Short Game Plan - Seeking Recommendations

ddetts

I'm back to golfing after about a 18 month layoff due to multiple surgeries. My short game is abysmal, and I'm hardly getting anything up and down on missed greens. I need a short game plan to get my pitching, chipping and putting back in order.

Background: prior to surgeries, I was playing ok and my short game usually kept my rounds respectable for me (<85) and my full swing wasn't great. Before I sort of lost my full swing for a couple seasons I had my cap as low as 4 and was shooting mid to high 70s fairly often.

I'm married a father of two children, so I don't get get to go to the course and put in 90 minutes every day and play 3-4 times a week like I would like to. I'm going to try to put 3 hours practice a week toward my short game, but I want to use that time as efficiently and effectively as possible to get the most out of it.

That said, does anyone have recommendations for a good short game plan/drills for pitching, chipping and putting? If there are any drills I can also work on at home indoors or in my backyard (pitching & chipping, I haven't put in a putting green yet :swoon: ), that would allow me to dedicate more time toward practice.

I'm simultaneously scouring the internet for good drills and practice plans, but please share what you've got and anything that worked well for you!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't found a good pre-made, structured plan, so I might be going the route of compiling 3-5 practice drills and goals for pitching, chipping and putting each.

Still hoping for some suggestions though!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Dan Carrahers chipping and bunker shots videos are a short learning curve and very effective. I've been studying the James Sieckmann short game book for awhile now. As a single book, it has incredible value. It covers a lot of shots, the mental side of performance, and includes practice plans, games, drills. The greatest thing about it though, is it shows you how to diagnose your own faults based on symptoms. This is huge IMHO.

0. Know what the technique is, inside and out.*

1. Go through fundamentals each practice session.

2. Block practise on what you're working on.

3. Random practice / pressure game.

*If you don't know the technique you're meant to use to execute the shot, you need to get a lesson, dvd, youtube how-to or book to show you. IMHO you don't wanna go trying to figure it out. You want to start with something proven by pro's and make that your own.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

If you can get 20-30 minutes a day into the full swing working on setup and alignment you will hit more GIR. Everybody's different but for a family man with limited time ball-striking might be better suited spending some of that three to four hours, so when you're standing over the ball there's no doubt. putting second chipping third just my opinion.

My advice would be to start with one club. Maybe a 60* or 56* and just hit chips and pitches with it til you've got it mastered. I can hit just about any shot with a 60*, be it high or low, spinning or running. Just sitting on a practice green hitting shots is how I learned. :)

Thanks! for the reply - this is already the method I use, both in practice and on the course. I've always been a 1 club guy for +90% of my short game shots. My current setup is PW - 52* - 58* and I've always been a pitching wedge to match my iron set and 2 wedge type. I use the 58* exclusively for almost all my shots, unless the shot calls for the 52*, like say a longish bunker shot or the chip/pitch is pretty long and uphill and I need some more chase on it compared to the 58*.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

If you can get 20-30 minutes a day into the full swing working on setup and alignment you will hit more GIR. Everybody's different but for a family man with limited time ball-striking might be better suited spending some of that three to four hours, so when you're standing over the ball there's no doubt. putting second chipping third just my opinion.

Personally I disagree with this notion. For me, it's putting/short game (anything inside 150 yards, but especially pitching and chipping)/full swing. Getting up and down saves alot of strokes. That's what separate's pro's and better players (+handicaps) from regular players typically. They can turn 5 into 4. 4 into 3. Etc. That adds up.

You can hit chips and pitches all day long but it won't help if you don't know HOW your doing it and then be able to do it without thinking. This becomes important when you are on the course and have not hit 50 chips in a row. Hitting that one chip out of 80 other shots is when the correct practice shows.

Feeling the shot is important, even more so then the mechanical. Be sure you are practicing a chip pitch technique that is natural to you and has no manipulations to work.

My advice would be to start with one club. Maybe a 60* or 56* and just hit chips and pitches with it til you've got it mastered. I can hit just about any shot with a 60*, be it high or low, spinning or running. Just sitting on a practice green hitting shots is how I learned. :)

Thanks! for the reply - this is already the method I use, both in practice and on the course. I've always been a 1 club guy for +90% of my short game shots. My current setup is PW - 52* - 58* and I've always been a pitching wedge to match my iron set and 2 wedge type. I use the 58* exclusively for almost all my shots, unless the shot calls for the 52*, like say a longish bunker shot or the chip/pitch is pretty long and uphill and I need some more chase on it compared to the 58*.

Cheers. Was thinking that Phil Mickelson's short game video's are good. That might be something you can look into. They're available on youtube.

Dan Carrahers chipping and bunker shots videos are a short learning curve and very effective. I've been studying the James Sieckmann short game book for awhile now. As a single book, it has incredible value. It covers a lot of shots, the mental side of performance, and includes practice plans, games, drills. The greatest thing about it though, is it shows you how to diagnose your own faults based on symptoms. This is huge IMHO.

*If you don't know the technique you're meant to use to execute the shot, you need to get a lesson, dvd, youtube how-to or book to show you. IMHO you don't wanna go trying to figure it out. You want to start with something proven by pro's and make that your own.

Couldn't agree with this more. Dan's video is awesome and really helped fill in some knowledge holes for me on how to handle certain shots. Sieckmann's book is awesome as well.

Appreciate the input! I'll have to disagree with you, at least for my case. I've been assessing my game from my last few rounds and I am clearly wasting shots (to the tune of 3-5 shots a side) that shouldn't be wasted in the form of extra putts either due to not hitting good pitches/chips or just a poor first putt. I'm not talking about low percentage shots like plugged lies in bunkers, needing to hit a super flop from short side of the green, etc. I'm talking about routine, straight-forward chips and pitches that I would expect to get in 5 foot most of the time two years ago.

I think at this point, the short is my area where I can more quickly take 5+ strokes off my rounds and would be the "low hanging fruit". I'd love to get the ball-striking back to good and how it was about 6-7 years ago when I felt great over the ball and could work it both ways with some decent consistency. But, I don't think spending 2-3 hours a week is going to turn around my full swing in a matter of 4-6 weeks. I actually think if I can take some pressure off my long game, by knowing I can get up and down most of the time it will free me up over the ball.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Couldn't agree with this more. Dan's video is awesome and really helped fill in some knowledge holes for me on how to handle certain shots. Sieckmann's book is awesome as well.

Is this the book you are referencing? https://www.amazon.com/Your-Short-Game-Solution-Mastering/dp/1592409067

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Utley or Seikman. Both are great.

Steve

Thanks, I'm going to order Sieckmann's book after looking through the preview on Amazon!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks guys was just glancing at a thread and Bam $16 spent on Amazon.

I'm looking forward to getting it!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Ironically, I've done some circle work, where one technique helped me understand another. This is my recollection of experiences.

1. I WAS quite reasonable close to the pin, but sucked at wedges 40-100m. Used 52deg mostly around the green.

2. Struggled with short game secrets videos, love the content though. Was using 60deg and chasing maximum spin.

3. Got Dan Carraher's videos and understood why my chipping had regressed. Instant improvement with around the pin, no real advice for distance wedges though. Great details on setup changes.

4. Got monte's use the bounce and wedges shows. Helped clarify do's and don'ts, but I didn't improve much because of it.

5. Got more short game secrets videos, still great content, more clarity on technique and troubleshooting, but again didn't improve.

6. Got the Sieckmann books. Spent some time learning the finesse wedge technique and glad I did. It's not rocket science, but its not as straight forward as say, the DC method. However, in trying to master the technique (for lack of a better word) I now understand monte's use the bounce video much better. Similarly my wedge game improved a lot with sieckmann's distance wedge advice. And after watching the Be Better Golf video of monte hitting wedge's I now understand his technique and my distance wedges have again improved. Using 55deg on finesse wedges.

When I can get a bit more confidence it will be interesting to circle back to the short game secrets videos to see whether I can pick up where I went wrong and if I can improve. I certainly feel like I might be able to understand the technique better with some more perspective.

If I was teaching me again:

1. I would learn the rule of 12 bumpNrun and stick to that until I'm making a lot of up and downs. In two afternoons practise I proved I could out do some crisp finesse wedges with a 6i if I stepped it out and did the math. I would honestly struggle to believe this if Richie3jack didn't rave about it. Almost every chipping guru recommends medium height, soft landing, high spin shots around the green. It's probably more important to master for tour level play, but not for B and C graders.

2. I listed my wedge lofts for a reason, I recommend learning whatever finesse wedge technique you like with your sand wedge loft with high bounce (54-56 and 10+ bounce preferably). When you spend 6 months getting on top of it, you could go up to 58-60 if you want that flight, but I wouldn't. I say this because I've always chased maximum spin and you just get better trajectory control by not using a lob wedge which equates to much more consistency even when the roll out is longer on short sided chips. I wish I had this advice.. a little extra roll out is easy to compensate for when you hit 90% of your shots crisply.

3. Three golden pointers for finesse and distance wedges. Understand your right wrist and keep it moving. The smaller the swing, the more you need to feel like gravity takes the clubhead down the arc towards the ball before your wrists pull the handle to impact position (said another way, its a race between clubhead and handle to impact, let the handle win, but by a small and predetermined margin). Accelerate like a mini van!

TLDR; learn rule of 12. Use high bounce SW not LW. Know where you want your right wrist to be at impact and use slow and ~constant speed.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

Ironically, I've done some circle work, where one technique helped me understand another. This is my recollection of experiences.

1. I WAS quite reasonable close to the pin, but sucked at wedges 40-100m. Used 52deg mostly around the green.

2. Struggled with short game secrets videos, love the content though. Was using 60deg and chasing maximum spin.

3. Got Dan Carraher's videos and understood why my chipping had regressed. Instant improvement with around the pin, no real advice for distance wedges though. Great details on setup changes.

4. Got monte's use the bounce and wedges shows. Helped clarify do's and don'ts, but I didn't improve much because of it.

5. Got more short game secrets videos, still great content, more clarity on technique and troubleshooting, but again didn't improve.

6. Got the Sieckmann books. Spent some time learning the finesse wedge technique and glad I did. It's not rocket science, but its not as straight forward as say, the DC method. However, in trying to master the technique (for lack of a better word) I now understand monte's use the bounce video much better. Similarly my wedge game improved a lot with sieckmann's distance wedge advice. And after watching the Be Better Golf video of monte hitting wedge's I now understand his technique and my distance wedges have again improved. Using 55deg on finesse wedges.

When I can get a bit more confidence it will be interesting to circle back to the short game secrets videos to see whether I can pick up where I went wrong and if I can improve. I certainly feel like I might be able to understand the technique better with some more perspective.

If I was teaching me again:

1. I would learn the rule of 12 bumpNrun and stick to that until I'm making a lot of up and downs. In two afternoons practise I proved I could out do some crisp finesse wedges with a 6i if I stepped it out and did the math. I would honestly struggle to believe this if Richie3jack didn't rave about it. Almost every chipping guru recommends medium height, soft landing, high spin shots around the green. It's probably more important to master for tour level play, but not for B and C graders.

2. I listed my wedge lofts for a reason, I recommend learning whatever finesse wedge technique you like with your sand wedge loft with high bounce (54-56 and 10+ bounce preferably). When you spend 6 months getting on top of it, you could go up to 58-60 if you want that flight, but I wouldn't. I say this because I've always chased maximum spin and you just get better trajectory control by not using a lob wedge which equates to much more consistency even when the roll out is longer on short sided chips. I wish I had this advice.. a little extra roll out is easy to compensate for when you hit 90% of your shots crisply.

3. Three golden pointers for finesse and distance wedges. Understand your right wrist and keep it moving. The smaller the swing, the more you need to feel like gravity takes the clubhead down the arc towards the ball before your wrists pull the handle to impact position (said another way, its a race between clubhead and handle to impact, let the handle win, but by a small and predetermined margin). Accelerate like a mini van!

TLDR; learn rule of 12. Use high bounce SW not LW. Know where you want your right wrist to be at impact and use slow and ~constant speed.

I just wanted to say thanks for the detailed response on your experiences, and sharing them. FWIW, I don't necessarily know what caused the downfall of my short game but I suppose it could be time away from golf due to surgeries or adjusting to my new hip still (surgery #2 was a right hip replacement) or some combination of both. I'm trying to put more focus into the time I spend practicing to try to really hone in my issues or mistakes. Last night I noticed I come up short probably 80% of the time on chips and pitches. I also have a tendency to pull pitches and even chips offline, which I think is spillover from my full swing flaw of having am incorrect flat shoulder turn/high right shoulder from the top that causes out-to-in path. As for putting - I'm just not comfortable over the ball. It's like my eyes don't believe what good alignment looks like and I get my feet lined up off to where I want to be aimed. For that I started doing the gate drill on some straight 5 foot putts and should probably do the string line drill a lot too.

I would say I am in a similar position to your background - I'm pretty serviceable around the green with chips, shorter pitches & high lobs when needed. Although my bunker game is also awful right now too. It's when I get to distance wedges 50-110 yards that I really start to be less effective. I'm really looking forward to getting the book

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Seikman (sp?) is great, his technique is kind of the opposite of general thoughts, as a boo it's great but the thing that really puts it together for me was this book coupled with the Monte "use the bounce" video. It's the best 25 bucks you will spend on short game. Same concepts as the book - let the club almost flip through impact using the bounce etc - but Monte explains it so well and you see it in action not just photos. I watched the vid, practiced it once, and had the best chips and pitches I've ever had the next round. Very simple, natural and effective.

Also the Paul Runyan short game book is great but is a whole different approach. simple as well.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Seikman (sp?) is great, his technique is kind of the opposite of general thoughts, as a boo it's great but the thing that really puts it together for me was this book coupled with the Monte "use the bounce" video. It's the best 25 bucks you will spend on short game. Same concepts as the book - let the club almost flip through impact using the bounce etc - but Monte explains it so well and you see it in action not just photos. I watched the vid, practiced it once, and had the best chips and pitches I've ever had the next round. Very simple, natural and effective.

Also the Paul Runyan short game book is great but is a whole different approach. simple as well.

Thanks, I am actually planning on purchasing both of Monte's short game videos - Use the Bounce & Wedges - and then eventually Call Your Shot once I feel a little better with my full swing.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks, I am actually planning on purchasing both of Monte's short game videos - Use the Bounce & Wedges - and then eventually Call Your Shot once I feel a little better with my full swing.

The new short game video will be available soon. Hopefully within the next month. Use the bounce is 45 minutes. The new one is going to be way more extensive, detailed and descriptive, with more drills and shots.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

The new short game video will be available soon. Hopefully within the next month. Use the bounce is 45 minutes. The new one is going to be way more extensive, detailed and descriptive, with more drills and shots.

Can't wait for it to be available Monte - thanks!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My PayPal account is waiting to send payment...

• 9 months later...

Dan Carraher's stuff has been amazing for my chipping. I have had the chip yips for 3 years now and His "thumb down" and use the bounce method has finally stopped the yips. It takes some practice, especially if you like low chips. I have been just using my 56 degree sand and have had to adjust to how high the ball flies up in the air. More air time than ground time.

It has also helped me with hitting off of tight lies. I think trying to chip off tight lies early in the year is actually were my yips started from.