Tour AD shafts (1 MJ-6 and the other an MT-6) and smacked them right down the pipe as well.

And of course because of the few swings with the XR Pro I want to try the XR16 Pro as well !!! Maybe the Sub Zero too !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you really like your Fusion!

Will Callaway release a Fusion with jailbreak?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I put the Fusion 10.5 with the 44.5 recoil in play for four rounds so far and it just wants to go straight. Very consistent driver. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

It is one helluva driver! Mine is 9.0* with the Recoil in stiff, just awesome.

I actually bought the 3 wood first, same shaft, finest 3 wood I have ever had. Shop had a demo that hadn't been hit and after trying it I asked them to sell me the demo straight out of the fitting cart, they did.

Ended up going the same route on the driver. Have a 45.5" Speeder that I switch in now and then when a change is in order...

I've since tried the Epic w/ Jail Break and it's a complete No Go for me vs. the Fusion.

I suspect Fusion's are probably popping up at a discount now, this club is a home run.

Anyone have a view on the 9 degree head vs 10.5? Some clubs launch higher than others regardless of loft. I generally prefer to get the lower-lofted head and loft up a degree as needed, as elevation is typically not an issue for me. But if this club is super low spin, I might opt for the 10.5 head.

Anyone have a view on the 9 degree head vs 10.5? Some clubs launch higher than others regardless of loft. I generally prefer to get the lower-lofted head and loft up a degree as needed, as elevation is typically not an issue for me. But if this club is super low spin, I might opt for the 10.5 head.

I can only give an educated guess for your game, but I don't think you really need to go down to a 9* head with the Fusion. I don't have any hard numbers, but out on the course for me, the 10.5* was more low launching than high launching, and seemed to be lower spin than many drivers I have hit. So if I had to pick one option for you, I would suggest the 10.5*.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

I tested both the 9* and the 10.5* before purchasing and I found the 10.5* had a more consistent ball flight. Also went with the shorter shaft with the 12 gram weight in the head and I'm hitting the centre more often and no distance loss. If anything, I'm longer now.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Sneaky long club, super straight yet still workable in both directions. Playing mine at 45.5" with a Veylix Roughneck 75X & I love this club. Sold my Epics, although they were a touch longer overall. Only problem I have with this club is now it sounds like something is broke & rattling inside when tapped on the ground. However when swinging there's no sound at all. And contact is dead solid perfect. I'm going to pull the weight out next time I play to see if it's cracking. I've heard the weight can break. Its the only thing I can think of that could be making that sound.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

I tested both the 9* and the 10.5* before purchasing and I found the 10.5* had a more consistent ball flight. Also went with the shorter shaft with the 12 gram weight in the head and I'm hitting the centre more often and no distance loss. If anything, I'm longer now.

Thanks Jeffrey R and jbandalo.

I also see the 10.5 head as more likely to be the better fairway finder as well, just because a little loft helps. Accuracy is the No. 1 thing I am looking for. I hit it far enough, about 105 SS with a driver. I want more consistency in hitting fairways.

I am thinking 44.5 inch version with stock diamana red in stiff or x. (I hear players can handle a little more stiffness in this model shaft and I am the classic tweener between stiff and x.)

Best place to buy? 10.5* Recoil 450 F4 @ 44.5"

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

New? Best price I have seen for that club is $359.99 on eBay. Used are running $250-$300, depending on condition. I think they initially were $449 retail?

New? Best price I have seen for that club is $359.99 on eBay. Used are running $250-$300, depending on condition. I think they initially were $449 retail?

Bought mine (slightly) used, no doubt a new club return, from PGATSS last November at $349.

$399 at the time IIRC (either shaft).

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sold my original 9* Fusion with 5g weight in stiff Diamana red at the standard longer length. Although I hit it well, I felt the loft was too low.

Therefore, a Fusion 10.5* with 12g weight and Recoil 450 stiff at 44.5" is in route to battle the Epic. Due Monday.

Currently hitting the Epic very well on the course on good days. Not so good on bad days. I demo' the Epic, Fusion and m1 on a day I had a very poor swing. The 10.5* Fusion at 44.5" indicated I hit the Fusion much better when swing is poor.

Battle to begin as soon as Monday.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Went to a Callaway fit day thinking I'd wind up with a Sub Zero. First I got less spin with the Epic, then because of this thread I asked the guy to put the shaft that was working in the Epic in the Fusion - best numbers with the Fusion and a Whiteboard 80x.

I was swinging like garbage and the thing still worked. Was very surprising.

Sold my original 9* Fusion with 5g weight in stiff Diamana red at the standard longer length. Although I hit it well, I felt the loft was too low.Loft was too low

Therefore, a Fusion 10.5* with 12g weight and Recoil 450 stiff at 44.5" is in route to battle the Epic. Due Monday.

Currently hitting the Epic very well on the course on good days. Not so good on bad days. I demo' the Epic, Fusion and m1 on a day I had a very poor swing. The 10.5* Fusion at 44.5" indicated I hit the Fusion much better when swing is poor.

Battle to begin as soon as Monday.

Club arrived but had the 5g weight and not the 12g weight. CPO is sending the weight. Hopefully here before the weekend.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*