2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

Great round! I enjoyed reading along and picturing the shots. As I read through, I feel like #8 should be in bold as well. You're even going into the long par 3 and put it in the sand. To get up and down from the bunker to save par, and remain at even going into the par 5 9th, would have been a big boost for me mentally!

Thanks! Great point about #8, it was a big boost but I guess it didn't stand out because when I think of that hole, I think of my buddy missing his birdie putt for a men's night deuce pot win! Felt bad for him...

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy question to answer: Only thought was where I wanted the ball to go. Easy to thought to comprehend but difficult to do...

exactly what my best round felt like. yesterday, because of this thread, I tried to do the same thing. I kept having swing thoughts creep into my head. I kept stepping back and trying to start again. but same thing kept happening.

definitely easy to say "do this" but very difficult to execute. at least for me...

Yesterday was my best round ever, but ironically not my lowest round. Played Vistoso, which on its own can be somewhat challenging but considering it was a 1-2 club wind (sometimes more) all day, my 77 with 7 birdies was pretty phenomenal. This was with 2 doubles and a triple bogey as well.

The one thing that stood out actually was just my overall club striking and putting. I was reading the latest fire issue of Golf magazine and they mentioned the 3 different types of power moves, either glider, spinner or launcher, and after doing the little tests they had I found out I am a launcher. So I go to play in our men's club event which is also my first round of our match play event. I get to the range early to practice and focus on using this power move and am achieving really good, consistent results. Okay, lets see how it takes to the course. First hole is a 345 yard hole, I blast driver and have 50 yards to a front pin and almost hole out from there and it just took off from that point.

I had to be careful though with this move because there were a few times that my upper body would move ahead of the ball leading to some pushes (ergo the doubles and a triple). My putting though was key! I was deadly inside of 10 ft and even made a couple birdies in the 20-30 ft range. The highlight of the whole thing was I found a Taylormade Project A ball and I gotta say, I think I found a new ball lol. I played the last 6 holes with it and birdied 3 of them!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Easy question to answer: Only thought was where I wanted the ball to go. Easy to thought to comprehend but difficult to do...

exactly what my best round felt like. yesterday, because of this thread, I tried to do the same thing. I kept having swing thoughts creep into my head. I kept stepping back and trying to start again. but same thing kept happening.

definitely easy to say "do this" but very difficult to execute. at least for me...

"Golf is simple, but it's not easy." - Paul Azinger.

I've shot my best score on three different occasions in roughly five years. Once was in a tournament. What I remember the most is absolutely nothing. Everything seemed sublime, like I was simply taking a stroll through the course. I seemed to have a better since of acceptance and felt like I wasn't trying too hard. I just grabbed a club and hit the ball. The putts were simple reads then step up and stroke it. I've tried unsuccessfully to replicate this on just about every outing, obviously without the same amount of success. So it doesn't all click very often but man it's friggin great when it does.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

The way I was thinking the day I had my best round ever was very different than any normal or bad round. Tee shots I was just trying to put in good position and didn't care about how far they went or any swing thoughts, just my landing area. Approach shots were similar. I wasn't overthinking the type of shot or spin or anything else really. I just saw the pin and tried hitting the fat part of the green that would leave an uphill putt as close to the pin as possible. The biggest thing that stands out though has to be the confidence I had with my putter (even though my two bogeys came from 3 putting the two par 3's on the back). Other than those two holes, I putted great and had 100% confidence in my stroke while trying to make everything I looked at.

Many of the great shots and putts I hit that day have been forgotten, but the simplicity of my thoughts and how effortless everything was I'll remember forever.

The thing I remember most about my best round, was my worst swing on #12 that cost me a bogey. Put an awful swing on a hybrid and hooked into hazard. The way I was hitting wedges and putting, if i only hit the FW, it could have been a 2 stroke swing

G430 LST 9°  RDX Blue 70 TX
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
4-W Z-585 -Tour V 130x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
DF 2.1 

Not being stupid like normal!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I remember playing perfect golf and being -2 after eight holes, which I have done dozens of times, I also remember playing the last six holes close to perfect and taking another stroke against par, business as usual.

What really stands out is that I didn't ruin everything with the unavoidable mid-round dip. I made a series of bad swing on holes 9-12 but with a mix of luck and good short game I saved four pars and kept the bogey-free streak alive.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

My best rounds ever were even par (on about 5 or 6 different courses), but never under par. :slow_en:

The reoccurring theme was keeping it in play off the tee and great iron play/striking. I've had several rounds that I was -3 and fell apart on the last three holes and wound up shooting even. I've also had rounds where I should have shot under par, but couldn't make a birdie putt to save my life (like missing 8 or 9 make-able, 10 ft or less birdie putts in a round). It's these rounds which are the soul killer.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

The round seemed to flow like water - fluid. No extra thoughts, there was nothing positive, and nothing negative. Each iron strike had very little sound. It's only happened 3 times in my life. The putts rolled with perfect speed. There was nothing spectacular.

I recall my mind not get ahead or dwelling on what had already happened.

this happened for my best round too. think I was really zoned in for each shot. no distraction. no extra thought. minimum chat with playing partner. I think my body condition was perfect to click my swing together effortlessly. hit almost all Fairways and greens. shot 10 in front but I don't remember front 9 because shot 4 in back 9.

don't really remember the play since I really was zoned and did not give any thoughts on how I already played out.

p.s: just checked the stats back and it was 57% FIR and 39% GIR and only 3 3-putt with 37 putts total.

Each of those 3 rounds were on vacations or holidays. No thoughts about work to cloud the head.

Work needs to go!

After 3 weekends of flirting with breaking 80 (81, 80, 81), finally got the job done. Most memorable part was the par 5, 18th hole. Good drive then instead of hitting a 3-Wood and ending up behind tree, hit 7-iron to a great lie. Third shot, absolutely flushed another 7-iron onto the green to about 4 feet (i can still see the ball flight in my mind). Sank the birdie putt, added up my round and wrote down 77 on the scorecard. Let me tell you, a walk-off birdie to card a 77 is about as intoxicating as any drug I know (and I know a few from my adventurous college days).

I shot my career round last week. It was so good that I KNOW that I will never match it.

What stood out the most was that I never doubted myself. When the birdies started adding up I just laughed. On the 17th green I sank a 30 footer with 15-20 feet of break and I just laughed.

I didn't hit my driver that much better than normal. I didn't hit my irons that much better than normal- I did putt better than normal. My mindset was GO LOW.

The score was nice 71, but more importantly it showed me how important taking the second shot from fairway is; and being able to consistently play 3wood/hy/long irons and get there in two. This is the only way (for me) to score well by taking advantage of par 5's, have scorecard, but not right next to me, don't remember how many birdies on par 3, but a bogey on a 3 is as detrimental as not making birdie on a 5 if trying to get your lowest. As always short game is so important, but being able to get everything meshing consistently will keep scores low for those days out enjoying.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

After 3 weekends of flirting with breaking 80 (81, 80, 81), finally got the job done. Most memorable part was the par 5, 18th hole. Good drive then instead of hitting a 3-Wood and ending up behind tree, hit 7-iron to a great lie. Third shot, absolutely flushed another 7-iron onto the green to about 4 feet (i can still see the ball flight in my mind). Sank the birdie putt, added up my round and wrote down 77 on the scorecard. Let me tell you, a walk-off birdie to card a 77 is about as intoxicating as any drug I know (and I know a few from my adventurous college days).

When you get to be my age, it's better than sex. :-)

The funny thing is that my best round was pretty unremarkable and easily forgettable. I was hitting fairways. When i wasnt hitting fairways I wasnt missing by much. When i missed by alot i was able to punch out to leave myself a decent 3rd shot. My chipping was pretty good and my putting was ok. The biggest thing for me was that i didnt have any big blowup holes (which is damn near impossible for me at this point). I didnt have any double bogeys. I had 2 birdies (which was a record for me at the time). I just had a long run of unremarkable pars. :) Granted. My best score ever is an 82. So I'm not shooting the wings off a fly like some of you boys. But it is my best round and one I'm still proud of.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

My ball striking was insane good with two exceptions. I hit a hook with driver that hit a rock and came back into the middle of the fairway. And I thinned the heck out of a wedge and hit a bullet that was heading to purgatory, until it hit a tree behind the green and bounced back to inside of 10ft. it was just one of those days.

My ball striking was insane good with two exceptions. I hit a hook with driver that hit a rock and came back into the middle of the fairway. And I thinned the heck out of a wedge and hit a bullet that was heading to purgatory, until it hit a tree behind the green and bounced back to inside of 10ft. it was just one of those days.

I hope you bought a lottery ticket after the round. ;)

My best rounds have always involved lights out putting. I once had a round where I had 20 putts and shot even par hitting the ball like donkey doo doo. And shot 7 under with 25 putts hitting great shots for most of the round. Just as you have rounds where almost nothing goes right you also get one of those rounds where almost everything goes your way. Too bad that ratio is like 50-1. LOL.

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

My best was 20 years ago, but what stands out that day was 2 things. The way I felt stood over putts and how well I lobbed with my mizzy 60. Felt like I was gonna can everything from any distance and I must have got up and down with 60 about 6 times.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove