Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

The round seemed to flow like water - fluid. No extra thoughts, there was nothing positive, and nothing negative. Each iron strike had very little sound. It's only happened 3 times in my life. The putts rolled with perfect speed. There was nothing spectacular.

I recall my mind not get ahead or dwelling on what had already happened.

this happened for my best round too. think I was really zoned in for each shot. no distraction. no extra thought. minimum chat with playing partner. I think my body condition was perfect to click my swing together effortlessly. hit almost all Fairways and greens. shot 10 in front but I don't remember front 9 because shot 4 in back 9.

don't really remember the play since I really was zoned and did not give any thoughts on how I already played out.

p.s: just checked the stats back and it was 57% FIR and 39% GIR and only 3 3-putt with 37 putts total.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being in a great mood. I was was playing with two older women, and they had me in stitches most of the day with their constant needling of each other. It was about as stress free a round as one could have. I remember it being a day of good misses. I was not firing on all cylinders, only hitting 8 fairways, and 10 greens. I had 5 scrambles for par after leaving the ball short of the green on holes with a front pin position, leading to fairly easy up and downs. The putter was definitely working, as I had 5 birdies. Converting on good opportunities was certainly a key ingredient.

I always thought that to score low one had to really be "on" that day, but this round taught me that a good miss can be as valuable as a good shot.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The fact that I went 1-under on the back 9, my only time being under par for a 9-hole stretch. I think I only hit 2 greens on the back, scrambled out of my mind. Mostly the fact that the final hole was pretty much in a thunderstorm like Caddyshack. Got up and down with a greasy downhill 6-8 footer in driving rain to stay at 1-under and shoot a personal best.

Sadly since then I can rarely shoot within 5 strokes on that day. *sniff*

At my ability level, putts have to fall. The harder I push the less likely that is to happen. I focus on not repeating mistakes like shoving them and getting them to the hole without running them more than 2 feet by. Lately I just chase the putter head at the target on short ones and that seems to have been working.

All my really good numbers have had a few common denominators. Obviously full swing is working, 80-85% on, at least. Then a few good breaks, great pitches/chips around the green, and a few 8 to 16 footers find the cup.

Generally when I'm playing well it's because of my putter, and my iron play tends to hurt me.

Of the 3 best rounds I've ever had, all of them were because my ball striking was on point and I hit a lot of greens. On all of those days, I didn't make many putts, but I never got myself in trouble.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

Just was very comfortable and decisive- as soon as walked up to each shot, immediately was able to clearly picture required shot and a successful outcome.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Sorry but this is going to be a long post...since it's my best, I want to get it out there before I forget...best ever was a week ago, par 72

For the TLDR folks. Highlights are in bold and underlined...

1: Par 4. Driver pulled into left rough, ball below my feet. Easy 8i 145 on the green, 2 putts. Even

2: Par 4. Huge driver, pulled left, 2 cart path bounces, ends up in rough on adjacent par 3 with 107 to go. Hit 50* to about 15 feet and make the birdie putt. 1 under

3: Dogleg par 4: Hybrid 3 off the tee to 160. 7i to 20 feet past the hole, 2 putts. 1 under

4: 190 yard Par 3: 5i fat off the tee. High 58* to 8 feet. Sink the putt. 1 under

5: Short par 4: 3i off tee to fairway. 160 7i to 35 feet past the hole, 3 putt. Even

6: Par 5: Slice driver into wind and right rough. 3i punch to 75 out. Knockdown 50* to 10 feet. Made putt for birdie. 1 under

7: Short par 4: 3i off tee to fairway. Blocked a wedge to 30 feet, 3 putt. Even

8: 200 yard Par 3: block 5 iron to right bunker. Up to 6 feet, make putt for par. Even

9: Par 5: Downwind rocket to 155 out. W to center of green, 25 foot putt. Lip out eagle putt, make birdie. 1 under

10: Par 4: Driver to left side of fairway, hook an 8i to rough left of green. Up with 50* to 4 feet. make putt for par. 1 under

11: 190 yard Par 3: Block right to rough in front. Poor pitch to 15 feet, miss putt. Make bogey. Even

12: Dogleg par 5: Hybrid 3 to right rough (long side of dogleg). Punch 5i to swale that's still 180 away in rough. Hit 6i that pitches pin high and finishes on fringe just behind hole. 2 putts for par. Even

13: Par 4: Downwind driver to 120. 54* to 25 feet above the hole and somehow leave the putt short. 2 putts for par. Even

14: Par 4: Into the wind, hit a low cut driver to 150. 8i to pin high right, 30 feet. 2 putts for par. Even

15: Short, almost drivable Par 4: Driver to right rough. 30 yard 58* to 15 feet behind the hole. 2 putts for par. Even

16: Par 3: Elevated tee box, W to 4 feet above the hole. Misread the putt for birdie and make par. Even

17: Dogleg par 5: Good drive to right rough. 3i to left rough, 30 yards from green. 50* pitch that I play into the bank and roll onto the green. 2 putts for par. Even

18: Par 4: Lots of room left so I try to bomb it. Pulled hard left but straight and ends up on number 10 fairway. W to 20 feet pin high. Downhill right to left breaker that lips out for birdie. Make par. Finish Even.

Got off to a good start, but then made a mess of the easy short par 5 7th. Tee shot is blind, uphill which I hate. Blocked one into the hazard, took a drop, laid up, then chunked an approach for a double. Thought, "oh well so much for this round". But then I chipped in on the #1 handicap hole (9th) for birdie. Got things back on track and was 1 under going to the 17th, tough uphill par 3. Decided to be conservative and play "safe", but flushed the tee shot over the green instead. Managed to save bogey and then par 18 for an even par 72.

My best round was a 75 (par 70) and I did it twice, with the second time being last summer. The thing that I remember most about that round was that I was 2-over after 17 holes thinking I'd easily beat my previous best, then proceeded to choke majorly on #18 with a triple bogey 7.

Ended up feeling more disappointed than if I had shot an 85 I think. Haha.

Sorry but this is going to be a long post...since it's my best, I want to get it out there before I forget...best ever was a week ago, par 72

For the TLDR folks. Highlights are in bold and underlined...

1: Par 4. Driver pulled into left rough, ball below my feet. Easy 8i 145 on the green, 2 putts. Even

2: Par 4. Huge driver, pulled left, 2 cart path bounces, ends up in rough on adjacent par 3 with 107 to go. Hit 50* to about 15 feet and make the birdie putt. 1 under

3: Dogleg par 4: Hybrid 3 off the tee to 160. 7i to 20 feet past the hole, 2 putts. 1 under

4: 190 yard Par 3: 5i fat off the tee. High 58* to 8 feet. Sink the putt. 1 under

5: Short par 4: 3i off tee to fairway. 160 7i to 35 feet past the hole, 3 putt. Even

6: Par 5: Slice driver into wind and right rough. 3i punch to 75 out. Knockdown 50* to 10 feet. Made putt for birdie. 1 under

7: Short par 4: 3i off tee to fairway. Blocked a wedge to 30 feet, 3 putt. Even

8: 200 yard Par 3: block 5 iron to right bunker. Up to 6 feet, make putt for par. Even

9: Par 5: Downwind rocket to 155 out. W to center of green, 25 foot putt. Lip out eagle putt, make birdie. 1 under

10: Par 4: Driver to left side of fairway, hook an 8i to rough left of green. Up with 50* to 4 feet. make putt for par. 1 under

11: 190 yard Par 3: Block right to rough in front. Poor pitch to 15 feet, miss putt. Make bogey. Even

12: Dogleg par 5: Hybrid 3 to right rough (long side of dogleg). Punch 5i to swale that's still 180 away in rough. Hit 6i that pitches pin high and finishes on fringe just behind hole. 2 putts for par. Even

13: Par 4: Downwind driver to 120. 54* to 25 feet above the hole and somehow leave the putt short. 2 putts for par. Even

14: Par 4: Into the wind, hit a low cut driver to 150. 8i to pin high right, 30 feet. 2 putts for par. Even

15: Short, almost drivable Par 4: Driver to right rough. 30 yard 58* to 15 feet behind the hole. 2 putts for par. Even

16: Par 3: Elevated tee box, W to 4 feet above the hole. Misread the putt for birdie and make par. Even

17: Dogleg par 5: Good drive to right rough. 3i to left rough, 30 yards from green. 50* pitch that I play into the bank and roll onto the green. 2 putts for par. Even

18: Par 4: Lots of room left so I try to bomb it. Pulled hard left but straight and ends up on number 10 fairway. W to 20 feet pin high. Downhill right to left breaker that lips out for birdie. Make par. Finish Even.

Great round! I enjoyed reading along and picturing the shots. As I read through, I feel like #8 should be in bold as well. You're even going into the long par 3 and put it in the sand. To get up and down from the bunker to save par, and remain at even going into the par 5 9th, would have been a big boost for me mentally!

So I have 2 best rounds. One is purely best score and the other would qualify as best differential I suppose. They both occurred on the same course, but opposite ends of the length spectrum.

Most years our women's group plays one of our monthly tournaments where the theme is 'Beat the Pro'. Our local club pros play with us sprinkled amongst groups. Net score beating all the pros doubles your payout in prizes. The pros play reasonable tees. Something like they might play for a PAT. So on this particular day it is windy (1 - 2 clubs) and cold (50 - 55 F) with occasional drizzle. I am playing the forward tees and am just trying to keep the ball in front of me. Even par would be a good round under the circumstances. Keeping it around even until the ninth despite a 3-putt par. Ninth is a super short par-4 (215 or something), but over water on the right. Hit 3h to about 30' and make the eagle. Out in 34 and things just click. Started hitting some great wedges in the wind coming home to shoot 66. All the pros struggled in the wind. Despite no strokes my net 66 beat the pros by a ton. Bottom line seemed to be no expectations given the conditions, keeping the ball in play, and the 'beat the pro' incentive.

Strangely similar situation. Playing one Saturday for fun I played 18 in the morning (shot 75 from the blue tees) and decided to play another 18 in the afternoon. Went to check in with the pro shop and one of the pros (going for his Class A, but had not passed the PAT yet) who I knew grabbed me and said he wanted to play. No problem; sounded like fun. We get to the first tee and I was heading to the blue tees when the pro stopped and said we were playing the tips. Ouch, at that time the back tees were a little over 7000 yards. I tried to whine, but he just laughed. I just tried to hit fairways and take whatever I got which meant long 2nd shots to the par 4s, long 3rd shots on some par 5s, and 2-3 irons longer than he hit on the par 3s. I just made no big mistakes, got up and down alot, and made a mini-flop on 8 for bird. I shot 37. He did not play very well and only had time for nine.

I joined a group on the next hole and continued playing back even though they were playing blue to see if I could break 80 with such a good start. I did a bit better than that. Despite hitting all the hybrids and a driver on the par 3 12th, I managed to shoot a stellar 73. It all came down to solid ballstriking that kept me in play and leaving myself the easiest up and downs I could (I had a good number of GIRs, but no more than 8 or 9 at best). My short game was good and I had no expectations. Playing tees that long is really just too much for me. Occasionally magic happens though.

Mine was a 76, but score doesn't matter. What stands out is that I was playing for fun with visiting friends, my club "tournament season" was over so I had low expectations and wasn't concerned about score. I was striking my irons great, with shallow divots ahead of the ball. I got into a bad bunker lie and doubled the easiest hole on the course, but I also hit the pin and dropped into the hole for an eagle on a par 5 that I didn't "deserve" from the shot.

I shot my best round of 68 on a par 70 the day Phil won the British Open.. I went 31-37. 6 birdies and 4 bogeys. I birdied the first 4 holes, the 8th, and the 18th. Unfortunately, because I'm a headcase, the thing I remember most about that round is missing the 15th and 16th greens with a sand wedge and then failing to get up and down.

the thing i'll never, ever forget: on the back 9, i had seven straight holes with a score of 3. included two par 3s, an eagle on a par 5, and 4 birdies. my buddy was driving the cart, and he kept saying "THREE" very deliberately as he wrote down my score. we were always competing against each other, very cool that he kept me loose en route to my personal best.

i also remember very vividly lying to myself. i had been playing well leading up to that day, but hadn't yet had an even par round. (+1) was my best to that point. i kept saying "let's get another birdie here, gotta get to even par" even though i was *clearly* well below par. dunno how or why that mentality worked, but it sure did.

ended up bogeying the last hole to shoot a 68 (-4).

fun, fabulous day. this was 13+ years ago, and i can still recall every single shot on the back 9.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

What I remember about my best round a 77 was that I was driving the ball well, sticking my irons and when I missed a green in reg I was chipping well and putting well. I always said when everything clicked at the same time I would break 80. By the time I was mid way through the back nine I had a lot of confidence going. Because I had that confidence it helped me with my course management on the back nine and taking my lumps when I started to get a little nervous and lose with my shots. Instead of going for that glory make up shot when I got into trouble I played a good recovery shot and felt an up and down with bogey was a lot better than getting a high number with a risky par attempt.

My second best round a 79 was weird because I never felt I was playing that well and after the last hole my buddy said good score you shot a 79. Nothing stood out with that round but I was consistent with my scoring.

I was a little pissed the other week. I had 9 pars and 2 birdies and barely broke 90.

I remember my best shot from my best round from last year, the first time I shot an 80. I was +6 after 14 holes, and I had just realised it, and I tensed up hard.

15th hole, 495 yard Par 5.

First, I Topped my driver about 70 yards into the thick left rough.

Then, I chunked my 5-iron about 150 yards onto the right side of the fairway

This left me with 260 in, slightly downhill. I knew this was probably just outside the range of my 3-wood, so I thought "just take an easy swing, get it up there, and get up and down for par".

I connected with it well, and it disappeared down the slight incline.

Walked up, over the slight crest to the green.

The ball is 2 inches from the hole, tapped in to make birdie. The ugliest birdie ever. But what a sweet shot.

I remember how effortless all my shots were and how well struck they were too. I also remember not really thinking about my swing, but rather what I wanted the ball to do. The chip in from 25yds out on a 647ish yard par-5 finishing hole wasn't too bad either.

the aim juice (beer) on the putting green warming up and the beer I finished by the end of the second hole I guess really helped me loosen up. lol

Bogey free

100% GIR

100% fairways hit

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

The 18th hole stands out for me.

I had never broken 80 after multiple 80's, 81's, 82's, etc. I've been close and always found a way to blow it. Come to 18 needing par to shoot 79. Hardest hole on the course, long par 4 with water all down the left side - a nightmare for a guy who fights the lefts.

Hit a decent drive and had 185 to the flag. Hit a 4-iron long and right, pitched to 6 feet and made the putt.

Was pretty proud of myself for buckling down and making that putt.

Ironically it was on my birthday. Everything was dialed in. I didn't miss but one fairway and it was still very playable. I didn't net any penalty strokes. I didn't miss too many greens. Only one three putt. It was also the first time I ever shot under par for a side.

I shot one over on the front. And one under on the back - that should have been two under but I did miss one fairly short birdie putt on 18. Was shaking too much because it was starting to hit what I was about to accomplish.

Two funny things about this whole story:

First, this course has a par 3 that has my name on it. I rarely par it much less have a shot at a birdie. I managed a GIR and lipped out the birdie putt and settled for a really easy par. That's the sort of a day it was. Holes that usually costs me strokes didn't.

But second - I played the same course the very next weekend. And fell completely and totally apart. I shot a tidy little 85 because of a myriad of bad decisions, bad shots, a lack of concentration, and some bad breaks. (Landed in a giant footprint in a bunker - that netted a double for me) The funny thing was that this course has one hole that I really love. It's a par 5 that I really enjoy because I always seem to be in the right places. I got a 9 on the hole.

Golf has a way of keeping us humble.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft