If you have hit a hole in one - what was the shot like

Bbo569

My first and only hole in one. I was playing my home course with my dad, best friend and brother in law. We shot the pin at 176, i was first to hit. Smooth 7 iron with a slight draw, it was the afternoon so a tree was casting a shadow over the hole. I heard a click and everyone said that went in but i didn't believe it. As we're all walking up to the green i took off in a sprint to see if it had actually gone in. It was an awesome experience!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and nly one, 25+ years ago, i was 14, playing with a friend, got to 14 hole that us a short 110 yds hoke 3/4 of an islad green, the green and tee are elevated. There was a elderly twosome ready to tee and asked us to play with them. They started talking about how we were going to witness an ace, lol, so they hit an no ace, my turn, I set up and hit this texsas leaguer (low wormer), hits the bottom of the green, goes up in the air, rolls up the green, hits the flag and in. I was shocked and the older guys too

[size=2]G25 8.5° phenom NL 60 s[/size]
[size=2]xcg7 13° fuel ts 70 s[/size]
[size=2]G20 16.5° nvs 85 s tipped 1.75"[/size]
[size=2]G20 3,4,5 & 6 hybrids nv 105 s[/size]
[size=2]G25 7-u irons s300 ssx1 +1"[/size]
[size=2]EYE XG s & l wedges 8 iron x100[/size]
[size=2]G2 ally c ss fatso 5.0[/size]

First one today. Par 3 175 yards. I'm not the best player it's only my second year and I'm not the longest hitter either. Grabbed the 5 iron. Felt like a nice shot I knew I hit the green I couldn't see the ball drop into the hole unfortunately but there was a group on the next tee they all cheered and jumped around. Made it up to the green and seen my ball in the cup and a beer left on the green for me.

I have three.

One was a terrible hook that bounced off the left of a back bunker off a rake, and flew in the hole.

Second was nearly a shank that hit the front right of a punchbowl green, and rolled all the way around to go in in the left front pin.

Third was a good punch shot in a ton of wind that rolled in like a putt.

So ya, luck matters.

Mine was about 5 years ago in a 2 man scramble. It was playing about 145 and I decided to go for the front part of the green to hopefully leave us an uphill putt and then let my partner go after it as he was definitely the A player. Hit one as straight as I could and took two hops then dropped.

As it was in the air I said something along the lines of, "Hey, that might have a chance."

The best part:

There was someone there taking side bets. $10 buy-in and on the green got a sleeve of balls, within a circle got double your money, and a hole in one got $1000.

The person taking the money (obviously not a golfer) said casually, "I was wondering when someone was going to do it."

The worst part:

After that I had way too much adrenaline running and my partner basically had to play the next 3 holes solo.

Because of that we ended up taking 3rd instead of having a chance to win it.

Luckily enough I have had 6, but I have not had one in a long time. Three were normal, right at the pin on two of them. The third played off a ridge(think number 16 at Augusta).

Others...

• Putter off of a 90 yard straight downhill muni we practiced on when I was in high school.
  • Wrong club that landed on the rocks short of the green, bounced on the right middle, caught a slope and rolled into the cup.
  • Last crappy one was a 7 iron that I hit 30 yards right of the green onto a slope, ball bounded down the hill, over the cart path and onto the green. Hit the pin and dropped,had it not hit the pin it would have gone in the water.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I have 2, but only one was witnessed (besides me and The Almighty). First was in a 4-some in a competitive match. 165 yard par 3 on a new course. 6 iron shot landed on the green took 2 bounces, rolled about 20 feet and disappeared into the cup. All 4 us went nuts! It was that course's first ACE, so they gave me a free round for the wife and I.

The no-witness ACE was on a 150 yd par 3. Blind shot due to elevation. Could not find my ball as I was playing alone. I assumed it went over the green and into the woods. I dropped a ball, chipped on, lag putted up to the hole and found my original shot in the cup.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I've been playing for 45 years, got my first one last year. Not an easy hole, big L shaped green with water in front and to the left, bunker right. From the back tees it can play anywhere from about 160 to 190. I took a few days off the week of my club club championship to practice. Played early in the morning, sun was still a bit low in the sky, and the pin was in the back, probably playing 180+. I striped a 6 iron right at the flag, but with the low sun and shadows, couldn't see it land. When I got up the green and didn't see a ball I assumed I was just long and in the rough. But checked the hole, and there it was....

I was playing with my daughter when she got one when she was in high school several years ago, similar story, but it was the end of the day, and she was hitting into the sun. She hit a PW from about 100+ yards. It looked good but we couldn't see it because of the sun. Checked over the green and didn't see it, then checked the hole, and she had holed it.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

19 years old, had been playing golf for 2 months and 2 days.

13th hole, 145 yard par 3 with the sun directly in our eyes. Unsurprisingly, I was the last to play. Pulled 9 iron, took a rip and knew immediately I had hit it a little fat. I was just about to start cussing and one of my playing partners said "it was right on line before I lost it, though." Unfortunately we all lost it in the sun. I walk up to the green, looking everywhere short of the green, in the bunker, etc. Couldn't find it. Walked off the back of the green, couldn't find it. Finally as a last resort I just checked in the cup and there she was. I could not believe it. The only thing I can think of is that it must have hit the slope on the front of the green just right and popped up and rolled right in. Better to be lucky than good I guess haha.

Edit: I forgot the best part of the story. I was so excited about the hole in one that on the very next hole I did the unthinkable.. I TEED OFF WITH THE HOLE IN ONE BALL. I was fighting a case of some left of left rope hooks, and hooked it into the woods. Took me two hours (almost dark) to find it, but eventually found it (MUCH further than my normal tee shots go.. adrenaline I guess). Luckily I had marked it uniquely enough that I had no doubt it was my ball.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two so far.

My first was on a 158 yard hole. I was playing with some irons that I wasn't hitting too well. The hole was playing into the wind so I hit 6 iron. Not a particularly well struck shot, but not bad. Bounced once short of the hole and then I lost sight of the ball. It's really hard to see the hole from the tee because of the way the green is designed, but I had a feeling it was gonna be really close. As we're driving up to the green I don't see a ball anywhere and I turn to my dad and say "it's in the hole." Sure enough, there it was. Thought I'd be more excited about it, but I think I felt more relief than joy. Didn't even save the ball.

Second ace happened less than a year later on a different course. Hole was playing 115 into the wind and I hit a punch pw. Ball landed short left of the hole, took one bounce to the right and straight in. There were a few greens keepers working on the back green side bunker that started cheering. Luckily I saw this one go in. Definitely more exciting when you see the ball go in from the tee :)

1st one- 142yrd TTP. Hit a low draw (by accident!!) and it landed pin high, about 3" to the right, and checked into hole almost right away. Little surprised at outcome of mis-hit!

2nd one- 155yrd TTP. Hit a high draw, landed 2' to the right, caught the slop and rolled into hole! I didn't even see it because of rough in front of green.

3rd one- 176 to hole. Hit a nice draw onto green. Caught the slope in favor of the draw, rolled about 20' into hole. That was nice to follow it to the pin and see it disappear.

Oh man I was having an awful day at the course and all of the sudden I skull this 6 iron into a blind shot Par 3. I get up on the green and start looking for the ball over the green, I was so sure I hit it over that I started walking back to the tee to hit another one while my partner looked for my ball. When I get to the tee I see him jumping around and screaming at me like a crazy person. Shot 41 those 9. It was awesome.

Proof the golf gods hate me. 2nd round ever. 195 downhill to a bowl green. hit my driver, an offset King Cobra, that was more of a top than a hit. Ball flew about 150 yards and rolled up the right side of the green and around the bowl into the cup. My playing partners laughed thier a** off! Shot 123 with an ace. Now I play off an 8.1 and havent sniffed one since. Stupid golf gods. ?

Had been playing golf for ~6mos.

156yds, 7i. Huge uncontrolled slice which caught the 30mph crosswind, landed 30ft short of the hole and rolled in. I rarely made par at the time. The other people in the foursome were stunned. It was funny. I think that they were actually disappointed that someone so bad at golf could make a hole in one.

Almost made another in the same round, 200yd hybrid hit super thin and rolled within inches of the hole. The other players really got a kick out of that one.

Was playing at a little par 3 in Groton CT with my wife (she was just riding along). Had a 114 yard hole and hit a 3/4 SW that was literally trying to land short of the green to let it bounce up because the greens were so hard that day I couldn't hold them with wedges. So I hit this perfect shot that bounced just short of the green and hopped 10 yards up to the flag and dropped directly in the hole. I couldn't believe I pulled the shot off and was stunned that it went in. Yay me. Haha.

2002ish. Equalizer with Apex Tour ball. Probably 135ish. Hit back of green and sucked down to front pin. Couldn't even see it go in until I got to the green. My one and only in 20+ years.

Ahh the old Apex Tour. That thing would spin like a top. :)

#1 - 165 yard 6 iron. Slight draw over bunker. Pin was back behind a bunker and I could not see it go in. Thought I had hit it over the green.

#2 - 127 yard PW, hit behind and right of hole, spun back down and went it.

#3 - 170 yard 6 iron. One hop and went in. Just a slight draw

#4 - 135 yard 9 iron. Another pin behind bunker so did not see it but the group ahead had waved us up to play thru. Hit really high shot...then they started yelling.

Not a hole in one but this week I had a double eagle...208 yard 3 hybrid, big sweeping draw. All I could see was the top of the flag. Looked for almost 5 minutes for my ball before playing partner looked in the hole and found it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing with my daughter last Tuesday. 169 yards, 6 iron. Looked great from the start, nice draw. We didn't see it land and roll like we expected it to. As we pulled up to the green, I was expecting to see the ball 10 feet or more from the hole, like it usually is when I think it's a good shot. When we didn't see anything, I knew it was an ace since it felt so good. It hit the back lip, and it must've dropped in or spun back into the pin and down.

I felt bad since the ace stole the thunder from my daughter's eagle three holes earlier. Nonetheless, my wife reminds me to tell people that she still beat me by 5 strokes!

Like the typical WRX club ho here, I already had a new set of irons arriving the next day.

July 13, 2017 9 iron to 130 yard uphill into a light breeze. Playing to center of green , push it just a bit. Ball hits what looks like a foot to the right of pin. Bounces once and stops. Can still see ball. Pulling up the grounds men who is mowing the grass around green is waving at us and smiling. No clue what he is saying as we can still see the ball , Get up to green and the ball is wedged between flag and cup.

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S