US Open: Erin Hills

Hankshank

We have read the fantastic threads about the history of the Course, but now it's time for show.

Anyone who has seen the course the latest days? Any words on the weather during the tournament? I see "chance of thunderstorm" in the forecasts for thursday, should make Phil up on his toes. Any player reactions to the course of lately? Any recent news? What can we expect? Broccoli greens...?

Looking at the layout

http://www.usopen.com/course

What do you make of it? (I usually start at 18 and work my way backwards. I seldom see anything of 1-9 except from Augusta and The Open). Seems pretty Muirfield-ish. The last 3 holes don't offer any risk reward unfortunately. Only Pars and bogeys there?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice story of the week so far - Davis Love III will caddie for his son who has got into the event as an alternate.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

We have read the fantastic threads about the history of the Course, but now it's time for show.

Anyone who has seen the course the latest days? Any words on the weather during the tournament? I see "chance of thunderstorm" in the forecasts for thursday, should make Phil up on his toes. Any player reactions to the course of lately? Any recent news? What can we expect? Broccoli greens...?

Looking at the layout

http://www.usopen.com/course

What do you make of it? (I usually start at 18 and work my way backwards. I seldom see anything of 1-9 except from Augusta and The Open). Seems pretty Muirfield-ish. The last 3 holes don't offer any risk reward unfortunately. Only Pars and bogeys there?

Locally, we have not heard any recent news about the course. The rough is getting a lot of play. On Instagram, a few weeks ago, Wesley Bryan dropped his ball in the rough and it completely disappeared from camera view. Kevin Na just cut a video about it. The fairways are fairly generous, so it will be interesting to see how much intermediate rough the USGA allows between the fairway and fescue. Players have said the course plays shorter than the card, part due to elevation and part due to the fairways being fairly firm.

Erin Hills closed for public play last fall. The only rounds played this year have been practice rounds and a few media / charity scrambles to drum up interest for the Open. I would be shocked if we hear anything negative about course conditioning this week.

After a wet spring, it's been dry here for the last week. Forecast calls for 20-40% chance of thunderstorms. The biggest variable this week may be the wind. Forecasts are calling for prevailing winds (out of south and west) about 5-10 mph; temperatures in mid-to-upper 80s which is warmer than typical for this time of year.

Again, for those visiting, just know there is no official public onsite parking. The official general parking is two different lots, both 20 miles away with a fleet of shuttle buses running constantly. They are hauling gravel in to lay down in the permit parking areas near the venue. Unofficial parking near the venue is going to be mostly farm fields but the wet spring we've had, I don't know if I would chance it, especially with thunderstorms in the forecast. My friend who lives a mile from the course said he is seeing signs for unofficial parking in fields near the course for $40 per vehicle.

Great.. I get to hear the players complain that the course is too hard all this week. Everyone plays the exact same course. Your playing for a 12 million dollar purse with the winner getting 2.16 million.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Another train wreck coming. I think I will play golf this weekend instead watching.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I have never understood Pros complainig about the rough..... if its too penal dont hit it there. Thye all have amazing length these days so back off and play for accuracy. It tests the whole game. Keeping the ball in play should be rewarded as much as distance off the tee.

Dont agree with unplayable fast hard greens though

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

Kevin Na's already shook. MC for him. Everyone has the same conditions, don't whine cause you spray the ball.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

That is unfortunately common for courses with native just off the fairways. Here in Kansas, there are a few big amateur events at Sand Creek Station (final USGA Public Links, 2014) and Southwind. If you miss the fairway by one yard, the native is so healthily watered and thick, it is impossible to find and/or hack out. You'd rather hit it 30 yards into the junk where it is drier and thinner.

It is like the opposite of graduated rough, where you are punished more the more you stray.

Geoff Shackelford:@GeoffShac

.@ErinHillsGolf in amazing condition but irrigation overspray of first five yards of native rough will be @usopengolf lost ball problem.

DCFPEZnUIAAOQUJ.jpg

DCFPD1KVoAAvo00.jpg

DCFPD3GVoAADyYj.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I hope the USGA get the set up right. They ruined a masterpiece when they went to Pinehurst. Chambers Bay should never have been used and last year's rules fiasco means they are struggling for credibility.

How did they "ruin" the masterpiece with Pinehurst?

Exactly! I thought Pinehurst was very good, both before and after the restoration.

I hope the USGA get the set up right. They ruined a masterpiece when they went to Pinehurst. Chambers Bay should never have been used and last year's rules fiasco means they are struggling for credibility.

Plays too easy when missing the fairway after the Coore/Crenshaw revamp. You can get some bite on the ball from the hard pan sand, lush grass - not so much.

I love C&C designs, I still think visually #2 is da bomb. Hope the wire grass can mature a bit to add more challenge to 2024.

That is unfortunately common for courses with native just off the fairways. Here in Kansas, there are a few big amateur events at Sand Creek Station (final USGA Public Links, 2014) and Southwind. If you miss the fairway by one yard, the native is so healthily watered and thick, it is impossible to find and/or hack out. You'd rather hit it 30 yards into the junk where it is drier and thinner.

It is like the opposite of graduated rough, where you are punished more the more you stray.

.@ErinHillsGolf in amazing condition but irrigation overspray of first five yards of native rough will be @usopengolf lost ball problem.

DCFPEZnUIAAOQUJ.jpg

DCFPD1KVoAAvo00.jpg

DCFPD3GVoAADyYj.jpg

WOW

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Plays too easy when missing the fairway after the Coore/Crenshaw revamp. You can get some bite on the ball from the hard pan sand, lush grass - not so much.

I love C&C designs, I still think visually #2 is da bomb. Hope the wire grass can mature a bit to add more challenge to 2024.

Eh, I tend to disagree. If you look at the scoring, it set up perfectly for a US Open. With the outlier being Kaymer, the field played only a couple under par and most players were over par...that's the way it should be.

I went to a practice round that year and sat mostly at the greens watching approach shots. I don't think I saw one professional stop it on a dime - all of them were playing to the middle of the greens.

I think this US Open at Erin Hills is the most excited I've been to watch a tournament in a very long time. Can't wait to see how the guys handle this type of layout.

I agree it will be fun and am looking forward to it. I do think the media was way more jacked about Chambers Bay prior to the actual tournament than they are with Erin Hills. Same with the Pinehurst revamp.

Separately, anyone else worried about the forecast? My quick glance indicated scattered thunderstorms Thursday through Friday. I'd like to avoid another Valhalla 2014 if possible.

DCFPEZnUIAAOQUJ.jpg

DCFPD1KVoAAvo00.jpg

DCFPD3GVoAADyYj.jpg

Carnoustie in 1999 called, they want their rough back!

This could be a brutal week of golf...looking forward to it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

From tall fescue to the other side tall fescue, you've probably got 50 to 60 yards of width on most of those holes. So... don't hit it in there. If you hit it in there more than once or twice for the week, you shouldn't be the US Open Champion anyway.

The course looks fairly honest. It may be difficult, but it does look like good shots are rewarded. The USGA let the greens get away from them at Chambers Bay and good shots weren't necessarily rewarded. Difficult is ok. Unfair isn't. Erin Hills, at least from the flyovers and shots of the course looks like a fair test. We shall see on Thursday.

Pinehurst 2 is horrible. There is nothing attractive to the course with the redesign. Core/Crenshaw redesigned a course and made it very unattractive.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Pinehurst 2 is horrible. There is nothing attractive to the course with the redesign. Core/Crenshaw redesigned a course and made it very unattractive.

Course was fantastic back in February and was absolutely stunning!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Course was fantastic back in February and was absolutely stunning!

+1

I haven't played it yet, but it looks way better. I remember watching the 1999 open there and wondering why it would get the tournament. It was such a boring layout although it had domed greens. Post renovation, it looks spectacular and I can't wait to get down and play it.

The further you spray it wide... the better the chance of a decent lie you have... the first 10-15 yards of the native grass and brutal. Made par on the 18th hole and never touched the fairway or rough. My buddy made par on 18 by hitting three consecutive bunkers, never touched grass until he hit the green...

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Why does a course have to be visually attractive to be a good US Open venue? I've played there, post-renovation, and it's fantastic...