Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

In our little weekly men's league this past week, a couple of us got to talking about our best round of golf.

Immediately, I thought back to the 13th hole. It's par 3, the #1 handicap hole on the course, with a couple front bunkers, OB right, trees left. It measures at 190 to the middle. That day there was a pretty good breeze, probably 10-12 mph coming into our face and left to right, pushing any ball that gets hung out right, OB. I was vividly aware of my current lifetime best score within grasp, and frantically attempting not to visualize it disappearing with a push/fade that drifts OB, carrying my tears of despair with it. I pulled a 5 iron, I remember thinking to myself that it is definitely a full, hard 5 with the wind, maybe even a 4. If I go with the 4, and try to make a nice, easy swing, the chances of me blocking it increase, whereas my miss when I try to jump on one is almost always a pull hook. Obviously not the best line of thinking when trying to make a golf shot, I'm aware. I pure the 5 with a gentle draw, landing it softly on the center of the green. I wish I could end this tale with a 18' right to left breaker that died in the center of the cup, but I was completely satisfied with a two putt par. Of all the golf shots that day that led to my best round ever, that 5 iron sticks in my mind the most.

I would like to hear some of your stories, what shots did you make, or maybe you caught a good break on a bad swing, that eventually led to your best round?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember two things about my best round. The first thing was it was 97 degrees and I kept thinking there was no way I wanted to shoot above the temperature. I cleared it with plenty to spare. The second was I did such a good job of staying hydrated by the back nine I had to pee every other hole. Only missing two fairways and not losing a ball were pretty good too.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I remember not scoring particularly well on the front, but feeling like I was playing well. Willing a long birdie putt in on 16 and then saving par on 18 with another great putt. I mainly remember feeling confident and comfortable with my game. A bad bounce or lipped putt didn't bother me. I knew I was playing well and could make up ground.

Good question... shot my best round ever a few days ago in a mens club road tourney, shot 72. Before that my best round was a 73 on a little bit longer and harder course. That day I was striking my irons pure almost every shot. It was incredibly fun, I will never forget that feeling. Number 17, par 3, I think it was about 158 to a back left pin. Hit an easy 7 iron, pured... center of the green with a little draw, landed about 15' away, made the putt.

Funny though, last round where I shot 72, nothing really stood out to me.... maybe that I was hitting GIR a bunch, but I didn't feel I did anything to spectacular. Weird...

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Good question... shot my best round ever a few days ago in a mens club road tourney, shot 72. Before that my best round was a 73 on a little bit longer and harder course. That day I was striking my irons pure almost every shot. It was incredibly fun, I will never forget that feeling. Number 17, par 3, I think it was about 158 to a back left pin. Hit an easy 7 iron, pured... center of the green with a little draw, landed about 15' away, made the putt.

Funny though, last round where I shot 72, nothing really stood out to me.... maybe that I was hitting GIR a bunch, but I didn't feel I did anything to spectacular. Weird...

That's funny because I have told people for years that great golf is pretty boring....Down the fairway, on the green and no drama. When you play with really good players, I think you really start to notice that. They never get behind the 8 ball anywhere during the round and rarely hit any spectacular or memorable shots.

My lowest round ever was a 67 and the only thing I remember about it was a long par putt I made on 16 to get up and down from a bunker...and that ensured that I had a bogey free round. The rest of the round was pretty ho hum. I couldn't tell you one thing about the 5 birdies I made.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Best scoring rounds ever was not memorable in terms spectacular shots. I don't even remember much of what was gong on in that round I dont write done scores, I tag my shots with the gamegolf live. I shot 5 under 67. My drives found the fairway, then I hit the green, scared the holes on most of my first putts had a sand saved that's about it.

My most memorable low first round I had a triple bogey on the par 5 first hole and another bogey in the front nine. Thought I have no hope of shooting in the low 70s that day so I just kept grinding and collect pars and occasional birdies til I birdies the last 3 holes. My buddy kept the score that day and he told me if I made a birdie I'd be shooting 69. Last putt was a 10 footer, I didn't take a lot of time, there's no way I'd missed that putt. My first 69.

Feeling so cocky, the next day I went to play at the notoriously brutal course shot 83. Humbled me quickly. ;)

The round seemed to flow like water - fluid. No extra thoughts, there was nothing positive, and nothing negative. Each iron strike had very little sound. It's only happened 3 times in my life. The putts rolled with perfect speed. There was nothing spectacular.

I recall my mind not get ahead or dwelling on what had already happened.

The one thing I remember was being -8 travelling down the 18Th, a 450y par 4 dogleg left with water all down the left side. Nervous as Nelly, knowing this was the best round I've ever had, sitting on the tee, where my miss is always an overdraw. After striping my tee shot, I ripped a 6 iron at the right side of the green, with the flag tucked on the right side, a little slope funnelling anything just right of the flag right down towards the pin. Unfortunately, my ball was less fortunate, and hit a sprinkler head on the fringe of the green, causing it to rocket 15 yards deep into the back bunker, which lead to my first bogey of the round, and cost me a 64

What stands out is that even though it was my best round ever, the wheels came off on the last three holes. Legs got tired (Walking) and I started to hit it right costing me 3 shots on the final 3 holes. It could have been much better

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

The one time I shot even par 72. The biggest thing I remember is getting on the par 5 18th green in two shots, and knowing if I just 2-putt I'll post a round in a red.

And I three-jacked it.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I only hit 6 of 13 fairways in regulation (5 par 3’s) but GIR was 67%. 30 putts which is on the low side for me but not nearly lights out. I definitely got away with some bad shots but don’t recall ever having to attempt a miracle shot or even a pitch out. The last 3 holes I tried to protect and had my 3 worst holes of the day: 3 putt par on a par 5, bogey 5 on an easy par 4 and then a bogey 4 on a tougher par 3. Would I try to protect next time? Yes, since I only have a sample size of 1 round to go on.

Best I've ever played was in a Matchplay game and it was one of the most satisfying mornings I've had. It was in our junior club league and I'd played against the same guy a couple of months earlier at his course. I'd been really ill and shouldn't have played but battled through. Normally the games were played in a friendly but competitive spirit, however this guy was the opposite of that and was actively lying when I asked about blind shots etc. I lost 4&3 and was massively annoyed by the end of the round.

Come the reverse fixture I asked to be matched against him again and to go out first. We were both off 10 so no shots to be given. I proceeded to play the best golf I've ever played and reached the 12th 7up and +2 for the day. I'd also gone out of my way to be nice to the guy and give him info when needed. The 12th was a short but tight 320 yard par 4. I hit a 3 wood from the tee leaving myself 120 ish, stepped up with my 9 iron and promptly holed out for eagle to end the match!

Normal form was to shake hands and then play out the remaining holes so you get to see the full course. My opponent however decided to storm in, having not taken the loss overly well! Only dampener was that at level with 6 to play I had an excellent chance to beat my career low on my home course of 79 (+7). However instead I lost concentration and dropped 9 shots over the last 6 holes.... such is life!

Best 9 hole score = 30 - twice

I used to play in the evenings after work - just enough time before dark to get in 9. Would have liked to get 18 in on those days.

Best 18 hole score = 64

Best round - I'd have to say the last round I played with my dad. My son also played. Never forget it!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Hitting more or less my usual number of bad approach shots but having not a single one of them hit a tree or a cart parh or bounce into a bunker.

Hitting a low, short, dinky shot off of every tee because I was using a new driver that I could not get any distance or trajectory from. But it was straight!

Not having a single 3-putt all day. This on a course where EVERYBODY 3-putts once in a while because the greens are brutally tough.

P.S. About that driver...my career low round was the 2nd round I'd played with it. Because of the great round I stuck with that sucker for two more months thinking it must have some good mojo. Not sure I ever hit a decent, normal-length tee shot with it. I finally realized I'd shot 76 in SPITE of the new driver, not because of it. Sold it off and moved on. Who knows, if I'd been hitting it 20 yards closer with my usual driver that day I might have shot 73 or 74!

75 on a new to me course. Had three penalty strokes on the front on back-to-back holes. Started the back with three straight birdies...never done that before. Had a 15 footer uphill for my fourth birdie in a row and proceeded to three-putt. Had an eagle putt on 18 and three-putted again. Trust me, I was very happy that day. But, in typical golfer fashion, I still nitpick the mistakes and wonder what if.

Welcome to the board, Skippy.

My absolute best round of golf came in the rain when I shot a 74 at Harding Park. Maybe the rain made me focus more because I pured a lot more shots during that round. Maybe because there was no one behind us which made me really take my time with every shot. And this was before all the technology with the GPS and range finders. Remember actually using the fairway markers and walking them to your ball while estimating the distance to the pin? Took a lot of work. I also remembered that I was playing Titleist 990Bs at the time with a 975D driver and PT fairway woods with S300 shafts.

. And this was before all the technology with the GPS and range finders. Remember actually using the fairway markers and walking them to your ball while estimating the distance to the pin? .

Every round I've ever played. I don't own a cell phone or a GPS gizmo.

My best round ever was a 76 one year ago. Instead of bogeying the two long par 4s on the front, I chipped in for birdie on #1 and hit it to two feet on #9 for a front side record of 36. I needed a four foot bogey save on #14 and got to 18 tee at +3. A par beats my best by two. Naturally, I snapped it into the trees a hundred yards out and need to chip it up and down from 70 feet for the record setting bogey. A three foot bogey putt to shoot your all time best score is not easy.

It was freezing cold, and I was playing with a coworker. I had a jacket on, i had gloves on, and i was trying out a new grip. I wasn't great off the tee, and I wasn't great putting. Was just hoping to have some fun and see a few birdies and it just sort of happened. Had a very memorable shot on a long par 5 with a 3w that left me 10 yards away from an eagle... which i missed.

Drives. Long and in play.

Irons. Hit 15 greens.

Putts. Confidence.

I knew it was a good round didn't really know how good. Blank mind. Got my yardage pulled club and hit. I more enjoying knowing I was winning a ton of money!! Every few holes my opponent said press.... That's a good day.

My best round I've had had been one over par on two different courses. One occurred a few years back. I don't remember anything about that round.

I shot one over two weeks ago. I remember I didn't make anything on the back with the putter. 7 GIR, 7 2 putts. I do remember making one great sand on about #6. Downhill lie, maybe 20 yards to the flag, bounce, bounce, stopped at the hole for a tap in par.

I do know I drove it well that day. I was hitting it long and straight. My missed fwys were barely off the edge. I almost got to a 660 yd par 6 in 3. Just off the left edge and missed 5 footer for birdie.

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58

A couple of years ago I shot -1, I think my best round as a grown-up golfer. I only remember the 5 iron to the green on the 18th hole, a tough par four, to secure par and the score. That day it was mostly fairways and greens, terribly solid and boring.

Now last year I shot birdie, birdie, eagle and birdie from holes 2 to 5 but I couldn't break par. I made like 2 or 3 doubles. Sheer amateur golf.

I was playing with a $20 set of used irons and an $8 persimmon Driver. I was a single paired up with 3 other singles. One was a 22 year old kid that had just gotten onto some sort of tour (so he was technically a Pro) and was playing the course as practice because it was part of a multi course competition in SoCal.

First hole was a downhill dogleg right. He hits bomb draw over the trees to the front of the green and two putts for birdie. Wow!

Every approach he hit was pin high, great distance control. He missed a bunch of putts he should have made and was 2 under. I think he was just practicing though, not really playing for score.

I was playing way over my head and was 10 over. Great day.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece