2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

I posted a couple of months ago about the impact of starting a stretching workout regimen. Since then I began a more thorough workout regimen "Drive 400" (puredistancegolf.com/drive400) designed by a guy named Rob Harrand who I had come across on another golf-addict site. Rob was a pro pitcher and he made his program known on that site just as I was in the mood to do something to improve my body for golf - or at age 65, at least slow its decline. I have not been active in a gym for decades and it was showing. The price was easy to take a chance on (under $30) so I did.

Fast forward 8 weeks or so to the bottom line. I am hitting the ball the best of my life. I have greater range of motion, am stronger and hit the ball farther and not just longer, but also more consistently. And I am just getting started. My back is stronger (I started carrying my bag again! Yahoo!). I just shot my career best (75 -- +3)

Now, is this all from Rob's program? Who knows? I mean, my swing is getting better and better - those seminal lessons from Monte are still paying dividends. But what I think is my body is now better able to support a better swing.

The program has 3 core parts. Mobility exercises, speed swing exercises and strength exercises. The way I do them, the mobility exercises take the most time (1 hr!); the swing stuff about 15 minutes and the strength stuff about 45. So it's a 2 hour workout the way I do it. I do the mobility about 5x/week and the whole thing 3x/week. Embedded in it are a lot of stuff that improves balance. Your whole body - every joint and muscle group involved in the swing - gets a lot of attention in the mobility part. By the time I am done, I am thrashed! All I can say is, I can't wait to see what the impact is in a year. I'm still in the 'old, out of shape' part of the program - it also has more advanced stuff for people who are ready for it.

The reason I am posting this is I really respect young entrepreneurs who are trying to take a passion to market. (I have no financial interest in the program, just respect for Rob). If you've got the time and motivation, I totally recommend this to you. Especially you young guys without a lot of cash, this is a great program for you. If I could reverse time, I would have started and sustained this from my teens onward.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Never heard of it, thanks for sharing, Ill check it out

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

For $20, it seems like it's worth a try. I spend time working out anyway, and I'd rather do something that could help my golf game rather than give me bigger biceps.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

The thing about doing a regimen is - it's like with Monte with swing instruction - the best thing he told me was how to see improvement - from 1/10 swing to 1/7 to 1/5... What I have seen is some days I am as much as 20-30 yards longer off the tee and 10-15 with irons. Then on others it's just 5-10 off the tee. But the trend line is clear.

Of course I wasn't real long when I started this so I had a lot of room to improve.

It's fun to hit it hard! What I think I enjoy the most is hitting a 5 iron 170 again...This is like my gauge. I was down to 155 and now it's 165-170.

There's one other perk. Going to the gym in Hermosa Beach, Ca. and being in the mix with all these people - men and women, old and young - who are exercising. It makes me feel like I'm an athlete. I regained a part of me I had misplaced.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I've got an extra $20 and I'm bored with my current morning workouts, which is causing me to skip them too frequently. I'm in for a trial of this. Just placed the order. Looks like for the strength training piece of the program, you do need access to a gym or very well appointed home gym.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

First test of customer service. I had trouble with the download, which is only allowed once. It could have been because I was trying to download straight to a thumb drive. I'll try putting it onto my computer directly first, then transferring to a thumb drive.

Edit: Went back into my browser's download window where it told me the file was misplaced or missing. I copied the download link, put it into a new tab on my browser, and was able to redownload. DL'ed straight to my computer's hard drive then transferred to a thumb drive.

My very quick review based on about 30 mins of perusal...

The program comes in three PDF documents, one for each phase. Within the PDFs are links to videos showing proper technique for the mobility and stretching work, which requires a foam roller and lacrosse ball. I don't have those things, but bought them on Amazon for an additional $20ish dollars. If you already have them, no additional cost.

The strength training does require access to a gym. Again, if you already have it, no additional cost. If you have a pretty substantial home gym, you could also perform things at home. Rob presents the strength portion as optional, but I'd think your gains are going to be significantly better with the strength training on top of the mobility training than just the mobility training by itself.

It's promoted as a 12 week program, so I'm going to try to follow it as best I can for the full 12 weeks and report back. Won't be taking the time to do baseline Trackman's before and after or anything like that. I just don't have the time. I'll give my anecdotal thoughts though.

The mobility and swing stuff you don't need any equipment for. But the strength stuff is all barbell stuff - squats, bench press, etc There's one exercise that uses a machine.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Initial improvement came from increased mobility. Now it's from the whole package... and I think strength will become more important. I can already tell I don't have to swing as 'hard' (subjectively) to get speed.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I'll be very interested to see how this works for others.

Maybe Rob should join this thread so people can talk directly to him so we can all learn together.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

One other thing. The increase in speed is also an attitude. Monte also talks about this and Rob talks about it. It's using a simple mindset freed up from a lot of mechanical stuff. One of the causes of longer vs shorter days seems to be when I am thinking more about backswing mechanics vs a focus on impact/post impact. When I have enough confidence to really let it fly thru impact, those are the days the full impact on distance improvement happens.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Last thing ... I spent some time really looking thru the content and getting organized - e.g. putting links to exercises and creating a note to track sequence, record where I am, etc. I was pretty cautious about starting strength part and spent 4-6 weeks just increasing range of motion first. I don't want to get injured with the strength stuff and form matters and range of motion is required for good form.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Hi guys. So the program has 3 main focal points. The Warmup, the Swing-Speed Drills and the Strength Training. (there’s also a Nutrition and Sleep Guide). Ideally, and to see the best results, you want to follow all three.

However, you can:

a) Just follow the warmup program.

b) Follow the warmup program and swing-speed drills.

c) Follow the warmup program and the strength training program.

I designed the program so anyone can benefit, it just depends on how much time you have and how much you care to put in.

One thing I've really noticed with Golf and most Golfers is there is really no focus on warming up the body prior to a range session or a round of golf. Most people just stick a tee in the ground and start swinging. That’s obviously up to the individual but I think most people would be pretty amazed at what a proper 15 min warmup can do for their swing-speed/distance and injury prevention.

I spent most of my life as a pro baseball pitcher and if there's one thing Baseball organizations do get right (there’s a lot they don’t), is the importance of a proper warmup routine for keeping their pitchers healthy. Golf is no different.

I really tried to put together a solid warmup routine that I think Golfers will benefit from. It focuses on breaking up scar-tissue and adhesions, increasing range of motion, and muscle and nervous system activation. I think a lot of you will be very surprised at how much of a roll it plays in performance and how much better you will start to feel.

Most of the information regarding the swing-speed drills, the mental aspect of the program (having the mental intent to swing fast, subconscious movement, etc) and the strength training aspects of the program are on the website, so I won't get into all of that here.

I can go on forever but at the end of the day, I’m just a really big believer in keeping things as simple as possible, not overanalyzing and not getting too scientific. I don’t think we give our minds and bodies nearly enough credit.

I think sports-science has it’s place, but I do think most people are way over-coached, get way too analytical, end up internalizing and creating far too much conscious thought, which can lead to slower movement, not faster.

Anyway, rant over. If anyone has any questions about the program I’m totally here to help. Just let me know.

I appreciate it, thanks.

Rob.

• Like 1

Starting tomorrow. Looking forward to some 325 yard drives!!

Why are you thinking you're going to lose distance?

I'm so long I drive with my putter.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

One of the interesting things ... in transition the club is moving backwards and it tends to make the trail arm/elbow lose its position so the shaft gets ott. As I getting stronger I can resist this and then the whole downswing gets more on plane.

I would have never imagined this but it's true....

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Bought the programme yesterday and I have to say initial reaction is very positive. It's clear that this stuff is produced out of a passion and not just some sllckly put together hype designed to make money. The Nutrition and sleep section reflects the best of current thinking, the speed drills remind me of the speedstick programme, tried and tested. The mobility and warmup also look very good and of general health benefit as well for older folks.

I have some health issues right now which prevent me from starting, but am definitely going to give the Warmup and speedsections a serious go when I'm recovered. I already do yoga 3 times a week and have a wonderful strength training programme in place so they're both more or less redundant for me. I'm 69 and starting from a low 90's swingspeed base ( hardly dare to admit that here ...) so will give some feedback along the way.

Well done Rob ! this stuff is seriously underpriced in my view.